What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (13 Viewers)

Yeah, him signing somewhere would probably change the equation.
He'll sign with someone but at this point probably waiting until after the draft if not camps. Only teams I've heard have any interest in him is Tampa which has for sure offered him a meager deal and multiple reports that Russell Wilson is still pushing for him.

I'm surprised. I thought he did enough on and off the field last year to at least earn a little more trust and demand in the league and at least get what someone like AJG got paid but I don't think he's even looking at DJAX money. I think he might need a new agent.

He'll sign with someone but at this point probably waiting until after the draft if not camps. Only teams I've heard have any interest in him is Tampa which has for sure offered him a meager deal and multiple reports that Russell Wilson is still pushing for him.

I'm surprised. I thought he did enough on and off the field last year to at least earn a little more trust and demand in the league and at least get what someone like AJG got paid but I don't think he's even looking at DJAX money. I think he might need a new agent.
You can't screw over three different NFL franchises and expect to garner much interest.  It has nothing to do with his agent.  The fact that all these other guys have already re-signed with Tampa and he hasn't speaks volumes about what AB is all about.  Hell, Brady force fed this guy the ball so he could hit incentives late in the year.

He hasn't changed. 

The Bucs are doing him a favor by offering a contract at all.  They don't need him. 

You can't screw over three different NFL franchises and expect to garner much interest.  It has nothing to do with his agent.  The fact that all these other guys have already re-signed with Tampa and he hasn't speaks volumes about what AB is all about.  Hell, Brady force fed this guy the ball so he could hit incentives late in the year.

He hasn't changed. 

The Bucs are doing him a favor by offering a contract at all.  They don't need him. 
Sorry, Antonio, we have all your targets going to Tyler Johnson this year. 

He hasn't changed. 

Sometimes you forget why you have people on your ignore list and then they do you a solid and remind you why you felt you were better off if you never had to read their drivel.

tangfoot said:
Because Evans and Godwin were hurt for stretches. 
The only thing I'd rebut that with is that Evans and Godwin are pretty average in terms of health, which means you're unlikely to get seventeen games out of them, so you'll see Johnson and Miller again. Depth at WR with Brady is key, and it's a good thing he has Johnson and Miller, who serve really two different roles, Johnson operating more out of the slot, Miller from the outside.

I'm bullish on Johnson because I drafted him in dynasty, and I feel like he was a good pick, but there are so many, many mouths to feed in TB that I'm not sure he'll really get a shot until the dust settles and Godwin can't be franchised anymore. And that means another two years before seeing a clogged roster spot come to fruition.

He's trying to win a job against two top-flight professionals and a guy who was a potential HoF candidate in Brown, who Tampa is offering a cut-rate contract to. But he's done well enough so that Tampa can offer Brown a cut-rate deal and feel confident in their back-up plan. (I know, Tampa is cash strapped, too, but they'd find a way to get Brown done if it needed doing, IMO.)

So everyone waits on Brown and where he winds up, is what I'm saying, too.

The only thing I'd rebut that with is that Evans and Godwin are pretty average in terms of health, which means you're unlikely to get seventeen games out of them
I think you need to revisit this theorem.  Evans has missed a total of 6 games in seven seasons, and Godwin played all 16 games his first two seasons before missing a total of six in the last two seasons.

I think you need to revisit this theorem.  Evans has missed a total of 6 games in seven seasons, and Godwin played all 16 games his first two seasons before missing a total of six in the last two seasons.
As a starter, Godwin has averaged thirteen games a year. He was WR4 and 3 his first two years. Evans has missed a game in almost every year, including three the year before this one. Godwin is below average for health, actually, Evans above, as you note. But they're likely to miss time.

It sounds like AB values AB more than anyone values AB. Reportedly wants 4M++?

Bucs only have like 2.5 to spend? 

Don’t see a lot of teams lining up for his services. 

tangfoot said:
Because Evans and Godwin were hurt for stretches. 

Was getting snaps when they were healthy, and when they weren't.  Outsnapped Scotty Miller in the playoffs.  

He's their #3 now, and Godwin's on a one year deal.   :shrug:

It was kind a silly line I said above, about Brown's snaps, but TJ should have been buried this past year.  He wasn't. 

It sounds like AB values AB more than anyone values AB. Reportedly wants 4M++?

Bucs only have like 2.5 to spend? 

Don’t see a lot of teams lining up for his services. 
There are always work arounds. They had no way to pay Gronk either, so they gave him an $8M deal to play one season . . . but tacked on 4 dummy / voidable years to be able to only have him count $3M against the cap in 2021.

I don't know enough about Tampa's cap situation to begin to figure out if they can somehow squeeze AB onto the roster. They could probably find a way by giving him incentives that would count against next year instead and adding in multiple dummy years like they did for Gronk. Whether they are interested in doing that is a different discussion. They could set things up where he only counted $1M against the cap in 2021 if they wanted to.

