What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dion Lewis (2 Viewers)

The bolded makes all the difference IMO. He got dropped in my 12-team PPR league this week, and I'm actually thinking about burning my #1 priority to get him. But that's because I figure in PPR he should at least be a flex or bye week fill-in as the season goes on. And even that is just me being hopeful he gets used in the passing game more.

In standard, I don't see why he can't be dropped if you need the room. From the looks of it you'll never be starting him anyway, depending on your starting roster requirements.
I think you're right. It's a shame, because I do like owning him.

I drafted him to be my RB2 in a 14-team, non-PPR, no flex league. Fortunately I also drafted Michel and later picked up Lindsay. As of right now he's planted firmly on my bench unless there are multiple injuries/bye weeks. I honestly hadn't considered dropping him, but may think of it if this level of production continues

Like others, I have a soft spot for him. Curious: Is it because you also owned him during that magical run in 2015? That's definitely the reason for me. I had him last year, too, and then was forced to drop him during his bye week because I had no other available RB2, which sucked as he continued his second-half breakout.

One reason I'm holding: I think the Titans offense is still rounding into shape, and will get better as the year goes on. I also think that Lewis will outperform Henry.

Yeah, I was onto him early in 2015 and it was cool researching his old game films at Univ. of Pittsburgh. I also had him last year and cashed out a tad too early in a trade for TE help. I just like his juke moves and underdog status...

You might be right about Tennessee (so maybe I'll be able to grab him after the next week or so).

The Ravens dominated and the Titans stunk, almost everyone did.

That said, Lewis ran a dumpoff pass route when he should have picked up a blitzer twice and whiffed two other times. FOUR sacks allowed by the guy that's supposed to be the savvy vet back there.

It probably doesn't mean anything since the Titans don't have many options but under prior regimes that would cause a guy to be benched, lose his role, or get cut. Again, I am not saying he will have any "punishment" of any kind. I don't know this staff, no one does. 

Could be bad, could be nothing

Two former scouts and the Titans had Lewis allowing three sacks. I guess I was wrong on the four but the point's the same. He had a bad bad game. This follows a five game stretch where he averaged 1.8, 2.8, 0.0, 2.9 and 3.0 per carry.

There was a scene where LG Quinton Spain ("never allows sacks" 4.5 in like 40 starts) was seen arguing with Lewis. Spain bumped his man and picked up the LB blitzing, Lewis left the DL unblocked and was nearby waiting for a dump pass. Spain did it perfectly and apparently when a back is thinking of the flow of the play, the spot he ran to shows that he knew exactly who he had to pick up. 

One scout called Lewis' play amateurish last week and said it's like what we'd see from a rookie college back that wasn't involved in the passing game. He used a basketball term when he said Lewis made himself available but expected Mariota to throw through people to get it to him. DL are 6-4 some 6-8, Mariota would have had to leap and throw it over them and ...it was amateurish and that's not why they signed him. 

LaFleur said everything with Dion is an easy fix. He said he's a pro's pro that had already watched the tape and critiqued himself before they even met with the backs. I took this to be a good sign for Lewis. Players have bad games and get benched and all sorts of "punishment" as a result. I took this as he had a bad game but didn't lose our confidence. 

The boxing gloves this week in practice were more for show than anything else but it was a significant show.  Lewis barely had any carries. It was about Henry and the offensive line. Vrabel got on the linemen and the TE playing FB.  I was able to confirm that Kelly went in at TE. Their backup tackle playing blocking TE was a thing under Mularkey and apparently the new staff is going to use this. 

For "third down work" Lewis was in and Henry was barely in BUT when he was, they did put him at receiver which is another thing Mularkey did. 

My guess is Lewis barely runs this week but runs laterally for screens. Henry gets the bulk of the carries. When they get the O rolling again, then they can mix it up and be more creative. Vrabel and LaFleur called this a "back to basics" offensive gameplan this week and ...I gotta figure that's what they'll do

You almost have to keep him.  Tennessee could pull their collective offensive heads out of their asses at any moment and suddenly Lewis is a pretty good play.  Lewis seems to be clearly the lead back...  

