What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation (2 Viewers)

Forgot to mention someone that called in to a sports talk show with the clearest rationale so far on this. If Paterno knew what was going on, he needed to go. If he DIDN'T know what was going on as the head of one of the biggest and most prestigious football organizations in the country, he SHOULD have known and he needed to go.

Leeroy Jenkins with some impressive denial here
What am I denying?Jerry Sandusky is a monster. He should not have been released on $100k bail. He should not be allowed to kill himself. He should be forced to face his victims and face the wall in prison repeatedly. The students should be outside of HIS house because HE is who has tarnished PSU and Paterno.Mike McQueary is a coward. He witnessed a child in the most vulnerable position possible. He did nothing. He could have stopped that act. That boy SAW him and he did NOTHING. That boy lost all hope that day that he could ever be saved. He sneaked to his office and picked up the phone, but instead of 911 he calls his DAD!?! Mike McQueary is beyond reprehensible. Tim Curly failed in his job as Athletic Director. He failed that little boy. He failed Penn State. He failed Mike McQueary. He failed Joe Paterno. If anybody was given the full details of 1998 AND the full story of what McQueary saw it was this man. Joe reported SOMEthing to Curly. Regardless of what Joe said to him, McQueary certainly gave the full detailed rendition at their meeting. Curly was legally responsible to report this to the authorities. Curly was morally responsible to report it to the authorities. Curly was responsible for the University to conduct a thorough investigation into the incident to identify that boy and whether there was an overarching issue with the football program and policies. Curly could have saved more children, but HE told the Second Mile that while there was a complaint that the university's non-existent investigation yielded NO WRONG DOING. Sandusky still had a flow of kids because CURLY blatantly lied to Second Mile. This man should be in jail. This man should have been fired, NOT on voluntary leave. His failure to act on several levels and his blatant lies are inexcusable.Joe Paterno failed that boy. He failed Penn State. And he failed himself. When the coward Mike McQueary came to his house, regardless of the details of what McQueary told him, Joe should have sat down and TOGETHER they should have called the police. That's what should have been done the previous night at a minimum and Joe Paterno should have recognized what the RIGHT thing to do was. I do not know what Mike McQueary told Joe. I just know that the grand jury and the DA believe whatever McQueary and Joe testified as to what their conversation contained. I do not know what Joe said he was going to do about the situation. I just know that Joe met with the AD who later interviewed McQueary and did nothing. What Joe knew about 2002, 1998, before, in between, and after is not clear. My defense of Joe Paterno is one regarding a rush to judgment and making assumptions based on little information regarding the program, what he knew and allowed regarding Sandusky, and what he actually (not theoretically) was responsible for. We do not know his relationships with people, what his role administratively has been since 1998, nor what the AD and others share with him. Joe deserves to be highly criticized. Joe should not represent Penn State and Penn State football saturday. But the criticism is so disproportionate to the actions of Sandusky, McQueary, and Curly, in my opinion, that I cannot help but go into lawyer and defense mode. If it comes out that Joe was aware of 1998 and that was why Sandusky was "retired" if it comes out that he knew Sandusky had these tendencies, that Joe knowingly allowed Sandusky to run rampant etc., then Joe deserves to be vilified.The manner and amount of vitriol being spewed towards Paterno and Penn State itself seems rather misplaced and smells of ulterior motives to me based on certain people in this thread. Not everybody.
All good except one little lie you slipped in there: Paterno testified under oath that McQueary told him that he witnessed Sandusky "fondling or doing something of a sexual nature to a young boy".And you wrote that what Joe knew in 2002 was unclear or "if it comes out" that Paterno "knew Sandusky had these tendencies, that Joe knowingly allowed Sandusky to run rampant" then Paterno deserves to be vilified. The above is willful denial of the actual facts by you--you either dont care what Paterno testified to under oath, or you think Paterno is a liar. Paterno testified under oath he was told by an eyewitness--who he must trust because he later promoted him repeatedly--of sexual abuse of a young boy at a PSU facility, he reported it, nothing happened and then Paterno repeatedly saw Sandusky over the years with young boys at PSU events, practices and games.PATERNO TESTIFIED HE KNEW AND THEN HE DID NOTHING ONCE IT BECAME CLEAR NOONE ELSE WAS DOING ANYTHING.
What lie? The tendencies I am referring to are in regard to Joe's knowledge prior to 2002. I am not saying that McQueary didn't tell him about "fondling" or something of a "sexual nature" I am referring to whether McQueary gave full details or not and what fondling/sexual nature actually was described.Question, and this is hypothetical, if Joe reported to the AD whatever McQueary said and the AD said for Joe not to worry about it he would investigate it and do what needed to be done, and then the AD interviewed McQueary did an "investigation" and then told Joe (as he told Second Mile) that no wrong doing occurred, then why should Joe be concerned? I know, you will say that an EYE-WITNESS TOLD HIM, but maybe the AD tells Joe that McQueary didn't see what he thought he saw. Unless it comes out that some order was levied by Joe to sweep this under the rug, the more I think about it, the more Curly needs to rot.Because Curly and Shultz are charged with perjury right now, it is impossible to know what type of investigation (if any) actually occurred. The fact that they told Second Mile that there was no wrong doing really puts them at the forefront IMO.Something stinks in Denmark for sure. I just am not sure what it is just yet.
Are you using this thread as a debate exercise, or is this all sincere for you?
I wouldn't call it an exercise. There just seems to be a lot of hysteria.

