What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (5 Viewers)

To say this is awesome would be wrong. Awesome isbt nearly a strong enough word . This is breaking bad good.

It really stayed true to the graphic novel.
Yeah, but with the preview of the rest of the season there is a lot of stuff in there that I don't necessarily remember. It looks like a good mix of staying true to what made it so good while adding some new wrinkles as the season goes on.

Thought it was very good, but not great. Still good enough that I will be tuning in, but not sure how well it can play out this story over the course of a season.

Impressed with the special effects. Not sure if I like the actors yet. I thought the dude with his son over-acted a bit. Definitely has potential.

One thing I always wonder about watching zombie movies...are the characters familiar with the concept of zombies before they show up? When the dude with his son explained how the dead came alive, how they became "walkers", the cop was like huh? I would have said, "So...they're zombies?" Is the concept completely foreign to everyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved it. I really like how there was sympathy for the zombies developed. Cant wait for next week.

Thought it was very good, but not great. Still good enough that I will be tuning in, but not sure how well it can play out this story over the course of a season.
i don't think you have to worry about this. the comic series is way ahead of the show, and i have not heard anybody who keeps up with it say the story has got stale.

Impressed with the special effects. Not sure if I like the actors yet. I thought the dude with his son over-acted a bit. Definitely has potential. One thing I always wonder about watching zombie movies...are the characters familiar with the concept of zombies before they show up? When the dude with his son explained how the dead came alive, how they became "walkers", the cop was like huh? I would have said, "So...they're zombies?" Is the concept completely foreign to everyone?
IMO, most times the concept of zombies is foreign to the characters - i.e., they're not horror fans and as such would not be "in the know" as to what they're experiencing. The characters know that these people were alive, died, and then came back to life. It's only over time that they come to realize what they're facing.

That half zombie will be in my nightmares tonight. Excellent makeup/effects on her.
I posted this video on page 1 but think you'd really enjoy it. It's specifically about the makeup fx used to create "Bicycle Girl", the zombie you're referring to here. They talk about choosing the actress, designed/applied the prosthetics and finally a time laps video of the make-up application.Bicycle Girl

Enjoy!

I thought it was slow and the acting was not great

When he was sitting there in the upstairs window with his wife in the scope, I was rolling my eyes at his over dramatic performance

I will give it a couple of more episodes before dumping it

wazoo11 said:
It really stayed true to the graphic novel.
It actually comprised roughly one half of the first trade paperback (about the first three issues of the series), and was quite faithful. The biggest departures were:
2) In the comic Morgan and his son are MUCH less skeptical of Rick and the whole wife/zombie situation is never addressed

3) In the comic Rick's wife and Shane don't have the romantic relationship, which is a BIG deal that way Darabont portrays it because it calls into question how they're going to handle the first big "HOLY CRAP" moment of the series, which I presume is an episode or two away in the TV show

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

So is that the lead character's wife and kid hanging around with the partner in the tent city?

So is that the lead character's wife and kid hanging around with the partner in the tent city?
:goodposting: I can't wait to see what happens when they all meet back up and our guy sees his partner playing hide the salami with his wife.

I loved it. I really like how there was sympathy for the zombies developed. Cant wait for next week.
Really liked the scene with the 1/2 zombie, and liked the concept of the wife returning to the house - thought that was really creepy (although I agree with the other posts that the sniper scene was a little over-done).

i don't think you have to worry about this. the comic series is way ahead of the show, and i have not heard anybody who keeps up with it say the story has got stale.
I'll stick with it. There were a couple of interesting things, and a couple of cliche things (partner with the wife). Like I stated - it was definitely still good enough to keep watching. Pleasantly surprised at how graphic it was. Also there was a trailer for another show that looked good, but can't remember the title - was it The Killing or something like that?

I didn't see the problem with the sniper scene, I actually thought it was pretty tense and set up a nice dynamic between people just trying to survive (the father and son), people trying to be pro-active (the cop) and people caught in the middle (the campers).

Interestingly there is another Zombie mini-series on called Dead Set.

Storyline

It's eviction night at the Big Brother house, but something very strange is happening; the dead are coming alive and attacking the living. When zombies attack all of the audience outside, the Big Brother contestants are unaware of the death outside the fan-proof (and zombie-proof) big brother house until the show's runner, Kelly, comes into the house and warns them of the doom outside. Stuck with even less contact with the outside world, the house-mates must sneak out of the house to get supplies, without being seen by the zombies.

:lmao: I can't wait to see what happens when they all meet back up and our guy sees his partner playing hide the salami with his wife.
That's what I was getting at re: a departure from the comic.
I did not read any spoilers from the series but this topic was a key component of the early part of the story in the comics.With out giving away any of the comic spoilers, people watching for the first time with out reading need to understand the brilliance of the comics is not how the survivors deal with the zombies, its how the survivors deal with each other that drives the story.I loved the first episode and hope it continues with this quality. Perfect ending spot for the first episode.

I'll stick with it. There were a couple of interesting things, and a couple of cliche things (partner with the wife). Like I stated - it was definitely still good enough to keep watching. Pleasantly surprised at how graphic it was.

