What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looks like Drifter is moving to Seattle! (1 Viewer)

Leave tomorrow morning for the drive out.

Built a fence, changed my oil and put a new battery in the truck over the last couple days.

Leaving behind my wife, a 1 week old and a 21 month old who isn't too happy about the 1 week old. I'll be lucky if she doesn't kick me to the crube before I get them out there.

Oh, and no offers on the house yet despite about 8 showings over the last week. Looks like I might have to add a 2nd rental property to my portfolio for a while.
Congrats! I missed that #2 had come already. boy? girl?

Leave tomorrow morning for the drive out.

Built a fence, changed my oil and put a new battery in the truck over the last couple days.

Leaving behind my wife, a 1 week old and a 21 month old who isn't too happy about the 1 week old. I'll be lucky if she doesn't kick me to the crube before I get them out there.

Oh, and no offers on the house yet despite about 8 showings over the last week. Looks like I might have to add a 2nd rental property to my portfolio for a while.
Congrats! I missed that #2 had come already. boy? girl?
Girl. There's a thread around here somewhere.

In Boise tonight. Arriving in Seattle tomorrow.

I'm checking out this place on Sunday. It's in Bothell but pretty close to Lynwood, not far from I5. I can't quite make out the name of the development. Anybody familiar?

It's also attractive because they offer lease to own at the same price as the regular rent. Provided there is not gigantic penalty, it might be a good thing to start walking that road and if we love it, great; if not we just walk away with no damage done.

West Seattle is dope. I would live there if my wife didn't work too far south.

I live right where Kent & Des Moines meet. Very reasonable commute IMO. Affordable also IMO.

Not sure what the Seattle locals would say, but I had great food at a place called Wild Ginger years ago. In case you are looking for restaurant recs.

Good luck with the move, Seattle is a good city. Big fan.

I'm checking out this place on Sunday. It's in Bothell but pretty close to Lynwood, not far from I5. I can't quite make out the name of the development. Anybody familiar?

It's also attractive because they offer lease to own at the same price as the regular rent. Provided there is not gigantic penalty, it might be a good thing to start walking that road and if we love it, great; if not we just walk away with no damage done.
Don't recognize the development but that'll be a haul into Pioneer Square/King Station Station since no mass transit option close by - hell it can be the suck from anywhere at peak commute times - I'm a fan of leaving early or staying late to beat the rush hour traffic - otherwise 30 minute commutes can turn into 75 minutes easily & often

Not sure what the Seattle locals would say, but I had great food at a place called Wild Ginger years ago. In case you are looking for restaurant recs.

Good luck with the move, Seattle is a good city. Big fan.
That's for rich people, but yeah.
Really? I went there a long time ago (though former colleagues tell me the place still exists) and it wasn't expensive at all. If memory serves, it wasn't super far from Pike Place Market....wife and I had lunch there for maybe $20 at most. Has it gone upscale? If so, that sucks.

I live in Mill Creek, this is about 7 minutes from my house - it will be a rough commute into downtown Seattle. Probably at least an hour on most days.It is a nice area, but no quick and easy way to get to I-5 from there.

I work in Kirkland and my commute is 35-40 minutes on a good day.

My apartment is pretty sweet. 17th floor, wall to wall windows facing east and north. Have the sound, Queen Anne and the space needle out one side and Lake Union and Capital Hill out the other.

We walked over to capital hill/first hill last night and tried to avoid ending up in a gay bar by accident. Ate at a place called The Odd Fellows which was fantastic and spent most of the night at Bill's Off Broadway shooting pool and drinking with a few lunatic locals.

Drifter said:
My apartment is pretty sweet. 17th floor, wall to wall windows facing east and north. Have the sound, Queen Anne and the space needle out one side and Lake Union and Capital Hill out the other.We walked over to capital hill/first hill last night and tried to avoid ending up in a gay bar by accident. Ate at a place called The Odd Fellows which was fantastic and spent most of the night at Bill's Off Broadway shooting pool and drinking with a few lunatic locals.
Sounds sweet. When is the fam joining you?

Drifter said:
My apartment is pretty sweet. 17th floor, wall to wall windows facing east and north. Have the sound, Queen Anne and the space needle out one side and Lake Union and Capital Hill out the other.

