What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Death of football? (1 Viewer)

The commercials have gotten a bit out of hand, but the stoppage in between plays IMO contributes to the mounting tension of football. It's the same reason why the last 2 minutes in basketball is usually the most exciting.

If anything kills my interest in football it is the lack of flow. With replays and commercials, we spend more time waiting then watching. In the span of a 3.5 hour game, there is only about 15 minutes of actual action. The rest is filler, commercials, and the over analysis of a slow-mo replay. People might say soccer is boring, but at least there is actually 90 minutes of play and extended periods without commercials.

The commercials have gotten a bit out of hand, but the stoppage in between plays IMO contributes to the mounting tension of football. It's the same reason why the last 2 minutes in basketball is usually the most exciting.

If anything kills my interest in football it is the lack of flow. With replays and commercials, we spend more time waiting then watching. In the span of a 3.5 hour game, there is only about 15 minutes of actual action. The rest is filler, commercials, and the over analysis of a slow-mo replay. People might say soccer is boring, but at least there is actually 90 minutes of play and extended periods without commercials.
Last two mins of basketball kills the whole momentum of the game.Foul, free throws, time out, fouls, free throw, timeout...no thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big trouble for the NFL:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7895310/report-junior-seau-family-revisiting-decision-allow-researchers-study-brain

Bigger Problem for the NFL:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7890147/nfl-let-your-son-play-football

you guys act like this isn't a big deal, and to us die-hard fans, it isn't ... but to all the moms and parents that are going to cut their kids off from the game at an early age... thats going to continue to grow with all of these suicides and concussion talk.

that article brings up a great point, would you guys honestly let your kids play football over other sports now?

I love football and it is my main sport, I'm not biased here, (I've come on this board just about everyday for the past two and a half years), its just so clear that in the future it will not sustain its dominance.

that article brings up a great point, would you guys honestly let your kids play football over other sports now?
I don't have kids, so I can only say what I think I'd do if I had some. I would let them play up through high school. But if they were a good enough athlete to play college and/or pro I'd probably counsel them towards another sport.Reason being, I suspect that we'll eventually find out that the CTE effects of playing until you're 18 are nowhere nearly as serious as what they are for someone who plays until he's 35 or 40.

I don't have kids, so I can only say what I think I'd do if I had some. I would let them play up through high school. But if they were a good enough athlete to play college and/or pro I'd probably counsel them towards another sport.Reason being, I suspect that we'll eventually find out that the CTE effects of playing until you're 18 are nowhere nearly as serious as what they are for someone who plays until he's 35 or 40.
totally agree with this. Little kids arn't going to be creating the same type of contact that is creating these long term situations.Its when you get to college and pro that it gets extremely dangerous. Its a really sad thing to see... I'm worried about our game, I hope they can figure something out.

totally agree with this. Little kids arn't going to be creating the same type of contact that is creating these long term situations.Its when you get to college and pro that it gets extremely dangerous. Its a really sad thing to see... I'm worried about our game, I hope they can figure something out.
i think we will find the opposite of what you think. i would not at all be surprised if developing brains getting bashed around from a young age may prove worse. ofc "Little kids arn't going to be creating the same type of contact that is creating these long term situations." but you gotta realize their bodies and brains are at a much different stage of development and likely susceptibility.

I have to agree with the latter also.

When kids are growing, that isn't the time for bashing around on a football field.

Personally I'd wait till college. Have the kids play other sports up to that time and if they have superior talent, let them choose which way to go. It's happening already at some positions like TE and WR. Some people are good basketball players, but not really built for the NBA and/or like more contact which the NFL gives them. So in college, let the kids flip to football. Track stars have been WR picks for most of NFL history too. Basically, my view is to limit my son's football exposure to the least amount needed to be drafted and start getting paid to play.

Albeit, the flip side is there are a lot of people out in the world which really don't have a lot of brains to work in white collar jobs or with complex subjects. And there are some people who just love hitting other people and are physically aggressive out there. Football is the sport for them. Heck, most football players don't even use as much protective gear as they can or the best gear available. So some of their claims of injury concerns are pretty weak because they themselves don't place a high premium on protecting their bodies with the best technologies. Albeit, that happens in every work place. Safety first is always the corporate montra.. but a lot of workers cut corners and then some of them get hurt because of that. In those cases, they shouldn't get a dime for any lawsuits because they choose to accept unnecessary risks.

