What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation (2 Viewers)

What did you want Paterno to do? State law requires him to report this to his superiors, he did. His only mistake was actually believing the superiors could handle the situation. If his superiors handle it appropriately, none of this happens.
his only mistake?well, letting a child rapist hang around for another 9 years might have been another.
Sandusky was no longer under Paterno's control by 2002, he had emiratus status at Penn State through his retirment package. In order to revoke that, it had to be done by people above Paterno, most likely by the University President.
Stop.
Yes. After Paterno rid the school of all the child rapists he should have gone on to tackle all the underage drinking that goes on at Penn State. Then he could have helped out on all the petty crime and vandalism. Cured cancer. Ended world hunger. Established world peace. What other things do we expect from Paterno?
Let's start with doing what he could to stop children from being forcibly anally raped in the locker room showers. We can play the rest by ear.

What I'm saying is that it appears Joe Paterno wasn't aware of what was happening and wasn't trying to hide it. He went to his superiors and reported it immediately. If the Grand Jury thought he had knowledge and was concealing, he would have been indicted also.
After '02 when an assault was alleged by an existing and continuing football coach in a football building; he permitted the same accusing coach to work a practice while Sandusky attended those same football practices (including closed practices) with young boys without any consequence or follow-up. And that fact alone, which is one of the few nuggets we know for sure, is grounds for dismissal. Not sure why you are bringing up legal culpability; it's irrelevant and has nothing to do with tonight (but look out in the future)...it's about his dismissal tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is the Penn State football program a disgrace?

Sandusky wasn't a part of the program in 2002.

Paterno is getting a very raw deal here.
Sandusky has used the Penn State facilities to sodomize young boys. Paterno has known him for 45 years. He has had access to bring boys their from the abused children charity that he was a part of. Are you dense or stupid?
Or in this country you are innocent until proven guilty he was not indicted and in this country law and order matters not an opinion.And stay away from the attacks on another it makes you really look just as bad.

Jerry raped kids, not Joe he reported it yet the guy who witnessed it yet said nothing still has a job and no one is hating him.

Face it many crave drama and firing Joe was the better story for the media. Even if he did what was required of him by law.
What was required by law is irrelavent. What you (Jopa) done if it was one of your kids? Are you kidding me.
only to the media. and asking what if about my child is a touchy situation. why would i be angry at the guy who reported a report from a second party? i would be angry at the people who had the real power to investigate yet covered it up, not the assumed power everyone thinks joepa had.it dont say in the report that joe was not involved in any wrong doing but because most think he should of done more based of a second party report he is a guilty man not by law but by public opinion. eventho many would not of done what they are asking of joe, not saying its right but its true.

The disdain for Paterno is crazy all over the place. Yeah, he didn't make a phone call but who is the guy that saw the activity? Who is the guy that actually did make a phone call... to his dad? As far as 2002, Paterno was inadvertently involved (as far as we know).

Good, Paterno is out. Move on to the next guy... the one who actually did see it. Let the witch hunt begin for him.
Wow.. Please go read the Grand Jury report before you make more of a fool out of yourself.
:shrug: I'm not going to hang a guy out to dry without hearing from him first. What did he know? How much did he know? When did he know? To my knowledge, neither of those have been clearly answered. Yeah, I'll wait until I hear facts compared to speculation as to "what he knew".
Why does it matter how much he knew? He admits that McQueary told him about sexual activity with a boy. Isn't that enough for you?

The disdain for Paterno is crazy all over the place. Yeah, he didn't make a phone call but who is the guy that saw the activity? Who is the guy that actually did make a phone call... to his dad? As far as 2002, Paterno was inadvertently involved (as far as we know).

Good, Paterno is out. Move on to the next guy... the one who actually did see it. Let the witch hunt begin for him.
Wow.. Please go read the Grand Jury report before you make more of a fool out of yourself.
:shrug: I'm not going to hang a guy out to dry without hearing from him first. What did he know? How much did he know? When did he know? To my knowledge, neither of those have been clearly answered. Yeah, I'll wait until I hear facts compared to speculation as to "what he knew".PEACE
Read the report, those questions have been answered.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/11/07/sandusky_grand_jury_presentment.pdf

Here is a pdf of the indictment. I jsut read it and I disagree with above poster. It seems Tim Curley and Gary Schultz are the people the axe should be falling on. Joe Paterno was notified and immediately reported any information to his superior, the Athletic Director. It was not his position to call the police. This was a he said, she said incident and did warrant further investigation. The AD should have concluded that the police should have been called.

I believe in the United States a person is INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty. Sandusky may be a POS, but I didn't read anything criminal done by Joe Paterno. Correct me if Im wrong.
What about morally?
Paterno had no way of knowing whether the report was truthful or not. It was not his job to investigate. He reported everything he knew to the people who should have investigated the report. A police report should have been filed by the University, not the coach. He is not charged with campus security.From a moral point of view, there were two people involved in this and there was no way for Paterno to know who was telling the truth. Destroying Sandusky's career over what could have been a false report also could have been morally wrong. He did the right thing by reporting it to the people who could investigate the charges.

Why didn't the mother or the child file charges? Why didn't the mother file a police report?
Can you have lower expectations for the living legend who ran that school? Please.
he ran the football program not the politics of the university. in the report it says joe reported it and the others covered it up. what else whas he supose to do, go above his bosses heads to the police based of only one report he heard? that is up to his superiors who covered it up.let me be clear sandusky is a man who should not be on this earth in any way but joe pa is getting a bad deal here regardless of manys self righteous opinion to a what i understand as a very sensitive subject. but lets not paint joe pa the person who reported it as the monster.
Hera ya goWhen your best friend, has YOUR name, listed as a Board Member in a foundation for kids...and that friend has an allegation of child rape brought up against him from a 28 year old GA you also know and have coached.

You don't just report this and wash your hands.

Here is a pdf of the indictment. I jsut read it and I disagree with above poster. It seems Tim Curley and Gary Schultz are the people the axe should be falling on. Joe Paterno was notified and immediately reported any information to his superior, the Athletic Director. It was not his position to call the police. This was a he said, she said incident and did warrant further investigation. The AD should have concluded that the police should have been called.

I believe in the United States a person is INNOCENT until PROVEN guilty. Sandusky may be a POS, but I didn't read anything criminal done by Joe Paterno. Correct me if Im wrong.
What about morally?
Paterno had no way of knowing whether the report was truthful or not. It was not his job to investigate. He reported everything he knew to the people who should have investigated the report. A police report should have been filed by the University, not the coach. He is not charged with campus security.From a moral point of view, there were two people involved in this and there was no way for Paterno to know who was telling the truth. Destroying Sandusky's career over what could have been a false report also could have been morally wrong. He did the right thing by reporting it to the people who could investigate the charges.

Why didn't the mother or the child file charges? Why didn't the mother file a police report?
Can you have lower expectations for the living legend who ran that school? Please.
he ran the football program not the politics of the university. in the report it says joe reported it and the others covered it up. what else whas he supose to do, go above his bosses heads to the police based of only one report he heard? that is up to his superiors who covered it up.let me be clear sandusky is a man who should not be on this earth in any way but joe pa is getting a bad deal here regardless of manys self righteous opinion to a what i understand as a very sensitive subject. but lets not paint joe pa the person who reported it as the monster.
So, he reported it, nothing happened and he just figured everything was taken care of with his friend who brought little boys to Penn state for a decade. Anyone who is defending JOPA now in this situation is wrong in my opinion.I hope for the best for all involved, especially the young boys who are now men and have to deal with what Sandusky did to them.

Let's be real, Paterno could have done a lot more, he was told what was witnessed and did nothing but report to his superior?

Criminal in my opinion. These are children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:shrug: I'm not going to hang a guy out to dry without hearing from him first. What did he know? How much did he know? When did he know? To my knowledge, neither of those have been clearly answered. Yeah, I'll wait until I hear facts compared to speculation as to "what he knew".PEACE
He testified to what he knew. Fondling or something of a sexual nature in the shower. He knew it the day that it happened. Yet the only action he took was to tell Curley and Schultz.Fail.

only to the media. and asking what if about my child is a touchy situation. why would i be angry at the guy who reported a report from a second party? i would be angry at the people who had the real power to investigate yet covered it up, not the assumed power everyone thinks joepa had.

it dont say in the report that joe was not involved in any wrong doing but because most think he should of done more based of a second party report he is a guilty man not by law but by public opinion. eventho many would not of done what they are asking of joe, not saying its right but its true.
You say "most think he should have done more" and that's why he is punished; do you not realize that JOE PATERNO himself admitted today in his retirement statement that he "should have done more"? Paterno used the exact phrase that you attribute to his detractors.

You have lost that argument along with all the others who made a similar argument over the last few days because Joe Paterno himself disagrees with you.

-

What about morally?

Do you honestly believe JoPa was just a mere link in the chain of command at PSU?
After reading the report i do. the bad people the ones who covered it up not reported it. joe pa did what was required of him on a very very touchy situation why would he want to be the one to make a big deal out of a story that he did not know what was true or not. thats up to the people above him he reported to again you may not like it but it is tru i believe.i normally dont post much but as a lawyer who has prosecuted many rapists i still believe when you go up the chain of command in the world of law and order the person who was trying to do right and obeyed the law at the same time should not lose his job based of many knee jerk reactions without all the facts. i put away rapists i dont defend them but i defend people who did what was right by law public opinion cannot sway my judgement when it comes to law and order my apologies. i would love to be the guy trying to put away sandusky though.

morals are in the eye of the beholder its not a set thing therefor laws can not be based of morals, sadly

I like this edit feature as its so hard to type from a iphone

Why does it matter how much he knew? He admits that McQueary told him about sexual activity with a boy. Isn't that enough for you?
where is the outrage for the guy who actually saw what went on? Paterno was told, he didn't see it, he didn't witness it, he wasn't there. Where is the outrage directed at the actual witness of the event?

where is the outrage for the guy who actually saw what went on? Paterno was told, he didn't see it, he didn't witness it, he wasn't there. Where is the outrage directed at the actual witness of the event?
There's plenty of outrage for him in this thread. And deservedly so. He should be the next to be fired.

Paterno makes for a much better scapegoat for the university

What I'm saying is that it appears Joe Paterno wasn't aware of what was happening and wasn't trying to hide it. He went to his superiors and reported it immediately. If the Grand Jury thought he had knowledge and was concealing, he would have been indicted also.
After '02 when an assault was alleged by an existing and continuing football coach in a football building; he permitted the same accusing coach to work a practice while Sandusky attended those same football practices (including closed practices) with young boys without any consequence or follow-up. And that fact alone, which is one of the few nuggets we know for sure, is grounds for dismissal. Not sure why you are bringing up legal culpability; it's irrelevant and has nothing to do with tonight (but look out in the future)...it's about his dismissal tonight.
Because the dismissal might as well be an admission of guilt for Paterno and the President. There is a reason they refused to resign. In my opinion the University is looking for a scapegoat before the chicken comes home to roost at no administrative oversight. Roosting on people like Curly and Schultz, strictly administrative agents of the University, covering up horrible crimes to protect the University's image. Which is how I view what is happening now. It is a shell game. The University is trying to shift the blame on the highest profile they can so it doesn't bring down the institution. Its in "the best interests" of Penn State.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/11/07/sandusky_grand_jury_presentment.pdfHere is a pdf of the indictment. I jsut read it and I disagree with above poster. It seems Tim Curley and Gary Schultz are the people the axe should be falling on. Joe Paterno was notified and immediately reported any information to his superior, the Athletic Director. It was not his position to call the police.
Yes it was. Maybe if you're a regular guy, it's OK to keep quiet when your assistant tells you that he saw someone raping a little boy.But when you are arguably the most respected head coach in the history of college football -- a person who has made his living from being more ethical than ANYONE else -- then you owe it to society (and to that little boy) to do a TEENSY bit more than the bare minimum required by law.Furthermore, if it was truly a "he said she said" situation, what kind of human being would continue to allow BOTH of them to hang around his facilities afterward? If Sandusky is right, then Paterno promoted a liar to assistant coach. If McQueary is right, then Paterno allowed a child molester to roam free in his own building.

Pay attention man. Forty eight pages have been devoted with the sole purpose to crucify Paterno. Five or six pages at a time go by without any mention of Sandusky.

What about morally?

Do you honestly believe JoPa was just a mere link in the chain of command at PSU?
After reading the report i do. the bad people the ones who covered it up not reported it. joe pa did what was required of him on a very very touchy situation why would he want to be the one to make a big deal out of a story that he did not know what was true or not. thats up to the people above him he reported to again you may not like it but it is tru i believe.i normally dont post much but as a lawyer who has prosecuted many rapists i still believe when you go up the chain of command in the world of law and order the person who was trying to do right and obeyed the law at the same time should not lose his job based of many knee jerk reactions without all the facts. i put away rapists i dont defend them but i defend people who did what was right by law public opinion cannot sway my judgement when it comes to law and order my apologies. i would love to be the guy trying to put away sandusky though.

morals are in the eye of the beholder its not a set thing therefor laws can not be based of morals, sadly

Don't you think it's a bit odd that Sandusky was allowed, by JoPa I presume since he runs the team, to stick around? This goes beyond the law. JoPa was aware of what had happened but let Sandusky stick around. Do you believe JoPa is just really dumb?

Rightfully so.He has known about this for a long time in my opinion...probably even before 98He hired, and allowed a lady volleyball coach was was openly homophobic to be on the staff for 27 years, until she "resigned" amid allegations of misconduct and discrimination towards her players. Sorry, your god has faults and has to be treated like a regular person

Because the dismissal might as well be an admission of guilt for Paterno and the President. There is a reason they refused to resign.
Nope, it's not an admission of guilt. There will be plenty of time for that process to run its course later.It's about a failure to do anything when, for example, after '02 when an assault was alleged by an existing and continuing football coach in a football building; he permitted the same accusing coach to work a practice while Sandusky attended those same football practices (including closed practices) with young boys without any consequence or follow-up.

What about morally?

Hera ya goWhen your best friend, has YOUR name, listed as a Board Member in a foundation for kids...and that friend has an allegation of child rape brought up against him from a 28 year old GA you also know and have coached.

You don't just report this and wash your hands.
The foundation was a resource for Sandusky to have access to and abuse kids trying to make it look normal that he was taking them to sporting events at Penn State. We all now know some of what occured. Imagine all the instances thst sick F--- Sandusky was involved in that we don't and will never know occured!

Paterno had no way of knowing whether the report was truthful or not. It was not his job to investigate. He reported everything he knew to the people who should have investigated the report. A police report should have been filed by the University, not the coach.
No. When someone tells you that they witnessed a murder, it is your moral obligation to call the police. Period. I don't give a damn if you have "no way of knowing" whether the report is truthful or not. You call the police and let THEM figure it out.

Rightfully so.He has known about this for a long time in my opinion...probably even before 98He hired, and allowed a lady volleyball coach was was openly homophobic to be on the staff for 27 years, until she "resigned" amid allegations of misconduct and discrimination towards her players. Sorry, your god has faults and has to be treated like a regular person
FAIL - Joe doesn't hire volleyball coaches.

Why didn't the 10-year old file charges? C'mon, man. Or the mother? Predators know who to target. I doubt the mother even knew. That's why many, including Joe Paterno himself, believe he didn't do enough. Kids can't protect themselves from adults.
I thought you read the indictment?The mother was hiding the kid at home. Telling Sandusky he wasn't there when he was. You are saying that she didn't know something was wrong? She told Sandusky to stay away from him. And he was 12. Not that it makes much of a difference, but the indictment states he knew what was happening was wrong. If he didn't tell his mother, why not? And why would she act that way towards Sandusky?I'm not saying what happened isn't horrible. Its repulsive and horrible. What I'm saying is that it appears Joe Paterno wasn't aware of what was happening and wasn't trying to hide it. He went to his superiors and reported it immediately. If the Grand Jury thought he had knowledge and was concealing, he would have been indicted also.
Hairy Snowman, I think you'd better reread the indictment. You're getting victims mixed up. Victim 2, the boy witnessed by the assistant coach, was never identified. You're talking about one of the other victims.

Because the dismissal might as well be an admission of guilt for Paterno and the President. There is a reason they refused to resign. In my opinion the University is looking for a scapegoat before the chicken comes home to roost at no administrative oversight. Roosting on people like Curly and Schultz, strictly administrative agents of the University, covering up horrible crimes to protect the University's image. Which is how I view what is happening now. It is a shell game. The University is trying to shift the blame on the highest profile they can so it doesn't bring down the institution. Its in "the best interests" of Penn State.
Scapegoat is correct. i wish more would see this for what it is and not how the media wants.isnt it funny in this whole mess the rapist is getting the least attention? yet joepa is not a scapegoat?

i still want o be clear since im on the unpopular side here

I IN NO WAY DEFEND THE ACTIONS OF JERRY SANDUSKY HE IS BELOW SCUM.

but a man who tried to do the right thing at the time should not be the big issue here he just causes for the big story in the world of the media.

would it matter to most of you that the media reports 25 percent of the actual information ouy there? i paid big money for that study for one of my cases that involved a media whistle blower she was creating a huge story and reported non of the information that benfited the person who was charged. and eventually exonerated.

Plenty of outrage. But Joe Paterno was God on that campus. He could have done the right thing and he didn't

First of all, it was the women's basketball coach.Second of all, since when is Paterno in charge or hiring/firing other PSU sports coaches?! Thats laughable.

What about morally?

Don't you think it's a bit odd that Sandusky was allowed, by JoPa I presume since he runs the team, to stick around? This goes beyond the law. JoPa was aware of what had happened but let Sandusky stick around. Do you believe JoPa is just really dumb?
Have you seen the dude, ha, i believe he was probably worried about the football team more, sadly. but yes i believe he knew less then what the media believes.

Scapegoat is correct. i wish more would see this for what it is and not how the media wants.isnt it funny in this whole mess the rapist is getting the least attention? yet joepa is not a scapegoat?

but a man who tried to do the right thing at the time should not be the big issue here he just causes for the big story in the world of the media.would it matter to most of you that the media reports 25 percent of the actual information ouy there? i paid big money for that study for one of my cases that involved a media whistle blower she was creating a huge story and reported non of the information that benfited the person who was charged. and eventually exonerated.
You and I differ on our expectations of one of the greatest football coaches of all time.

Plenty of outrage over McQueary in this thread. You just choose not to read it. It's also ironic and hypocritical of you to defend Paterno but not McQueary.

Scapegoat is correct. i wish more would see this for what it is and not how the media wants.

isnt it funny in this whole mess the rapist is getting the least attention? yet joepa is not a scapegoat?

but a man who tried to do the right thing at the time should not be the big issue here he just causes for the big story in the world of the media.

would it matter to most of you that the media reports 25 percent of the actual information ouy there? i paid big money for that study for one of my cases that involved a media whistle blower she was creating a huge story and reported non of the information that benfited the person who was charged. and eventually exonerated.
No Phenix, this is about a failure to do anything when, for example, after '02 when an assault was alleged by an existing and continuing football coach in a football building; he permitted the same accusing coach to work a practice while Sandusky attended those same football practices (including closed practices) with young boys without any consequence or follow-up.

Well, the selfish PSU fan in me wanted to see Paterno be able to finish the year, but the right decision was made in the grand scheme of things. Terrible to see his run end this way, but hell, he could have prevented it multiple times. I didnt want him coaching past this year anyway, but crazy to see him go out like this.

Now all they need to do is fire his son and this football program will hit the ground running! :excited:

You realize the reason he is a "scapegoat" and getting all this attention is because of his inability to take more action and prevent more rapes?"tried to do the right thing"

seriously?

Seriously, if you are even considering calling this a witch hunt or defending Joe(if you have the stomach for it) read the report. I came into this issue skeptical, but after reading the report I have no doubts.

only to the media. and asking what if about my child is a touchy situation. why would i be angry at the guy who reported a report from a second party? i would be angry at the people who had the real power to investigate yet covered it up, not the assumed power everyone thinks joepa had.

it dont say in the report that joe was not involved in any wrong doing but because most think he should of done more based of a second party report he is a guilty man not by law but by public opinion. eventho many would not of done what they are asking of joe, not saying its right but its true.
You say "most think he should have done more" and that's why he is punished; do you not realize that JOE PATERNO himself admitted today in his retirement statement that he "should have done more"? Paterno used the exact phrase that you attribute to his detractors.

You have lost that argument along with all the others who made a similar argument over the last few days because Joe Paterno himself disagrees with you.

-
Phenix, care to reply to this fact?

Users who are viewing this thread