We see so many times that things change over the course of the season, and Tennessee could peak later on when Mariota and the O-line gets healthier.  There aren't that many waiver wire players that have the late season upside that Lewis has.

Two former scouts and the Titans had Lewis allowing three sacks. I guess I was wrong on the four but the point's the same. He had a bad bad game. This follows a five game stretch where he averaged 1.8, 2.8, 0.0, 2.9 and 3.0 per carry.

There was a scene where LG Quinton Spain ("never allows sacks" 4.5 in like 40 starts) was seen arguing with Lewis. Spain bumped his man and picked up the LB blitzing, Lewis left the DL unblocked and was nearby waiting for a dump pass. Spain did it perfectly and apparently when a back is thinking of the flow of the play, the spot he ran to shows that he knew exactly who he had to pick up. 

One scout called Lewis' play amateurish last week and said it's like what we'd see from a rookie college back that wasn't involved in the passing game. He used a basketball term when he said Lewis made himself available but expected Mariota to throw through people to get it to him. DL are 6-4 some 6-8, Mariota would have had to leap and throw it over them and ...it was amateurish and that's not why they signed him. 

LaFleur said everything with Dion is an easy fix. He said he's a pro's pro that had already watched the tape and critiqued himself before they even met with the backs. I took this to be a good sign for Lewis. Players have bad games and get benched and all sorts of "punishment" as a result. I took this as he had a bad game but didn't lose our confidence. 

The boxing gloves this week in practice were more for show than anything else but it was a significant show.  Lewis barely had any carries. It was about Henry and the offensive line. Vrabel got on the linemen and the TE playing FB.  I was able to confirm that Kelly went in at TE. Their backup tackle playing blocking TE was a thing under Mularkey and apparently the new staff is going to use this. 

For "third down work" Lewis was in and Henry was barely in BUT when he was, they did put him at receiver which is another thing Mularkey did. 

My guess is Lewis barely runs this week but runs laterally for screens. Henry gets the bulk of the carries. When they get the O rolling again, then they can mix it up and be more creative. Vrabel and LaFleur called this a "back to basics" offensive gameplan this week and ...I gotta figure that's what they'll do
The most amateurish thing going on is the offensive scheme.  Horrible coaching.  This staff is brutal.

But appreciate you sharing insights on Lewis.  Helpful.

I'll echo APK above that this is a nice write up, but I do have to laugh. The offensive show that the Titans put on was the worst I have ever seen. EVERYONE sucked, EVERYONE, to call out 1 player, deserving or not, is insanely laughable.  Henry is the worst running back I have seen in years, and the whole Titans offense should be flogged.   I think the best thing that could happen for Lewis is to feature Henry for a game....

I'll echo APK above that this is a nice write up, but I do have to laugh. The offensive show that the Titans put on was the worst I have ever seen. EVERYONE sucked, EVERYONE, to call out 1 player, deserving or not, is insanely laughable.  Henry is the worst running back I have seen in years, and the whole Titans offense should be flogged.   I think the best thing that could happen for Lewis is to feature Henry for a game....
I appreciate different it this type of statement makes pretty much everything else you say highly dubious.

Worst in years? Seriously? My first thought was entirely sarcastic "I'm sorry you lost your eyesight." or "Welcome to your first season watching the NFL." Unquestionably terrible production this year, along with the rest of the team, but he has been good overall with regular flashes of brilliance over the past two years.

To say what you did is incorrect, follish and hyperbolic.

Last edited by a moderator:
(one game slate) Right now, I'm starting every Charger I can at DK. I have to have one Titan so it's either Succup or me thinking "well if you're down by 20, you won't give Henry the rock so...Lewis."

in FF, I have to start Henry and as long as they're in the game, yeah maybe this will be a decent bye week cover.

