What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (13 Viewers)

if I were the Steelers I would stand pat too. Kind of odd when they stand firm on Bell but seem to be giving into AB. Unless it's an age thing and they knew they would get a high comp pick for Bell, but with AB they are kind of stuck unless they do trade him. 

Problems off the top of my head:

-AB quit on his team over a Team MVP,  

-attends practices/meetings if he’s in the mood                                                 

-trading team must give up pick + pay him          

-10th year at a position that doesn’t matter  

-Legal issues from domestic violence to throwing furniture off a balcony. Add the driving 100+ mph, threatening to break reporter’s jaw, etc.                                

-Seems mentally unwell (see above, his Twitter, Mr Big Chest, mentored by TO/Ocho

-Throws tantrums when seeing less than 15 targets/game

-would rather lose and put up 10-150-1 than win and put up 5-50-0.                  

-replicating his stats is highly unlikely away from his youth, his first ballot HOF QB and always loaded offense (how would he do in JAX?) 

-because replicating his stats is highly unlikely, he could go insane immediately

Pros:

-Has been excellent on the field.          

-Could have 3-4 prime years left.                       

-Would put butts in seats.                    

-Could buy time for a GM on his last chance (Mike MacCagnan?)                     
You seem pretty unbiased here.  Not an ounce of feelings interjected in this list. 

Nobody’s giving up a first + mammoth contract for a headcase 10th year player at a position that relatively speaking, doesn’t matter. 
I recall people saying similar things about TO and Moss at the same periods in their respective careers. AB is one of the all time greats at the position. His presence on the field has an impact on how the opponent defends the field. 

I get this view. I don't think Gruden cares what anyone thinks but they are in a complete rebuild and they just traded Cooper for a first to spend a first for another WR seems to fly in a different direction especially the excuse to get rid of Cooper was not wanting to spend money or free money for the rebuild and acquire draft capital . Could happen but I think there are better directions for them to go however Gruden is crazy and you never know. I mean crazy in a good way. I think Mayock was brought in to help settle the crazy side of Gruden.  LOL.
I don't think it's a good idea for OAK either, but I don't care about them :)

You seem pretty unbiased here.  Not an ounce of feelings interjected in this list. 
Alright I’ll change some wording on the bolded, but the point remains. 

1. He went into hiding in what was in essence, a playoff game. 

2. The bottom two-thirds of the roster would be off the team with his attendance record. 

3. His social media presence is bad for business. 

4. He pouts when Juju has success. 

5. Is stat obsessed. On a new team, with likely a lesser QB, oldest he’s ever been, etc, means 90% chance his numbers decrease in 2019. This will not bode well for his moody, stat-needy personality. 

But by all means throw money at the problem!

if I were the Steelers I would stand pat too. Kind of odd when they stand firm on Bell but seem to be giving into AB.

Presenting Exhibit 1A why they don't want to stand pat with AB.  The Steelers are not going to run this back next year with another massive distraction like this hanging over their heads. The organization does not want it, the players in the locker room don't want it. As a fan I want it if the compensation is not good, but it's not going to happen.

I will say there is a stink going on in Pittsburgh and it’s hard to pinpoint exactly what it is. It could be the coach, the culture, the QB, the AB/Bell situations, ownership perhaps. However, this AB drama has made me come around on Le’Veon a little bit. Le’Veon has his own scenario going on, but perhaps it’s time to cut him some slack with Pittsburgh in turmoil 

I will say there is a stink going on in Pittsburgh and it’s hard to pinpoint exactly what it is. It could be the coach, the culture, the QB, the AB/Bell situations, ownership perhaps. However, this AB drama has made me come around on Le’Veon a little bit. Le’Veon has his own scenario going on, but perhaps it’s time to cut him some slack with Pittsburgh in turmoil 
Since Colbert gave that ill fated Big Ben spiel in his press conference I've noticed a few people in the national media say the same thing about AB, that they can kind of understand now why he is frustrated. I don't think Colbert is that Machiavellian, but a small chance  he might have unintentionally rationalized some of AB's disenchantment and behavior and helped up his stock.

Colbert says only 3 teams reached out for a price check... Since that is coming from the Steelers camp I would guess it's actually less than 3, teams are always trying to manufacture more interest than there is in these situations... 

I have him on the block in Dynasty.  Number of teams who have asked about him or made an offer.... Zero. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright I’ll change some wording on the bolded, but the point remains. 

