What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation (2 Viewers)

So many people ready to crucify Paterno... tell me, is it more because "he should have known" or because he did not report McQueary's allegations to the police himself? There seems to be some inconsistency in exactly how detailed an account McQueary gave to JoePa. I imagine this will be cleared up once Paterno is on the witness stand. I'm thinking that - regardless of the severity - if a coworker came to me and told me that he saw another colleague of ours commit a crime, I would be somewhat hesitant to call the police and report something I did not witness myself. I think reporting it to an internal investigating body would be appropriate, assuming that I believed they were operating in good faith. Sure, we're all horrified now that the deatils are out there, but what if Paterno had called police to report an untrue allegation that he had no firsthand knowledge of? Would that be responsible? I just don't read his actions as passing the buck. McQueary's inaction is much more sickening, if he in fact witnessed a rape and simply went home to call his dad instead of actively intervening.
When it comes to the sexual assault of a young boy? Yes, you report what you've been told. Let the police do the investigating. If there is nothing to the story, that conclusion will be reached. But if there is something to the story and you did nothing you are enabling a monster to destroy the lives of young boys. On which side do YOU want to err?

Last edited by a moderator:
Penn State officials say Joe Pa will only answer football related questions tomorrow in his news conference -espn

So many people ready to crucify Paterno... tell me, is it more because "he should have known" or because he did not report McQueary's allegations to the police himself? There seems to be some inconsistency in exactly how detailed an account McQueary gave to JoePa. I imagine this will be cleared up once Paterno is on the witness stand. I'm thinking that - regardless of the severity - if a coworker came to me and told me that he saw another colleague of ours commit a crime, I would be somewhat hesitant to call the police and report something I did not witness myself. I think reporting it to an internal investigating body would be appropriate, assuming that I believed they were operating in good faith. Sure, we're all horrified now that the deatils are out there, but what if Paterno had called police to report an untrue allegation that he had no firsthand knowledge of? Would that be responsible? I just don't read his actions as passing the buck. McQueary's inaction is much more sickening, if he in fact witnessed a rape and simply went home to call his dad instead of actively intervening.
When it comes to the sexual assault of a young boy? Yes, you report what you've been told. Let the police do the investigating. If there is nothing to the story, that conclusion will be reached. But if there is something to the story and you did nothing you are enabling a monster to destroy the lives of young boys. On which side do YOU want to err?
He didn't "do nothing." He took what he believed was appropriate action. It's easy to play Monday-morning QB now, and say that he should have called the police. Unless you think that he orchestrated a cover-up, he apparently believed that university officials would investigate and take action as necessary. He is guilty of misplacing his trust in Tim Curley.

He didn't "do nothing." He took what he believed was appropriate action. It's easy to play Monday-morning QB now, and say that he should have called the police. Unless you think that he orchestrated a cover-up, he apparently believed that university officials would investigate and take action as necessary. He is guilty of misplacing his trust in Tim Curley.
Never thought I'd say this with regards to this sort of topic, but I agree 100% with Crosseyed. If JoePa knew about this, reported it to the school officials, then did nothing when they swept it under the rug then he should be brought up on accessory charges as well.Universities don't get to play "we'll police this internally" with pedophiles. Period.

Penn State officials say Joe Pa will only answer football related questions tomorrow in his news conference -espn
Good luck with that.
Exactly. What a joke. How about you don't show up at all and then retire effective immediately.
Wonder if I'm the only one who thinks he'll still be on the sideline next season...
No, there's you and there's Joe Paterno. So exactly two.

Good luck with that.
Exactly. What a joke. How about you don't show up at all and then retire effective immediately.
Wonder if I'm the only one who thinks he'll still be on the sideline next season...
"Afternoon, Joe. Brian Smith, Associated Press. I realize that a couple of people here today want to discuss your longtime friend and defensive coordinator repeatedly anally violating young, defenseless boys. But could you comment on your poor 3rd-down conversion rate against Illinois?"

Good luck with that.
I think there's a better chance he's facing criminal proceedings than of holding a clipboard next year.

