Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They knocked it out of the park with this Joker/Sesame street parody. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqpak5lFxvs

Dunkin Donuts Commercial was spectacular.

McCarthy as Spicer for any who missed it.

I never saw an entire SNL episode before 1990 but I'm sure there were hit and miss sketches just like there are now. If those first 5 or 6 seasons were put on comedy central I'm almost sure that majority of people under 30 would say WTF is this.

If this season right now was the very first season of SNL ever, but every single thing was the same. Same actors, writers, skits, musical acts, impersonations, and there were no other shows before it or currently like it(just like it was during the first season), it would be considered the greatest show on tv. If the show was new and edgy and poked fun at the POTUS and was the first to do so(just like S1)people would stay in on a Saturday to watch it. If Seth Meyers did weekend update first, he would have set the bar high and be remembered by most as a top 3 WU anchor of all time.

disagree. i've watched almost every ep of SNL in its entirety within 24 hrs of its broadcast since the beginning and, yes, the oof % has always been about the same. but the highs were higher, my friend - even if they dont always translate to now. the point of the show has always been to have the best talent available attempt not to entertain but to hold a mirror up to the culture. when that's happening, it's funny, relevant & the failures are forgivable. this show is a reflection of the lack of attack coming from a producer who has become what he would have made high fun of at one time - an old fart trying to be hip. SNL has been trying to please & entertain since Fey left and, except for a few rare talent flashes from the performers and hard looks at the worst of ourselves - as with Stefon & the logic processes of Girl @ a Party - they havent any better clue of how to do more than the team behind "Up All Night".
This is 100% accurate.

I never saw an entire SNL episode before 1990 but I'm sure there were hit and miss sketches just like there are now. If those first 5 or 6 seasons were put on comedy central I'm almost sure that majority of people under 30 would say WTF is this. If this season right now was the very first season of SNL ever, but every single thing was the same. Same actors, writers, skits, musical acts, impersonations, and there were no other shows before it or currently like it(just like it was during the first season), it would be considered the greatest show on tv. If the show was new and edgy and poked fun at the POTUS and was the first to do so(just like S1)people would stay in on a Saturday to watch it. If Seth Meyers did weekend update first, he would have set the bar high and be remembered by most as a top 3 WU anchor of all time.

disagree. i've watched almost every ep of SNL in its entirety within 24 hrs of its broadcast since the beginning and, yes, the oof % has always been about the same. but the highs were higher, my friend - even if they dont always translate to now. the point of the show has always been to have the best talent available attempt not to entertain but to hold a mirror up to the culture. when that's happening, it's funny, relevant & the failures are forgivable. this show is a reflection of the lack of attack coming from a producer who has become what he would have made high fun of at one time - an old fart trying to be hip. SNL has been trying to please & entertain since Fey left and, except for a few rare talent flashes from the performers and hard looks at the worst of ourselves - as with Stefon & the logic processes of Girl @ a Party - they havent any better clue of how to do more than the team behind "Up All Night".
:goodposting:
  • 4 weeks later...

Concur, Vaughn looks like he is 50 tonight, perhaps even 55 by Hollywood standards. Opening monologue was basically an extension of his character at the breakfast table in the Wedding Crashers, then commercial for his new movie June 7th...

They will re-run this episode the week that movie comes out over the summer, take it to the bank, was probably part of the agreement for tonight's show.

Edited by Ministry of Pain

Concur, Vaughn looks like he is 50 tonight, perhaps even 55 by Hollywood standards. Opening monologue was basically an extension of his character at the breakfast table in the Wedding Crashers, then commercial for his new movie June 7th... They will re-run this episode the week that movie comes out over the summer, take it to the bank, was probably part of the agreement for tonight's show.

He doesn't necessarily look old to me, maybe mid 40's and too many weekends doing coke with strippers. Seriously, the bags under his eyes, WTF.This musical guest sucks.

On a sidenote, where is Cecily Strong this episode?

In a blonde wig as one of the weather channel / soap stars (horrible idea, but at least it was a new skit). IIRC this was the first skit.

Concur, Vaughn looks like he is 50 tonight, perhaps even 55 by Hollywood standards. Opening monologue was basically an extension of his character at the breakfast table in the Wedding Crashers, then commercial for his new movie June 7th... They will re-run this episode the week that movie comes out over the summer, take it to the bank, was probably part of the agreement for tonight's show.

He doesn't necessarily look old to me, maybe mid 40's and too many weekends doing coke with strippers. Seriously, the bags under his eyes, WTF.This musical guest sucks.
Vince is 43.

Phoenix is awesome Just sound bad on SNL, as everyone else does

I'm gonna check them out. If I hear new bands these days, it's purely by accident. I listen to sports talk radio all day. :bag:
Me too! Music used to be so important to me too, then i got old

I've defended this show from the "IT HAS SUCKED SINCE 1983" crowd. I still find it enjoyable more than not... but this weeks episode was very, very bad. Worst in a while.

I've defended this show from the "IT HAS SUCKED SINCE 1983" crowd. I still find it enjoyable more than not... but this weeks episode was very, very bad. Worst in a while.

Better than the Kevin Hart ep at least.I liked the monologue and a few skits.

Better than the Kevin Hart ep at least.
:lmao:
in the running for worst of the decade.
  • 3 weeks later...

Kristen Wiig May 11. She'll break out some new skits and get really, really creative, it will be the best thing to happen to the show since she left.

I'm taking it as a very bad sign that they are using a Gilly screenshot to promote next week on the SNL Facebook account.

• Like 1

Kristen Wiig May 11. She'll break out some new skits and get really, really creative, it will be the best thing to happen to the show since she left.

Can't wait to see her break out some new and improved awkward female characters...blech. I'll never understand the appeal...

I'm taking it as a very bad sign that they are using a Gilly screenshot to promote next week on the SNL Facebook account.

:goodposting: She'll probably resurrect every crappy character she ever did. Ugh.

Can't wait to see her break out some new and improved awkward female characters...blech. I'll never understand the appeal...

Couldn't agree more.

I would like to know what moments were funny. Game of Thrones? never seen the show but it was a one note character that just was boring to be honest. The best part of that skit was the game show host and that was a pretty meh part as well. I wanted to like the show, even a so so show would have been OK but I hardly laughed at all.

This episode was a big yawner. :yawn: Not completely horrible, but not funny either. The corrections at the end of the Fox & Friends skit was the only thing that made me laugh.

The chupacabra does not deliver presents on Cinco de Mayo.

Bangladesh is not an 80s metal band.

Force feeding is not how Jedis eat.

Ministry of Pain, on 06 May 2013 - 07:57, said:I would like to know what moments were funny.

Apparently, for you, none of them. For me, lots of them. Different strokes and all that. :shrug:

Only skit that I remember laughing at was Racist Jim or whatever his name was...

Other than that...typical SNL weekend.

Writers should be taken outside and flogged...with the carcass of Lorne Michaels...that dried up hack does not know what funny is...

:goodposting: She'll probably resurrect every crappy character she ever did. Ugh.

I enjoy the Lawrence Welk shtick, that's about all I'm looking forward to. Vampire Weekend's not bad as far as SNL musical guests go these days, either.