There are always work arounds. They had no way to pay Gronk either, so they gave him an $8M deal to play one season . . . but tacked on 4 dummy / voidable years to be able to only have him count $3M against the cap in 2021.

I don't know enough about Tampa's cap situation to begin to figure out if they can somehow squeeze AB onto the roster. They could probably find a way by giving him incentives that would count against next year instead and adding in multiple dummy years like they did for Gronk. Whether they are interested in doing that is a different discussion. They could set things up where he only counted $1M against the cap in 2021 if they wanted to.
The Bucs might be able to do so, but it sounded like AB wasn’t interested in giving them a discount. 

Bucs have as much money to spend as they want, they are pushing void years into the future. They’re not going to give AB more than 2M though and he apparently wants 4.5. Ain’t gonna happen. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Bucs GM Jason Licht said the team has had discussions with free agent WR Antonio Brown throughout the offseason. 

Licht added that the Bucs have "put an emphasis on bringing back players from last year," and that Brown would be no different. "Put an emphasis" is a bit of an understatement from Licht. Running it back with the 2020 roster has been the sole focus of Tampa Bay's offseason. Backup OT Joe Haeg earned the largest contract for a Tampa Bay player who left the team. He signed a two-year deal with Pittsburgh for $4.6 million. Brown is one of the few players to even start a game for the Bucs that they haven't gotten a deal done with. He just resolved his legal troubles with a sexual assault accuser so Brown should be closing in on a deal with the Bucs soon. 

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter

Apr 21, 2021, 1:02 PM ET

I thought TB wants to resign him?  As long as they aren't too cheap I feel he should resign with them.
They want to resign him but he's doing what he should be doing and trying to get more money from someone else.

That he settled his legal situation makes it less likely he returns to Tampa.

They want to resign him but he's doing what he should be doing and trying to get more money from someone else.

That he settled his legal situation makes it less likely he returns to Tampa.
I suppose I can buy that.  After all, he got a ring.

NBC Sports Edge:

Bucs signed Antonio Brown to a one-year, $3.1 million deal. 

The veteran can make up to $6.25 million this year. Reports that the two sides were far apart in negotiations were apparently exaggerated. Brown, 33 in July, couldn't muster much interest on the open market, and returns to friend and confidant Tom Brady, who has recruited Brown for years. The Bucs re-signed Brown a week after he settled a lawsuit in which a longtime friend accused him of sexual assault -- one of several sexual misconduct allegations launched against the mercurial receiver in recent years. Brown, after catching 45 balls for 483 yards and four scores in 2020, will once again serve as Tampa's No. 3 receiver behind Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. In ten 2020 games together, Evans had a 20 percent target share, Godwin had a 19 percent target share, and Brown saw 16 percent of the team's targets, per ESPN's Mike Clay. The band -- warts and all -- remains intact. 

RELATED: 

Mike Evans

, Chris Godwin

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Apr 28, 2021, 8:05 AM ET

Fantasy speaking the only winner of Tampa's off-season is Brady. Everyone else is in a crowded mess unless or until attrition hits.

TVT 0 N S T A said:
OJ Howard didn't play last season?  His stat line looked remarkably similar to every other year... 
I'm referring more to his contributions to Tampa's offense overall.  I don't play fantasy football anymore.  He's an exceptional blocker and capable weapon in the passing game when utilized.  He's more well rounded than Brate and provides quality depth in the event Gronk likely can't replicate the 20 game season he just played.

Glad I could make you laugh though.  :)

Anyway, Antonio Brown is still a great weapon.  Happy to have him back.  Per PFF:

Even after an extended absence from football, the 32-year-old Brown returned for the final nine games of the regular season and ranked seventh among all wide receivers over that span (min. 100 snaps) in receiving grade (86.0). Brown has one sub-80.0 receiving grade in his entire career — a 79.0 mark in 2018.

His 9.4-yard average target depth and 10.7 yards per reception marks from 2020 were both the lowest since his rookie season in 2010, but in contrast, his 5.6 yards after the catch per reception was his highest mark since 2013. With Mike Evans and Scotty Miller taking more of the deep targets, Brown produced in a different way than he’s accustomed to — but still quite efficiently. He forced eight missed tackles on 45 receptions, with that 17.8% rate being the highest since his rookie season in 2010. Brown is still one of the NFL’s best wide receivers.
Now he gets a full off-season and full regular season with Brady. 

I'm referring more to his contributions to Tampa's offense overall.  I don't play fantasy football anymore.  He's an exceptional blocker and capable weapon in the passing game when utilized.  He's more well rounded than Brate and provides quality depth in the event Gronk likely can't replicate the 20 game season he just played.