Watching the Titans makes me miss the Oilers.  They were fun to watch. This team seems out of sync and out of sorts. In the event that they improve, I still don’t see enough shots downfield in today’s NFL.  It is a slow death.

I think they're a nice combo

Lewis looked vintage today and Henry had his moments including in the passing game. I'd definitely say Lewis had a better game.

It's huge progress for the Titans running game. Now if LaFleur would just not force the issue so much, they could improve even moreso. 

Most of all should be that the offense is so much better when they use play action and they've only done that often in two games this year. This one and the lone time the offense rocked. To use play action, ya gotta get the run game rolling so LaFleur better commit to it. It seems to be the key to everything. 

Henry isn't quite that horrible, but he isn't good at anything other than rumbling forward and getting down hill.  His acceleration looks terrible and he doesn't have good cutting ability or agility.

It's Lewis who is the much better overall back, and is in the role that is actually valuable for fantasy points.

Dion Lewis rushed 19 times for 62 yards and caught all four of his targets for 60 yards and one touchdown in the Titans' 28-14, Week 9 win over the Cowboys.

The 23 touches marked a new season-high, besting his previous mark of 19 from the Titans' last game, a London loss to the Chargers in Week 7. The Titans have slowly been moving more and more toward Lewis as their clear No. 1 back after trying to force Derrick Henry earlier in the season. It's clear Lewis is the best fit for this offense, and he's now totaled 279 yards and a score over his last two outings on 42 touches. He'll be an RB1/2 next week against his former Patriots teammates, especially with the Titans likely to be playing from behind.

Nov 5 - 11:22 PM

I started him as a bye replacement for Mixon last week. Playing him over Ingram this week.

I hope his usage by the Titans remains high through the FF Playoffs. ?

Henry isn't quite that horrible, but he isn't good at anything other than rumbling forward and getting down hill.  His acceleration looks terrible and he doesn't have good cutting ability or agility.

It's Lewis who is the much better overall back, and is in the role that is actually valuable for fantasy points.
Actually that really isn't what his game is all about. Not by a long shot. He plays much smaller than he is between the tackles and is actually much better in the passing game and on the outside. It's his size, and primary utilization in obvious running situations and short yardage that make people think he is a between the tackles plodder.

Lewis is obviously the better back for this offense but Henry is being wildly misutilized as a pure hammer to grind down defenses.

Dion Lewis managed 57 yards on 20 carries and caught 2-of-2 targets for 11 yards in the Titans' Week 10 win over the Patriots.

Lewis was a Week 10 fantasy disappointment in a game where Derrick Henry scored twice, but the 22 touches are still highly promising for Lewis' going-forward outlook. Keep rolling with him as an every-week RB2 when the Titans visit the Colts next. Indianapolis' run defense has collapsed since early in the year, and they also hemorrhage receiving production to running backs.

Nov 11 - 5:33 PM

I understand a dive run here n there up the middle to keep a D honest. I think the Titans do this too much with him. I'm happy the O is finally progressing, and that he is doing well, but I definitely see Lewis running some Henry plays and Henry running some Lewis plays. Let's not ask Henry to be cute or Lewis to be a pile mover. That's all I want

The Titans have credited Lewis with allowing 13 sacks this season.

That's not good when the OL has allowed 16 combined. 

I think that's (as much as anything) where he is losing confidence from the staff and Henry gaining ground.

Still, I don't see much change. It's just what a daunting stat for a guy that's supposed to be a sure thing

Lewis didn't finish a couple runs a week after running backwards a couple times.

He needs to get his mind right during this 10 day break. They need both backs

So glad I dropped D. Lew this week...otherwise I would have contemplated using him (lost Conner). They still seem to misuse his talents in the run game. 