There will always be some violent sports in this world because there are enough humans on the planet who like aggression. Football will die away only if the aggressive people all disappear and that isn't likely to happen. If armchair lawyers destroy the physical nature of the game, those aggressive people will move to the next new sport which highlights the use of their aggressions.

Mind too there is a fine line between the physical parts of football and the intent to injure physical parts. Some rules like removing the horse collar tackle because it had higher incidents of actually injuring players make sense. Likewise with defenseless player type rules though they tend to be subjective which are always the most difficult types of rules in a game since the refs never call them the same from game to game and group to group.

At the end of the day the money drives the train. So long as there are millions of dollars to be had by people playing, there will be people stepping up to collect that money no matter what the physical effects are on their bodies. Heck, there are a number of dangerous and health damaging jobs out in the world that pay a heck of a lot less than football and people are out there doing those jobs. Some have more safety precautions than others, but people can die just the same doing them if mistakes or careless behavior happens. Football is no different, it's just a huge money cow so people are lined up to suck what they can from it...

Huge NFL fan, but from what I hear from people that don't like watching it, there is too much stop and go in football. I agree there is a lot of dead time but I'm used to it. So as much as people think soccer is boring, football can be considered so to others.

Another question, how much does growing up playing the sport lead to becoming a fan later?

NFL needs to impose some weight limits. Players are huge now. That would have an immediate and significant impact on player health. It isn't talked about as much as the head injuries, but weight has a much stronger link to early death than concussions.

Either way, it'll depend on future research.

As I understand it, any time you hit your head and 'see stars' you've most likely got a grade three concussion (the mildest). But what happens if you get 2-3 of those every game from, say, 12-18? What does that do? Right now no one seems to know the answer and I wouldn't gamble with my kids' long-term health.

Take the experience of a young defensive lineman for the University of North Carolina football team, who suffered two concussions during the 2004 season. His case is one of a number studied by Kevin Guskiewicz, who runs the university’s Sports Concussion Research Program. For the past five seasons, Guskiewicz and his team have tracked every one of the football team’s practices and games using a system called HITS, in which six sensors are placed inside the helmet of every player on the field, measuring the force and location of every blow he receives to the head. Using the HITS data, Guskiewicz was able to reconstruct precisely what happened each time the player was injured.

“The first concussion was during preseason. The team was doing two-a-days,” he said, referring to the habit of practicing in both the morning and the evening in the preseason. “It was August 9th, 9:55 A.M. He has an 80-g hit to the front of his head. About ten minutes later, he has a 98-g acceleration to the front of his head.” To put those numbers in perspective, Guskiewicz explained, if you drove your car into a wall at twenty-five miles per hour and you weren’t wearing your seat belt, the force of your head hitting the windshield would be around 100 gs: in effect, the player had two car accidents that morning. He survived both without incident. “In the evening session, he experiences this 64-g hit to the same spot, the front of the head. Still not reporting anything. And then this happens.” On his laptop, Guskiewicz ran the video from the practice session. It was a simple drill: the lineman squaring off against an offensive player who wore the number 76. The other player ran toward the lineman and brushed past him, while delivering a glancing blow to the defender’s helmet. “Seventy-six does a little quick elbow. It’s 63 gs, the lowest of the four, but he sustains a concussion.”

“The second injury was nine weeks later,” Guskiewicz continued. “He’s now recovered from the initial injury. It’s a game out in Utah. In warmups, he takes a 76-g blow to the front of his head. Then, on the very first play of the game, on kickoff, he gets popped in the earhole. It’s a 102-g impact. He’s part of the wedge.” He pointed to the screen, where the player was blocking on a kickoff: “Right here.” The player stumbled toward the sideline. “His symptoms were significantly worse than the first injury.” Two days later, during an evaluation in Guskiewicz’s clinic, he had to have a towel put over his head because he couldn’t stand the light. He also had difficulty staying awake. He was sidelined for sixteen days.

Read more http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/10/19/091019fa_fact_gladwell#ixzz1u6eN5U9P

i think we will find the opposite of what you think. i would not at all be surprised if developing brains getting bashed around from a young age may prove worse. ofc "Little kids arn't going to be creating the same type of contact that is creating these long term situations." but you gotta realize their bodies and brains are at a much different stage of development and likely susceptibility.
O wow... your right, this is a bigger problem than I even thought.