There is certainly more here than meets the eye. The who knew what and when and why is yet to come out. The lack of action from the AD, the perjury charges, statement to Second Mile, and Sandusky being allowed to stay on definitely point to SOMETHING more. Vilify Joe for not doing the right thing in 2002 and after that if you really have to, but Joe did at least tell the AD and the grand jury the truth. So if Joe didn't lie to the grand jury, why did the AD? Why did the AD say there was no wrong doing to Second Mile? What does Sandusky have on Curly or Spanier?
do you believe that Joe was not aware of the 1998 investigation? do you think the only indication he ever received that Sandusky might be who he was came from his conversation with McQueary in which few details were shared?if you believe those things, I can see giving him the benefit of the doubt here and believing he didn't really understand the seriousness of the 2002 allegations, but both seem like a stretch.
I'm saying we do not know that at this time. All we have right now is the grand jury report which contains bits and pieces of testimony. We know that the full story isn't out there yet because at least two people are lying (Curly and Schultz). I think it is a very real possibility, and maybe even likely, that Joe knew of something in 1998 and that directly led to his retirement at that time. But I would rather have all the information before making that particular judgment.Again, based on the grand jury report alone, Joe deserves to be fired. It's really the lack of outrage directed towards Sandusky (who was a SERIAL CHILD MOLESTER who had a pattern and plan), Curly and McQueary that is getting to me. Not that people have ignored them, just that they seem to be falling by wayside. And PSU as a whole, the students, alumni, etc. are not at fault here and have also been taking an undue beating. Spanier, the BOT, etc. also need more attention here.
For the record: Sandusky is a vile piece of garbage who deserves to die. Curley, McQueary, Schultz and probably Spanier are all child rape enablers and child rapist protectors and accomplices to child rape and should be in jail. And so is Paterno. Does that make you feel like the outrage is better placed? Now stop trying to defend Paterno--it is sickening.

I am really starting to envision a scenario where the trustees self impose a football death penalty for a year or two. Something like:

It has become obvious to us that the culture associated with the pursuit of a winning football program has grown in this university to the point that it is interfering with the primary goal of this institution and community. At this point we have decided that the proper course of action is to remove college football from the equation to allow the students, alumni and staff the opportunity to refocus themselves on what is truly important and what outside of football has made Penn State a special place of learning and growth for young people for decades. It is our hope that in the future we can reintroduce football to the school when the importance of winning football games can be kept in proper perspective.

If a cover up is proven, will the NCAA shut down the Penn State football program? They've shut down some programs before for violating NCAA rules though.

Disgusting

Jerry Sandusky Rumored to Have Been 'Pimping Out Young Boys to Rich Donors,' Says Mark Madden

by Michael Hurley on Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:12AM http://cdn.nesn.com/img/comments/comments-10.png' alt='a>'> 92 In April, Pittsburgh radio host Mark Madden wrote a story revealing Penn State for much of the cover-up of Jerry Sandusky's alleged child rape that has been exposed in the past week. While it didn't raise many eyebrows back then, six months later it looks to be incredibly accurate.