1. He went into hiding in what was in essence, a playoff game. 

2. The bottom two-thirds of the roster would be off the team with his attendance record. 

3. His social media presence is bad for business. 

4. He pouts when Juju has success. 

5. Is stat obsessed. On a new team, with likely a lesser QB, oldest he’s ever been, etc, means 90% chance his numbers decrease in 2019. This will not bode well for his moody, stat-needy personality. 

But by all means throw money at the problem!
You again seem very sincere in your efforts to present both sides of the story.  

Colbert says only 3 teams reached out for a price check... Since that is coming from the Steelers camp I would guess it's actually less than 3, teams are always trying to manufacture more interest than there is in these situations... 

I have him on the block in Dynasty.  Number of teams who have asked about him or made an offer.... Zero. 
The best thing that could happen for your fantasy team would be for him to not get traded, right?

i like the Green Bay call.

rogers window is closing and so is ab's, 3-4 years.

they are in win now mode and 2 #1wrs would make them invincible.

just because they have a history of building from the draft doesnt make them have to stay that way.

new england drafted an rb in the first and look where that got them. 

kittenmittens said:
If the Raiders, Jets, or Cardinals trade high future picks for AB it will be the dumbest move in those organizations' history.  I'm shocked people are even speculating that a rebuilding team is giving up their top 5 or 10 1st rounder to get AB.  

I don't see the Steelers trading him for any less than a 1st. Eating 20 million in dead cap at the end of their win now window isn't worth a 3rd rounder. 
Where are you getting that from?

Luck won't have an issue with Brown. And if he did Luck has no worries at all. The Colts would back Luck before Brown. Just saying Luck won't feel a need to coddle Brown and should be able to handle any Brown issues based on being established. Rodgers pretty much the same thing really any established QB. Brown would be happy for a year or two anyway so really this is moot. Think about the Jets though. Not sure I want Brown around a very young QB there could be an issue there where Brown feels being a veteran he can control Darnold and or criticize the QB publicly if things went south.  
This makes no sense. Roethlisberger is more established (at least equal to) than Rodgers & Luck. Pitt has his back vs AB’s, and it’s clear Ben didn’t coddle AB (which is part of the reason AB three a hissy fit).  Both teams also have established stud WRs, so AB would have to deal with sharing the spotlight, and that seemed to be part of this she with JuJu in Pitt.  All of the “logic” you’re using to apply to why Rodgers/Luck and GN/Ind would be good fits for AB could be used to explain why Pitt should have worked, but it didn’t.  Doesn’t make sense.

Where are you getting that from?
Articles like Faust just posted. Jets, Raiders, Cardinals, Redskins all speculated as landing spots.  None of those teams should be buying a 31 year old with a first rounder...  All of their first rounders are in the top 5 or 10 or will be next year. 

Sure it does. He is under contract in Pittsburgh for the next 3 years. This is more about the money than it is about Ben and IT did work in Pittsburgh. Ben and AB might be the best QB to WR combo since Montana to Rice so yes it can work with Luck and Rodgers. I think the whole thing is somewhat orchestrated might not have been that way in the beginning but looks that way to me now. As far as dealing with another WR not sure what your point is here. Most teams have NFL receivers on their teams. I suppose Washington might be a good place a team with no QB and no WR support.  
It worked in Pitt b/c they let AB get away with this stuff.  When they stopped (which is what you are saying GB/Rodgers and Ind/Luck will do), it stopped working.

As far as the contract, he’d be under contract for 3 years in any other spot.  He’s not a FA.

He is almost point blank asking for his contract to be redone after the trade.  He wants guaranteed money. He knows he has to get traded to get this done which is why he wants to be traded he has to do that to get the new deal. He wants a new contract with his new team.  So yes we all know he is under contract and not a free agent. 

No, I'm not saying Luck and Rodgers can control another human being pretty sure no one can do that. I'm saying they are established enough to not be affected by Brown's antics though I strongly believe Brown will be fine for any new team willing to trade for him and pay him because in order to get paid he has to not be in Pittsburgh. 
So, what you’re saying has nothing to do with Luck or Rodgers.  You’re saying if a new team gives him more money, he’ll be “good” AB for a couple years.