We walked over to capital hill/first hill last night and tried to avoid ending up in a gay bar by accident. Ate at a place called The Odd Fellows which was fantastic and spent most of the night at Bill's Off Broadway shooting pool and drinking with a few lunatic locals.
my friend is a part owner in Quinn's on Capitol Hill. good eats.

Drifter said:
My apartment is pretty sweet. 17th floor, wall to wall windows facing east and north. Have the sound, Queen Anne and the space needle out one side and Lake Union and Capital Hill out the other.We walked over to capital hill/first hill last night and tried to avoid ending up in a gay bar by accident. Ate at a place called The Odd Fellows which was fantastic and spent most of the night at Bill's Off Broadway shooting pool and drinking with a few lunatic locals.
Sounds sweet. When is the fam joining you?
Not sure. I still have to take care of my place in Denver. I'll start looking for renters at what is probably a little high rental price this week. If we don't find a renter at that price or don't have movement on selling, I'll lower the rental price a bit until something works.

I worked in Bothell for a year, nice area. Not a fan of Lynnwood. I lived in Queen Anne and my drive to Bothell was approx 20 mins, 1.5hrs on the way back.

Drove all over the city today and got a good feel for things. Some of my thoughts:

The place in Mill Creek was a great house. Exactly what we want on the inside. The yard barely qualified as such, however and it is very far north. I'm going to drive up there during rush hour some evening this week to see what that would be like. We ate lunch up there at a little Greek place called Neo's. Great food. The little newly built town center they've done is a cool little place.

The Fremont/Ballard/Green Lake/Greenwood area is pretty sweet. I'll be looking in that area some more.

Edmonds, closer to the water and the downtown area is very cool. The Eastern side and Lynwood are greatly lacking in character and we probably will not look there much more. That said, I'm in contact with someone over a very cool rental in Edmonds with 180 degree views of the sound in a really nice place.

Drove up to Mukilteo just to check it out. That's up there. I wouldn't live up there unless I could get something on the hill overlooking the Sound. Won't look for a rental there but might look at buying there in a few years if I found the perfect home.

West Seattle is indeed, awesome and has a ton of character. I'm looking at a place there tomorrow but I haven't seen many rentals that fit our criteria over there. I'm definitely going to keep looking.

Des Moines didn't blow me away. Kind of like Mukilteo, if I found the perfect home there I'd buy but I probably won't rent there. Saltwater State Park is a neat little place.

I'm also seeing a place near Judkins park tomorrow after work. That would be very convenient to work but don't know what that hood is like.

Drove all over the city today and got a good feel for things. Some of my thoughts:The place in Mill Creek was a great house. Exactly what we want on the inside. The yard barely qualified as such, however and it is very far north. I'm going to drive up there during rush hour some evening this week to see what that would be like. We ate lunch up there at a little Greek place called Neo's. Great food. The little newly built town center they've done is a cool little place.The Fremont/Ballard/Green Lake/Greenwood area is pretty sweet. I'll be looking in that area some more.Edmonds, closer to the water and the downtown area is very cool. The Eastern side and Lynwood are greatly lacking in character and we probably will not look there much more. That said, I'm in contact with someone over a very cool rental in Edmonds with 180 degree views of the sound in a really nice place.Drove up to Mukilteo just to check it out. That's up there. I wouldn't live up there unless I could get something on the hill overlooking the Sound. Won't look for a rental there but might look at buying there in a few years if I found the perfect home.West Seattle is indeed, awesome and has a ton of character. I'm looking at a place there tomorrow but I haven't seen many rentals that fit our criteria over there. I'm definitely going to keep looking.Des Moines didn't blow me away. Kind of like Mukilteo, if I found the perfect home there I'd buy but I probably won't rent there. Saltwater State Park is a neat little place.I'm also seeing a place near Judkins park tomorrow after work. That would be very convenient to work but don't know what that hood is like.
I live south (gig harbor) but work in Seattle a lot. I'll be up there a bunch over the next few weeks if you want to grab a beer or 4.

Rover - Ninja has kept you in the loop, right? I didn't blow you off - we just took it to email.

Been looking at places. Saw a place in Highland Park that was cool but I didn't like the neighborhood. Have looked at 2 places in West Seattle that I like but both are older. The one I like better is 100 years old and in a great location but only 1 bath and the basement while livable is not really finished. It's half-assed finished. Still, that's the leader right now and the owners, who are moving to New Zealand really like us. I might try and knock 200 or so off the rent if we go that way.