On Thursday morning, just hours after legendary head coach Joe Paterno and university president Graham Spanier were fired by the school's board of trustees, Madden was asked on The Dennis and Callahan Show what he believes the next piece of news will be.

What he said was twice as shocking as anything that's been released thus far.

"I can give you a rumor and I can give you something I think might happen," Madden told John Dennis and Gerry Callahan. "I hear there's a rumor that there will be a more shocking development from the Second Mile Foundation -- and hold on to your stomachs, boys, this is gross, I will use the only language I can -- that Jerry Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors. That was being investigated by two prominent columnists even as I speak."

After the news spread, Madden later explained via Twitter why he went public with the rumors.

"I normally abhor giving RUMORS credence," Madden wrote. "But whole Sandusky scandal started out as a RUMOR. It gets deeper and more disgusting all the time. One of state's top columnists investigating. That adds credence. I am NOT rumor's original source. [Why does] Sandusky deserve benefit of doubt?"

Madden also spoke more definitively on Dennis and Callahan to the cover-up efforts at the school and beyond that he expects will be made public soon.

"The other thing I think that may eventually become uncovered, and I talked about this in my original article back in April, is that I think they'll find out that Jerry Sandusky was told that he had to retire in exchange for a cover-up," Madden said. "If you look at the timeline, that makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

"My opinion is when Sandusky quit, everybody knew -- not just at Penn State," Madden added. "I think it was a very poorly kept secret about college football in general, and that is why he never coached in college football again and retired at the relatively young age of 55. [That's] young for a coach, certainly."

I am really starting to envision a scenario where the trustees self impose a football death penalty for a year or two. Something like:It has become obvious to us that the culture associated with the pursuit of a winning football program has grown in this university to the point that it is interfering with the primary goal of this institution and community. At this point we have decided that the proper course of action is to remove college football from the equation to allow the students, alumni and staff the opportunity to refocus themselves on what is truly important and what outside of football has made Penn State a special place of learning and growth for young people for decades. It is our hope that in the future we can reintroduce football to the school when the importance of winning football games can be kept in proper perspective.
I can't see it happening. I think they'd be afraid of losing too much alumni money.

Again, based on the grand jury report alone, Joe deserves to be fired. It's really the lack of outrage directed towards Sandusky (who was a SERIAL CHILD MOLESTER who had a pattern and plan), Curly and McQueary that is getting to me. Not that people have ignored them, just that they seem to be falling by wayside. And PSU as a whole, the students, alumni, etc. are not at fault here and have also been taking an undue beating. Spanier, the BOT, etc. also need more attention here.
everybody is outraged against Sandusky. how much can you talk about him when everybody thinks he's an evil monster who should be punished and possibly put to death?Curley looks like the main culprit in the cover up given that he didn't investigate and told other people that there was basically nothing to see here. Nobody has even considered defending him so what is there to talk about?McQ is taking tons of heat in this thread for not intervening, for calling his dad and not the police, and for sticking around for 9 years while basically working alongside a child rapist who shared the facilities and continued to bring young boys around. Not many people defending him.JoePa is being defended by a lot of people, here or elsewhere though. That's what becomes the focus of the discussion when you have people on two sides arguing with each other. He's not the main bad guy here. He's just the guy in the middle who did a little but not enough. Trying to figure out how much he knew, what he should have done differently, etc. is where most people differ right now.

I am really starting to envision a scenario where the trustees self impose a football death penalty for a year or two. Something like:It has become obvious to us that the culture associated with the pursuit of a winning football program has grown in this university to the point that it is interfering with the primary goal of this institution and community. At this point we have decided that the proper course of action is to remove college football from the equation to allow the students, alumni and staff the opportunity to refocus themselves on what is truly important and what outside of football has made Penn State a special place of learning and growth for young people for decades. It is our hope that in the future we can reintroduce football to the school when the importance of winning football games can be kept in proper perspective.
This will never happen.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$Will never happen.

If a cover up is proven, will the NCAA shut down the Penn State football program? They've shut down some programs before for violating NCAA rules though.
I was wondering what the potential repercussions against PSU could be. This is way worse than a few players getting some tattoos.But it's not like any of the players on the current team had anything to do with events when they were in elementary school. Not sure how you penalize the current crop of players. I would guess that PSU could lose millions of dollars of government educational funding.By the time this all plays out and is investigated, reported, and decided there will likely be yet another generation of players that went through the system.Maybe ship Penn State over to the Big East. They are dying to get some new teams.

