Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They knocked it out of the park with this Joker/Sesame street parody. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqpak5lFxvs

Dunkin Donuts Commercial was spectacular.

McCarthy as Spicer for any who missed it.

27 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

I thought he’d catch more grief for the gay pride month stuff.

actually, it's a perfect venue for that kinda stuff. established comics can wail on cancel culture and get heard without getting hurt (unless one is hoping to be a matinee idol, which Burr clearly isnt) on SNL cuz they know they arent shutting it down by doing so. an SNL monologue, the supposed voice of the zeitgeist, is its own trigger warning, like standup shows are supposed to be

10 hours ago, AAABatteries said:

I don’t pay attention but I’m guessing SNL is catching some flak for Burr’s opening monologue.

:lmao: I thought it was funny as hell but I'm from a different generation.

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, SDJohnny said:

I'm loving this episode so far tonight. Fortune Teller, Bachelor,  and Trump Addicts all solid.

Visiting grandma was good too.  When the 'kids' finally had to break down that the boyfriend was unemployed or that the woman was now divorced after a threesome...so good when grandma finally understood.  They should run that one back again for more ridiculous set-ups.

8 hours ago, Skipdog77 said:

Kate McKinnon as Guliani during Weekend Update last night was fantastic. Fully expected her hand to slip down in her pants at some point though.  

I am getting tired of her shtick. I like her much better when she is not trying to impersonate public figures.

5 hours ago, RickySpanish said:

Hasn't that been a staple for SNL since its inception?

I think it's all the prosthetics that she uses that gets on my nerves.

You are correct it is a good part of what they do. 

• Like 1
On 10/12/2020 at 4:54 AM, gump said:

His tribute to Eddie...https://youtu.be/pH-iOaWuC_s

Apologies in advance, I'll be needlessly splitting hairs:

I love Jack White and think he's a guitar virtuoso. As amazing as he is, he is STILL underrated as a guitarist.

That said, that wasn't a tribute to Eddie. He used two-handed tapping techniques that many know best from Eddie's bag of tricks, but it's a technique that predates Eddie, pretty much dating back to Paganini, brought back to the guitar by jazz guitarist Emmitt Chapman, and brought to rock by guys like Harvey Mandel of Canned Heat and Steve Hackett of Genesis.

And as good as White is, he's no Eddie -- and not sure that consisted of a tribute. 

Back to SNL -- the string of stand-up comics has been great. Rock, Burr, Mulaney, Chapelle -- brings back some edge to the opening monologue. Some of it falls a little short -- it invariably seems a little too long, and the audience doesn't seem prepared for the format. But love that they are trying something new.

SNL has a long history of ad-libbing. It seems to me, however, that they might also be switching up the jokes on cur cards from what they've been through the week practice. This is more evident to me during Weekend Updates, and I thought I caught it a few times while Mulaney was on given some of his reactions. Makes sense they do it to him given his long experience with the show as opposed to someone like Adele. I think it's leading to more breaking character and laughing in skits.

Might just be me, and maybe they have been doing this all along and I am noticing it more.

44 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Apologies in advance, I'll be needlessly splitting hairs:

I love Jack White and think he's a guitar virtuoso. As amazing as he is, he is STILL underrated as a guitarist.

That said, that wasn't a tribute to Eddie. He used two-handed tapping techniques that many know best from Eddie's bag of tricks, but it's a technique that predates Eddie, pretty much dating back to Paganini, brought back to the guitar by jazz guitarist Emmitt Chapman, and brought to rock by guys like Harvey Mandel of Canned Heat and Steve Hackett of Genesis.

And as good as White is, he's no Eddie -- and not sure that consisted of a tribute. 

Yeah I think you're getting hung up on the word tribute, more like he was paying his respects. White's own words regarding the performance:

"The guitar was designed by Eddie (with a few customizations I had added)," White said in an Instagram post. "Eddie was very kind to me and saw to it that this guitar was made for me to my specs. I wont even insult the man's talent by trying to play one of his songs tonight. Thanks again Eddie for this guitar and rest in peace sir."

46 minutes ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

SNL has a long history of ad-libbing. It seems to me, however, that they might also be switching up the jokes on cur cards from what they've been through the week practice. This is more evident to me during Weekend Updates, and I thought I caught it a few times while Mulaney was on given some of his reactions. Makes sense they do it to him given his long experience with the show as opposed to someone like Adele. I think it's leading to more breaking character and laughing in skits.

Might just be me, and maybe they have been doing this all along and I am noticing it more.

Mulaney was a writer for the show and would switch things up on Hader when he was doing Stefan on Weekend Update. 

https://news.avclub.com/heres-what-john-mulaney-said-to-make-bill-hader-break-c-1823919709

• Like 2
1 hour ago, peaces said:

Yeah I think you're getting hung up on the word tribute, more like he was paying his respects. White's own words regarding the performance:

"The guitar was designed by Eddie (with a few customizations I had added)," White said in an Instagram post. "Eddie was very kind to me and saw to it that this guitar was made for me to my specs. I wont even insult the man's talent by trying to play one of his songs tonight. Thanks again Eddie for this guitar and rest in peace sir."

Yeah, I think you're deflecting a little given that that was your exact choice of words.

Either way, that's an awesome tidbit -- both about the guitar and his relationship with EVH -- thanks for sharing. 

1 hour ago, SDJohnny said:

Mulaney was a writer for the show and would switch things up on Hader when he was doing Stefan on Weekend Update. 

https://news.avclub.com/heres-what-john-mulaney-said-to-make-bill-hader-break-c-1823919709

That totally explains it when he was on. I am sure they still do this on the Weekend Update segments regardless.  

Might have started back when they were airing the segment remotely, as there was a brief segment where either Che or Colin would read a joke the other had written for them to read sight unseen on air. I bet when they returned in front of studio audiences, they kept it going Mulaney-style.

Wonder if switching out gags between dress and live was always a think at SNL. Totally sounds like something the original crew would do to each other now and then.

23 hours ago, Stompin' Tom Connors said:

Might have started back when they were airing the segment remotely, as there was a brief segment where either Che or Colin would read a joke the other had written for them to read sight unseen on air.

Great episode every year.  Inevitably the jokes Che writes for Jost end up making him sound like a racist or have him saying something that a normal, well-intentioned person would absolutely not say.

Edited by trader jake
  • Like 1
On 11/1/2020 at 9:55 PM, trader jake said:

John Mulaney could host once a year. 

Seems like that has beem happening the last few years.

Chappelle's monologue last Sunday was one of the best ever, IMO. Hilarious and poignant.