Sorry but you guys are dead wrong. And lol at "little kids". Apparently you havent watched a 6th grade football game in awhile. Concussions arent rare at even the middle school level. There are a lot of big, strong, fast kids playing middle school football.

Sorry but you guys are dead wrong. And lol at "little kids". Apparently you havent watched a 6th grade football game in awhile. Concussions are rare at even the middle school level. There are a lot of big, strong, fast kids playing middle school football.
the concern is that damage is being done even when there is no concussion.

Sorry but you guys are dead wrong. And lol at "little kids". Apparently you havent watched a 6th grade football game in awhile. Concussions are rare at even the middle school level. There are a lot of big, strong, fast kids playing middle school football.
the concern is that damage is being done even when there is no concussion.
And that mild concussions aren't being observed, but have a cumulative effect over a period of years.

looks like they have the technology to put sensors in all the helmets... the NFL should step up and use hard science like that if they are serious. it isn't a game rule change and just a monitoring factor. with more info on all the hits, the team medical staffs would have more info to monitor player health. especially since the macho attitude of some players seem to not want to focus on safety because it slows them down or whatever. or maybe the NFL does not want to see such data... at the end of the day it wouldn't necessarily change things, just would make the people playing more aware of the hard risks. many would still sign up on the million dollar+ line anyhow...

looks like they have the technology to put sensors in all the helmets... the NFL should step up and use hard science like that if they are serious. it isn't a game rule change and just a monitoring factor. with more info on all the hits, the team medical staffs would have more info to monitor player health. especially since the macho attitude of some players seem to not want to focus on safety because it slows them down or whatever. or maybe the NFL does not want to see such data... at the end of the day it wouldn't necessarily change things, just would make the people playing more aware of the hard risks. many would still sign up on the million dollar+ line anyhow...
I believe Suh wore the helmet with sensors for all the 2011 year to help test it out and further awareness.

From PFT. A lot of good points.

The death of linebacker Junior Seau has triggered a flurry of comments and articles regarding the future of football. Former NFL quarterback Kurt Warner has said that he would prefer that his sons not play football (before later that same day saying he would “love” for them to play). ESPN, a network that pays billions of dollars for the right to televise football games, is showcasing on the NFL home page of its website a column that makes the case for not letting our sons play football. One of the men who currently plays the game, Ravens safety Bernard Pollard, believes football will be extinct in 20 to 30 years.

But here’s the point everyone who is pointing to the Seau suicide as a key crossroads for football is badly missing: The NFL already has arrived at the crossroads, and the NFL has embarked on the path of safety.

Against the wishes of most players and fans.

It happened in 2009 — nearly a year after Ashley Fox of ESPN.com made her own personal decision to not let her then-unborn son play football — when Congress grilled Commissioner Roger Goodell and others regarding head injuries. That relatively minor investment of political resources served as the proverbial shot across the bow, compelling the NFL to make a flurry of changes aimed at reducing the number of concussions that occur during games, diagnosing more effectively the players who have sustained concussions, and ensuring that players who have suffered concussions are not allowed back onto the field until their concussions have fully healed.

Does more need to be done? Absolutely, and I’ve been at the front of the line (to the chagrin of more than a few readers) arguing for further changes, especially as it relates to the development of safeguards and redundancies strong enough to override the all-powerful head coach when a player like Mike Vick has “dirt on his face” or when Colt McCoy clearly had been (as ESPN used to famously call it) “jacked up.”

But the challenge isn’t simply to get coaches, who are driven to win and are driven crazy when rules regarding concussions keep their best players out of action, to accept the new realities of football. Players and, ultimately, the fans must buy in, too.

As one PFT commenter recently pointed out, current players are complaining about efforts to take hard hits out of the game at a time when former players are suing the NFL for, in part, letting them hit each other too hard. For some former players, the concussion issue becomes a convenient vehicle for venting about the fact that today’s owners and players are making obscene amounts of money, and that not enough of it is being shared with the men who made the game what it is. Current players, however, continue to play the game without reservation or hesitation. Indeed, 253 draft picks and hundreds more undrafted players unanimously accepted the offers of employment that have come their way in the last 10 days.

And so, at a time when so many voices are clamoring for football to change even more, the men who play the game don’t want it to. For example, Pollard’s headline-generating prediction didn’t come from his belief that some external body will outlaw the sport, but from a concern that efforts by the NFL to make the game safer will kill it. “This is football,” Pollard said. “It’s not powder puff. When Nike unveiled their new uniforms, I’m surprised they didn’t have flags on the side. . . . You’re taking away the game of football. If a quarterback throws an interception, get his butt down or run to the sidelines. If you’re going to try to make a tackle, I’m going to look for you. I promise you, I’m going to look for you.”

