What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reggie Wayne -- Overall WR1 at end of the year? (1 Viewer)

Wyld Stallyns

Footballguy
Just wondering if the SP has any insight as to how the loss of Anthony Gonzalez has been affecting Wayne's numbers so far this year? He's on pace to potentially finish as the top overall WR in FF for 2009, but I can't help but wonder what happens when Gonzalez returns...

In 2008 Wayne finished with: 82 Receptions, 6 TDs, 1145 Total Yds, and 4 games over 100 YdsIn 2009, after 4 games he has: 26 Receptions, 3 TDs, 400 Total Yds, and 2 games over 100 YdsAt that pace, he'd finish the year with: 100 Receptions, 12 TDs, 1600 Total Yds, and 8 games over 100 Yds

That's obviously a high estimate, but numbers in that ballpark would surpass his career year in 2007 and easily put him in the running for top overall FF WR. So the question is, can he keep it up?Also, if not Wayne as the top overall WR this year -- then who??

The way Peyton is playing I think he would have done this with or without Gonzo. and conversely, I think Gonzo's stats would be pretty similar to Garcon's.

Wayne has been phenomenal this year thus far but I'm still picking Moss to finish as the #1 WR. Brady is getting better ever week and Moss is still getting open almost all the time and getting a lot of targets.

Nobody I would rather have than R. Wayne. Manning looks outstanding, and they can't control the ball with the run. So it will be pass first. I am not a Gonzo fan, I like the guys they have in there now better. It has nothing to do with Gonzo, and more to do with the Colts playing better and passing more. Right now it is hands down, R. Wayne is the best fantasy WR going. Maybe Moss will explode, but I would trade Wayne for anyone WR now. I am actually surprised how good the Colts looked, I had expected a bit of a decline.

IMO Gonzalez has no bearing on how productive Wayne will be, unless you truthfully believe that Gonzalez is better than Garcon (which I don't think he is). If anything Garcon instead of Gonzalez would bring down Waynes numbers, which he hasn't done.

Don't overreact, stay cool.

Gonzalez won't be a factor one way or another in terms of taking away Wayne's opportunities. The only caution I have is that the Colts' 2nd half schedule will be a little harder than the 1st half (including home games vs. the Jets, Pats, Niners and Broncos, and a road tilt with the Ravens).

Those projections you have for Wayne aren't far off of his 2007 stats (other than yardage). I don't know if Wayne will finish as the #1 WR this year (top 5 probably), but I don't think the return of Gonzalez will slow him down at all. Any targets Gonzo would've gotten are already being distributed between Garcon and Collie. Reggie never comes off the field, and you aren't going to have Gonzo, Garcon, and Collie on the field at the same time unless Dallas Clark comes off. So I don't think Gonzo's return will have any affect on Wayne. Honestly, this much WR talent for the Colts is a great thing for Reggie because teams can't focus solely on him. They have to worry about Clark, Garcon, Collie, and Gonzalez. I never really expect Wayne to be the top WR in fantasy, but he is always near the top and very consistant.

I don't think Wayne will have enough TDs to be the #1 WR. I definitely see top-5, but there are several other WRs who are better threats for 12+ TDs than Wayne.

Not that I would have predicted it or anything, but I'm drinking the Steve Smith II Kool Aid at this point.

I've seen nothing in 4 weeks to suggest he won't finish the year with obscene numbers. Just made a trade for him where I went with the assumption he'd produce equal or better than Fitz from here on out, in order to upgrade at RB. Deal was essentially Slaton and Fitz for Brown and SS2. Feel like I got raped in name value, but will come out ahead in production.

I didn't predict it, but I'm casting my lot with him now. :thumbup:

Gonzo won't affect anything when he returns. He's lost his job. He was never cut out to be the #2 there anyway. He's built for the Stokely role. Garcon in that role CLEARLY makes that offense better than Gonzo ever would.

Gonzo won't affect anything when he returns. He's lost his job. He was never cut out to be the #2 there anyway. He's built for the Stokely role. Garcon in that role CLEARLY makes that offense better than Gonzo ever would.
A lot of us feel the same way, but we can't be sure Caldwell is with us.

Users who are viewing this thread