Never thought I'd say this with regards to this sort of topic, but I agree 100% with Crosseyed. If JoePa knew about this, reported it to the school officials, then did nothing when they swept it under the rug then he should be brought up on accessory charges as well.Universities don't get to play "we'll police this internally" with pedophiles. Period.
You say "swept it under the rug" like something was occurring that he'd physically be able to see. If he reported the allegation to Curley, and no action was taken against Sandusky, what scenario would he be more likely to believe? That the investigation simply turned up nothing of substance, or that PSU officials were engaging in a massive cover-up to protect a dangerous pedophile? Can you honestly say that you would make that leap of faith if you were in his shoes?

You say "swept it under the rug" like something was occurring that he'd physically be able to see. If he reported the allegation to Curley, and no action was taken against Sandusky, what scenario would he be more likely to believe? That the investigation simply turned up nothing of substance, or that PSU officials were engaging in a massive cover-up to protect a dangerous pedophile? Can you honestly say that you would make that leap of faith if you were in his shoes?
I know if there was discussion that a close personal friend of mine was molesting kids, I'd check back on that investigation to see how it turned out. But hey that's just me.I also severely doubt JoePa never having seen/heard anything on this. Apparently this guy was not very shy about this crap. Sorry but JoePa does not get a pass here. The fact that he was even aware of it (was told firsthand by a graduate assistant coach who witnessed an act in 2002) and didn't insist that police be brought in to investigate is BS. Again, Universities don't get to self-investigate or self-police pedophilia claims. Period.

'David Dodds said:
The crimes are not similar so I hesitate to even bring up this story as I am not trying to make light of the actions of those who saw this...I think that it was despicable that the police were not contacted immediately over this.But it might be pretty standard protocol to bring matters up the chain of command at a University. I say this as I worked at a military installation and can cite this case while I was there:A co-worker and I head out to the back parking lot and we see my friends car door open with a pair of legs hanging out of it. We bum rush the vehicle and catch a military person (working for security) actively stealing the car stereo. We get his name off his badge and report it to our Department Head. He then proceeds to call the Department of Security that we will be filing a police report. The Head of Security says that will get this kid a dishonorable discharge if a police report is filed (that event on a base like the Weapons Station will trigger a court-martial and that was the likely outcome in his view) and pulls the card that security matters on base will be handled by Security without police involvement. My Department Head says no to that crap, but before he can call the police, he is called into the Captain's office who runs the base. Bottom line: No police report was filed. Kid was reprimanded in some fashion, but he remained working for Security for the remaining months of his tour. Again not trying to compare the crimes here at all. But I bet at most universities they are suppose to call superiors in their chain of command before invoking police. I am not saying that is right at all, but it likely is policy.
And this is what I just don't understand: how is it that none of these people contacted the police? Since when is the football coach, the athletic director, or the university president a substitute for the law?

'David Dodds said:
The crimes are not similar so I hesitate to even bring up this story as I am not trying to make light of the actions of those who saw this...I think that it was despicable that the police were not contacted immediately over this.But it might be pretty standard protocol to bring matters up the chain of command at a University. I say this as I worked at a military installation and can cite this case while I was there:A co-worker and I head out to the back parking lot and we see my friends car door open with a pair of legs hanging out of it. We bum rush the vehicle and catch a military person (working for security) actively stealing the car stereo. We get his name off his badge and report it to our Department Head. He then proceeds to call the Department of Security that we will be filing a police report. The Head of Security says that will get this kid a dishonorable discharge if a police report is filed (that event on a base like the Weapons Station will trigger a court-martial and that was the likely outcome in his view) and pulls the card that security matters on base will be handled by Security without police involvement. My Department Head says no to that crap, but before he can call the police, he is called into the Captain's office who runs the base. Bottom line: No police report was filed. Kid was reprimanded in some fashion, but he remained working for Security for the remaining months of his tour. Again not trying to compare the crimes here at all. But I bet at most universities they are suppose to call superiors in their chain of command before invoking police. I am not saying that is right at all, but it likely is policy.
Stealing car stereos is so many worlds away from raping young boys it's hard to even start with this post. And going to the superiors first is okay...it's the never going to the police at all that's the problem.

'David Dodds said:
And this is what I just don't understand: how is it that none of these people contacted the police? Since when is the football coach, the athletic director, or the university president a substitute for the law?
And to clarify- I include JoePa in "none of these people".