Looking at another place in West Seattle tomorrow at lunch. Sounds a little more updated but more on the Southwestern side of the penninsula. After work, there's a place in Lake Forest which looks good but has white carpets. I have two dogs and a 2 year old and it rains a lot here. That might not be a great choice.

Also looking at a place in Shoreline that backs up on Richmond beach park. I have high hopes for that one and the West Seattle one.

West Seattle place was pretty cool. 2 blocks off California, view of the sound from the main living area and a small balcony with that view. Super nice kitchen - Viking range, sub zero fridge. Giant Master Suite with a rain shower head and side sprayers on the walls. Minuses - family room/tv room only has access from either outside or through the 3rd bedroom. It's also $100 above what I had set as my maximum rent.

Shoreline place next to Richmond beach park is also cool. Really neat neighborhood with lots of mid century moderns that have been redone in a very cool way. This place has been redone as well but not quite as good. Cool layout for the "great room" with cool angles and mid century modern features. 4 bedrooms in this one but all are on the smaller side. Decent family room. Large yard. 1/2 a block from the saltwater park (the Sound). It's $350/mo cheaper than the West Seattle one so $4200 a year difference. It's also considerably farther. The commute today heading up that way was ridiculously bad. It took me 30 minutes just to get from the ID to the University District. I'm not sure if that's typical. or if today was unique but either way, Shoreline comes cheaper but at a pretty significant price in commute and gas time. I figure 200 commute hours and $500 a year in gas differences. That could be worth a fair amount of the $4200 right there.

Today's observation: Seattle drivers have no idea how to properly utilize merge lanes

Last edited by a moderator:
West Seattle Drifter. Great area, and you'll be close enough to the city to actually learn it and enjoy the benefits. It'll force you to go to at least a few Mariners and Hawks games. See a few shows at the Shoebox.

DO IT!

West Seattle Drifter. Great area, and you'll be close enough to the city to actually learn it and enjoy the benefits. It'll force you to go to at least a few Mariners and Hawks games. See a few shows at the Shoebox. DO IT!
The fact that Safeco and Qwest are visible out my office window probably will aid that - although rumor has it I'll be in South Lake Union by April

Approved on the place in west seattle. Did I mention that theres a kegerator in the kitchen?

Move in on dec 15. Party at drifters place? My 2 year old will man the tap.

Also- I just had singer of the best pud thai I've every had at the uweauntjemima market. That place is awesome

Had some vendors take me out to dinner at The Met last night. Good stuff. I'm guessing the final tab approached somewhere around $300 per person.

Also found a good cheesesteak place in Pioneer Square.

Before Otis there was Drifter. Once Drifter settled down it created a vacuum that Otis filled, sort of. Now Otis can anticipate traveling the same path that Drifter blazes, OTIS, this is you in four years. Moving to the burbs, considering housing for its availability to schools, the whole 9 yards. Fortunately this is a good path.
Wow.

I'm 35-45 minutes south of Seattle, but am up there quite a bit for work. My friendship can be bought with bourbon, and unless you want to play golf with someone who's actually good, I'm usually available. Buy a boat. You'll have more friends than you know what to do with.
Plenty of Bourbon in the bar and I do not play golf well. I will probably play much less well with trees involved. A boat is definitely in my future down the road. The only question is if I'll go sailboat or motor.
The fishing here is pretty good if you're into that. I just got back from a salmon trip that was a lot of fun. Hitting it again, and closer, in two weeks.
I like to throw a line out and drink some beers if that counts. I envision a future where I own a boat and can take it out fishing and camping in the San Juans. Is such a thing realistic?
absolutely. we just fished the Straits of Juan de Fuca, and it couldn't have been easier. the San Juans are a pretty easy run from Anacortes, so even if you have a smallish boat it's totally doable. I'm currently boatless, but once my divorce is done I'm looking at a 23' cuddy for overnight trips and fishing.
Drifter/fish, did either of you ever get a boat? We were talking with friends there about getting one--not sure how serious any of us were, but if we got you guys in on one too it might seem more doable.

