What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Pro Wrestling Thread*** (11 Viewers)

Three clean jobs in a row. Roman Reigns is getting HHH post curtain call burial.
However, I think it's also important to note that WWE trusted Roman to make Balor shine on his first night. They could have used Owens in the singles match to give Balor someone he's more comfortable with, but Roman has the big fight feel that nobody else does (outside of the part timers like Lesnar). 

Some of you watch RoH; I wonder what you thought of this weekend's (or if watching on Comet - tomorrow night's) show.

The entire hour was to be dedicated to Kyle O'Reilly vs. Jay Lethal for the RoH title.

But first, Adam Cole and the Young Bucks come out and smash his arm repeatedly with a chair to where he has to be taken off.

The match eventually takes place, and you can tell Lethal doesn't want to do this. McGuinness, his tag partner Bobby Fish, "the doctors" has told KO that he can have the match another time, but he's having none of it. Even Lethal - the heel champion - does not want to wrestle him in his condition. He offers to have the match another time; KO still refuses and wants the bell rung to start the match. During the match, RoH did a good job of building the drama and selling KO's shoulder injury, going so far as to have McGuinness and Kevin Kelly yelling at the referee to stop the match because KO couldn't seem to defend himself. All the while, Lethal is going about the match reluctantly; he's selling that he doesn't want to permanently injury O'Reilly, but he also wants to keep the strap. Finally,

Lethal hits his finisher and pins O'Reilly, followed by Adam Cole and the Young Bucks returning to do more damage.

If you've seen it, what did you think? I thought it was well written and told a great story.

I'm aware this is premature but ten minutes in,  I just don't see how smackdown has the horses to keep up. They need both Samoa Joe and Nakamura when they come up.

I'm aware this is premature but ten minutes in,  I just don't see how smackdown has the horses to keep up. They need both Samoa Joe and Nakamura when they come up.
I think they're going to try and build Crews, Kallisto, Corbin and American Alpha to become serious contenders.  RAW's roster doesn't really have any guys like that*

* I'm under the assumption that Zayn/Enzo & Cass/Owens/Balor and maybe Anderson and Gallows are already over and thus dont' need to be built up anymore. 

That's a solid list. It feels very balanced between smark IWC love and kayfabe fan love. A little heavy on the Lucha, but to each his own.

I would have put Terry Gordy in the Michael Hayes spot, but that's just me. Gordy IMO was the more important than Hayes during their WCCW run, and his time in Japan (with your boy Hansen) is legendary.

I'm glad he ranked Kevin Von Erich on the list. Kerry got all of the headlines, the NWA title run and the WWE run, but Kevin was always the better wrestler, the better talker, had the longer career.

Caught up on the CWC this weekend, and this last episode might have been the best yet. Zack Saber Jr and Drew Gulak both lived up to their billing. Hate that they are in the same bracket.

Caught up on the CWC this weekend, and this last episode might have been the best yet. Zack Saber Jr and Drew Gulak both lived up to their billing. Hate that they are in the same bracket.
Best thing going on in wrestling right now. I was extremely impressed by The Brian Kendrick. He's been the most interesting guy for me, I mean, he was basically looking like his career was over a few years ago, and he wrestled with a desperation, that nobody else in this tournament has shown. I also liked how Daniel Bryan isn't even trying to be unbiased about Kendrick, another thing that makes the CWC seem more like a legit sporting event. That spot where he had the guy bite down on the ropes, and then he kicked the rope, looked horrifying. I'd rather take 50 chair shots than that. 

That was a fun walk down memory lane.

I loved the video clip of the very very young AJ Lee meeting Lita at a signing event. 

I thought the writer did a very good job with a difficult task.   Tag team wrestlers, most notably the Road Warriors, seem to be left out because of the focus on single wrestling and I thought that was a bit harsh considering their affect on the sport.

I would have enjoyed another section where the writer speculates on how people like David Von Erich, Magnum TA, Gino Hernandez and many others that died way too young might have fared had they lived.

I would have enjoyed another section where the writer speculates on how people like David Von Erich, Magnum TA, Gino Hernandez and many others that died way too young might have fared had they lived.
This is a great idea. And those three in particular are the greatest "what ifs" in my opinion, slightly biased as I was a WCCW/NWA fan way before WWE. 

David Von Erich was by far the greatest of the Von Erich sons. Had the size (a basketball star and legit 6'5"), the speed, could cut a promo, and had a true passion for the business. The story goes he was in line for an NWA title run at the time of his death. He most likely would have feuded with Flair for years, most likely a Flair/Dusty/VonErich/Race/Steamboat situation, depending on what part of the country. The NWA Championship Committee trusted David much more than they trusted Kerry.

Gino Hernandez had the greatest heel heat of anyone I ever saw live as a kid. Freebirds/Von Erichs may have been more famous, but the work Hernandez did with Chris Adams against the Von Erichs, then against Adams, got some of the biggest boos I have ever seen. 

Enough has been said about Magnum TA to know he is the greatest "what if". He was the NWA's answer to Hogan. And was on just as many Apter mags as anyone, including Hogan. And 9 year old Bogart just knew that Magnum would destroy Hogan if they ever had a match. (To be fair, I also thought Flair and AWA champ Rick Martel would also beat Hogan's lame leg drop offense.)

That's a solid list. It feels very balanced between smark IWC love and kayfabe fan love. A little heavy on the Lucha, but to each his own.

I would have put Terry Gordy in the Michael Hayes spot, but that's just me. Gordy IMO was the more important than Hayes during their WCCW run, and his time in Japan (with your boy Hansen) is legendary.

I'm glad he ranked Kevin Von Erich on the list. Kerry got all of the headlines, the NWA title run and the WWE run, but Kevin was always the better wrestler, the better talker, had the longer career.
Good call. 

That was a fun walk down memory lane.

I loved the video clip of the very very young AJ Lee meeting Lita at a signing event. 

I thought the writer did a very good job with a difficult task.   Tag team wrestlers, most notably the Road Warriors, seem to be left out because of the focus on single wrestling and I thought that was a bit harsh considering their affect on the sport.

He definitely should have had a side note on tag teams. I also would have liked a little ECW love. Dreamer and Sandman had a huge influence on Pro Wresting, imo. More than The Miz anyway. Spot 101 could have been a nice tip of the hat to ECW. 

Who would you guys nominate for a list of worst* wrestlers in history?

* I don't mean a indie jobber, I mean someone who was in the bigs and got a relatively decent push and just did nothing with it?

First one that comes to mind was the mess called El Gigante/ Giant Gonzalez

* I don't mean a indie jobber, I mean someone who was in the bigs and got a relatively decent push and just did nothing with it?

The Great Khali is the first name that came to mind. Giant Gonzalez is probably the number one draft pick. Nathan Jones might be top five just based on the Undertaker rub he was given. 

EDIT: And PWI disagrees with me, but I always thought Greg Gagne completely sucked when compared to the push he was given.

Last edited by a moderator:
EDIT: And PWI disagrees with me, but I always thought Greg Gagne completely sucked when compared to the push he was given.
It hurts me to write this but when you mention Gagne, I immediately thought of poor Mike Von Erich.  If there was ever a guy not cut out for pro wrestling either physically or mentally it was Mike.  His 3 older brothers were so physically gifted but he was nothing but a shell of a human pushed into a situation that I think helped lead to his suicide.

Probably not in the same league, but I immediately thought of Tugboat, Earthquake, and One-Man Gang.

NewlyRetired said:

Goldberg. 

ETA: Though without Goldberg there would have been no Gilberg, so at least he contributed something. 

NewlyRetired said:

I always thought that the whole Glacier/Wrath/Mortis angle from WCW was pretty bad....and they sunk a lot of money into it.   

Anybody listen to We Watch Wrestling? My favorite wrasslin podcast. Two longtime fans started a cast in June 2013 with a third guy who started watching wrestling at Wrestlemania 29, age 30.

The early issues are all about educating the young guy on the history of the product, about being a fan of wrestling and less so on current analysis. Lately it is a bit more topical but they still reminisce often. They emphasize the indies and Japan about as much as WWE.

I really like it because I knew only marginally more about wrestling history than when Tom started, it is pretty educational (and really fn funny) for me.

I always thought that the whole Glacier/Wrath/Mortis angle from WCW was pretty bad....and they sunk a lot of money into it.   
Glacier was who I was thinking too.  WCW built him up to be the next Sting or Steamboat.  Man, that guy really sucked.  

Also, Zeus.

NewlyRetired said:
It hurts me to write this but when you mention Gagne, I immediately thought of poor Mike Von Erich.  If there was ever a guy not cut out for pro wrestling either physically or mentally it was Mike.  His 3 older brothers were so physically gifted but he was nothing but a shell of a human pushed into a situation that I think helped lead to his suicide.
I was just about to reply that I didn't think he received much push. I remember him beating Skandor Akbar in his first match, being hidden on six-man teams and beating Michael PS Hayes at a high school gym with a small package, but I wouldn't consider that a push.

Then I see he was NWA American Heavyweight Champion, WCCW Middle Eastern Champion and PWI Rookie Of The Year in 1984. That would be a considerable push, one that he did not deserve.

Thought that was another fresh outing for the most part. Golden Truth is beyond words dumb and mark Henry should not be on my TV in 2016 however. 

I was just about to reply that I didn't think he received much push. I remember him beating Skandor Akbar in his first match, being hidden on six-man teams and beating Michael PS Hayes at a high school gym with a small package, but I wouldn't consider that a push.

Then I see he was NWA American Heavyweight Champion, WCCW Middle Eastern Champion and PWI Rookie Of The Year in 1984. That would be a considerable push, one that he did not deserve.
The first match against Skandor almost caused a mutiny in the locker room as no one was willing to job to Mike seeing as it was so foolish to think he could actually beat anyone.  Skandor, being the consummate old school pro, stepped up when no active wrestler would and did the job for Fritz.

Over the next couple of years Fritz had to fire a couple of wrestlers for failing to job to Mike.

The first match against Skandor almost caused a mutiny in the locker room as no one was willing to job to Mike seeing as it was so foolish to think he could actually beat anyone.  Skandor, being the consummate old school, pro stepped up when no active wrestler would and did the job for Fritz.

Over the next couple of years Fritz had to fire a couple of wrestlers for failing to job to Mike.
You and I need to have beers and talk about WCCW sometime. I feel like there are a lot of things you know that I don't, and maybe a few things I can share.

You and I need to have beers and talk about WCCW sometime. I feel like there are a lot of things you know that I don't, and maybe a few things I can share.
You have probably seen this already but just in case you have not, this is a fabulous documetary on WCCW.  It is long at over 2.5 hours but I bet the first 15 minutes will hook you if you enjoyed that period of time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MFRGSgAyztY

The first match against Skandor almost caused a mutiny in the locker room as no one was willing to job to Mike seeing as it was so foolish to think he could actually beat anyone.  Skandor, being the consummate old school pro, stepped up when no active wrestler would and did the job for Fritz.

That reminds me.  Erik Watts (Bill Watts' son) was pretty bad too.

Users who are viewing this thread