'Parrothead said:
not sure how any penn st alumni can goto their home games and cheer on the school with joe pa still there. any alumni care to chime in?
I am going to the game... It is Senior day- the game when all seniors are playing for the last time at Beaver Stadium. Should be a highlight of their college carrers - but some very bad people are stealing this moment from these kids. I will be there to cheer these seniors, and I hope my fellow alum will do the same. F Joe. F the AD. F McQueary. Die Sandusky. This is about the players, and they need us now more than ever.
Wear black. And sing the ### ####ed words:"For the glory of old State, For her founders strong and great,For the future that we wait, Raise the song, raise the song.Sing our love and loyalty, Sing our hopes that bright and freeRest, O mother dear, with thee, All with thee, all with thee.When we stood at childhood's gate, Shapeless in the hands of fate,Thou didst mold us, dear old State, Dear old State, dear old State.May no act of ours bring shame, To one heart that loves thy name.May our lives but swell thy fame, Dear old State, dear old State."

He's where your theory falls apart. If Paterno believed that he told Curley and then Curley investigated and must have turned up nothing - then Paterno knows he has on his staff a coach that is creating the worst kind of lies about a longtime friend and colleague. So what does he do about that? He promotes him.That makes absolutely no sense.

He's where your theory falls apart. If Paterno believed that he told Curley and then Curley investigated and must have turned up nothing - then Paterno knows he has on his staff a coach that is creating the worst kind of lies about a longtime friend and colleague. So what does he do about that? He promotes him.That makes absolutely no sense.
As if the reverse scenario makes any sense either. Paterno had full knowledge that a colleague was terrorizing children yet he looked the other way and helped PSU administration cover it up. Yep, that sounds just like something he'd do.Again, what is really in dispute here is what McQueary actually said to Paterno. I'm withholding judgment until Paterno is under oath.

He could believe mcqueary was mistaken or that the two were just "horsing around" rather than that he was a liar. Still, it's hard to believe based on what we've heard thus far.

When children are being raped. Their is no grey area. It's pretty simple. You don't go to your boss. You pick up a phone and call the police and let them handle it.

If Paterno doesn't step down before end of the season he is a fraud. Easy to be the great guy when you are winning championships and everyone loves you.. Not when the going gets tough.

He should say I'm stepping down because it's good for the university and I should have done more. Worrying about his legacey at this point is shameful.

This is not a hard decision. Someone tells you they witnessed a rape and your first instinct is to talk to your boss? Give me a break. Paterno should have told the McQuearry to call the police right away. The AD's opinion does not matter at that point. It's insane.

'David Dodds said:
Happy Valley

'gonzobill5 said:
'PlasmaDogPlasma said:
'gonzobill5 said:
'Sea Duck said:
'gonzobill5 said:
'Christo said:
'gonzobill5 said:
If JoePa comes out tomorrow and gives a heartfelt apology - says something like "I completely screwed up. He was my friend and I didn't want to believe it was true so I tried to block it out. I was in denial and my actions have had serious consequences and for that I'm truly sorry"....would people accept that? Would they believe it?
No and no.
Can you think of another example of a situation where our society rejected such an apology?
Can you think of another example of such an apology? One that came 48 hours after denying any knowledge or favoritism?
There have been so many public apologies that have come after out and out denials (I did not have sexual relations with that woman!) The reason I asked was because our society seems so quick to forgive and forget.
Cheating on your wife and allowing children to get molested are very different things.
What about killing dogs? Beating your wife? How do those compare?
You're friggin kidding me, right? You must be fishing, because there's absolutely nothing to compare this to. There will be no forgive and forget with this.

Pretty sure you will still be scratching your head and still not understand why PSU will considered a scummy child rapist protecting school and Paterno a vile reprobate boyrape enabler years from now. But keep scratching your head about it and maybe years from now you will understand.

Good luck with that.
"Afternoon, Joe. Brian Smith, Associated Press. I realize that a couple of people here today want to discuss your longtime friend and defensive coordinator repeatedly anally violating young, defenseless boys. But could you comment on your poor 3rd-down conversion rate against Illinois?"
:thumbup:

As if the reverse scenario makes any sense either. Paterno had full knowledge that a colleague was terrorizing children yet he looked the other way and helped PSU administration cover it up. Yep, that sounds just like something he'd do.Again, what is really in dispute here is what McQueary actually said to Paterno. I'm withholding judgment until Paterno is under oath.
It is infinitely more believable than Paterno willfully promoting a guy who he thought wrongly accused his friend of the worst possible act. You're talking about a guy whose life was Penn State. Once Sandusky did what he did, and the public found out about it, there is no coming back from that...the Penn State Paterno knew and loved no longer existed. We're not talking about buying players...you can survive that after enough time passes. Hell, Sandusky could have been a SERIAL KILLER and the legacy of the program would have still existed.BTW, Paterno only "covering this up" could be the best case scenario as far as we know. Who knows what else is out there.