Also there was a trailer for another show that looked good, but can't remember the title - was it The Killing or something like that?
An upcoming American crime drama television series, entitled "The Killing", created and produced by Veena Sud. Based on the Danish miniseries Forbrydelsen (The Killing), it is being produced by Fox Television Studios and executive produced by Fuse Entertainment. The series' first season, consisting of 13 hour-long episodes, is scheduled to premiere on the cable channel AMC in 2011.Set in Seattle, Washington, and filmed in Vancouver, British Columbia, the series follows three stories centered around the homicide of a young girl, Rosie Larsen, and the ensuing police investigation

I'll stick with it. There were a couple of interesting things, and a couple of cliche things (partner with the wife). Like I stated - it was definitely still good enough to keep watching. Pleasantly surprised at how graphic it was.

Also there was a trailer for another show that looked good, but can't remember the title - was it The Killing or something like that?
An upcoming American crime drama television series, entitled "The Killing", created and produced by Veena Sud. Based on the Danish miniseries Forbrydelsen (The Killing), it is being produced by Fox Television Studios and executive produced by Fuse Entertainment. The series' first season, consisting of 13 hour-long episodes, is scheduled to premiere on the cable channel AMC in 2011.Set in Seattle, Washington, and filmed in Vancouver, British Columbia, the series follows three stories centered around the homicide of a young girl, Rosie Larsen, and the ensuing police investigation
Thanks.

In the camp of "it was good, but not great". Was a little disappointed, as I was really looking forward to it. I'll continue to watch, but I'm not gonna miss Eastbound & Down for it again.

If the zombies become peripheral I probably won't stick with it. Based on the writing and acting in the first episode, which was very average, I don't think a drama about these people dealing with each other is enough to support a good show.

If the zombies become peripheral I probably won't stick with it. Based on the writing and acting in the first episode, which was very average, I don't think a drama about these people dealing with each other is enough to support a good show.
how can you make that determination based on one episode?You haven't even met most of the important characters yet. I never understand people giving up on a show based on one episode especially if it is an arc based type show. This is not Law and Order where every episode stands on its own. This is going to be a continuous story.

how can you make that determination based on one episode?You haven't even met most of the important characters yet. I never understand people giving up on a show based on one episode especially if it is an arc based type show. This is not Law and Order where every episode stands on its own. This is going to be a continuous story.
Agreed. Right now, there are three "sets" of non-Zombie characters and I have interest in learning how they got to this point and where they go from here.

:) Lots of folks missed out on the outstanding Rubicon series recently because they expected instant gratification.

Agreed. Right now, there are three "sets" of non-Zombie characters and I have interest in learning how they got to this point and where they go from here.
Another thing I LOVE about the comic, and therefore what we'll see in the TV show, is that characters come and go. Much in the way shows like Sopranos seemed more "important" because main characters were offed at any given moment, there is NO ONE in The Walking Dead that you can be sure will stick around for the next episode.

Thought the first episode was very good. The sets and make up and special effects were tremendous...I wonder if costs will come into play with this like in some other series (Rome comes to mind)?

But there are people here doing just the converse. Praising the show after just one episode. The show had ninety minutes to hook me in some way. Either by drawing interesting believable human characters or by delivering awesome zombie action set pieces. It did neither.Instead it gave me a meditative look through the eyes of characters I found flat and kind of dull. And it started the story at what is (for me) the absolutely least interesting time. After the zombies have taken the world by surprise but before the survivors have formed unique adaptations to a world with a zombie infestation.

But there are people here doing just the converse. Praising the show after just one episode. The show had ninety minutes to hook me in some way. Either by drawing interesting believable human characters or by delivering awesome zombie action set pieces. It did neither.Instead it gave me a meditative look through the eyes of characters I found flat and kind of dull. And it started the story at what is (for me) the absolutely least interesting time. After the zombies have taken the world by surprise but before the survivors have formed unique adaptations to a world with a zombie infestation.
I can't speak for others but I think part of the reason for that is because many of us are familiar with the source material, and know that this first episode so faithfully followed the first few issues, that we know what's to come in the next few episodes and how much it delivers on what you're asking for.

I'm sure they'll hook you up with some flashbacks as they introduce characters.

Also the beginning was a rip off of 28 days later.

I would have also done the entrance into Atlanta differently. I really like the horse idea, but have him galloping into the city only to come upon a little girl running for her life from some zombies - have him shoot the zombie , the little girl comes to the side of the horse and then the horde starts filling the street with zombie from all the buildings - the girl falls prey after he franticly tries to get her on the horse with him, he then falls off the horse and ends up in the tank.

What do you think?

Also the beginning was a rip off of 28 days later.I would have also done the entrance into Atlanta differently. I really like the horse idea, but have him galloping into the city only to come upon a little girl running for her life from some zombies - have him shoot the zombie , the little girl comes to the side of the horse and then the horde starts filling the street with zombie from all the buildings - the girl falls prey after he franticly tries to get her on the horse with him, he then falls off the horse and ends up in the tank.What do you think?
I think what you wrote has no basis from the comics. The characters at the camp site already gave the viewer a hint that no one should be in Atlanta. I doubt some little girl would survive in that chaos.

But there are people here doing just the converse. Praising the show after just one episode.
But you seem to missing the point that most of the people who liked the first episode follow the source material. Since the first episode held fairly close, and we know how good the story gets from here, it gives us hope.In no way is anyone claiming the series is going to be great. No one knows that yet, just as no one knows whether the show is bad or not. Making a decision either way after one episode is always going to be littered with errors.

Users who are viewing this thread