You lied when you said it was unclear what Paterno was told by McQueary. That is a lie because while we dont have the exact testimony and obviously werent there, you willfully ignore what Paterno testified to under oath, which is far more than enough to dam him as a child rapist protector and child rape enabler. What is unclear to you about "fondling or something of a sexual nature"? Do you need Paterno hearing detailed descriptions of penetration or graphic drawings done by McQueary for Paterno before Paterno knows what he is being told? Frankly, I think you are just trolling here because your points are so deceptive and dumb.Answer to your stupid question: Paterno should have done more. If Curley told him they investigated and McQueary had lied, why did Paterno keep promoting him? If Curley told Paterno they investigated and found no wrongdoing, Paterno asks McQueary if he lied and when McQueary says no, Paterno calls the cops. All of your incredible silly contortions to protect Paterno avoid the simple fact that he was told, he knew, he reported, nothing was done, he saw Sandusky partying with little boys repeatedly AND HE DID NOTHING.You can keep defending child rape enablers but please dont expect all of us to accept it.
I don't think Leeroy is trolling, but I do think you are being incredibly rude and disrespectful to him.
Sorry, I will be kinder to those who deceptively try to explain why child rape enabling is ok.
leeroy is having a hard time accepting that paterno turned a blind eye. he is wondering if perhaps paterno was told that it was investigated throroughly, and that nothing of a sexual nature really happened. leeroy is in no way implying or trying to deceptively explain why child rape enabling is ok, but you already know that.

...that Jerry Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors. That was being investigated by two prominent columnists even as I speak."
Are there allegations that ANYONE involved with Second Mile (besides the obvious Sandusky) was aware or enabling this?

Sadly, I'm more convinced than ever that this story is going to get much worse before it gets any better.

Again, there's no reason for Curley/Spanier/Paterno to let Sandusky stay on campus unless there's more to this story. If they want to cover up, fine, but you kick him off campus. You don't let him go to bowl games. He becomes persona non grata.

Sandusky must have had some serious leverage over the program to be allowed to stay on.

Disgusting

Jerry Sandusky Rumored to Have Been 'Pimping Out Young Boys to Rich Donors,' Says Mark Madden

by Michael Hurley on Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:12AM http://cdn.nesn.com/img/comments/comments-10.png' alt='a>'> 92 In April, Pittsburgh radio host Mark Madden wrote a story revealing Penn State for much of the cover-up of Jerry Sandusky's alleged child rape that has been exposed in the past week. While it didn't raise many eyebrows back then, six months later it looks to be incredibly accurate.

On Thursday morning, just hours after legendary head coach Joe Paterno and university president Graham Spanier were fired by the school's board of trustees, Madden was asked on The Dennis and Callahan Show what he believes the next piece of news will be.

What he said was twice as shocking as anything that's been released thus far.

"I can give you a rumor and I can give you something I think might happen," Madden told John Dennis and Gerry Callahan. "I hear there's a rumor that there will be a more shocking development from the Second Mile Foundation -- and hold on to your stomachs, boys, this is gross, I will use the only language I can -- that Jerry Sandusky and Second Mile were pimping out young boys to rich donors. That was being investigated by two prominent columnists even as I speak."

After the news spread, Madden later explained via Twitter why he went public with the rumors.

"I normally abhor giving RUMORS credence," Madden wrote. "But whole Sandusky scandal started out as a RUMOR. It gets deeper and more disgusting all the time. One of state's top columnists investigating. That adds credence. I am NOT rumor's original source. [Why does] Sandusky deserve benefit of doubt?"

Madden also spoke more definitively on Dennis and Callahan to the cover-up efforts at the school and beyond that he expects will be made public soon.

"The other thing I think that may eventually become uncovered, and I talked about this in my original article back in April, is that I think they'll find out that Jerry Sandusky was told that he had to retire in exchange for a cover-up," Madden said. "If you look at the timeline, that makes perfect sense, doesn't it?

"My opinion is when Sandusky quit, everybody knew -- not just at Penn State," Madden added. "I think it was a very poorly kept secret about college football in general, and that is why he never coached in college football again and retired at the relatively young age of 55. [That's] young for a coach, certainly."
I guess I've just been assuming the bolded part. Is it even under serious dispute?

You lied when you said it was unclear what Paterno was told by McQueary. That is a lie because while we dont have the exact testimony and obviously werent there, you willfully ignore what Paterno testified to under oath, which is far more than enough to dam him as a child rapist protector and child rape enabler. What is unclear to you about "fondling or something of a sexual nature"? Do you need Paterno hearing detailed descriptions of penetration or graphic drawings done by McQueary for Paterno before Paterno knows what he is being told? Frankly, I think you are just trolling here because your points are so deceptive and dumb.Answer to your stupid question: Paterno should have done more. If Curley told him they investigated and McQueary had lied, why did Paterno keep promoting him? If Curley told Paterno they investigated and found no wrongdoing, Paterno asks McQueary if he lied and when McQueary says no, Paterno calls the cops. All of your incredible silly contortions to protect Paterno avoid the simple fact that he was told, he knew, he reported, nothing was done, he saw Sandusky partying with little boys repeatedly AND HE DID NOTHING.You can keep defending child rape enablers but please dont expect all of us to accept it.
I don't think Leeroy is trolling, but I do think you are being incredibly rude and disrespectful to him.
Sorry, I will be kinder to those who deceptively try to explain why child rape enabling is ok.
leeroy is having a hard time accepting that paterno turned a blind eye. he is wondering if perhaps paterno was told that it was investigated throroughly, and that nothing of a sexual nature really happened. leeroy is in no way implying or trying to deceptively explain why child rape enabling is ok, but you already know that.
I disagree. Leeroy is willfully ignoring the facts and deceptively twisting them to argue that Paterno is not a child rape enabler when that is exactly what he is based on his own testimony to the grand jury and later inaction. He keeps saying we dont know who said what to who, when Paterno himself testified he was told about the sexual abuse. That is deceptive.

There is certainly more here than meets the eye. The who knew what and when and why is yet to come out. The lack of action from the AD, the perjury charges, statement to Second Mile, and Sandusky being allowed to stay on definitely point to SOMETHING more. Vilify Joe for not doing the right thing in 2002 and after that if you really have to, but Joe did at least tell the AD and the grand jury the truth. So if Joe didn't lie to the grand jury, why did the AD? Why did the AD say there was no wrong doing to Second Mile? What does Sandusky have on Curly or Spanier?
do you believe that Joe was not aware of the 1998 investigation? do you think the only indication he ever received that Sandusky might be who he was came from his conversation with McQueary in which few details were shared?if you believe those things, I can see giving him the benefit of the doubt here and believing he didn't really understand the seriousness of the 2002 allegations, but both seem like a stretch.
I'm saying we do not know that at this time. All we have right now is the grand jury report which contains bits and pieces of testimony. We know that the full story isn't out there yet because at least two people are lying (Curly and Schultz). I think it is a very real possibility, and maybe even likely, that Joe knew of something in 1998 and that directly led to his retirement at that time. But I would rather have all the information before making that particular judgment.Again, based on the grand jury report alone, Joe deserves to be fired. It's really the lack of outrage directed towards Sandusky (who was a SERIAL CHILD MOLESTER who had a pattern and plan), Curly and McQueary that is getting to me. Not that people have ignored them, just that they seem to be falling by wayside. And PSU as a whole, the students, alumni, etc. are not at fault here and have also been taking an undue beating. Spanier, the BOT, etc. also need more attention here.
For the record: Sandusky is a vile piece of garbage who deserves to die. Curley, McQueary, Schultz and probably Spanier are all child rape enablers and child rapist protectors and accomplices to child rape and should be in jail. And so is Paterno. Does that make you feel like the outrage is better placed? Now stop trying to defend Paterno--it is sickening.
None of the people you listed are posting in this thread, so taking out your anger at them on posters is misplaced and silly. This thread and this board would be a better place if you toned it down. I can only speak for myself of course, but I would bet that a lot of other people here agree with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
This will never happen.
If the BoT determines that there is more to lose by continuing the program than to gain, it will. We're not there yet.

For me, the more interesting question is what else may have been covered up during Paterno's tenure at Penn State.It's absolutely conjecture on my part, but IF horrific acts by a coach could be covered up for parts of two decades, then what else may have been successfully hidden from the public.Please don't think I'm rooting for this to happen. It's just something I think is in the natural progression of thought on this matter. For those not geographically familiar with Penn State, it's a small college town with a media presence far smaller than many major college football programs. In other words, it's not located in settings similar to Miami or Southern Cal.Again, pure conjecture, but food for thought.

For those saying Joe Pa is Penn State...yes to the students & fans but to that board, they wanted him gone for the past 20 years and made efforts to do so. Now those same people are tossing him to the wolves and hiding behind the unwarranted attention he is recieving.
You're joking right? Unwarranted attention? Dude, Paterno enabled the entire situation. He turned a blind eye and allowed it to go on right under his nose. I'd go as far as to say that Paterno has perjured himself by leaving out vital information when he supposedly told a higher authority. Paterno should be arrested and I really think the hammer will come down on him as well shortly. His morals are completely shattered as he protected his friend, instead of innocent kids. Paterno's legacy is now in the gutter and it's written in stone. The Big 10 championship trophy, currently named the Stagg-Paterno Championship Trophy, will have to be renamed. What a disgrace he is.

Sadly, I'm more convinced than ever that this story is going to get much worse before it gets any better.

Again, there's no reason for Curley/Spanier/Paterno to let Sandusky stay on campus unless there's more to this story. If they want to cover up, fine, but you kick him off campus. You don't let him go to bowl games. He becomes persona non grata.

Sandusky must have had some serious leverage over the program to be allowed to stay on.
agreed.. and the leverage could be he brought in donors with deep pockets and a fetish for boys.. :hot: :(

Ok, just making sure you were aware the grand jury report is not the end all be all of the judicial process. You may carry on with the pitchforks and torches.
I don't give a damn about the judicial process. This isn't a legal issue to me, it's a moral issue. You protect children, you don't look the other way.

People like you disgust me.
Wow.
Feel free to report me. I'm sick and tired of hearing people defend the actions of any of these cowards. Animals and cowards.
Not everyone is going to feel the same as youand some may feel that way later but may be having trouble coming to grips with it

you have to understand how hard this is on everyone who is a fan, and try to stay calm.
Sorry, this is not an issue about which I can stay calm. It's not even an issue about which I want to be able to stay calm. Anyone with a soul should be outraged and disgusted by all of this and should want everyone who looked the other way to pay a price for their inaction.Children were raped. Young boys who probably had no father in their lives and only wanted a man who would spend time with them...to pay attention to them...to validate them. And this monster Sandusky, in a cold, calculated, disgusting manner proceeded to trick them into thinking that he was that guy and then he used them and abused them and stole from them something that they can never get back.

And what did McQueary, Paterno, Curley, Schultz, etc do? Nothing. They looked the other way and put the reputation of their precious football program above the lives of these children.

Selfish. Gutless. Cowards.
:goodposting:

None of the people you listed are posting in this thread, so taking out your anger at them on posters is misplaced and silly. This thread and this board would be a better place if you toned it down. I can only speak for myself of course, but I would bet that a lot of other people here agree with me.
I can only take out my anger at defenders of child rape enablers where they defend the child rape enablers. And that is in this thread. Sorry.

I was wondering what the potential repercussions against PSU could be. This is way worse than a few players getting some tattoos.But it's not like any of the players on the current team had anything to do with events when they were in elementary school. Not sure how you penalize the current crop of players. I would guess that PSU could lose millions of dollars of government educational funding.By the time this all plays out and is investigated, reported, and decided there will likely be yet another generation of players that went through the system.Maybe ship Penn State over to the Big East. They are dying to get some new teams.
I don't know about the government funding, but there are almost certainly tens of millions of dollars that will be handed to victims after civil cases. It could conceivably reach hundreds of millions of dollars if victims continue to come forward. I have no idea how much a settlement would be for just one victim in a case like this.

Sadly, I'm more convinced than ever that this story is going to get much worse before it gets any better.Again, there's no reason for Curley/Spanier/Paterno to let Sandusky stay on campus unless there's more to this story. If they want to cover up, fine, but you kick him off campus. You don't let him go to bowl games. He becomes persona non grata. Sandusky must have had some serious leverage over the program to be allowed to stay on.
this is very possible and scary because Sandusky could unleash whatever that is (assuming it exists) when everyone starts telling exactly what they knew about himIt's like this is the Hindenburg and we've just seen the first outbreak of flames, but the whole thing could go up at any time.

agreed.. and the leverage could be he brought in donors with deep pockets and a fetish for boys.. :hot: :(
AND that a lot of people actually knew what was going on.

I was thinking the Big 10 might drop them too. Depending on how it plays out, negative sentiment towards Penn State over this might prompt the conference and maybe the NCAA to make a business decision. Perhaps to show that a football program isn't more valuable than children's lives. The irony, is the NCAA probably wouldn't shut them down unless they felt the loss of Penn State would be less costly than the loss of fan base.

:goodposting:

But what leverage is serious enough to cover for child rape? It seems you're not believing the simple "They just wanted to save the reputation of Penn State and Penn State football" reasoning? I don't think recruiting violations are really any more serious than that, mainly because recruiting violations would mostly just be a shot to their reputation. OK, so there's also some financial implications, but none of that is even remotely more serious than covering child rape.So, if we don't buy that "reputation" is necessarily a believable reason to cover this up, the theory has to be something much, much, much bigger and would have to involve those involved in the cover up.

AND that a lot of people actually knew what was going on.
reminds me of the Hostel movies- only for peds not killers.. :unsure: This is ripping me up thinking about this.. :(

I can only take out my anger at defenders of child rape enablers where they defend the child rape enablers. And that is in this thread. Sorry.
Although it seems from your post that you don't really know what the word "enabler" means, I don't really know enough about all of the facts of the case to call you out there, so I wont.I do, however, know enough from the facts of this thread to know that you clearly don't know what the word "defender" means.

I don't know about the government funding, but there are almost certainly tens of millions of dollars that will be handed to victims after civil cases. It could conceivably reach hundreds of millions of dollars if victims continue to come forward. I have no idea how much a settlement would be for just one victim in a case like this.
Apparetnly most schools accept funding from the federal Department of Education, and those school have to agree to certain terms and conditions. One of those is reporting known criminal activity to federal authories and also reporting on incidents involving children at risk. The DOE has announced it will be conducting its own investigation as to what was known and what was reported, and if found to be non-compliant PSU runs the risk of losing millions of dollars.

Speaking on the radio, former PA Governor Ed Rendell doesn't believe McQueary can be protected by any whistle blower laws. Though I have no idea of his expertise on this issue. FWIW.

That's not what I am doing at all.

Sandusky is the lowest form of scum on earth. He will get what he deserves in prison.McQueary is a coward. He should be fired and if they can find something to charge him with, brought up on charges. At the absolute minimum, he should never hold a position where he is responsible for the safety of children for the rest of his life.Curly and the other admin guy are despicable human beings. I think they're only facing 7 years for their charges? They deserve more.Maybe the "disproportionate" vitriol on Paterno is that there are people defending him. No one is defending the rest. There's not a lot to discuss after the above statements are made.

This will never happen.
If the BoT determines that there is more to lose by continuing the program than to gain, it will. We're not there yet.
I get what you're saying and that it COULD happen...but I'm saying it won't. Students would destroy that campus, which is wrong, but it's what would happen. There's a reason PSU has a 100,000+ capacity stadium and it's always full. Football is such a part of Penn State, and while that is part of the problem that caused this in the first place, it's also a big part of why Penn State is what it is today. To each their own opinion, but I'd be flat out shocked if this happened...of course I'm shocked at this too...so...

Apparetnly most schools accept funding from the federal Department of Education, and those school have to agree to certain terms and conditions. One of those is reporting known criminal activity to federal authories and also reporting on incidents involving children at risk. The DOE has announced it will be conducting its own investigation as to what was known and what was reported, and if found to be non-compliant PSU runs the risk of losing millions of dollars.
Something called the Clery Rule or Act or something like that.

Speaking on the radio, former PA Governor Ed Rendell doesn't believe McQueary can be protected by any whistle blower laws. Though I have no idea of his expertise on this issue. FWIW.
Like I said, whistle blower laws protect whistle blowing. They don't protect all of a whistle blower's actions. These guys have performance plans and performance standards just like most of us do in our jobs. It wouldn't surprise me if there's language in them about "providing a safe work environment" or something like that. That's fairly typical of anyone in a leadership/management role.

Although it seems from your post that you don't really know what the word "enabler" means, I don't really know enough about all of the facts of the case to call you out there, so I wont.I do, however, know enough from the facts of this thread to know that you clearly don't know what the word "defender" means.
Maybe some definitions would help:Enabler: to make possible or easy (see Joe Paterno).Defender: to maintain by argument, evidence; to support (an argument, theory) in the face of criticism (see Leeroy Jenkins)

For those saying Joe Pa is Penn State...yes to the students & fans but to that board, they wanted him gone for the past 20 years and made efforts to do so. Now those same people are tossing him to the wolves and hiding behind the unwarranted attention he is recieving.
You're joking right? Unwarranted attention? Dude, Paterno enabled the entire situation. He turned a blind eye and allowed it to go on right under his nose. I'd go as far as to say that Paterno has perjured himself by leaving out vital information when he supposedly told a higher authority. Paterno should be arrested and I really think the hammer will come down on him as well shortly. His morals are completely shattered as he protected his friend, instead of innocent kids. Paterno's legacy is now in the gutter and it's written in stone. The Big 10 championship trophy, currently named the Stagg-Paterno Championship Trophy, will have to be renamed. What a disgrace he is.
If it turns out that Sandusky's retirement was due to the 1998 incident, then Joe has no excuse for not doing more on the 2002 incident.

But what leverage is serious enough to cover for child rape? It seems you're not believing the simple "They just wanted to save the reputation of Penn State and Penn State football" reasoning? I don't think recruiting violations are really any more serious than that, mainly because recruiting violations would mostly just be a shot to their reputation. OK, so there's also some financial implications, but none of that is even remotely more serious than covering child rape.So, if we don't buy that "reputation" is necessarily a believable reason to cover this up, the theory has to be something much, much, much bigger and would have to involve those involved in the cover up.
I think there's a big difference between a cover up and this.Cover up means exactly what you're saying BUT the administration is disgusted by this. They kick him out. They have leverage over him, obviously. They say do all of the following or we go straight to the police. Instead, he:-- was given access to the facilities-- was flown to bowl games-- given emeritus status-- allowed to bring children with him to all of the above-- given official e-mail addresses, offices, etc.There's no reason a "cover up" has to involve all of those things. The first step in a good cover up is covering all of your tracks. That means kicking Sandusky out.I find it hard to believe the conversation didn't at one point turn to:Jerry, we are thinking about going to the cops. But this looks bad, so instead, we're just going to evict you from Penn State.Jerry then says, "go F yourself, I've got THIS. If you want to go to the cops, I go with this. I'm not leaving Penn State."Saving the reputation of Penn State and Penn State football is fine, but if they are going to do that, they evict him. The fact that they didn't is telling.

That's not what I am doing at all.
Sure it is. You keep claiming we dont know what Paterno knew or was told in 2002 when he has testified under oath about what he was told and we know. You are trying to muddy the waters and essentially arguing that maybe Joe didnt know enough to do the right thing, or that he might have been told there was no wrongdoing by the AD so his inaction is excusable. That is vile bull. Paterno knew what happened, we know because he testified to it under oath, and he did nothing regardless of what he was told by Curley or Schultz or anyone else.

I think there's a big difference between a cover up and this.Cover up means exactly what you're saying BUT the administration is disgusted by this. They kick him out. They have leverage over him, obviously. They say do all of the following or we go straight to the police. Instead, he:-- was given access to the facilities-- was flown to bowl games-- given emeritus status-- allowed to bring children with him to all of the above-- given official e-mail addresses, offices, etc.There's no reason a "cover up" has to involve all of those things. The first step in a good cover up is covering all of your tracks. That means kicking Sandusky out.I find it hard to believe the conversation didn't at one point turn to:Jerry, we are thinking about going to the cops. But this looks bad, so instead, we're just going to evict you from Penn State.Jerry then says, "go F yourself, I've got THIS. If you want to go to the cops, I go with this. I'm not leaving Penn State."Saving the reputation of Penn State and Penn State football is fine, but if they are going to do that, they evict him. The fact that they didn't is telling.
:goodposting: Yep. There has to be at least one more piece to this puzzle.

Users who are viewing this thread