What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting. (1 Viewer)

'wikkidpissah said:
cant remember the last time i was this pleased two wks into an SNL season. of course, my expectations have never been lower coming in. have laughed several times at each ep, been amused more often than not, appreciate their respect for a brevity that the last few seasons have lacked & havent groaned much at all. Hader's the nuts, Killam's got talent and it's gotten so i dont wretch when Pharoah's onscreen. not wonderful, but promising.
:goodposting: There's been very little reliance on past sketches (although they did do the guys sitting around drinking and then divulging something horrible, e.g., Larry Sandusky, but that one doesn't seem as bad as some of the other repeated skits).

I think I know what this show is badly missing: The Funny Fat Guy.

Where is the next John Belushi? Where is the next Chris Farley? Where is the next Horatio Sanz? The Funny Fat Guy has always been a staple of this show, and it's an important part of any comedic ensemble.

Moynihan has perfected the "fat" part, but he struggles with the "funny" part.

The joseph gordon-levitt episode was fantastic, besides that really bad sketch where he was a chick and his/her parents were singing.

Wow, that was total dreck. Finally had time to watch the recording and that was absolutely painful to watch. People actually found the kitty skit funny? Really??

Wow, that was total dreck. Finally had time to watch the recording and that was absolutely painful to watch. People actually found the kitty skit funny? Really??
I thought that was pretty odd and awful too. The Bond girls were funny. That Kate chick is real good, she was cracking me up as the Italian nun too.Most of that episode blew otherwise. Big Bird phoned it in. Muse needs to #### off back to Wales.

It's a MUST to DVR this show. Skip right through all commercials, the musical act and most skits.

Weekend Update is the only can't-miss.

It's a MUST to DVR this show. Skip right through all commercials, the musical act and most skits.

That's exactly what the wife and I said after this last episode. Just make the Thursday night news desk specials and skip the Saturday night episode altogether.

Really? I can't stand Seth Meyers as the Weekend Update guy. His delivery is really poor.
If I felt that way, then it would be an easy kill. We debate removing it from the Tivo schedule. If I didn't like the Weekend Update, it would have been gone long ago.

I wanted to like Saturday's show since i'm a big Bond and Daniel Craig fan... but other than lesser known bond girls it was fairly weak. Craig looked out of place trying to do any comedy. The "idea" for his monologue with the montage to guys he's killed was a good idea, the execution didn't work for me.

Really? I can't stand Seth Meyers as the Weekend Update guy. His delivery is really poor.
:confused:
I used to fast-forward through Weekend Update when it was Amy Poehler and Tina Fey. They were unbearable to watch. Seth's version is about the only thing I really watch now, except for the guests he brings on, most of which usually falls flat, imo. My wife has given up on the show but for some reason I keep sticking around hoping for something funny. Unknown Bond Girls was decent, especially Penny Marshall.

'jamny said:
Christina Applegate does a good Kristin Wiig.
I like how they gave her a skit where she's the lone source of laughs. Although I didn't laugh all that much at the skit, I like when they trust the host to do something like that. One of my favourite skits ever was a similar skit with Forest Whitaker that he just killed.

Tech Talk is a funny idea, even though the execution isn't really doing it for me.

Gilette parody ad would have been amazing (even if horrible) if they showed a boy along with the women.

Good opening skit.

Sudiekis is a very good Biden.
do I have amnesia? I don't remember them ever cursing and bleeping it before.
Russell Simmon's Def Magic Show Jam
Yeah, the taped pieces sure. I guess that I meant the live skits, though I wasn't really thinking about the distinction initially.
Not "exactly" bleeping, but one of the funnier skits of SNL yesteryear where it's dangerously close. One of my favorites: My link

Is it just me or is their new Obama guy a terrible "comic"

He gets the Obama impressions down pat, but he just seems like someone trying to get the mannerisms without any comedic timing. Idk, each Obama open he has done was not funny at all and seemed like he was trying too hard, while Sudekis with lesser material to work with makes his Biden very funny

Is it just me or is their new Obama guy a terrible "comic"He gets the Obama impressions down pat, but he just seems like someone trying to get the mannerisms without any comedic timing. Idk, each Obama open he has done was not funny at all and seemed like he was trying too hard, while Sudekis with lesser material to work with makes his Biden very funny
I think I agree. Accurate impressions aren't always the best impressions. I loved Will Farrell as Bush even though it sounded nothing like the real Bush. Pharoah as Obama seems to be the opposite -- he has a lot of the mannerisms down but it isn't particularly funny. I thought the debate sketch was funny anyway.

Is it just me or is their new Obama guy a terrible "comic"He gets the Obama impressions down pat, but he just seems like someone trying to get the mannerisms without any comedic timing. Idk, each Obama open he has done was not funny at all and seemed like he was trying too hard, while Sudekis with lesser material to work with makes his Biden very funny
I think I agree. Accurate impressions aren't always the best impressions. I loved Will Farrell as Bush even though it sounded nothing like the real Bush. Pharoah as Obama seems to be the opposite -- he has a lot of the mannerisms down but it isn't particularly funny. I thought the debate sketch was funny anyway.
the debate sketch was ok because they focused on the people asking the questions and how ridiculous some of them were, but the Obama stuff was actually terrible with lines like "I'll fight you outside Biden"

the debate sketch was ok because they focused on the people asking the questions and how ridiculous some of them were, but the Obama stuff was actually terrible with lines like "I'll fight you outside Biden"
you keep saying Biden...

you keep saying Biden...
haha, sorry, meant Romney obviously.Probably since Sudekis does a great Biden as well

I think it has more to do with the fact that they aren't really goofing on Obama like they do with Romney. Obama is the straight man in the duo.

I think it has more to do with the fact that they aren't really goofing on Obama like they do with Romney. Obama is the straight man in the duo.
Not only is he the straight man, they patently refuse to offer any criticism whatsoever. This is why SNL sucks.

I remember back when SNL would skewer Jimmy Carter...and that was back when far left hacks like Al Franken were on the writing staff. Even Phil Hartman as Clinton got a jab every now and then. Obama is treated like Muhammad in an Iranian test screening

There is SO much low hanging fruit with Obama that Seth Myers can't help himself every once in a while, but other than that it's as if Obama is off limits

I don't really care, because the SNL crowd is made up of two camps. Those that have made up their mind one way or the other and those that won't vote at all. It just seems like a missed opportunity to not even TRY and entertain at least the half of the nation that's center-right to right.

Even a Marxist like Jon Stewart throws the right a bone every now and then.

Users who are viewing this thread