What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Scott Walker WI governor vs the Packers & teachers (1 Viewer)

If teachers are fired or let go because of this, I will be at the district office first thing the morning to tell them I can be at the school that same day. I will show up lessons in hand and ready to go.
You're an unemployed teacher?
I am not unemployed however I have never had the opportunity to teach full time either. So, in a way, I am unemployed for the profession I went to school for to enhance my career opportunities.

I don't think there's a ton of opposition to the concept of reducing salaries for many or most public employees, including teachers. I think the concern with Walker's tactics is that he is stripping the unions of their ability to collectively bargain on any of the issues cba's typically address, other than pay. I'm not really sure how he is doing this, but that is how it is being reported - that the teachers' union (for example) can no longer bargain over things like sick pay, hours, vacation discipline, promotions, etc. That seems strange to me, even as a critic of the teachers union. Its also a concern that he has completely exempted the police and firefighters unions, claiming they have special status relating to public security. In Milwaukee, both of these unions were big Walker supporters last November, although I know that was not necessarily true across the state.
:goodposting: Agree with everything you've said. With Madison schools closing today (40% of teachers called in sick), expect to see many teachers and students at the capital today, haven't seen any news footage yet. It's interesting to see the public employee vs. private employee sentiment that is going on in the state. A couple months back there were a couple of articles in local papers pointing out the public employee benefit/pay packages and how they compare to private employees and it was slanted towards: the private employees are taking pay cuts and have to pay for benefits so the public should too. Will be interesting to see if this bill gets passed and if so, what ramifications there will be for those approving it. Many angry people in Wisconsin today.
Pathetic.They should be fired.

Yea, "We're here for the kids" is a load of :bs:
So who are you gonna replace them with if you fire them? :lmao:
My guess is of the 9% plus of unemployed people just a few of them are ex-Teachers who would LOVE to take their jobs.. :shrug:

What's at stake in WisconsinWhat bill would do 2) Unions also could not force employees to pay dues and would have to hold annual votes to stay organized.
What the union bosses are really worried about.
Annual votes to stay organized? That sounds like a complete pain and waste of resources.
Wisconsin is not a "right to work" state. If you have a public sector job you are in a union and paying union dues from day one. The unions are crapping themselves because this bill would stop that. If you want to be in a union and pay union dues, fine. If you don't, also fine. Messing with the union money is what they're most fearful of.

To the story above, the ability to collectively bargain isn't a "right". They are not giving up, nor being denied a "right".

Boehner rips Obama for meddling in Wisconsin issue
Is somebody arguing with that?Collective bargaining is not a "right" under most definitions of the word that I know. It is, however, something that developed organically as a part of a free market economy. I take it that you support this government intrusion into this naturally occurring economic phenomenon?

Like Bush Walker inherited a surplus and within days gave it away in tax cuts , and now he wants to use it as an excuse to break unions.
http://www.examiner.com/political-buzz-in-...it?render=printBy Paul Neuberger, Madison Political Buzz Examiner

November 24th, 2010 10:13 am CT

Wisconsin Gov.-elect Scott Walker was the recipient of the unwelcome news that he will be inheriting a projected budget deficit as high as $3.3 billion over the next two years. Last week, the Wisconsin Department of Administration (DOA) published a report announcing there would be a $1.5 billion gap between state revenue and state spending through June 30, 2013. It appears that the news is much grimmer than that, however.

Nearly $1.8 billion in extra costsAs published on JSOnline, John Hiller, Walker transition director, said, “the revenue projections released Friday underscore what Governor-elect Walker has said for months – the state of Wisconsin is facing very serious budget challenges. Further, we believe that the true budget shortfall is much higher than indicated by the projections released [last week].”

The report by the DOA, according to Walker officials, does not take several costly measures into consideration which would drastically raise that number. For starters, according to the non-partisan Legislative Fiscal Bureau, Wisconsin faces a deficit of nearly $100 million in the current state budget, which ends on June 30, 2011.