Articles like Faust just posted. Jets, Raiders, Cardinals, Redskins all speculated as landing spots.  None of those teams should be buying a 31 year old with a first rounder...  All of their first rounders are in the top 5 or 10 or will be next year. 
Raiders also have picks 24 and 27 in the 1st round besides having pick 4. 

Raiders also have picks 24 and 27 in the 1st round besides having pick 4. 
Yes, but they are so far away from competing that it would be a waste of a pick.  Why trade young Amari Cooper for a late first and then use the pick to acquire old Antonio Brown.  That's going in the wrong direction, and would be an awful move.

Even if one of these rebuilding teams did acquire Brown and he plays extremely well, all that those few extra wins will do long term is hurt the draft position and possibly take them out of franchise QB territory. 

So let me get this right.  A GM is supposed to deal away a 1st rounder AND make Brown happy by paying him huge amounts of guaranteed capital, and in exchange they’ll get a proven but wrong side of 30 WR1 whose eccentric behavior and self centeredness have increased significantly so much that he ran himself out of one of the most respected franchises in the league, with no idea if he’ll actually decide to reverse his current direction and act like a team player?

Some of you guys wouldn’t last very long as a GM in the NFL.

My guess would be NFC team - Seahawks, 49ers, or Falcons.
If AB is all about ego/money/recognition, why wouldn't Washington be on this short list. He'd be there biggest star and he'll be over paid by Snyder. Yeah, I realize we don't know who's going to throw him the ball, but I'm not sure that's overly important to AB, otherwise he'd appreciate Big Ben more than he has. 

If AB is all about ego/money/recognition, why wouldn't Washington be on this short list. He'd be there biggest star and he'll be over paid by Snyder. Yeah, I realize we don't know who's going to throw him the ball, but I'm not sure that's overly important to AB, otherwise he'd appreciate Big Ben more than he has. 
I don't think they'd want him given they currently only have $17m in cap space.  https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

And can you imagine his reaction to Colt McCoy throwing him the ball?

I get why people say the Raiders don't make sense but I can come up with a few reasons I think they would be interested. I consider them one of the main contenders for his services.

Also I saw the other day he will be on that Lebron James HBO show called The Shop. I think it recorded already, but is airing on March 1.  I sure hope he does not damage his trade value even more.

I get why people say the Raiders don't make sense but I can come up with a few reasons I think they would be interested. I consider them one of the main contenders for his services.

Also I saw the other day he will be on that Lebron James HBO show called The Shop. I think it recorded already, but is airing on March 1.  I sure hope he does not damage his trade value even more.
I believe this was filmed before he said he would meet with Rooney, so he could say some dumb things. However, I expect the conversation to revolve around how oppressed Lebron, AB and the others are. 

There’s tons of risk here and could cost a GM their job, but the upside is a Randy Miss 2007 Patriots talent injection. Someone will bite. 

C’mon.  Apples and oranges.  NE acquired Moss for a 4th rounder, paid him $3M his first year with them when Moss agreed to take a pay cut from $9.75M with OAK to $3M with NE, and then after Moss had his great year NE resigned him for $27M over 3 years, of which $15M was guaranteed. The risk to NE was relatively very small then.  That wasn’t a huge leap of faith on their part.

Think those kinds of numbers, Brown taking a large pay cut to move on and the pick being a 4th rounder make this work out for everyone involved?

Ok, but where is the top 5 pick part coming from? 

Washington needs to figure out their QB issue first. I would think this  is the top priority of the Redskins. If they roll with Colt Mccoy and make some cuts to free up some money then maybe but they also have to figure in the money they will need to allot for their rookie class they draft.
If this was fantasy football, Brown would be packaged with Mason Rudolph and shipped to Washington for their 1st and 3rd.

But the NFL doesn't do business like that...

he is probably going for a 3rd or a 4th.....

That would be a steal for most teams.
If the best the Steelers can get for AB is a 3rd or 4th (which is certainly possible) I hope they just keep him.  At that point he can either show up and toe the line, hold out, retire, or the Steelers can suspend him if he doesn't straighten up . I hope the Steelers don't have to settle for a 3rd because AB on the field is still more valuable that a 3rd (as long as he is getting his stats :)

Steeler said:
If the best the Steelers can get for AB is a 3rd or 4th (which is certainly possible) I hope they just keep him.  At that point he can either show up and toe the line, hold out, retire, or the Steelers can suspend him if he doesn't straighten up . I hope the Steelers don't have to settle for a 3rd because AB on the field is still more valuable that a 3rd (as long as he is getting his stats :)
Agreed.  If the Steelers don't get a first or high second I think they'll just hold onto him.   He is just too valuable of a player to get that little in return.   If he doesn't report then he doesn't get paid and the Steelers save $$.  If he does show up and acts up you can suspend him.  If he shows up and behaves himself then you have your great WR back.   In my mind the Steelers still hold the cards.