If rover invites you to Springsteen, watch out for your face
Hey, I didn't know you were still alive. Tried to reach you for free golf.
I sent you a few bbm's, and even tried to invite you to my wedding, which you wouldn't have wanted to come to anyway, but I thought I might have been able to get you for a good gift. :thumbup: I'm sad about free golf, but I'd be up for not free golf or beer sometime soon. Still have clients in Kirkland? Also, I still have your ugly blue Eddie Bauer coat and want to give it back to you.
Update? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Before Otis there was Drifter. Once Drifter settled down it created a vacuum that Otis filled, sort of. Now Otis can anticipate traveling the same path that Drifter blazes, OTIS, this is you in four years. Moving to the burbs, considering housing for its availability to schools, the whole 9 yards. Fortunately this is a good path.
Wow.

I'm 35-45 minutes south of Seattle, but am up there quite a bit for work. My friendship can be bought with bourbon, and unless you want to play golf with someone who's actually good, I'm usually available. Buy a boat. You'll have more friends than you know what to do with.
Plenty of Bourbon in the bar and I do not play golf well. I will probably play much less well with trees involved. A boat is definitely in my future down the road. The only question is if I'll go sailboat or motor.
The fishing here is pretty good if you're into that. I just got back from a salmon trip that was a lot of fun. Hitting it again, and closer, in two weeks.
I like to throw a line out and drink some beers if that counts. I envision a future where I own a boat and can take it out fishing and camping in the San Juans. Is such a thing realistic?
absolutely. we just fished the Straits of Juan de Fuca, and it couldn't have been easier. the San Juans are a pretty easy run from Anacortes, so even if you have a smallish boat it's totally doable. I'm currently boatless, but once my divorce is done I'm looking at a 23' cuddy for overnight trips and fishing.
Drifter/fish, did either of you ever get a boat? We were talking with friends there about getting one--not sure how serious any of us were, but if we got you guys in on one too it might seem more doable.
I'm still boatless, but my alimony runs out in August. I'm getting a raise (I think) and have some decent incentives, so I may get one at the beginning of summer. I've got hundreds of hours on the water, so if you get a boat I can help you out.

Wow.

I'm still boatless, but my alimony runs out in August. I'm getting a raise (I think) and have some decent incentives, so I may get one at the beginning of summer. I've got hundreds of hours on the water, so if you get a boat I can help you out.
I have not but have still considered it from time to time.

What kind of boat would you guys get? Sail? Power?

I fish a lot, and dragging kids around on tubes in the summer is a blast. I'd probably get a smaller trailerable motorboat with a cuddy for overnighting.

I grew up fishing a lot but would probably mostly watch now, but Mr Krista would be into fishing. Our friend who was talking about this wants to go crab fishing a lot too--guess that's pretty easy.

Drifter, do you mind if I use this as my sounding board for all things Seattle so that I don't irritate the GMTAN?

What do you guys think of Columbia City? Seems in this thread four years ago it was "transitional" and to me it still seemed to be. We loved it, though--seemed like the most diverse place (by far) we saw in Seattle. Had a vibe that we felt immediately comfortable with.

Truthfully, I haven't spent much time in at area. General consensus is South Seattle is bad. That doesn't mean there's not value there or a cool area but you'll still be pioneers even 3+ years later.

Truthfully, I haven't spent much time in at area. General consensus is South Seattle is bad. That doesn't mean there's not value there or a cool area but you'll still be pioneers even 3+ years later.
It was the area we loved the most, but the house we were looking at there was priced at about $350 per sq ft, which is just insane for a transitional area. It's like they had priced it assuming the gentrification had already happened (places we saw in Ballard were usually more like $320-330, and that's obviously a better area right now). I didn't feel comfortable at all that we could resell that one, but now I'm seeing some more reasonable options popping up there. I don't mind transitional but I'm concerned it's not very central which could become a huge pain.

It was the area we loved the most, but the house we were looking at there was priced at about $350 per sq ft, which is just insane for a transitional area. It's like they had priced it assuming the gentrification had already happened (places we saw in Ballard were usually more like $320-330, and that's obviously a better area right now). I didn't feel comfortable at all that we could resell that one, but now I'm seeing some more reasonable options popping up there. I don't mind transitional but I'm concerned it's not very central which could become a huge pain.
Yeah - it's definitely pretty remote from the rest of the city. Decent access to Capitol Hill but everything else is going to be a royal pain.

Yeah - it's definitely pretty remote from the rest of the city. Decent access to Capitol Hill but everything else is going to be a royal pain.
Yeah, the light rail was right there, so that was a plus. We thought Mr. krista could take that if he worked somewhere downtown. It's probably a no-go but we loved the area.

Pretty excited to stay in West Seattle and see what we think.

Users who are viewing this thread