What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting. (4 Viewers)

I thought he’d catch more grief for the gay pride month stuff.
actually, it's a perfect venue for that kinda stuff. established comics can wail on cancel culture and get heard without getting hurt (unless one is hoping to be a matinee idol, which Burr clearly isnt) on SNL cuz they know they arent shutting it down by doing so. an SNL monologue, the supposed voice of the zeitgeist, is its own trigger warning, like standup shows are supposed to be

Also the monologue was fine. I'm an LGBTQ supporter, I found zero offense in the statement it was funny. That's Bill Burr. If he gets cancelled for that I'd be shocked. 

I'm loving this episode so far tonight. Fortune Teller, Bachelor,  and Trump Addicts all solid.
Visiting grandma was good too.  When the 'kids' finally had to break down that the boyfriend was unemployed or that the woman was now divorced after a threesome...so good when grandma finally understood.  They should run that one back again for more ridiculous set-ups.

Kate McKinnon as Guliani during Weekend Update last night was fantastic. Fully expected her hand to slip down in her pants at some point though.  

Skipdog77 said:
Kate McKinnon as Guliani during Weekend Update last night was fantastic. Fully expected her hand to slip down in her pants at some point though.  
I am getting tired of her shtick. I like her much better when she is not trying to impersonate public figures.

Apologies in advance, I'll be needlessly splitting hairs:

I love Jack White and think he's a guitar virtuoso. As amazing as he is, he is STILL underrated as a guitarist.

That said, that wasn't a tribute to Eddie. He used two-handed tapping techniques that many know best from Eddie's bag of tricks, but it's a technique that predates Eddie, pretty much dating back to Paganini, brought back to the guitar by jazz guitarist Emmitt Chapman, and brought to rock by guys like Harvey Mandel of Canned Heat and Steve Hackett of Genesis.

And as good as White is, he's no Eddie -- and not sure that consisted of a tribute. 

Back to SNL -- the string of stand-up comics has been great. Rock, Burr, Mulaney, Chapelle -- brings back some edge to the opening monologue. Some of it falls a little short -- it invariably seems a little too long, and the audience doesn't seem prepared for the format. But love that they are trying something new.

SNL has a long history of ad-libbing. It seems to me, however, that they might also be switching up the jokes on cur cards from what they've been through the week practice. This is more evident to me during Weekend Updates, and I thought I caught it a few times while Mulaney was on given some of his reactions. Makes sense they do it to him given his long experience with the show as opposed to someone like Adele. I think it's leading to more breaking character and laughing in skits.

Might just be me, and maybe they have been doing this all along and I am noticing it more.

Apologies in advance, I'll be needlessly splitting hairs:

I love Jack White and think he's a guitar virtuoso. As amazing as he is, he is STILL underrated as a guitarist.

That said, that wasn't a tribute to Eddie. He used two-handed tapping techniques that many know best from Eddie's bag of tricks, but it's a technique that predates Eddie, pretty much dating back to Paganini, brought back to the guitar by jazz guitarist Emmitt Chapman, and brought to rock by guys like Harvey Mandel of Canned Heat and Steve Hackett of Genesis.

And as good as White is, he's no Eddie -- and not sure that consisted of a tribute. 
Yeah I think you're getting hung up on the word tribute, more like he was paying his respects. White's own words regarding the performance:

"The guitar was designed by Eddie (with a few customizations I had added)," White said in an Instagram post. "Eddie was very kind to me and saw to it that this guitar was made for me to my specs. I wont even insult the man's talent by trying to play one of his songs tonight. Thanks again Eddie for this guitar and rest in peace sir."

SNL has a long history of ad-libbing. It seems to me, however, that they might also be switching up the jokes on cur cards from what they've been through the week practice. This is more evident to me during Weekend Updates, and I thought I caught it a few times while Mulaney was on given some of his reactions. Makes sense they do it to him given his long experience with the show as opposed to someone like Adele. I think it's leading to more breaking character and laughing in skits.

Might just be me, and maybe they have been doing this all along and I am noticing it more.
Mulaney was a writer for the show and would switch things up on Hader when he was doing Stefan on Weekend Update. 

https://news.avclub.com/heres-what-john-mulaney-said-to-make-bill-hader-break-c-1823919709

Yeah I think you're getting hung up on the word tribute, more like he was paying his respects. White's own words regarding the performance:

"The guitar was designed by Eddie (with a few customizations I had added)," White said in an Instagram post. "Eddie was very kind to me and saw to it that this guitar was made for me to my specs. I wont even insult the man's talent by trying to play one of his songs tonight. Thanks again Eddie for this guitar and rest in peace sir."
Yeah, I think you're deflecting a little given that that was your exact choice of words.

Either way, that's an awesome tidbit -- both about the guitar and his relationship with EVH -- thanks for sharing. 

Mulaney was a writer for the show and would switch things up on Hader when he was doing Stefan on Weekend Update. 

https://news.avclub.com/heres-what-john-mulaney-said-to-make-bill-hader-break-c-1823919709
That totally explains it when he was on. I am sure they still do this on the Weekend Update segments regardless.  