The fans have a role in this, too. As the NFL has tried to make the game safer, the folks who devote money and/or time to watching it have complained, almost as loudly as the players. Those same fans, who love the hits and the intensity of the sport, can’t then wring their hands and gnash their teeth when men who know that the sport entails a significant risk of getting hurt actually, you know, get hurt.

In the end, how far must the NFL go to protect players from themselves? We remain a nation of risk-takers; in many ways, taking risks helped make our country what it is. And we routinely take far greater risks for far less money than NFL players receive.

Hell, we even spend good money to take risks, whether it’s jumping out of airplanes or climbing rock walls or driving motorcycles, with or without helmets. (Ashley Fox doesn’t mention in her column whether she’ll let her son engage in any of those activities. Eventually, however, she’ll lose her vote.)

If grown men, who now can’t say they don’t know the risks of playing football, choose to play, why should anyone stop them? And even if enough parents are actually able to steer that 14-to-18-year-old with testosterone pumping through his body away from playing football to the point where there is no high school football, the best of the best young athletes will nevertheless be recruited to learn football at the college level, at which point the wishes of mom and/or dad will go out the window — especially if playing football pays for tuition and expenses that mom and/or dad otherwise couldn’t afford.

Though plenty of men choose to play college football because they hope to play pro football and not because they want a college education, plenty of men know that football ultimately serves its purpose by providing a college education that they otherwise wouldn’t be able to obtain. And if, in the end, the decision comes down to the risk of incurring CTE on a gridiron or encountering an IED on a dirt road in Afghanistan, plenty of men will gladly embrace the risks of playing college football.

Huge NFL fan, but from what I hear from people that don't like watching it, there is too much stop and go in football. I agree there is a lot of dead time but I'm used to it. So as much as people think soccer is boring, football can be considered so to others. Another question, how much does growing up playing the sport lead to becoming a fan later?
I find soccer less boring that football precisely because of how prevalent the dead time is in football.

Another question, how much does growing up playing the sport lead to becoming a fan later?
I'd like to know the answer to this question from a lot of different angles. What percentage of male fans played at some level? What percentage of HS players became NFL fans later? How does the percentage of fans in an age bracket differ from bracket to bracket and what trends are happening along those lines?

remove the helmets - nobody is going to spear someone if they don't have a helmet on - the helmet is a weapon

how many concussions/suicided from Rugy? you know - where "tackling" is wrapping up instead of spearing with your helmet ....

I have to agree with the latter also.When kids are growing, that isn't the time for bashing around on a football field.Personally I'd wait till college. Have the kids play other sports up to that time and if they have superior talent, let them choose which way to go. It's happening already at some positions like TE and WR. Some people are good basketball players, but not really built for the NBA and/or like more contact which the NFL gives them. So in college, let the kids flip to football. Track stars have been WR picks for most of NFL history too. Basically, my view is to limit my son's football exposure to the least amount needed to be drafted and start getting paid to play.Albeit, the flip side is there are a lot of people out in the world which really don't have a lot of brains to work in white collar jobs or with complex subjects. And there are some people who just love hitting other people and are physically aggressive out there. Football is the sport for them. Heck, most football players don't even use as much protective gear as they can or the best gear available. So some of their claims of injury concerns are pretty weak because they themselves don't place a high premium on protecting their bodies with the best technologies. Albeit, that happens in every work place. Safety first is always the corporate montra.. but a lot of workers cut corners and then some of them get hurt because of that. In those cases, they shouldn't get a dime for any lawsuits because they choose to accept unnecessary risks. I don't think football was ever meant to be played by minors. It's a young mans game to be played from 18 to 30ish. The reason why it took off at the college level was because it raised school moral and kept potential louts focused on athletics instead of bar fighting or chasing women on weekends. The sport is too violent for children. Once the size and strength difference of puberty becomes pronounced smallish youths have no chance in competing against larger people in the same age range. I know from experience as I was about average size around my high school senior year but was "tiny" on the football field. I remember joking with my friends that I could toss around in high school gym classes that on the team I was 5'6" runty guy who got thrown in the showers by the alpha males.....There will always be some violent sports in this world because there are enough humans on the planet who like aggression. Football will die away only if the aggressive people all disappear and that isn't likely to happen. If armchair lawyers destroy the physical nature of the game, those aggressive people will move to the next new sport which highlights the use of their aggressions.Mind too there is a fine line between the physical parts of football and the intent to injure physical parts. Some rules like removing the horse collar tackle because it had higher incidents of actually injuring players make sense. Likewise with defenseless player type rules though they tend to be subjective which are always the most difficult types of rules in a game since the refs never call them the same from game to game and group to group. At the end of the day the money drives the train. So long as there are millions of dollars to be had by people playing, there will be people stepping up to collect that money no matter what the physical effects are on their bodies. Heck, there are a number of dangerous and health damaging jobs out in the world that pay a heck of a lot less than football and people are out there doing those jobs. Some have more safety precautions than others, but people can die just the same doing them if mistakes or careless behavior happens. Football is no different, it's just a huge money cow so people are lined up to suck what they can from it...