Glad I could make you laugh though.  :)
Just razzing - I would love to see OJ Howard live up to his potential as an offensive threat.  I think he was on his way to a breakout year last year and hoping he can rehab from injury and get his career on track.  You are right though, he is a polished TE.  I don't see Arians using him in the passing game much with all these ponies in the stable.  Probably look to re-sign him for cheap for post-Gronk.

My understanding is that this is the followup civil suit to a criminal case that he already settled and served an NFL suspension for, so there shouldn't be any 2021 repercussions right? I try not to keep up with AB drama...
Tampa beat writer I follow tweeted out a few times yesterday that there will be no NFL or team related repercussions involving this, it's already accounted.

Antonio Brown will have to pass a physical following recent knee surgery before he re-signs with the Bucs. 

Brown remains a free agent until he can pass Tampa's physical, despite his agent telling media outlets last month that the veteran had re-signed with the Bucs and confidant Tom Brady. Bucs head coach Bruce Arians said Brown had knee surgery Tuesday, four months after he missed the NFC title game with a knee injury. It's unclear if Brown further hurt the knee by playing in the Super Bowl. “We wanted AB back. He was a model citizen the whole time he’s been here," Arians said of Brown, who recently settled out of court with a woman who accused him of rape and now faces an assault and battery lawsuit filed by a moving truck driver. Brown, 33, would be the only member of the Bucs' championship team to not return for 2021 if he can't pass a physical following his procedure. 

SOURCE: ProFootballTalk.com 

May 19, 2021, 8:21 AM ET

Odd timing for offseason surgery. So much for that full offseason with Brady. 
Guessing he went to take his physical and did not pass so got his knee cleaned up.

Read it was a minor procedure and it's May so I don't see this impacting anything with Brady other then chance of missing a few player organized informal workouts, at most.

ETA- Actually just read some more that his having general discomfort in his knee.This actually happens a decent amount were players try to rehab minor ailments away and end up getting surgery a few months into off-season. Read it's a 3-4 week recovery.

Bucs re-signed WR Antonio Brown. 

The saga is over. Brown, 33 in July, returns to confidant Tom Brady after undergoing knee surgery and passing a physical. He'll operate as Tampa's No. 3 wideout behind Mike Evans and Chris Godwin. His fantasy upside lies in an injury to Evans or Godwin, though he should make a decent option in deeper fantasy formats with multiple flex spots. Brown, who this offseason settled a lawsuit alleging rape, faces a separate assault and battery lawsuit. Brady and Tampa head coach Bruce Arians were adamant about bringing Brown back into the fold. 

SOURCE: Rick Stroud on Twitter 

May 25, 2021, 9:56 AM ET

Bucs WR Antonio Brown's new contract includes multiple incentives. 

Brown, 33, officially re-signed with Tampa this week after undergoing knee surgery and passing a physical. The veteran in 2021 will have a base salary of $1.1 million, along with $333,333 incentives for recording 50 receptions, 70 receptions, 600 yards, and 800 yards. Brown would make an extra $333,333 if he scores five touchdowns this year, and other $333,333 if he manages seven scores. He had 483 yards and four TDs in eight games with the Bucs in 2020, which extrapolates to 966 yards and eight touchdowns. Brown should be able to hit most of his contract bonuses if he can play a full season. 

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter 

May 26, 2021, 9:31 AM ET

Brown is one of those guys that are good to have on your fantasy team.  The upside is still there, yet cheaper now.
I'll agree with this. He is pretty much worthless when trying to trade him, but I feel like he'll be a pretty decent option this year. 

Brown, 33, officially re-signed with Tampa this week after undergoing knee surgery and passing a physical. The veteran in 2021 will have a base salary of $1.1 million, along with $333,333 incentives for recording 50 receptions, 70 receptions, 600 yards, and 800 yards. Brown would make an extra $333,333 if he scores five touchdowns this year, and other $333,333 if he manages seven scores. He had 483 yards and four TDs in eight games with the Bucs in 2020, which extrapolates to 966 yards and eight touchdowns. Brown should be able to hit most of his contract bonuses if he can play a full season. 
They left off his $2M signing bonus.

ANTONIO BROWN WR, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

The Tampa Bay Times' Matt Baker reports Antonio Brown was sued by KCB Marketing for allegedly failing to pay commission on more than $2 million in earnings.

Death, taxes, and Brown having legal issues. The 32-year-old began working with KCB Marketing, which helped him secure $2.4 million through “marketing, endorsement, and public relations opportunities with various third party vendors,” in July 2017 and has since refused to pay at least some of the company's commissions. It's a recurring theme as Brown has also been sued by a celebrity chef who said Brown owed him more than $38,000 and a personal trainer who said Brown owed him $7,200. The firm is seeking more than $100,000 in damages. Regardless, Brown should be available in Week 1 for the Buccaneers.

SOURCE: Matt Baker on Twitter

May 27, 2021, 9:47 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread