What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (6 Viewers)

Trade him. He'll be 31 next summer... can't see his value getting any higher, but plenty of room to be a pain in the ###.
Bill Barnwell‏Verified account @billbarnwell

The Steelers re-structured Antonio Brown’s deal in March of 2018 and would owe $21.2 million in dead money on their cap if they traded him before June 1. That alone makes an AB trade extremely unlikely for a variety of reasons.

7:53 AM - 1 Jan 2019

The Steelers re-structured Antonio Brown’s deal in March of 2018 and would owe $21.2 million in dead money on their cap if they traded him before June 1. That alone makes an AB trade extremely unlikely for a variety of reasons.

Am I mistaken or were they able to carry over the 14 million from Bell not signing.

As the best receiver in football over the past several seasons, it must have galled Antonio to see how much press Odell got for things like fighting a kicking net and feuding with Josh Norman (which got him a sweet endorsement deal and more national exposure).

It’s almost like AB has decided “any publicity is good publicity” and is going the diva route to raise his national profile.  Might even be a good business decision for him.  After all, how many of us remember a briefly-good WR named Chad Johnson mainly for his celebratory antics and ridiculous name change?

As a fan of the NFL, and specifically of the Steelers, I hate it.  But you have to admit getting attention in any legal way has worked out well in the past.  And elite receivers who eschew such antics just don’t get the same persistent buzz.  How often does Larry Fitzgerald lead sports center, despite amassing lock first ballot numbers?

The league has come a long, long way from “act like you’ve been there before.”

Am I mistaken or were they able to carry over the 14 million from Bell not signing.
Good question.  Dunno how they 'book-it' but they didn't pay LeVeon when he was sitting out and his salary was on last year's books so it makes sense that the NFL would allow them to carry forward cap savings but I honestly don't know.

AB’s had an eventful six months between the throwing furniture off a balcony, threatening to break a reporter’s jaw in TC, squawking when Juju does well and now this fiasco. That all said, the timeline between Juju, a WR not named Brown being named team MVP and AB going scorched earth happened in the same week. 

His cap number is $22.1M though so they aren't taking a hit to do it, they would save just over $1M

His cap number is $22.1M though so they aren't taking a hit to do it, they would save just over $1M
So the cap number is 22.1M with AB and 21.2M without AB?  If AB's mind is right it's a no-brainer to keep AB instead of "saving" 900K.

So the cap number is 22.1M with AB and 21.2M without AB?  If AB's mind is right it's a no-brainer to keep AB instead of "saving" 900K.
I think he may be hell bent at tearing the relationship down man. He was tweeting and going on snapchat with James Harrison during Tomlin’s presser. I don’t know what option the team would have. They’re not going to do a designated July 1 cut but even if they decided to trade him after that point 7mil is a hard pill to swallow. He may have to actually be willing to renegotiate to get a trade. 

Said this the other day but if they trade him they probably got to wait till June 1st which would obviously mean if they are getting picks it's for a 2020 pick. Maybe they can agree in principle with another team but still would be very difficult to consummate the deal before June 1st, no way really to for instance get a pick in this years draft and with the Big Ben window so small I just can't see trading him after June 1 when you won't get benefit of that compensation until the 2020 season.

As for Brown's antics I'm actually a little worried something is mentally off with him, been a really strange year. But my best guess is he's got issues with Big Ben and/or his standing in the organization hierarchy relative to Big Ben that is at the center of all of this. In short I think he feels disrespected with stuff like Big Ben refusing to call him his #1 WR and JuJu winning team MVP. I do think he'd welcome a trade, just don't think he's going to get it, not this off-season anyway.

So the cap number is 22.1M with AB and 21.2M without AB?  If AB's mind is right it's a no-brainer to keep AB instead of "saving" 900K.

The bolded is the question.  IMO he’d owe the team (and city) a huge explanation and apology for ditching practices, pretty much forcing his deactivation, and then leaving mid-game in week 17.  I’m not sure how many of the current players are interested in him after that - not when he’s making the kind of bank he is.  And PIT management might want a rider on the current contract so that they can easily recover if he goes off the rails again.

He may have to actually be willing to renegotiate to get a trade. 
Maybe someone else can weigh on this but I was mulling this over yesterday and don't think there is anything they can do. The issue is acceleration of his signing bonus, I don't think there is a remedy to fix that no matter what he his base pay would be.

Right, but that's the issue.  If he's a distraction and a cancer then cutting him saves them $1M and 1M headaches.  I was refuting Barnwell's tweet that implied that it wasn't cap-feasable to cut AB, because it totally is.

Maybe someone else can weigh on this but I was mulling this over yesterday and don't think there is anything they can do. The issue is acceleration of his signing bonus, I don't think there is a remedy to fix that no matter what he his base pay would be.
Correct, it's $21.1M regardless.  Someone mentioned waiting until after June 1 but I'm not sure that even applies if it's a trade.

I think he may be hell bent at tearing the relationship down man
It sure looks that way - but it's absolutely crazy.  Dude has over 100 catches for something like 6 years running (too lazy to look it up) and led the league in TDs with 15 and he's not happy in Pittsburgh?  WTF?

Ya, I have no idea. Reporters, cap experts and speculators on twitter also have zero clue how the cap situation would be handled. This is the most frustrated I’ve been as a Steeler fan. Yes it’s been a culture of winning my almost entire life and that makes me spoiled but seeing an active and former prominent player attacking the organization is pretty sickening on top of the Lev Bell crap earlier this year.

Right, but that's the issue.  If he's a distraction and a cancer then cutting him saves them $1M and 1M headaches.  I was refuting Barnwell's tweet that implied that it wasn't cap-feasable to cut AB, because it totally is.
I just posted a few minutes ago detailing fact he likely would not be dealt until after June 1 and then it made less sense since no pick can be gained in this years draft and if I'd read the latest news I'd not bothered to write that because what you are saying in the bolded is spot on and after reading some stuff I just came to realization I'm looking at this all wrong.

It's not about the cap hit or even trade compensation, it's about removing what they view as headache AND gaining what I just read was $2.5 in actual cap space even with the acceleration of the cap hit.

He's gone.  I hate it because I'm a Steeler fan and they are not going to get any kind of compensation back to make up for what they will lose, but he's gone.

Fantasy speaking it might work out fine for AB, but my fantasy tip of the day is to go try and buy low on James Washington right now.

As for Brown's antics I'm actually a little worried something is mentally off with him, been a really strange year. But my best guess is he's got issues with Big Ben and/or his standing in the organization hierarchy relative to Big Ben that is at the center of all of this. In short I think he feels disrespected with stuff like Big Ben refusing to call him his #1 WR and JuJu winning team MVP. I do think he'd welcome a trade, just don't think he's going to get it, not this off-season anyway.
How so? I only follow the team as it relates to fantasy numbers, so I'm curious what else has been going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dynasty team is based on this guy, K Hunt, and L Fournette.  How unlucky can one team be?!
I own all of them but thankfully not on the same but  at least possible AB and Fournette end up in better situations so all hope is not lost.

I own a few AB shares and I'm more worried as a Steeler fan on impact of the team then I am him doing well in fantasy.  Now if he ends up in Buffalo or something.....

I actually think he might be traded now. 

Aging player, starting to get a few leg injuries, going to a new team. AB - it’s been a great run, you have made me money, carried my squad many times, but I think it’s over. :pours40out:

Iceman03 said:
Maybe this will make me sound like an old man or hard nosed football guy but Colin Cowherd actually had the right take here: https://twitter.com/colincowherd/status/1080305451491680256?s=21
Yep, I agree as well. Sure, we can point at Ben for being a drama queen and calling teammates out in the media, and we can point at Tomlin and said this is the result of enabling leadership style, but this nonsense ultimately lays at the feet of Antonio Brown.  He is the modern day Terrell Owens. 

Yep, I agree as well. Sure, we can point at Ben for being a drama queen and calling teammates out in the media, and we can point at Tomlin and said this is the result of enabling leadership style, but this nonsense ultimately lays at the feet of Antonio Brown.  He is the modern day Terrell Owens. 
To my knowledge TO never left a team hanging on the field... which is all that really matters here.

TO by most accounts was a good teammate.. I only remember the media portraying it otherwise.  Teammates always vouched for him if I recall?

matttyl said:
Theoretically, where could he go and still put up these kind of numbers?
Arizona and Jets would be two places I think would be great for him but I think San Fran would top my list. A coach like Kyle who oversaw massive target loads to guys like Garcon(in Wash) and Julio got 200 targets with him.

Colt's would excite me and they will be in hunt for WR help but they don't want someone like AB at his cost, bad culture fit before getting into the salary and acquisition cost. Might run into some of same issues with SF interest.

The two places that worry me the most are Tennesse and Buffalo, both teams who I think will be heavily shopping for WR help this offseason.  I'm hoping they want to move him to the NFC if it's not the Jets.

To my knowledge TO never left a team hanging on the field... which is all that really matters here.

TO by most accounts was a good teammate.. I only remember the media portraying it otherwise.  Teammates always vouched for him if I recall?
He got suspended for conduct detrimental to the team and to me that's leaving your team hanging.  Also when your team is in camp preparing for the season and you are doing situps in your driveway and making a media circus of things I consider that leaving your team hanging but YMMV.

He had teammates vouch for him for sure but he also argued with most of his QB and did not have good relationships with them for the most part.

Honestly does sound a ton like AB to me.

He pretty much ripped the Eagles locker room in half.  McNabb backers and TO backers.  I think that was after the Superbowl, just before. Can't remember.   

Agreed.  Don't want to "like" it because it sucks as a Steeler fan.

He pretty much ripped the Eagles locker room in half.  McNabb backers and TO backers.  I think that was after the Superbowl, just before. Can't remember.   
I admit I am different than most.. I could not care less about locker room drama.  I don't care about tweets or where people do situps.  I don't care about players not liking their qb's or coaches.

I do care about AB failing his duty to prepare and be on the field for a game.  The professional part is what gets me.

I suppose you could argue that with the suspension of TO, but he never missed a game by his own choice (just not practicing, etc).  If anything he showed up despite the obstacles and risks.

I admit I am different than most.. I could not care less about locker room drama.  I don't care about tweets or where people do situps.  I don't care about players not liking their qb's or coaches.

I do care about AB failing his duty to prepare and be on the field for a game.  The professional part is what gets me.

I suppose you could argue that with the suspension of TO, but he never missed a game by his own choice (just not practicing, etc).  If anything he showed up despite the obstacles and risks.
totally agree with the bolded. but these guys, especially TO, are not about the team. i think people are drawn to their work ethics and drive to win, but they are more about winning than they are about the team. it's more like the Kobe mentality. sucks to see this comparison as a AB fan and someone who doesn't care for TO, but it's darn close.

He came to the stadium to play. He essentially skipped practice, not the game. It's not professional but neither is some of the stuff TO pulled but it's not quite accurate to keep portraying this in a way that suggests he did not make himself available to play.

Reading the ESPN article, you have to love this exchange:

"Woke up Sunday morning, got a call from his agent, Drew Rosenhaus. Drew expressed that [Brown] was feeling better and that he would potentially be able to participate," said Tomlin, who called himself an "active participant" in trying to reach Brown. "I outlined to Drew that decisions weren't made like that, but I would be interested in visiting with him in person at the stadium prior to the game, but playing wasn't on the menu."

He came to the stadium to play. He essentially skipped practice, not the game. It's not professional but neither is some of the stuff TO pulled but it's not quite accurate to keep portraying this in a way that suggests he did not make himself available to play.
On many sports teams, professional or not, if you don't practice, show up to meetings, otherwise go AWOL, you are making yourself unavailable to play. I'm sure I'm not the only one who coaches sports here, but on my team (granted, it's not the NFL, not even close) if you don't have a valid excuse for missing practices, you won't play. I've started games short handed due to this to make a point. I understand it's much different in the NFL, but in some organizations eyes, you go AWOL, you make yourself unavailable on game day.

It’s funny how sometimes the best players in the game don’t have very long threads. And it’s also a testament to how little controversy and concern there has been around him over the years, because that is what causes people to post. He’s been a solid professional. 

On many sports teams, professional or not, if you don't practice, show up to meetings, otherwise go AWOL, you are making yourself unavailable to play. I'm sure I'm not the only one who coaches sports here, but on my team (granted, it's not the NFL, not even close) if you don't have a valid excuse for missing practices, you won't play. I've started games short handed due to this to make a point. I understand it's much different in the NFL, but in some organizations eyes, you go AWOL, you make yourself unavailable on game day.
The context of my comment you responded to was comping him to TO. TO was not available to his teammates because his conduct got him suspended. I view AB as essentially being suspended last week.  I just don't see any difference as to why both of them were not available to play in games, neither quit their team or no showed for a game but both displayed such crappy behavior it led to same thing, not being available to the team.

Users who are viewing this thread