Gregg Doyel piling on.

link

If lost lawsuits start piling up, it could be lights out for NFL

We're a few years away, but it's coming. It's happening, and there's nothing any of us can do about it. In a few years, courts will start hearing class-action lawsuits filed by retired players against the NFL. And if that first wave of lawsuits ends badly for the league -- with precedent-setting rulings that the NFL owes millions of dollars in damages -- the jig's up. The game's over. The NFL is finished.

Note that I didn't write, "The NFL as we know it is finished." I didn't write that, because it's worse than that.

The NFL. Finished.

I realize I'm describing the indescribable, but I'm not imagining the unimaginable. It's pretty damn easy to see how bad this could be, because while the NFL can afford bad publicity and a tough union and the occasional suicide by a beloved former star, what it can't afford is the millions -- hundreds of millions, easy -- it would lose should its former players start winning these lawsuits.

And there's a lot more retired players out there, watching these lawsuits. Waiting. With an attorney on speed dial. I promise you that.

This is the NFL's Big Tobacco moment, only worse, because people aren't literally addicted to football like they're addicted to smoking -- and because the NFL doesn't generate billions in tax revenues. Financially speaking, this country needs the tobacco industry. We love football, but we don't need it like we need tobacco.

And things have gotten pretty bad for Big Tobacco. A pack of cigarettes is at least $6 in most states, and $14 in New York. Know why? Because when four of the country's largest tobacco companies were hit with what's known as the Master Settlement Agreement in 1998, forcing them to pay 46 states a minimum of $206 billion over 25 years, it set off a lawsuit frenzy that continues to this day. Damaged smokers everywhere realized their suffering was worth money. And they lawyered up.

So this is a big "if," but it's an "if" that cannot be ignored: If one of these first few trials goes badly for the NFL, damaged football players everywhere will realize their suffering is worth money, and they'll lawyer up. And they'll win, just like smokers keep winning. A smoker in Los Angeles was awarded $100 million in 2001. Another in Florida won $39 million in 2009. It continues to this day as a class-action lawsuit winds through Canadian courts, with plaintiffs seeking up to $27 billion.

The future of the NFL comes down to this: Will it lose any of the early, precedent-setting lawsuits? The NFL will say it shouldn't be held responsible that former players are breaking down physically. Professional football players are adults, the NFL will argue; they had to know the risks of banging repeatedly into each other. And that's a compelling argument.

The players will argue that the NFL knew about the life-altering risks of brain trauma decades ago but didn't warn them. If an NFL linebacker knew he was risking dementia at age 50, maybe he would have sought two or three times more than the average NFL salary of $90,000 in 1981. And surely he and his fellow players would have bargained for better post-career medical benefits than the nearly nonexistent coverage some receive today. That's the argument players will make -- and that, too, is a compelling argument.

Scared, my fellow football fan? Well, it gets worse.

There's also the helmets.

See, helmets are worn to protect the head of the player wearing it. As we all know, helmets haven't done it. Not well enough. Nothing against helmet makers -- I'm not sure it's possible to protect an NFL player's brain with all those nasty collisions -- but retired players have been diagnosed with dementia at rates five to 19 times higher than the general population. So the question for courts to decide is this: Should the makers of those helmets be held responsible? If that answer is "yes," then it's like I said:

Football is finished.

Because even if the NFL thinks it can survive the lawsuits by using the product on the field to stave off bankruptcy, you can't play football without a football helmet. And if helmet makers are going to be sued, they'll find something else to make, like lawn chairs.