Good luck with that.
:thumbup:
Would be awesome.

'David Dodds said:
This is correct. My FIL is a professor at a university and if you have to report something, you go through the chain of command, and you trust that the matter is handled thoroughly.

'David Dodds said:
This is correct. My FIL is a professor at a university and if you have to report something, you go through the chain of command, and you trust that the matter is handled thoroughly.
You witness someone shooting someone else and you have to call your department head before 911? Complete :bs:

The collective inability of the PSU and PSU football brass to first grasp how grave this scandal, then react with the correct contrition and seriousness (heck react at all except to protect each other) is like Nero fiddling while Rome burns...

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt...

My guess is that the main parties involved have been gripped by overwhelming panic, and intuitively, they know it is irreparably damaging for them, the football program, and now the university. But since they also know this entire thing was avoidable, they can't come to grips with the reality that they brought this all on themselves. So instead of accepting how wrong and how badly they have acted, they continue to tell themselves that this is nothing, it will pass given a few news cycles, once again doing the exact wrong thing that achieves the exact opposite of what they want - which is how we got here in the first place.

I didn't think you could get a massive institution to collectively stick their head in the sand and go "nah nah nah I cant hear you", but here we are. This might be the most damning evidence of all that every bit of criticism is deserved and the entire top section of the organizational chart of PSU has to go. Burn the whole thing down and rebuild because it is all rotten.

'Parrothead said:
not sure how any penn st alumni can goto their home games and cheer on the school with joe pa still there. any alumni care to chime in?
I am going to the game... It is Senior day- the game when all seniors are playing for the last time at Beaver Stadium. Should be a highlight of their college carrers - but some very bad people are stealing this moment from these kids. I will be there to cheer these seniors, and I hope my fellow alum will do the same. F Joe. F the AD. F McQueary. Die Sandusky. This is about the players, and they need us now more than ever.
Wear black. And sing the ### ####ed words:

"For the glory of old State,

For her founders strong and great,

For the future that we wait,

Raise the song, raise the song.

Sing our love and loyalty,

Sing our hopes that bright and free

Rest, O mother dear, with thee,

All with thee, all with thee.

When we stood at childhood's gate,

Shapeless in the hands of fate,

Thou didst mold us, dear old State,

Dear old State, dear old State.

May no act of ours bring shame,

To one heart that loves thy name.

May our lives but swell thy fame,

Dear old State, dear old State."
:( :( :(

Pederast State University
:thumbdown:smear every student & grad
I don't see it that way - Im not sure if this is what AM was getting at, but it is impossible to not associate PSU with pedophilia now. Probably for the rest of our lives, when we hear Joe Paterno's name or Penn State, or see the uniform, we will think of Sandusky and the vile acts committed on University grounds that the University collectively failed to act to stop from happening in the future.I think his post is accurate in the sense that the initial cover-up and now the complete paralysis and inability to react appropriately has tied the identity of the university to this incident deeply and permanently. What do you think of when you hear "Catholic Priest"? PSU has years of work to do to avoid that kind of association now.

'David Dodds said:
You witness someone shooting someone else and you have to call your department head before 911? Complete :bs:
If my FIL was told by someone that they witnessed a staff member touching a child, my FIL has to report it through his chain of command.

I don't see it that way - Im not sure if this is what AM was getting at, but it is impossible to not associate PSU with pedophilia now. Probably for the rest of our lives, when we hear Joe Paterno's name or Penn State, or see the uniform, we will think of Sandusky and the vile acts committed on University grounds that the University collectively failed to act to stop from happening in the future.I think his post is accurate in the sense that the initial cover-up and now the complete paralysis and inability to react appropriately has tied the identity of the university to this incident deeply and permanently. What do you think of when you hear "Catholic Priest"? PSU has years of work to do to avoid that kind of association now.
:goodposting:I don't get the sense that Paterno realizes this. i understand Paterno's reluctance to talk about this at todays press conference, and this year's team deserves better than to see its accomplishments overshadowed by this tragedy. But, if I was advising Paterno I would tell him to make a statement about the situation, express his sorrow/regret for how he handled this, no matter the "legal" requirements, and announce that he is stepping down at the end of the season.Penn State will clean house before next season. It is the only option they have.

