What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (15 Viewers)

i have heard good things about it too. makes me think of "sleeper cell" on Showtime maybe and reflect not fondly. potential is there.
I think we watched the pilot for sleeper cell...if it's what I remember, bad in all the ways informer is good. Hokey, miscast, bad writing and definitely something I've seen before.
we wrapped up The Informer last night. definitely recommend, but with some caveats.

it hits some big bumps along the way with some goofy motives/writing (for the motives/actions), and I found the who-dunnit reveal to be cringe/groan-worthy.

that said- the rest is pretty excellent and still justifies watching this, IMO. great casting and acting- especially raza (eta: Nabhaan Rizwan... google says it's his tv debut), who gives a star-making performance. paddy considine is fantastic, as is most everybody else. I think the expression is "mise en scene"- the show nails it (at least to an outsider)... putting me into the sounds, looks and feel of a london I'd never get to know (immigrants, council-housing, kebab-shops, art-school, etc) that even if fake, never felt it. well filmed, well acted, well written (in terms of dialogue)... just has some moments that make you question what's going on (unfortunately) and an truly unfortunate reveal. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Captain Obvious. Is it a recollection of what he did? Is it a dramatization? Is it a biography?
little bit of everything.  mainly a documentary, with some bits of interview with him.  i have a morbid interest in serial killers, so i found it really interesting.

Just noticed that The Raid : Redemption is now on Netflix. 

This is an excellent kung fu/shooter/action film. Very gory and very violent so not recommended for the little ones but it's got some fantastic choreographed fight scenes. 

I know nothing about Ted Bundy except he was a serial killer. What is the series about?
The genesis of the series revolves around a reporter who was able to interview Bundy on death row in Florida and, unlike many who had tried before him, was able to get Bundy to talk on tape about the crimes.  It's a very thorough examination of his crimes and the series uses his taped recordings periodically when looking through his reign of terror.  There are a lot of interviews with former cops, friends of his, lawyers, psychiatrists, etc. 

I thought I knew a lot about the guy, but this series was fascinating in both breadth of discovery and footage of Bundy on film and tape.  I mean, the guy escaped custody/jail....TWICE.  He was diabolical and used his looks, charm and intelligence to commit some of the most heinous crimes of this century.  We don't know the full scope of all his victims; there are still missing young woman who have never been found that are probably victims of Bundy.  He was a sick mofo, man.  

He has a daughter.  He was able to spawn with this wife (WIFE - A WOMAN F'n MARRIED THIS GUY WHILE HE WAS ON DEATH ROW!!!!111) when she came to visit him and the guard turned his back on them.  This wasn't a conjugal visit.  Towards the end, he started helping the FBI solve other crimes because he could think like the other monsters out there, which I'm guessing is what sparked the idea for Silence of the Lambs.

It's creepy stuff, man.    

The genesis of the series revolves around a reporter who was able to interview Bundy on death row in Florida and, unlike many who had tried before him, was able to get Bundy to talk on tape about the crimes.  It's a very thorough examination of his crimes and the series uses his taped recordings periodically when looking through his reign of terror.  There are a lot of interviews with former cops, friends of his, lawyers, psychiatrists, etc. 

I thought I knew a lot about the guy, but this series was fascinating in both breadth of discovery and footage of Bundy on film and tape.  I mean, the guy escaped custody/jail....TWICE.  He was diabolical and used his looks, charm and intelligence to commit some of the most heinous crimes of this century.  We don't know the full scope of all his victims; there are still missing young woman who have never been found that are probably victims of Bundy.  He was a sick mofo, man.  

He has a daughter.  He was able to spawn with this wife (WIFE - A WOMAN F'n MARRIED THIS GUY WHILE HE WAS ON DEATH ROW!!!!111) when she came to visit him and the guard turned his back on them.  This wasn't a conjugal visit.  Towards the end, he started helping the FBI solve other crimes because he could think like the other monsters out there, which I'm guessing is what sparked the idea for Silence of the Lambs.

It's creepy stuff, man.    
Yes we know all this, but what is the series about?

General Malaise said:

It's creepy stuff, man.    
So it's about Ted Bundy the serial killer?

jamny said:
I watched the trailer for Polar and it started out looking good but once they started showing the cartoon character villains, I knew this wouldn't be for me.
It was interesting watching Mads Mikellsen playing the thing completely straight while everyone else around him was doing a live action cartoon.

Overall I wouldn't recommend it, but Mads is outstanding.

It's like a less-interesting "Sucker Punch"

shadyridr said:
Im 3 episodes into Punisher S2 and yeah it sucks so far.
Watched the full thing.  Jon Bernthal is amazing.  Everything surrounding him was below average.

I know there's a certain amount of suspension of disbelief that goes along with watching superhero stuff, but man there were some HUGE eye rollers that you had to try really hard to ignore.

Ultimately I'd recommend it, but only slightly.

based on recommendations from this thread I'm going to give Travelers a shot this week.

The Marvelous Ms. Maisel is cleaning up at the awards shows...but not sure if it's my bag...any strong opinions on this? 

Last edited by a moderator:
based on recommendations from this thread I'm going to give Travelers a shot this week.

The Marvelous Ms. Maisel is cleaning up at the awards shows...but not sure if it's my bag...any strong opinions on this? 
How about a fair to middling?

Mrs Maisel is worth the watch if the first two eps aren't annoying for you.

How about a fair to middling?

Mrs Maisel is worth the watch if the first two eps aren't annoying for you.
I got really into it after the first 2 or 3 episodes. We're almost done with the first season and it's good but I don't think I'll jump into season 2 right away. I think Maizel is the one I like the least. The actress is doing a great job but she is starting to get annoying. Great supporting cast though! Good show but I don't think I'll be recommending it to people.

Women aren't funny, which is the inherent problem with any show/movie featuring a female standup.  The crowd that loves this got Kevin Hart kicked off the Oscars, so it's a hard pass for me

Women aren't funny, which is the inherent problem with any show/movie featuring a female standup.  The crowd that loves this got Kevin Hart kicked off the Oscars, so it's a hard pass for me
Didn't expect to run into something like this in the Netflix thread..."women aren't funny"? Just, blanket statement? Huh. 

Saw the first episode of Trigger Warning yesterday and really liked it, but watched a few more last night and didn't like a couple of them.  Some good ideas buried in pretty bad execution.  

Finished S2 of "Atlanta" and liked it pretty well. Not perfect but some really good work done. I liked episodes that focused on individual characters this season - Darius, Alfred and Vanessa - more than Ern's but that's quibbling. It's fun seeing them more fully fleshed out and the novelty of that is there. Finished strong down the stretch. The guy playing Alfred is so good!

Onto "Lodge 49" next!

Finished S2 of "Atlanta" and liked it pretty well. Not perfect but some really good work done. I liked episodes that focused on individual characters this season - Darius, Alfred and Vanessa - more than Ern's but that's quibbling. It's fun seeing them more fully fleshed out and the novelty of that is there. Finished strong down the stretch. The guy playing Alfred is so good!
This show isn't genius, as it was hyped to me. But it is very good an probably one of the most artfully filmed series I've ever watched. 

This show isn't genius, as it was hyped to me. But it is very good an probably one of the most artfully filmed series I've ever watched. 
Its genius in the sense that its made to make fun of black culture and the stigma around black culture.  Its like an inception level show where he (glover jr) is busting on everyone in the show and watching the show.  It took me a bit to figure it out but season 2 is masterful. 

i don't know that it was pushed out like that to me. i do recognize and accept that it is different voice/experience than i'm used to. i like that it's illuminating in that regard. 

Its genius in the sense that its made to make fun of black culture and the stigma around black culture.  Its like an inception level show where he (glover jr) is busting on everyone in the show and watching the show.  It took me a bit to figure it out but season 2 is masterful. 
i would mostly agree with this. probably why Ern is the most complicated character in the show. i still crack up thinking about the invisible car...

:yes:

i don't know that it was pushed out like that to me. i do recognize and accept that it is different voice/experience than i'm used to. i like that it's illuminating in that regard. 
Atlanta kind of reminds me of many David Lynch films. Stick with me: the show is sometimes meandering, through-composed, and so random that it possesses an intelligence and subtext you so rarely get to see in a series or a movie. 

If this is shtick, it's lame. Please don't do it. If it's not shtick, reconsider posting. 

Mrs. Maisel is phenomenal, Rachel Brosnahan is incredible in the role, the set work, the dialogue, acting and the storylines are all top notch imho.  One of the best shows going right now.  I usually watch one a week on sunday nights with my wife and only one ep left in s2, but Im sure it will have at least a 5 season run.  Top notch stuff for me.

I’m not sure what to say about Maisel. I love all the parts: Gilmore Girls is a top 10 all time for me, love Brosnahan, Shaloub and the period. It just doesn’t feel real the way Gilmore did. It feels artificial and forced. I want to like it, but I don’t. It feels like work. 

Another similar show is Outlander. I love everything about it in the pitch but it just doesn’t click for me.  Wish it did. 

I’m not sure what to say about Maisel. I love all the parts: Gilmore Girls is a top 10 all time for me, love Brosnahan, Shaloub and the period. It just doesn’t feel real the way Gilmore did. It feels artificial and forced. I want to like it, but I don’t. It feels like work. 

Another similar show is Outlander. I love everything about it in the pitch but it just doesn’t click for me.  Wish it did. 
I get what you're saying and I agree. Couldn't put my finger on it but yeah, it's a bit too choreographed, like a stage play. Very precise delivery on everything. At least it seems like that to me. Unlike Mad Men that had a real natural feel to it.

If this is shtick, it's lame. Please don't do it. If it's not shtick, reconsider posting. 
So he can't say women stand up comics aren't funny??  Is it the same standard saying the same about Male comics.

Users who are viewing this thread