One other thing:   Although Brown is saying that he wants to redo his contract when he gets traded the team acquiring him is under no obligation to do so.   The only card AB has is to hold out and the team trading with the Steelers could place some conditions like they get a 2020 pick back if they are unable to work out a deal if AB doesn't report

if I were the Steelers I would stand pat too. Kind of odd when they stand firm on Bell but seem to be giving into AB. Unless it's an age thing and they knew they would get a high comp pick for Bell, but with AB they are kind of stuck unless they do trade him. 
Bell wasn't under contract so there was no option to trade Bell.   Bell's case was pretty simple:  the Steelers offered X and the player wanted Y.   There were attempts at negotiating but the two sides could not come to an agreement and Bell decided to hold out rather than accept the $14.5 million tender.   There really weren't any other options available for the Steelers.

Steeler said:
If AB is t traded, I think we will see a bunch of challenges to the CBA. For example, if Brown participates penny half heartedly in team activities while continuing to attack players, coaches, or management . . . the. What happens? Suppose Brown pulls a Kawhi Leonard and has an “injury” and suddenly can’t play. Or maybe he just refuses to go back to the team.

That last one is the easiest to sort out, but like Bell last year, the team couldn’t use the extra cap space until the following year. And as time goes by, Brown’s trade value only will go down. Would the potential distraction and circus be worth holding on to him in the hopes of getting a better draft pick?

Things will be different than with Bell, as Brown is under contract and the NFLPA will intervene if the Steelers try to suspend him or not pay him. I know a similar situation happened with TO and the Eagles, so there could be a similar outcome. But that didn’t turn out well for anyone involved. 

Looking back at the Eagles and Owens riff, I believe a team can only suspend a player without pay for conduct detrimental to the team for 4 games. They can continue to hold him out, but Unless they changed the policy, the player would have to be paid (and one would guess that money would still count against the salary cap).  

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports the Steelers "prefer" to trade Antonio Brown to a team in the NFC.

Speaking Wednesday at the Combine, Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said "interest has grown" on Brown in trade talks. "Ideally you’ll like to trade him to someone you’d never play," Colbert said. "But if a team comes through with the best compensation you have to weigh that." It's hard to see the Steelers trading Brown within the AFC North or to the conference-rival Patriots. The Panthers, 49ers, and Packers have been talked about as potential destinations in recent weeks.

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

Feb 27, 2019, 10:43 AM

Gerry Dulac (long time Steelers beat reporter) said today Steelers GM Kevin Colbert has said a lot of things about this AB situation, but the one thing he has never heard him say is that th eSteelers would consider keeping AB if the price is not right.  Essentially Dulac thinks the Steelers will take whatever they can get.  But I still hope the Steelers can get decent compensation for Brown and not settle for something way under market value (for his on field ability).

Gerry Dulac (long time Steelers beat reporter) said today Steelers GM Kevin Colbert has said a lot of things about this AB situation, but the one thing he has never heard him say is that th eSteelers would consider keeping AB if the price is not right.  Essentially Dulac thinks the Steelers will take whatever they can get.  But I still hope the Steelers can get decent compensation for Brown and not settle for something way under market value (for his on field ability).
Ummmmm

Colbert also insisted that the Steelers aren't locked into trading Brown, despite Brown's clear interest in moving on.

"We will only make a trade if it benefits the Pittsburgh Steelers," Colbert said. "He knows that. His representation knows that. That's been clearly explained, and we're willing to take a look. If there's something that can be done to benefit both sides, great. If not, then we'll deal with that when we get to it.

"Anything we do has to benefit us. If it doesn't, then it won't."

What is that compensation for you? 

I think they should trade him to the Redskins for a 3rd round pick and then the Redskins trade him right to the Patriots for a 2nd round pick. 

When you see what people like snacks harrison go for....you are talking about a 31 year old headache....who has to build rapport with a new qb....pitt will be lucky to get a 3rd rounder......then again amari cooper went for a 1st but his cost is more controlled

Users who are viewing this thread