Due to rising costs within a variety of state agencies, in particularly Medicare (projected $148 million overage), the Public Defender’s Office (projected $9 million overage), and the state prison system, which also might finish the year in the red, Walker officials maintain it will be nearly impossible to avoid this deficit.

These predictions by the Walker team are in stark contrast to the report by the DOA, especially in regards to the current budget that ends June 30. According to this report, not only will there not be a $100 million deficit, there will actually be a surplus of $10 million. This razor thin profit would be out of an overall budget of $13.54 billion (.074%) and would only be enough to run state programs for about 6.5 hours.

However, a surplus of any size surely is better than a deficit, state officials maintain. As published on JSOnline, State Administration Secretary Dan Schooff said, “It seems like people would like there to be a budget emergency, but there’s not.”

According to Walker officials, the $1.5 billion does not take into consideration the projected shortfall of $100 million in the current budget, the shortfall of the aforementioned agencies, nor does it account for the $200 million that the state has been ordered to pay back to the Patients Compensation Fund after an illegal raid in 2007 authorized by Gov. Jim Doyle to help balance the state’s budget.

Additionally, tax revenues for the current budget year are expected to fall short of projections. Overall income from this revenue source is expected to fall about $140 million shy of the 5.4% growth that was expected in this sector, serving to further exacerbate the issue.

Lastly, the projected budget deficit makes nearly $1.1 billion in cost-saving assumptions by the Doyle administration over the next two years, namely state employee furloughs, no pay raises, and a virtual hiring freeze, something that is not guaranteed with a new governor being sworn in on Jan. 3.

When one considers the costs not factored in plus the cost saving assumptions made in the development of the budget, Wisconsin is staring a $3.3 billion deficit for the 2011-2013 budget in the face, placing the state in the upper tier of budget deficits across the country.

To put this projected deficit into perspective, it would be a whopping 11% of the overall $29.23 billion state budget for 2011-2013 and would be enough to run both the University of Wisconsin system and the Wisconsin Technical College system for two years with money left to spare.

Praise for Jim Doyle's administration from DOA

Despite the looming budget deficit, Schooffs maintains that the shortfall had been even larger just a few short years ago heading into the 2009-2011 budget, and through the assistance of the federal government, the state was able to proactively address this issue and save Wisconsin money. The DOA in their report to Doyle and state legislators seem to validate this claim.

As published in the Biz Times, the report reads, “Economists have reported that the economic recovery, which began earlier this year, is expected to remain tempered for the next several months, with the global and national economies having limited capacity to weather any further financial crises. However, there are several positive signs for future economic growth, including strong corporate balance sheets and improvement in consumer debt levels and disposable income. Despite the worst economic crisis since the Great Depression, under the leadership of Governor Jim Doyle, Wisconsin was able to keep its budget balanced.”

Ability to create jobs?

Walker, who campaigned heavily on Wisconsin’s need to cut spending and lower taxes (please see video), now finds himself in an unfavorable environment in which to fulfill his biggest campaign pledge: to create 250,000 new Wisconsin jobs. Walker opponents argue that, facing such a drastic budget deficit and with state tax revenue projected to be roughly $140 million short, cutting taxes further will simply exasperate the issue.

As published in the Green Bay Press-Gazette, John Witte, professor of public affairs and political science at UW-Madison, said, “You can argue ‘I’m going to cut taxes and that’s a good thing’, but to link it to a specific job number, that’s going to be very hard. I don’t see how he can cut taxes unless he’s going to give up on fiscal responsibility.”

I think there's an easy way to answer it. Ask some principals that do teacher hiring. They're the ones seeing resumes and doing interviews. Is it their impression that there are loads of talented teachers out there on the sidelines who would be willing to take the jobs from existing teachers? I'm pretty sure the answer is no.
What makes you think that?
Anecdotal evidence. My wife used to be a teacher and is in education. I briefly flirted with the idea of teaching before I decided my family couldn't afford it. My mom was in education for many years. My impression is that principals settle for less-than-stellar teaching candidates because its the best they can get far more often than they are put in the situation of having too many great applicants and not enough jobs.
You don't think Tenure causes teachers to stagnate over time and become less effective than they used to be?
some of them that is a big :goodposting:Why work hard if you know that short of killing someone you'll continue to have a job thanks to the tenure.