Might have started back when they were airing the segment remotely, as there was a brief segment where either Che or Colin would read a joke the other had written for them to read sight unseen on air. I bet when they returned in front of studio audiences, they kept it going Mulaney-style.

Wonder if switching out gags between dress and live was always a think at SNL. Totally sounds like something the original crew would do to each other now and then.

Might have started back when they were airing the segment remotely, as there was a brief segment where either Che or Colin would read a joke the other had written for them to read sight unseen on air.
Great episode every year.  Inevitably the jokes Che writes for Jost end up making him sound like a racist or have him saying something that a normal, well-intentioned person would absolutely not say.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife likes it, I think mostly because it learns her direction politically. I don't mind the political humor as much as I just think they all perform so poorly. I used to like Pete Davidson but he stopped being funny after the billionth time he mentioned his father in a joke. Are the two dudes who do the news even comedians? Do they do anything else? The majority of the cast cant keep a straight face through any of the bits. It's great when it happens sometimes but it happens in every single bit. They aren't trained actors, I get it, but they just fall apart. 

This is the best skit Ive seen in the last decade. Also shows what happens when a good actor gets around a bunch of bums. 

tell you what - i would personally donate up to FOURTEEN dollars to his retirement party if Lorne Michaels would turn the keys to SNL over to Keegan-Michael Key tomorrow and go buy Croatia and grow wine or some such. KMK understands the shape of 21st C comedy, can write & concept & corral real talent so SNL aint one weirdass white lady, a newsteam that laughs at their jokes so we dont have to, four guys who beefcake the cissies and eleven new brands of token (i swear Michaels will hire a trans Taliban and a bowl of phở for next year's cast if he's allowed to continue) anymore. last nite's werent the funniest show, but most of the sketches resolved themselves and were almost about sumn.

This new guy, James Austin Johnson, does a ridiculous Trump.

https://youtu.be/CU-WdnXJabs?t=249

here's where the closest impression is not always the best. while the growling element of the voice is accurate, it disrupts rhythm and expectation toward what's funny in it. while JAJ highlights that logic-of-illogic groove where the former President slides into the rich-bully lie that his absentee dad is really a secret agent better than the others, the growl throws the audience off that greasy traIL. Jim Downey would be bootcamping him on that.

I admit I don't watch SNL when it is on and I usually just catch all the clips on You Tube. When i saw some of the reviews about this last weekend's show, you would have believed it was one of the most legendary episodes in SNL history. I watched most of this clips and the cable one was funny. The Clown was good hard hitting commentary,  but the rest of the clips were average at best and far from one of the best shows SNL has ever put out in their entire history. 

Am I missing something or has the bar been set that low for this show? 

I admit I don't watch SNL when it is on and I usually just catch all the clips on You Tube. When i saw some of the reviews about this last weekend's show, you would have believed it was one of the most legendary episodes in SNL history. I watched most of this clips and the cable one was funny. The Clown was good hard hitting commentary,  but the rest of the clips were average at best and far from one of the best shows SNL has ever put out in their entire history. 

among the season of eulogies following the death of Norm MacDonald was Tina Fey's declaration that Norm was the last dangerous comic on SNL. that it's been 25 years, then, since the show that set the zeitgeist was dangerous tells the tale of how it became irrelevant. while those Ferrell/Fey/Wiig years were highly fruitful for the Funny, they made the comedy smaller, more personal. that's harder to write, but the Harvard types who took over the biz in the 90s had a handle on it.

i know i'm blowing this all up, but i cant write another comment on how feebly Michaels has aged and his staff stopped being able to find their way out of, and now into, their premises. so ima go another way

for good or ill, SNL was the NFL of comedy. original head writer Mike ODonoghue was Jack Tatum, Eddie Murphy, was LT,  Jim Downey was Lyle Alzado. if you were big, made noise in the world, SNL was gonna make sure you could take a hit, too. that's what made it not only the best comedy show, but style magazine and possibly political manifesto in the land.

SNL didnt chicken out. it accidently hired nicer people and found that things ran smoother that way. and smoother, and smoother and smoother. pretty soon, the show diidnt stop anyone in the hall or down Main Street - just made a snidey as they passed. and smoother and smoother and smoother. The last true rip i recall on the show was Amy Poehler's amazing "muthahumpin moose" on Palin and that's more than a dozen yrs ago. we coulda used alot more Tatums & Alzados this last decade, but this last decade became all about making referees more central to the game than headhunters, leaving a wide berth for this worlds real thugs to run thru unscathed. and now comedy is presided over by people who took comedy in college. that'll work...

Courtjester said:

They really ought to trim the show to one hour.  Many skits are forced to hammer the same punchline for five straight minutes just to fill up time.  Ditch the second music act, cut Weekend Update down by 5 minutes, and tighten each skit so they're not so long winded. 

They really ought to trim the show to one hour.  Many skits are forced to hammer the same punchline for five straight minutes just to fill up time.  Ditch the second music act, cut Weekend Update down by 5 minutes, and tighten each skit so they're not so long winded. 

Nope.  Same as it ever was.

Users who are viewing this thread