This is all worst-case stuff, and I don't want it to happen. But sit here and pretend it can't happen? I can't do that. What I can do is watch the legal proceedings carefully, and keep track of the lawsuits filed. And what do you know? Another lawsuit was filed in the past few days. This one is led by Hall of Fame receiver Art Monk, who has sued the NFL -- and the NFL's helmet-maker, Riddell -- over his "short term memory loss, headaches and speech difficulties."

Monk was joined by 62 other former players in his class-action suit. All told, more than 2,000 players have filed almost 75 complaints against the NFL or Riddell. What's lifelong brain trauma worth to a middle-aged man? A million bucks? Multiply a million bucks times 2,000 players. OK, I'll do it for you: That's $2 billion.

And that would be just the start. After that, more lawsuits. More billions.

No more NFL.

Gregg Doyel piling on.

link

We're a few years away, but it's coming. It's happening, and there's nothing any of us can do about it. In a few years, courts will start hearing class-action lawsuits filed by retired players against the NFL. And if that first wave of lawsuits ends badly for the league -- with precedent-setting rulings that the NFL owes millions of dollars in damages -- the jig's up. The game's over. The NFL is finished.

Note that I didn't write, "The NFL as we know it is finished." I didn't write that, because it's worse than that.

The NFL. Finished.

I realize I'm describing the indescribable, but I'm not imagining the unimaginable. It's pretty damn easy to see how bad this could be, because while the NFL can afford bad publicity and a tough union and the occasional suicide by a beloved former star, what it can't afford is the millions -- hundreds of millions, easy -- it would lose should its former players start winning these lawsuits.

And there's a lot more retired players out there, watching these lawsuits. Waiting. With an attorney on speed dial. I promise you that.

This is the NFL's Big Tobacco moment, only worse, because people aren't literally addicted to football like they're addicted to smoking -- and because the NFL doesn't generate billions in tax revenues. Financially speaking, this country needs the tobacco industry. We love football, but we don't need it like we need tobacco.

And things have gotten pretty bad for Big Tobacco. A pack of cigarettes is at least $6 in most states, and $14 in New York. Know why? Because when four of the country's largest tobacco companies were hit with what's known as the Master Settlement Agreement in 1998, forcing them to pay 46 states a minimum of $206 billion over 25 years, it set off a lawsuit frenzy that continues to this day. Damaged smokers everywhere realized their suffering was worth money. And they lawyered up.

So this is a big "if," but it's an "if" that cannot be ignored: If one of these first few trials goes badly for the NFL, damaged football players everywhere will realize their suffering is worth money, and they'll lawyer up. And they'll win, just like smokers keep winning. A smoker in Los Angeles was awarded $100 million in 2001. Another in Florida won $39 million in 2009. It continues to this day as a class-action lawsuit winds through Canadian courts, with plaintiffs seeking up to $27 billion.

The future of the NFL comes down to this: Will it lose any of the early, precedent-setting lawsuits? The NFL will say it shouldn't be held responsible that former players are breaking down physically. Professional football players are adults, the NFL will argue; they had to know the risks of banging repeatedly into each other. And that's a compelling argument.

The players will argue that the NFL knew about the life-altering risks of brain trauma decades ago but didn't warn them. If an NFL linebacker knew he was risking dementia at age 50, maybe he would have sought two or three times more than the average NFL salary of $90,000 in 1981. And surely he and his fellow players would have bargained for better post-career medical benefits than the nearly nonexistent coverage some receive today. That's the argument players will make -- and that, too, is a compelling argument.

See, helmets are worn to protect the head of the player wearing it. As we all know, helmets haven't done it. Not well enough. Nothing against helmet makers -- I'm not sure it's possible to protect an NFL player's brain with all those nasty collisions -- but retired players have been diagnosed with dementia at rates five to 19 times higher than the general population. So the question for courts to decide is this: Should the makers of those helmets be held responsible? If that answer is "yes," then it's like I said:

Football is finished.

Because even if the NFL thinks it can survive the lawsuits by using the product on the field to stave off bankruptcy, you can't play football without a football helmet. And if helmet makers are going to be sued, they'll find something else to make, like lawn chairs.