What's at stake in WisconsinWhat bill would do 2) Unions also could not force employees to pay dues and would have to hold annual votes to stay organized.
Annual votes to stay organized? That sounds like a complete pain and waste of resources.
Why?? :goodposting: And it is the Union resources so who cares??Make them renew it each year. Let the workers decide if it is worth the dues.

Did anyone one see that "Fox Lies!" guy just now on FOX news?

:goodposting: :shrug:

It'll be making the rounds soon I'm sure.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postparti...y_the_lake.html

All Americans have a constitutional right to free association. But public-sector employees do not have a “fundamental right,” either moral or legal, to bargain collectively... — for the very good reason that they work, ostensibly at least, for the people, not for profit-making private corporations. Federal labor law specifically excludes public employees and leaves it up to the states to expand or contract collective bargaining for their workforces as they see fit. The man who signed that measure into law, President Franklin D. Roosevelt, disapproved of public-employee unionism.

Wisconsin is not a "right to work" state. If you have a public sector job you are in a union and paying union dues from day one. The unions are crapping themselves because this bill would stop that. If you want to be in a union and pay union dues, fine. If you don't, also fine. Messing with the union money is what they're most fearful of.
And my post had to do with the second half of the phrase you quoted.

Why?? :mellow: And it is the Union resources so who cares??Make them renew it each year. Let the workers decide if it is worth the dues.
It's not just the union's resources. Every vote will be accompanied by a campaign, which burns resources of all the stakeholders. Moreover, this will necessarily result in the negotiation of one-year contracts, which significantly increases the costs of bargaining (assuming there would be any bargaining at all).

To the story above, the ability to collectively bargain isn't a "right". They are not giving up, nor being denied a "right".

Boehner rips Obama for meddling in Wisconsin issue
Is somebody arguing with that?Collective bargaining is not a "right" under most definitions of the word that I know. It is, however, something that developed organically as a part of a free market economy. I take it that you support this government intrusion into this naturally occurring economic phenomenon?
The leader of the Wisconsin teacher's union referred to a "God-given right to join a real union", and virtually everyone involved has said that Walker is attempting to remove "workers' rights".

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postparti...y_the_lake.html

All Americans have a constitutional right to free association. But public-sector employees do not have a “fundamental right,” either moral or legal, to bargain collectively... — for the very good reason that they work, ostensibly at least, for the people, not for profit-making private corporations. Federal labor law specifically excludes public employees and leaves it up to the states to expand or contract collective bargaining for their workforces as they see fit. The man who signed that measure into law, President Franklin D. Roosevelt, disapproved of public-employee unionism.
:crickets:Interesting. Please discuss.

I have a question. The Law the Governour suggests exempts law enforcement and fire. Why?
Because they voted for him?
Thanks for playing.Here's your consolation prize. Now go brush up on your facts son.
The reason my response was in the form of a question was because I did not know the answer. I was guessing. If this is the wrong answer, hopefully you can explain what the right one is. TIA

"We are prepared to implement the financial concessions proposed to help bring our state's budget into balance, but we will not be denied our God-given right to join a real union . . .  we will not - I repeat we will not - be denied our rights to collectively bargain," Beil said in a statement.
I'm glad they're willing to compromise and I hope the governor takes them up on it. But this language is, IMO, pretty unfortunate. So now God granted people the right to collective bargaining agreements?

"We are prepared to implement the financial concessions proposed to help bring our state's budget into balance, but we will not be denied our God-given right to join a real union . . .  we will not - I repeat we will not - be denied our rights to collectively bargain," Beil said in a statement.
I'm glad they're willing to compromise and I hope the governor takes them up on it. But this language is, IMO, pretty unfortunate. So now God granted people the right to collective bargaining agreements?
I believe it was in the Book of Job

:rimshot:

Where were you when I created the first real union?

A lot of people forget the sacrifices that were made by their grandfathers and even fathers and not just wars. Many black athletes don't realize what Jackie Robinson and Hank Aaron made fr progress. Freedom is about more than wars overseas, many people suffered here to achieve it too.

Unions fought difficult battles the last 100 years. People should look up what their ancestors endured if they came here before Ellis Island became the entry point.

I don't love unions but they have contributed to the labor freedoms we have today and support what they are doing in Madison. It reminds me a little of Cairo.

I was hoping that Walker would respond to the union offer of compromise by at least acknowledging it and dropping the attempt to end collective bargaining. So far, he hasn't even mentioned it, but is only repeating his rhetoric about the monies and "tough decisions."

He's being dishonest here, IMO. Very depressing.

OK, now he addressed it. He says that the only way to make sure the cuts don't lead to massive layoffs in the local governments is to get rid of collective bargaining. So he's not being dishonest about this. But I still wish there was a way to do this without getting rid of collective bargaining.

I was hoping that Walker would respond to the union offer of compromise by at least acknowledging it and dropping the attempt to end collective bargaining. So far, he hasn't even mentioned it, but is only repeating his rhetoric about the monies and "tough decisions."He's being dishonest here, IMO. Very depressing.
I don't think it is depressing at all. As someone who wants to earn a position as a teacher in this state, the union has done nothing for me or young teachers at all. The schools are making a fundamental change, updates, to schools in technology and many teachers do not know how to use it. I shock students when I talk about technology with them because it is rare that teachers do. The union have not helped me at all therefore, if given the chance, I will pay 12% for my benefits for the ability to walk into a school and teach.Walker is saying what should be said.

I was hoping that Walker would respond to the union offer of compromise by at least acknowledging it and dropping the attempt to end collective bargaining. So far, he hasn't even mentioned it, but is only repeating his rhetoric about the monies and "tough decisions."He's being dishonest here, IMO. Very depressing.
I don't think it is depressing at all. As someone who wants to earn a position as a teacher in this state, the union has done nothing for me or young teachers at all. The schools are making a fundamental change, updates, to schools in technology and many teachers do not know how to use it. I shock students when I talk about technology with them because it is rare that teachers do. The union have not helped me at all therefore, if given the chance, I will pay 12% for my benefits for the ability to walk into a school and teach.Walker is saying what should be said.
What's depressing to me is that he's not willing to accept a compromise. If he asked for the cuts but was willing to keep collective bargaining, he'd get a deal and everyone would be happy. This argument about giving the local governments more power makes no sense, because the unions will negotiate with the local governments too rather than deal with layoffs. Walker can get every budget number he wants, but he's trying to permanently end the power of the unions, and that's not right, IMO. Take the compromise.

What's depressing to me is that he's not willing to accept a compromise. If he asked for the cuts but was willing to keep collective bargaining, he'd get a deal and everyone would be happy. This argument about giving the local governments more power makes no sense, because the unions will negotiate with the local governments too rather than deal with layoffs. Walker can get every budget number he wants, but he's trying to permanently end the power of the unions, and that's not right, IMO. Take the compromise.
The bolded is what is needed to happen. From my point of view, the unions have done very little for the people they "protect", the people of the state (who they work for) and especially the students.

2nd year teacher here who had difficulty finding a full-time teaching job as well. Ended up having to cross the border and am teaching at a charter school in St Paul. With that said, I am very frustrated with Walker as the current governor. Seems like he is trying to play more of a political game than look out for the best interest of all Wisconsinites. It is reasonable that when the economy is down for public employees to take a reduction in benefits and frozen or reduced salaries. But i find it very annoying that Walker is picking and choosing the professions based on which political ideology they tend to lean. For this reason, I think the guy is a ##### and won't trust him for a word he says...

The bolded is what is needed to happen. From my point of view, the unions have done very little for the people they "protect", the people of the state (who they work for) and especially the students.
But that's not an emergency issue. The emergency issue is the budget. Walker is trying to use the budget crisis to crush the unions. This doesn't seem right to me. He can get what Wisconsin needs without having to do this.

What do you expect the union to do to get you a job?

Walker did an outstanding job with the press conference. :thumbup:
:popcorn: I also find it very ironic that the Democratic senators who are AWOL are saying that they want to slow the process down so they can discuss it. Right after Walker won the November elections, and the Republicans gained control over both the state senate and assembly, the Democrats who were in control at the time tried ramming through a new agreement with the state workers before they lost control. They even went so far as to get an assemblyman out of jail who was serving time for a DWI because they needed his vote.

2nd year teacher here who had difficulty finding a full-time teaching job as well. Ended up having to cross the border and am teaching at a charter school in St Paul. With that said, I am very frustrated with Walker as the current governor. Seems like he is trying to play more of a political game than look out for the best interest of all Wisconsinites. It is reasonable that when the economy is down for public employees to take a reduction in benefits and frozen or reduced salaries. But i find it very annoying that Walker is picking and choosing the professions based on which political ideology they tend to lean. For this reason, I think the guy is a ##### and won't trust him for a word he says...
Yeah, I can see that and understand your points. Personally, I really wish the police and fire professions were in this as well. I understand why and one point is because if all three were included, then Madison would be going through hell right now, big time. I think, hope, the police and fire find ways to compromise along with what this bill is about. If those two make some concessions... great. If those two do not, I wish they would step up.

Walker did an outstanding job with the press conference. :popcorn:
He spoke well and made some points. But the result is terrible.
How so? By finally addressing a problem that unions have created and it is affecting states and businesses across the country? We all know we can't contiunue down this road and at some point it had to be addressed.
No it doesn't. What has to be addressed is the budget problem. If you can't afford to pay union scales or pensions, what you do is go back and renegotiate with the unions- they have shown a willingness to do this. What you don't do is go to war with them and try and end collective bargaining. It is undemocratic, IMO.

What do you expect the union to do to get you a job?
I don't expect the union to do anything to get me a job. At the same time though, the union needs and should look out for all of its members and future members as well. Keeping class ratios high with fewer teachers in favor of higher pay for its current members does not help the people the union is working for which is the people of the state. Yes, the union works for the teachers however they are using tax payer money and thus also work for the people of the state. They need to look out for the best of the state and the students and its members.

But that's not an emergency issue. The emergency issue is the budget. Walker is trying to use the budget crisis to crush the unions. This doesn't seem right to me. He can get what Wisconsin needs without having to do this.
What unions are you talking about? If he wanted to crush the unions why isn't he including the policmen, firefighters, or other unions. He can't get Wisconsin what they need without this? What part of massive layoffs don't you understand?

Walker did an outstanding job with the press conference. :thumbup:
:popcorn: nailed it!
Do you guys want your budget cuts, or do you just want to crush the unions?
Do you want to pay a reasonable amount for your benefits or you want the state to collapse on itself???There will be no union to crush, if the state goes into bankruptcy...He is actually saving the unions, from themselves...
I would find this comment very funny, if it were a complete sentence...The state won't go into bankruptcy, because the unions are willing to agree to the governor's budget demands...

What unions are you talking about? If he wanted to crush the unions why isn't he including the policmen, firefighters, or other unions. He can't get Wisconsin what they need without this? What part of massive layoffs don't you understand?
You tell me why he isn't including the police or firefighters. And again, why are massive layoffs needed if the unions are willing to agree to his budget cuts?

What kind of crossover is there between public and private sector unions? I'm trying to understand the differences and similarities. I mean, the unions were created for noble reasons in a time when there were some serious abuses. I'm not saying they aren't needed in the private sector but what are the abuses that the government put on the people that required a public sector union to begin with?

You tell me why he isn't including the police or firefighters. And again, why are massive layoffs needed if the unions are willing to agree to his budget cuts?
Answer the damn question! You say he wants to crush the unions! Which unions is he including in this bill? How many unions? Since you seem to act like you know so tell us. Also, if you just watched his press conference he stated why layoffs will happen if it doesn't pass. It's clear you don't have any idea on this since you didn't even know some kids were dependent on schools for hot lunches. :yes:

Users who are viewing this thread