What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation (2 Viewers)

I'm starting to understand how Joe Paterno did the bare minimum in 2002. He just doesn't get any of this. It is apparent in everything he did this week. He has no grasp for any of this. He is sorry he didn't do more because of the uproar today, not because terrible things happened as result because he doesn't get that terrible things happened other than this distraction to his preparation for Saturday. It looks to me that he has so compartmentalized his life and developed such a skewed set of priorities that he just doesn't get anything else. Nothing else gets in. This is very sad in too many ways. It is also pretty damnable!
:goodposting: The guy doesn't seem to grasp this situation.

The student protests are unfathomable. Read the report. The future looks bleak with kids like thisThe University has been embarrassed enough. They are adding to it.
I've been pondering this myself ...Is it because they have no kids?Is it generational? Is it that they've been desentized by the media and don't fathom the seriousness of the situation?
I am sure 90% of the kids out last night just wanted to be part of the group/party. Look how many kids have there cell phones out taking video or pictures when the news van is tipped over. You know a ton of them just wanted to post on Facebook or Twitter. You could probably organize a protest on a college campus with 10 vocal people.I wonder how big of a crowd would have formed if the announcement was made at 6 AM?
It's just not students om campus but people under 30 everywhere. I even woke up this morning and saw my 28 yr old brother posted on FB that PSU make the wrong decision :(

I think this will become a case-study in how not to handle a crisis.Hindsight is 20-20, but the easiest solution for the University would have been to indefinitely suspend Paterno, McQueary, and Spanier on Monday, pending an internal investigation. That would have shown decisive action by the Board, without a rush to judgement, and shown they were beginning to regain control of the University. It would have cooled the lynch mob mentality that began to build steam with each hour of inaction.Under that scenario, when they reached the decision to fire Paterno and Spanier, it would have come across as a more measured response, rather than what feels like caving to public outcry. And, it is always better to show strength, and that you are proactive, rather than re-active, in these situations.
It's tough to immediately convene a 20+ member body, many of whom have other significant duties and responsibilities. Maybe they could have moved a little more quickly but the story did move pretty fast. I don't think they delayed too badly.

-In 1998(if not sooner) Paterno and Penn State admins knew Sandusky was a pedophile.

-They chose to let him retire with dignity, he kept his emeritus status and office on campus, they allowed him(by inaction) to continue his Second Mile program working with troubled young boys, they did nothing to protect children from this monster and helped keep his dirty little secret.

-So in 2002 when McQueary sees Sandusky in the shower and goes to Paterno, what is Paterno suppose to do? If he calls the police then Sandusky is arrested for having sex with a child in Penn State football team showers(a big scandal by itself). Then soon after it would come to light that this has happened before and not only did Paterno and Penn State admins know about it, but they allowed it to happen again.

So please don't tell me Paterno did what he was suppose to do in 2002. In 2002 Joe Paterno and the Penn State admins did nothing because it was in their own self interest to do nothing. If they did what any moral human being would have done they would have been exposed for allowing it to happen in the first place(and second place, and third place, etc).

And yet still, after the 2002 rape they STILL did nothing to stop Sandusky. They knew full well Sandusky was running the Second Mile and even bringing small boys to Penn State bowl games with him. There is no defense for their actions or lack of action. Joe Paterno is a fraud, if you are still hanging onto the old image of JoePa the great you need to go read the Grand Jury report because it is more than clear the he is not the man we thought he was. He was clearly more concerned with his own self interest and the image of Penn State than he was concerned about an old buddy of his raping children.

Last edited by a moderator:
The student protests are unfathomable. Read the report. The future looks bleak with kids like thisThe University has been embarrassed enough. They are adding to it.
I've been pondering this myself ...Is it because they have no kids?Is it generational? Is it that they've been desentized by the media and don't fathom the seriousness of the situation?
I think I understand the kids reaction. I don't agree with it, but I suppose if I put myself in their shoes, I might have done the same thing when I was 20 years old. I think it is a combination of youthful exuberance, us v. the world, and blind devotion to a culture. For these kids, they have probably been indoctrinated into the PSU culture from the time they were sophomores in high school. They have lived, and breathed, the notion that JoePa is God-like. They have been reminded on a daily basis all the good he has done for the college and community - which these kids have aspired to join. I think when you are that close to the situation, and are young, rebellious, and perhaps intoxicated, it is hard to digest just how badly your hero has let you down. It probably feels to them that this was a lynch-mob of the worst kind - outsiders to their community passing judgement on their hero.
This is probably the best summation of it. College kids routinely congregate or "protest" a lot if things which for many is more about "the moment", wanting to be part of a collective consciousness or just not missing out. It's a cultural reflex that is certainly not helped with the inclusion of alcohol. It's still terribly misguided in my opinion and severely embarrassing for alums and the University community as a whole. PSU is a fairly accomplished academic institution. This incident is shifting perception on that.

I think I understand the kids reaction. I don't agree with it, but I suppose if I put myself in their shoes, I might have done the same thing when I was 20 years old. I think it is a combination of youthful exuberance, us v. the world, and blind devotion to a culture. For these kids, they have probably been indoctrinated into the PSU culture from the time they were sophomores in high school. They have lived, and breathed, the notion that JoePa is God-like. They have been reminded on a daily basis all the good he has done for the college and community - which these kids have aspired to join. I think when you are that close to the situation, and are young, rebellious, and perhaps intoxicated, it is hard to digest just how badly your hero has let you down. It probably feels to them that this was a lynch-mob of the worst kind - outsiders to their community passing judgement on their hero.
This is probably the best summation of it. College kids routinely congregate or "protest" a lot if things which for many is more about "the moment", wanting to be part of a collective consciousness or just not missing out. It's a cultural reflex that is certainly not helped with the inclusion of alcohol. It's still terribly misguided in my opinion and severely embarrassing for alums and the University community as a whole. PSU is a fairly accomplished academic institution. This incident is shifting perception on that.
I agree.Kids will have some sort of protest on Saturday, that protest will get smaller when the go to OHIO state, then smaller when they go to Wisconsin.The kids you see at the 1 year anniversary vigil of the Paterno firing, are the ones the FBI need to start a record for and keep dibs on from here on out.

Joe Paterno is a fraud, if you are still hanging onto the old image of JoePa the great you need to go read the Grand Jury report because it is more than clear the he is not the man we thought he was. He was clearly more concerned with his own self interest and the image of Penn State than he was concern about an old buddy of his raping children.
As sad as it is for me to say this, the above is 100% true.

I think the real issue is not whether what Paterno did was "legal," it's that a whole bunch of people knew what happened several times in the past and did nothing to prevent things from happening to other kids again in the future. So it's more a morality call in that once they knew what Sandusky was doing ang they did not make sure it never happened again.

Another issue is that even though Paterno reported "to his superiors," there really was no one higher in stature than Paterno (even if there were by title). In practical reality, the administration was going to go along with whatever he wanted to do. For years, he was the key decisionmaker, so for him to pass the buck or claim ignorance seems rather far-fetched.

I was just listening to some of this on tv, and one of the reporters who first started reporting on this months and months ago when the grand jury was going on suggested that this is the tip of the iceberg. (He did say that very few people listened to him because they thought it was a bogus story that was never going to go anywhere.)

He suggested that there will be more victims coming forward. He also said that with some more digging that it will likely come out that there was a deal between Sandusky and the school that he would retire in exchange for PSU's silence and a coverup of his actions. There apparently are also now rumors and speculation that Sandusky was actually pimping out hook ups with young kids to high volume donors to his foundation.

Bottom line, it's conceivable that a lot worse things went on and that it will come out that a lot of people knew a lot more than they are currently letting on and it got swept under the rug.

The student protests are unfathomable. Read the report. The future looks bleak with kids like this

The University has been embarrassed enough. They are adding to it.
I've been pondering this myself ...Is it because they have no kids?

Is it generational?

Is it that they've been desentized by the media and don't fathom the seriousness of the situation?
I agree.Kids will have some sort of protest on Saturday, that protest will get smaller when the go to OHIO state, then smaller when they go to Wisconsin.

The kids you see at the 1 year anniversary vigil of the Paterno firing, are the ones the FBI need to start a record for and keep dibs on from here on out.
Really hope you aren't serious here...

Paterno is a bully. Always has been.

The Penn St students and fans protesting are despicable. I think they are actually making it worse on Paterno as the rest of the country/world get angrier at him everytime one of these morons try to defend him.

And so the career of the winningest coach in Division I college football ends in utter disgrace. What's next? Drum him out of the College Football Hall of Fame?
who knows, there's no need to figure that out nowthere are hundreds of press people digging through every aspect of this, joe is gonna answer questions at some point, and they are not all going to be easy

I think this is going to get worse, and it remains to be seen how much worse

what about joe's legacy long term, hall of fame, all that stuff, it remains to be seen.

I'm starting to understand how Joe Paterno did the bare minimum in 2002. He just doesn't get any of this. It is apparent in everything he did this week. He has no grasp for any of this. He is sorry he didn't do more because of the uproar today, not because terrible things happened as result because he doesn't get that terrible things happened other than this distraction to his preparation for Saturday. It looks to me that he has so compartmentalized his life and developed such a skewed set of priorities that he just doesn't get anything else. Nothing else gets in. This is very sad in too many ways. It is also pretty damnable!
I agree somewhat, but I have a hard time believing he's clueless. It just seems to me that it'd be awfully unlikely to be able to build an empire by being clueless. A scandal-free empire, no less. You don't have to be smart to build an empire, but you have to be in tune with what's going on within the organization.I suspect it's more likely that Paterno's building of an empire resembles any rise to absolute power. Alot of bad #### happens along the way and you get good at covering it up. Paterno was clearly better at it than most (as evidenced by his zero NCAA investigations). It's hard to imagine building an empire without some level of corruption and it feels like we're getting a glimpse at Paterno's. Lord knows what kind of #### might come out with Sandusky starts talking. I get the feeling he knows where the PSU/Paterno bodies are buried, so to speak.I agree that the goal of building the empire got in the way of everything else. I just have a hard time believing Paterno was clueless about those other things.

As many have said already, this is going to get worse... much worse. I don't know yet what is going to come out but this is sure looking like a tip of the iceberg situation.

As many have said already, this is going to get worse... much worse. I don't know yet what is going to come out but this is sure looking like a tip of the iceberg situation.
Yep, with so many people clearly looking the other way, Sandusky's got to have the goods on Paterno and others.

I agree somewhat, but I have a hard time believing he's clueless. It just seems to me that it'd be awfully unlikely to be able to build an empire by being clueless. A scandal-free empire, no less. You don't have to be smart to build an empire, but you have to be in tune with what's going on within the organization.I suspect it's more likely that Paterno's building of an empire resembles any rise to absolute power. Alot of bad #### happens along the way and you get good at covering it up. Paterno was clearly better at it than most (as evidenced by his zero NCAA investigations). It's hard to imagine building an empire without some level of corruption and it feels like we're getting a glimpse at Paterno's. Lord knows what kind of #### might come out with Sandusky starts talking. I get the feeling he knows where the PSU/Paterno bodies are buried, so to speak.I agree that the goal of building the empire got in the way of everything else. I just have a hard time believing Paterno was clueless about those other things.
I'm not sure he is clueless in that he couldn't grasp any of this, but more in the sense that his focus was such that he didn't bother to try. I don't think he has demonstrated any real ability to cover anything up, just the ability to dismiss the distractions and move on the "more important stuff". Like "Don't bother discussing my fate, I'll resign after the season". Eliminate the distraction and get on with the "important" task of preparing for Saturday.

Haven't kept up with most of the thread, but I heard on the radio this morning that McQueary's father made a statement saying that this whole ordeal has been very hard on his son.

:mellow:

You know what would be very hard on your son, Mr. McQueary? Having a grown man's **** forced up his #######. He failed, his father failed, Paterno failed. Everyone failed. Children were getting raped and none of these monsters did anything to stop it. This story makes me sick, and anyone expressing sympathy or support for any of the characters involved other than the actual rape victims makes me sick, too. I hope this ends in the worst possible way for all of them. /rant

I expect to see more odd behavior out of Paterno like the strange scene outside his house late last night. Joe's only shot at this point of saving any dignity in the eyes of the public is to come off as old, feeble and senile. Then his supporters can say it was not Joe's fault, he is old and didn't understand. Of course I have no idea what their excuse will be for his behavior more than a decade ago and nine years ago, but playing the senile card seems the obvious move for Paterno at this point.

I'm not sure he is clueless in that he couldn't grasp any of this, but more in the sense that his focus was such that he didn't bother to try. I don't think he has demonstrated any real ability to cover anything up, just the ability to dismiss the distractions and move on the "more important stuff". Like "Don't bother discussing my fate, I'll resign after the season". Eliminate the distraction and get on with the "important" task of preparing for Saturday.
Could be. And I'd guess that's probably the least sinister, rational viewpoint on JoePa from what we know. Even that's horrible enough and probably opposes the message he's been preaching to players over the years.

I expect to see more odd behavior out of Paterno like the strange scene outside his house late last night. Joe's only shot at this point of saving any dignity in the eyes of the public is to come off as old, feeble and senile. Then his supporters can say it was not Joe's fault, he is old didn't understand. Of course I have no idea what their excuse will be for his behavior more than a decade ago and nine years ago, but playing the senile card seems the obvious move for Paterno at this point.
His best move is to just disappear. Buy a home in the middle of nowhere Montana and stay away from cameras.

I hope this is wrong because its unthinkable if true:

@TheBigLead: Uh-oh RT @nathanielkraft Mark Madden just said on WEEI that reports coming that Sandusky & Second Mile pimped out young boys to rich donors
Mark Madden wrote on this with pretty good accuracy in April or So.

Heard on Mike and Mike during the drive in that Paterno is already floating the "McQuery didn't really tell me any details of what he saw, that the way he told it to me was Sandusky and the kid were just 'horsing around'" excuse.

What a dbag.

You knew in 1998 JoeFraud. You covered it up then, and then you covered it up again in 2003 because you were more worried about your reputation/legacy/the program than you were about your old buddy abusing kids. You're a disgrace.

Haven't kept up with most of the thread, but I heard on the radio this morning that McQueary's father made a statement saying that this whole ordeal has been very hard on his son.

:mellow:

You know what would be very hard on your son, Mr. McQueary? Having a grown man's **** forced up his #######. He failed, his father failed, Paterno failed. Everyone failed. Children were getting raped and none of these monsters did anything to stop it. This story makes me sick, and anyone expressing sympathy or support for any of the characters involved other than the actual rape victims makes me sick, too. I hope this ends in the worst possible way for all of them. /rant
I knew John McQueary years ago and always thought him a good person. But he needs to be fired along with his son. It saddens me because I always liked them and they didn't ask to be involved in this, but they should have done more and deserve to pay the price for their blind faith in Paterno and disregard for the children that were obviously being victimized.

@TheBigLead: Uh-oh RT @nathanielkraft Mark Madden just said on WEEI that reports coming that Sandusky & Second Mile pimped out young boys to rich donors
This could be the bomb that was mentioned by SportsbyBrooks last night on twitter... This is about to get a whole lot worse. My God.

:X This is probably what SportsByBrooks was tweeting about last night.If these allegations come to light, Sandusky would be wise to ask to be taken into custody now.

You know, I've been wondering about the whole timing of this thing...do you think it was suppressed until JoePa got his record win? Just seems wierd that the day after he gets the win, this whole story blows up... :confused:

If this is true, just put them all in the general prison population and be done with it.

This could be the bomb that was mentioned by SportsbyBrooks last night on twitter... This is about to get a whole lot worse. My God.
:X

'Phenix said:
You are acting like he raped boys, or actually could have put a stop to it himself. i work with detectives everyday, sadly and believe me sadly they are not as fast to act on these cases as many may think so if he went to the police in a town that clearly favored sandusky it might not have worked as well as you think.hey im objective and fair and like to see the bad guy go down more than mant infact i thrive on it. but joe is not the bad guy thats my professional opinion as a d.a., im sorry if i anger some.
He was the head coach and an iconic figure at Penn State. If he wanted him fired, he would've been let go at the snap of his fingers.

Now imagine these kids are black.
I have no idea what race these kids are, but yes if they are minorities this will take another even uglier turn.
Why even go there? It's completely insignificant.
exactly. I have not once considered the race of the kids, and it has no bearing on the allegations.
Ease up guys. It was a joke. Saying "now imagine ________ are black" is the ffa equal to something motivating being done to motivate Tatum Bell in the SP.A minor chuckle here and there isn't a bad thing as long as it's not coming at the expense of the abused kids or lessening the scum's guilt.

'Phenix said:
You are acting like he raped boys, or actually could have put a stop to it himself. i work with detectives everyday, sadly and believe me sadly they are not as fast to act on these cases as many may think so if he went to the police in a town that clearly favored sandusky it might not have worked as well as you think.hey im objective and fair and like to see the bad guy go down more than mant infact i thrive on it. but joe is not the bad guy thats my professional opinion as a d.a., im sorry if i anger some.
You're a District Attorney?
Yes, an ADA for a town in Michigan outside Kalamazoo. Keep in mind Shultz is the man in charge of the campus police so Paterno was reporting to the authorities.Since Shultz is a man of the law, that which is stated clearly in the indictment, is why Joe can not at this point be charged as he technically told his boss, univeristy enforcement authorities.I am not discussing morals because that is up the eye of the beholder, and I'm talking legally.Morally, yikes.

-In 1998(if not sooner) Paterno and Penn State admins knew Sandusky was a pedophile.

-They chose to let him retire with dignity, he kept his emeritus status and office on campus, they allowed him(by inaction) to continue his Second Mile program working with troubled young boys, they did nothing to protect children from this monster and helped keep his dirty little secret.

-So in 2002 when McQueary sees Sandusky in the shower and goes to Paterno, what is Paterno suppose to do? If he calls the police then Sandusky is arrested for having sex with a child in Penn State football team showers(a big scandal by itself). Then soon after it would come to light that this has happened before and not only did Paterno and Penn State admins know about it, but they allowed it to happen again.

So please don't tell me Paterno did what he was suppose to do in 2002. In 2002 Joe Paterno and the Penn State admins did nothing because it was in their own self interest to do nothing. If they did what any moral human being would have done they would have been exposed for allowing it to happen in the first place(and second place, and third place, etc).

And yet still, after the 2002 rape they STILL did nothing to stop Sandusky. They knew full well Sandusky was running the Second Mile and even bringing small boys to Penn State bowl games with him. There is no defense for their actions or lack of action. Joe Paterno is a fraud, if you are still hanging onto the old image of JoePa the great you need to go read the Grand Jury report because it is more than clear the he is not the man we thought he was. He was clearly more concerned with his own self interest and the image of Penn State than he was concerned about an old buddy of his raping children.
:goodposting: I understand some portion of the student body not getting it, but it should be pretty clear to anyone who is even partially removed from that atmosphere. I question the priorities of anyone who believes Joe "deserved" better.

How much media attention is this getting on mainstream outlets?
a significant amount. this is a huge story.
I am a little surprised that this has not been the lead story on espn.com. Seems like it has been buried most of the weekend, and "hidden" with headlines referring to the AD, and not the primary scandal of Sandusky, and how it may relate to Paterno.
It is still somewhat amazing to me how slow this story started to get to the point where it is now. Still surprised that ESPN was so behind a "sports" story like this.Now it is wall-to-wall coverage on the radio, but on Monday it was a two-minute piece within a segment.

It is still somewhat amazing to me how slow this story started to get to the point where it is now. Still surprised that ESPN was so behind a "sports" story like this.Now it is wall-to-wall coverage on the radio, but on Monday it was a two-minute piece within a segment.
I had never heard of Sandusky before he got arrested. I didn't open up this thread for a couple days because I wasn't interested in some guy I had never heard of sexually abusing some kids. I'd imagine that was the media sentiment as well.

'Mario Kart said:
'Dragons said:
if you counted the times Paterno was mentioned in this thread compared to Mc???, Paterno has been mentioned much more than him. The hate for Paterno has been more talked about than the actual witness. Just saying.
Nobody's defending SanduskyNobody's defending McQuearyPeople defending Paterno are generating the debate
:goodposting: Pretty simple really.

Now imagine these kids are black.
I have no idea what race these kids are, but yes if they are minorities this will take another even uglier turn.
Why even go there? It's completely insignificant.
exactly. I have not once considered the race of the kids, and it has no bearing on the allegations.
It should not matter, but the perception of rich white men looking the other way while young minority children are raped would certainly get a lot of play in the press.

I had never heard of Sandusky before he got arrested. I didn't open up this thread for a couple days because I wasn't interested in some guy I had never heard of sexually abusing some kids. I'd imagine that was the media sentiment as well.
Sandusky according to some people invented the zone blitz scheme and is widely credited with making Penn State linebacker U. He was a much accomplished coach and until recently was very highly regarded in coaching circles.

It should not matter, but the perception of rich white men looking the other way while young minority children are raped would certainly get a lot of play in the press.
This is obviously correct. Maybe it shouldn't be this way, but Wadsworth is right that this angle would definitely be brought up and would factor into the media narrative. Not sure why people are jumping on him for pointing out something we all know to be true.

Users who are viewing this thread