So glad I dropped D. Lew this week...otherwise I would have contemplated using him (lost Conner). They still seem to misuse his talents in the run game. 
I’m about to drop him as well. Maybe there’s some misuse, but I think he’s just not as good as we thought he was outside the Pats system.

those end of game goaline runs looked pretty sad.... almost as bad as fournette looked earlier in the game at the stripe

He should have scored on that screen pass early in the game too. Pretty weak effort. 
I know that the other guy had the angle on him, but I couldn't believe when he slowed down to try to juke him. Ugh. He seemed to choose the wrong running lane every time, too, although I'm sure it seems a lot easier watching on tv. 

With Flu expected to return this week, Vrabel said they will look to use him in the passing game. 

I think this is a knock on Lewis who continues to block poorly. He allowed a sack yesterday and on another he got hit back into Mariota while he threw.

He's really fading as the season wears on. He misses BB yelling about fundamentals or somesuch; there's really no rhyme or reason why he suddenly stinks at picking up the blitz other than technique

With Flu expected to return this week, Vrabel said they will look to use him in the passing game. 

I think this is a knock on Lewis who continues to block poorly. He allowed a sack yesterday and on another he got hit back into Mariota while he threw.

He's really fading as the season wears on. He misses BB yelling about fundamentals or somesuch; there's really no rhyme or reason why he suddenly stinks at picking up the blitz other than technique
I can't imagine starting him at this point.  Would have to be in a real bind.

Running game has to be all Henry at this point.  I'd look long and hard at every waiver wire back if you're at the point of starting Lewis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably going to outright cut him in dynasty to take a flyer on a FA like Tyrell Williams landing somewhere nice.
Ris hard Matthews is probably a good pickup for last spot look to next year. I assume he'll be a Brown because Landry always wants him but...wherever

To followup, Flu isn't ready to return and will sit this week. Injury recovery just didn't work out like they figured.

Titans Plan To Ride RB Derrick Henry From The Start in 2019

Vrabel plans on Henry being a big piece in offensive coordinator Arthur Smith’s offense. “I think that is where the whole plan would like to start,” Vrabel said. “If Derrick can do what he did at the end of the year at the start this year, he’s certainly going to get a lot more opportunities.

“We’re going to have to be able to use Dion and whoever else we have on the roster to complement (Derrick) in different aspects. There’s things that we can do to continue to let Derrick improve and getting the ball to him. He caught it well when we threw it to him, when he had opportunities to catch it on the move and gain some yards. So we know what his skill sets are and we just have to try to combine his efforts with what we are trying to do to get him the ball.”

Also from that article:

Vrabel reminded the Titans also have running back Dion Lewis, and he’s coming off a year when he ran for 517 yards and a score. Lewis was also second on the team in receptions with 59, and he was third on the team with 400 receiving yards. Henry had 15 catches for 99 yards in 2018.

Also from that article:

Vrabel reminded the Titans also have running back Dion Lewis, and he’s coming off a year when he ran for 517 yards and a score. Lewis was also second on the team in receptions with 59, and he was third on the team with 400 receiving yards. Henry had 15 catches for 99 yards in 2018.
Lewis owner?

“We’re going to have to be able to use Dion and whoever else we have on the roster to complement (Derrick) in different aspects"
Yes and not disputing he is going into the season as the complement but complentary RB's who dominant third down work have value and in general just pointing out that the article did not just omit Vrabel offering up Dion's role without being asked.

If the plan is to start this year the way last year ended, here's how things were distributed over the final 4 games of the season . . .

Henry
87 carries, 585 rushing yards, 6.7 ypc, 7 rushing TD with 3 receptions, 21 receiving yards, 0 receiving TD = 90 touches, 606 YFS, 7 total TD

Lewis
20 carries, 53 rushing yards, 2.65 ypc, 0 rushing TD with 14 receptions, 91 receiving yards, 0 receiving TD = 34 touches, 91 YFS, 0 total TD

Maybe they won't stick to that plan. Maybe Lewis gets more touches than expected. Maybe they won't run Henry into the ground. Maybe Henry gets a nagging injury. Maybe this is just coach speak. All those could be a consideration. But if that really IS the plan, Henry could be a work horse and Lewis really would be much more of a complimentary piece.

Users who are viewing this thread