Regardless of exactly what he was told after the 2002 incident, that wasn't the first time something like this had happened with Sandusky. There was a 1998 university (and child welfare) investigation of him. If you want to think that Paterno was completely oblivious to his defensive coordinator being under investigation by the school and authorities, you're just burying your head in the sand. Especially when the next season Sandusky "retired" after previously being considered the heir apparent to Paterno.He knew, or at least suspected that Sandusky was bad news in 1998. He thought taking his job would end things. 4 years later he found out that he was horribly wrong and went into coverup mode. Sure, there's lots of people involved, and lots of people who should be out of a job (and maybe in jail) because of this, but Paterno is the biggest name so that's who's being talked about.Personally, I think McQueary is the biggest scum in all this. He sees an anal rape of a 10 year old, reports it to his boss, then quietly takes a promotion as he sees the rapist continue to hold an office in the same building, hold overnight camps for kids around the same age as the boy he raped and bring other young boys onto the field to watch practice. I hope he's happy with the path he took to advance his career.Its despicable. Just thinking about that poor kid getting raped, seeing a stranger who was in a position to help him just walk away... If he thought nobody would help him before, after that incident his soul must have been crushed.

The more you think about it, the more ridiculous this becomes.

If PSU just turns Sandusky over to authorities in 2002, it is a pretty big story (former coach is pedophile) but nothing that damages the university or football program. Just "Dang, you never really know the person working next to you" - didn't ESPN just have a pedophile discovered in their organization a few years back?

And that exact same horrible miscalculating logic that led them to cover this up is STILL operating right now as the rest of the rational world is alternatively horrified by the revelations about Sandusky's behavior, the university's lack of action, and the continuing lack of taking responsibility or showing any human decency by the key figures involved.

There is just no way to make this sound any different than it is. PSU's brass chose to protect a pedophile over protecting the children that become his future victims. When confronted with this, they have decided to run away, confirming the initial lack of human decency and moral fiber that got us here in the first place.

I think a lot of people love a scandal, and they get delight out of smearing others.

:goodposting:I don't get the sense that Paterno realizes this. i understand Paterno's reluctance to talk about this at todays press conference, and this year's team deserves better than to see its accomplishments overshadowed by this tragedy. But, if I was advising Paterno I would tell him to make a statement about the situation, express his sorrow/regret for how he handled this, no matter the "legal" requirements, and announce that he is stepping down at the end of the season.Penn State will clean house before next season. It is the only option they have.
This might sound drastic, but I think that they need to change the name of the university and the design of the football uniforms for starters. Classic re-branding is called for here. It's a shame that the very symbol of the program - the spartan uniform design - would have to be sacrificed, but it is a symbol of exactly what this scandal has and will continue to destroy - at least until the university brass gets a soul transplant.

No offense but your FIL is not Joe Paterno. Joe Paterno is the most powerful man in Happy Valley and he could have easily followed up on the matter and contacted police when he saw that it was being swept under the rug. At the very least he should have demanded this monster be banned from using the athletic facilities on campus, facilities he was using to molest children.Joe Paterno may survive this scandal but I don't know how he can sleep at night knowing that he could have contacted police and put a stop to the molestation of young boys.

'David Dodds said:
If my FIL was told by someone that they witnessed a staff member touching a child, my FIL has to report it through his chain of command.
Complete :bs:

This might sound drastic, but I think that they need to change the name of the university and the design of the football uniforms for starters. Classic re-branding is called for here. It's a shame that the very symbol of the program - the spartan uniform design - would have to be sacrificed, but it is a symbol of exactly what this scandal has and will continue to destroy - at least until the university brass gets a soul transplant.
Changing the name of the university is going too far but I do agree that they need to clean house on the coaching staff and a change in the football uniform to show they have a new identity would be a good idea too.

I don't see any way that Paterno survives this scandal. He should resign today at his press conference. He may have done the right thing in reporting what was told to him, but he absolutely did the wrong thing when he saw that nothing was being done about it. This scandal is going to destroy this university. There is no doubt in my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread