What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (7 Viewers)

HD video can range anywhere from 1 GB an hour to 10GB+.  Standard def stuff is typically about a gig an hour or less - much depends on the compression methods used. 

Who's your internet with?  Do you have a cap and then overage charges?
Comcast is my provider.

according to the link posted previously, they had a cap of 250g but are raising it to 1TB.  I would have to call to make sure this is happening in my area.

If I assume 10g per hour, that means at 1TB, that would be ~100 hours of streaming video per month before overage charges, which means ~3 hours per day.

Oh my, if my math is right, there is no way I can afford to cut the cord even if they raise to 1TB.  I would guess when covering the entire family and all the tvs (some of which are being watched at the same time) that we easily average over 7 hours a day, if not more.

:(

Comcast is my provider.

according to the link posted previously, they had a cap of 250g but are raising it to 1TB.  I would have to call to make sure this is happening in my area.

If I assume 10g per hour, that means at 1TB, that would be ~100 hours of streaming video per month before overage charges, which means ~3 hours per day.

Oh my, if my math is right, there is no way I can afford to cut the cord even if they raise to 1TB.  I would guess when covering the entire family and all the tvs (some of which are being watched at the same time) that we easily average over 7 hours a day, if not more.

:(
I don't think they've ever enforced the cap, at all.  Definitely no overages.  At worst they would limit your bandwidth (throttle you).  That 10GB is a very high estimate.  3GB or so might be closer to an estimate (confirmed by this article)

If/when you get throttled, can you still stream or are you stuck buffering like crazy?
I've never had it happen, so I don't know.  If you're watching super HD stuff (4k) you're likely buffering even before throttling.  How fast is your current net service?

I've never had it happen, so I don't know.  If you're watching super HD stuff (4k) you're likely buffering even before throttling.  How fast is your current net service?
very slow (I have the cheapest plan) but I know that if I decide to cut the cord I will move to the 25M service.  Playstation Vue I think recommends at least 10M, so hopefully the 25M gives more than enough room.

Does that sound fast enough for you or should I plan to go to a higher speed for very reliable streaming?

matttyl said:
That amount sounds ridiculously high for the amount he's watching.  I'm typically around that amount as well, but we stream far more (including netflix and amazon prime and such), and my wife telecommutes from home.
I'm an idiot. I was shooting from the hip and was way high. My last three full months' usage: 95, 105, 125

Apologies

very slow (I have the cheapest plan) but I know that if I decide to cut the cord I will move to the 25M service.  Playstation Vue I think recommends at least 10M, so hopefully the 25M gives more than enough room.

Does that sound fast enough for you or should I plan to go to a higher speed for very reliable streaming?
Mine is around 95 up and 6 down and (obviously) never had any issues.  It was a free or negligible upgrade charge from me over 25.  I never had any issues at either, so you should be fine as well.  You did mention that you may have multiple folks in your house all streaming at once, so that may cause an issue, but you should be able to call and upgrade at any time. 

getting ready to order my new modem and router (at the very least, to stop the monthly rental rape fee from Comast)... here's what I am looking at:

TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 - $89.95

Arris Surfboard SB6183 - $97.28

Just wanted to run it by you experts and make sure these are still recommended, and are still good value for the $.
That's what I have except a little downgrade with the SB6141 because I found a refurbished one for around $40.  Couldn't be happier.    

I have 20M and a lot of times have 2 TV streaming (1 roku, 1 fire stick) + an ipad and never have had any issues.

That's what I have except a little downgrade with the SB6141 because I found a refurbished one for around $40.  Couldn't be happier.    
Have the same setup, different modem. I have that puppy on Comcast Blast! running at ~160-170Mbps down on wireless and have never had a single buffer streaming up to 1080p HD via my iMac that's the media server on the network. That router is a tonydead recommendation and is :moneybag:

getting ready to order my new modem and router (at the very least, to stop the monthly rental rape fee from Comast)... here's what I am looking at:

TP-Link Archer C7 AC1750 - $89.95

Arris Surfboard SB6183 - $97.28

Just wanted to run it by you experts and make sure these are still recommended, and are still good value for the $.
Simply can't go wrong with that modem.  The router is really good too but I don't own it so not first hand, just what I've seen, read, discussed.  I have the Asus 87 and can say it is is perfect, especially when you get into some of the more advanced features. 

Good choices.

Well, here I am again. Popping in at 4 months after cutting the cable and happy as a lark. 

Streamed the draft last week and all went well.

my latest updates on the subject are that I had a chance to use a Roku4 (my devices are all Apple) and they appear to work very similarly in terms of range, challenges to distance, putting up with interference from my bazillion devices in my home, etc.  I had originally thought the Apple Tv box wasn't going to be as solid as I expected it but after testing the Roku4, I think it is doing what is reasonably achievable and that any higher expectations may be my fault, not theirs. 

Saved another $100+ this month.  :)

Dropping this in here for you overachivers. Movie site I've been using the last few weeks, Putlocker. It's a streaming site and while I think it hides in a gray area of torrents, it works. If you it hasn't made it in here yet, enjoy. If it has, ignore me par usual and I'll slink back to my corner.

http://putlocker.is/

best way to "extend" the wifi signal?

modem/router is in family room downstairs and sometimes signal gets weak in upstairs bedroom

something like this? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L0YLRUW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=33F2GQGEC6EYC&coliid=I7HH677ICATCF&psc=1

or i there another way that is better?
What's your current router?  I upgraded from an older D link to a newer Asus and have coverage all over the house and out in the yard.

What's your current router?  I upgraded from an older D link to a newer Asus and have coverage all over the house and out in the yard.
I know it is an older dlink, maybe 5 years old...I will get the model when I go home.

Which modem did you go to?

Dropping this in here for you overachivers. Movie site I've been using the last few weeks, Putlocker. It's a streaming site and while I think it hides in a gray area of torrents, it works. If you it hasn't made it in here yet, enjoy. If it has, ignore me par usual and I'll slink back to my corner.

http://putlocker.is/
That site comes up a lot on Exodus on Kodi

What is it about that one that you like?  I might be looking for a new one too. 
Honestly, it's made by Asus.  I have the rt-n66u currently and love it.  The range blows away the d link routers I've had, it's very easy to set up and "tweak" if you're into that, and for those with a little vanity, it looks pretty sweet.  The AC-66U is identical in all ways, except for having AC capabilities (which would only matter with my iphone 6).  At the time it wasn't worth ~$50 or so to have faster internet on my phone only. 

Just my opinion but I like the Titanium build better than mbman.  I can't stand the font on mbman, I can hardly even read it even with my glasses on.  It's also really slow on my firestick.  Titanium has resolution and sound type listed as well as movie synopsis, although you have to start the movie stream first.  I wish there was a build that would bring that info up as you are searching through the movies without having to start the stream.  

Just my opinion but I like the Titanium build better than mbman.  I can't stand the font on mbman, I can hardly even read it even with my glasses on.  It's also really slow on my firestick.  Titanium has resolution and sound type listed as well as movie synopsis, although you have to start the movie stream first.  I wish there was a build that would bring that info up as you are searching through the movies without having to start the stream.  
I'm leaning towards switching back to Titanium myself.  After messing with it now for a week or so, I totally can relate to the font being a bad issue.  I can't tell the difference between several letters of the alphabet on general searches with mbman.

I did see that Husham Memar on YT previewed another new build called Morpheus.

MORPHEUS

Last edited by a moderator:
best way to "extend" the wifi signal?

modem/router is in family room downstairs and sometimes signal gets weak in upstairs bedroom

something like this? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L0YLRUW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=33F2GQGEC6EYC&coliid=I7HH677ICATCF&psc=1

or i there another way that is better?
I would wire up ubiquitis in the attic.  Can get spendy but it's well worth it.  Those range extenders are trash.  You need repeaters.  

http://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Networks-Enterprise-AP-Unifi/dp/B00HXT8R2O

I have Directv (Premiere Package) and want to cut the cord by using Roku 3(?).  Before doing so, I have been searching around for a DVR-type of hookup for non-air channels (such as AMC, HBO, Showtime, etc.).  "Why would I need that when I can get the shows anytime I want?" you ask.

Basically it would be to know when a new episode or season starts without having to remember to search and every 3,6, 18 months only to discover it hasn't started yet.  It would just automatically record these shows and it would show on my queue when a new episode is available.

Is there any process/add-on/app/hardware that would be able to do this?  I have found solutions for over-air recording and that is great, but nothing so far for non-air.

I have Directv (Premiere Package) and want to cut the cord by using Roku 3(?).  Before doing so, I have been searching around for a DVR-type of hookup for non-air channels (such as AMC, HBO, Showtime, etc.).  "Why would I need that when I can get the shows anytime I want?" you ask.

Basically it would be to know when a new episode or season starts without having to remember to search and every 3,6, 18 months only to discover it hasn't started yet.  It would just automatically record these shows and it would show on my queue when a new episode is available.

Is there any process/add-on/app/hardware that would be able to do this?  I have found solutions for over-air recording and that is great, but nothing so far for non-air.
I believe Sony Playstation Vue offers a Cloud-based DVR on one of their packages (maybe all, I forget). Not sure it would do what you are speaking of though.

there is an app called "next episode" for android/ios that would serve this purpose. 

I don't use it, but looked into it and the reviews seemed solid.

there is an app called "next episode" for android/ios that would serve this purpose. 

I don't use it, but looked into it and the reviews seemed solid.
Maybe something like this is more of what I am looking for.  Now that I think about it, recording isn't really what I would need.  It would be more of a notification listing of shows I am interested and episodes I haven't watched yet.  If I can get to those episodes anytime then I don't need to record it.  I just want a listing to tell me that the latest unwatched episode is now available.  I will look into "next episode" as an option.  Thanks.

bulldog_guy said:
Maybe something like this is more of what I am looking for.  Now that I think about it, recording isn't really what I would need.  It would be more of a notification listing of shows I am interested and episodes I haven't watched yet.  If I can get to those episodes anytime then I don't need to record it.  I just want a listing to tell me that the latest unwatched episode is now available.  I will look into "next episode" as an option.  Thanks.
roku also has something called "my feed". I haven't tried it yet, but sounds like it might be what you are looking or...

The centerpiece of Roku’s new software is Roku Feed, a feature that lets you bookmark movies and TV shows, and get notified when they’re available for streaming. While browsing through those bookmarks, you’ll see a list of apps where each video is available, drawing on more than 20 streaming sources, such as Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime. Basically, it’s a universal watch list for the things you really care about.  

bulldog_guy said:
I just check here every couple of months and add shows to a list I have in notepad on my phone with start dates.  Before I cut the cable I was relying on commercials to let me know.  Having to check I found a bunch more shows that I even know about and now watch more tv than I did before I cut the cable.  There are always shows on my list I haven't even tried.  

in layman's terms if you will?
2 to 4 times more bandwidth and data transfer rates for devices that support AC.  Most all new devices support AC now.  

ETA: that's probably why you're seeing more and more deals for N routers.

Except it's only 802.11n, not 802.11ac.
For most people, it won't matter.  I have more wireless devices than most people, and the only 2 things that have AC capabilities are my iphone 6 and my newly updated laptop (my wife's iphone 5 and the 2 year old laptop don't have it).  The other 15 or so devices are "wireless N".  AC devices have more bandwidth capability, but we're already talking about N producing up to 150 Mb/s, which is faster than most people's internet connection anyway.  Also, AC actually has lesser range than N, if that's a consideration.

It's like have a Ferrari capable of 200 mph, but on a highway that's strictly enforced to be 60 mph. 

For most people, it won't matter.  I have more wireless devices than most people, and the only 2 things that have AC capabilities are my iphone 6 and my newly updated laptop (my wife's iphone 5 and the 2 year old laptop don't have it).  The other 15 or so devices are "wireless N".  AC devices have more bandwidth capability, but we're already talking about N producing up to 150 Mb/s, which is faster than most people's internet connection anyway.  Also, AC actually has lesser range than N, if that's a consideration.

It's like have a Ferrari capable of 200 mph, but on a highway that's strictly enforced to be 60 mph. 
Maybe for most people today, but, tomorrow the speed limit is going to change.  It already has on two of your devices.  

Maybe for most people today, but, tomorrow the speed limit is going to change.  It already has on two of your devices.  
Right, but AC wouldn't do anything more for me with a internet connection of only 100 MB/s.  That's more than "fast enough" for now, and the router is only $50.  I haven't' see a decent AC router with range for under $100.

ETA - by speed limit, I mean the limit of my connection to the outside world (via Comcast)

Right, but AC wouldn't do anything more for me with a internet connection of only 100 MB/s.  That's more than "fast enough" for now, and the router is only $50.  I haven't' see a decent AC router with range for under $100.

ETA - by speed limit, I mean the limit of my connection to the outside world (via Comcast)
I agree.  I'd have to read more to be sure, but, I think the range you are talking about is only for the 5GHz band.  I think most routers still act like a N router and still have the distance on the 2.4GHz band. 

And I agree that for streaming what is available on the internet today on several devices N is more than sufficient.  I was just pointing out that it's not the latest technology and that's why they are becoming cheaper.  If you're streaming blue-ray from your network it needs more bandwidth than streaming 720p from the internet.  Add to that multiple streams, downloads, gaming and it starts to become important.  I'm also thinking about future proofing; when is 4K going to become more of the standard?  The latest Roku and Firetv are both 4K compatible already. 

I agree.  I'd have to read more to be sure, but, I think the range you are talking about is only for the 5GHz band.  I think most routers still act like a N router and still have the distance on the 2.4GHz band. 

And I agree that for streaming what is available on the internet today on several devices N is more than sufficient.  I was just pointing out that it's not the latest technology and that's why they are becoming cheaper.  If you're streaming blue-ray from your network it needs more bandwidth than streaming 720p from the internet.  Add to that multiple streams, downloads, gaming and it starts to become important.  I'm also thinking about future proofing; when is 4K going to become more of the standard?  The latest Roku and Firetv are both 4K compatible already. 
The best thing you can do to future proof is to run hardwire (cat 5e or cat6) to as many locations as you can.  I'm doing that now in a finished house, and it's a pain - so do it from the start if you can.  Hardwiring the roku 4 or latest fire tv is going to be faster and much more reliable than AC anyway.  That said, I know it's not possible or feasible for many.

I just feel that the best "bang for the buck" right now is a solid and tested high end N based router.  The one above is $50, and should last for years.  Again, it's the one I have and I've streamed multiple things with it at once without issue (but only 2 in the house).  If it gets to a point where it doesn't cut it anymore, I can turn it into a repeater and buy a new AC router for the primary - and they should be much cheaper in a few years.

The best thing you can do to future proof is to run hardwire (cat 5e or cat6) to as many locations as you can.  I'm doing that now in a finished house, and it's a pain - so do it from the start if you can.  Hardwiring the roku 4 or latest fire tv is going to be faster and much more reliable than AC anyway.  That said, I know it's not possible or feasible for many.

I just feel that the best "bang for the buck" right now is a solid and tested high end N based router.  The one above is $50, and should last for years.  Again, it's the one I have and I've streamed multiple things with it at once without issue (but only 2 in the house).  If it gets to a point where it doesn't cut it anymore, I can turn it into a repeater and buy a new AC router for the primary - and they should be much cheaper in a few years.
:goodposting:  I already did that with Gigabit switches, same time I upgraded the router.  

Users who are viewing this thread