This is all worst-case stuff, and I don't want it to happen. But sit here and pretend it can't happen? I can't do that. What I can do is watch the legal proceedings carefully, and keep track of the lawsuits filed. And what do you know? Another lawsuit was filed in the past few days. This one is led by Hall of Fame receiver Art Monk, who has sued the NFL -- and the NFL's helmet-maker, Riddell -- over his "short term memory loss, headaches and speech difficulties."

Monk was joined by 62 other former players in his class-action suit. All told, more than 2,000 players have filed almost 75 complaints against the NFL or Riddell. What's lifelong brain trauma worth to a middle-aged man? A million bucks? Multiply a million bucks times 2,000 players. OK, I'll do it for you: That's $2 billion.

No more NFL.
lol ummmmmm .. this is a bit radical IMO... its obviously a gloomy horizon... but to say the NFL is done is a bit ridiculous at this point in time.

Gregg Doyel piling on.

link

The NFL. Finished.

Football is finished.

No more NFL.
lol ummmmmm .. this is a bit radical IMO... its obviously a gloomy horizon... but to say the NFL is done is a bit ridiculous at this point in time.
:goodposting:

That was one of the most fanatical articles I've ever seen. I just don't see it ever happening.

Football is the only way out for some, despite threat of concussions

Paul Daugherty>INSIDE THE NFL

The NFL is in a death spiral owing to its violence. Parents will let their sons play soccer or golf or house before they'll allow them to be concussed playing football. This is the word on the street.

Actually, it's the word at the intersection of Pleasant Street and Academia Boulevard. In places where football means college and a chance at a prosperous career -- the proverbial Way Out -- the word is somewhat different. In these places, kids are still playing lots of football. And the NFL is full of these kids.

"I've had single parents come to me and say, 'Coach Martin, my son needs to be tougher, can you help him?' I've never had someone ask me the opposite.'' This is Mike Martin. Martin was not an exceptional NFL player. He had a seven-year career with the Cincinnati Bengals in the 1980s. A wide receiver, Martin caught 67 passes in his career. In '84 he led the league in average yards per punt return.

Martin is a fine test case for the silly, football-is-dying notions currently being floated, though. He grew up in Southeast D.C., walking distance from the old RFK Stadium, in a lousy neighborhood. His father was an alcoholic and absent; his mother worked multiple jobs.

Martin says he played tackle football on concrete "because the dirt fields we played on had too much glass on them.'' Nevertheless, Martin got a full ride to Illinois, earned his degree, and lasted a few years longer than average in the NFL. He achieved what lots of poor, urban kids aspire to.

"It gave me a jumpstart on life,'' Martin said this week. "These kids have an opportunity for a free education and if they're really good, an opportunity to make millions of dollars.''

Apparently, we are to believe that sort of dreaming and potential is vanishing everywhere, because the league is too rough.

Jay Coakley, a "sports sociologist'' at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, recently said to a New York Times reporter, ""Football is really on the verge of a turning point here. We may see it in 15 years in pretty much the same place as boxing or ultimate fighting."

A few things about that:

(1) Can we do a story on this topic now without input from a "sports sociologist''?

(2) That's crazy.

That puts the NFL in a nice, hedge-rowed suburban box. That's not where the NFL lives.

I haven't done a study. Maybe someone has. But I've covered the NFL for close to 30 years. It is not Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood. A majority of its players -- and certainly, its stars -- did not grow up with free and easy access to golf courses, tennis courts or any of the other options that parents evidently will be turning to now. I did a book with the former Chad Johnson. He grew up in the Liberty City neighborhood of Miami, host of the pre-Super Bowl riot in 1989. Chad wasn't exactly hanging out at Doral, practicing flop wedges.

Chad is more typical of the league than not. This isn't to say parents or guardians of kids playing football in places like Liberty City are OK with their charges getting concussed. It's to say that opportunities there are constricted, but the talent is not. If you want to declare, as Coakley did, that football faces UFC-status, you must also ignore the sociology of the game. Which is a strange thing for a sociologist to do.

Mike Martin: "I see little kids today. They love to play the game. They tell me how hard they hit someone. They brag on it. I have to ask them, 'Did you keep your head up?'''

After he retired from the NFL, Martin coached football for a decade at an inner-city high school in Cincinnati. What he heard was not, "I'm worried my son will get hurt.'' He heard, "My son needs discipline and structure. My son needs to know what it's like to work hard and earn self respect.''

Martin also heard the phrase "father figure'' tossed around quite a bit. When he arrived at Taft High, he had 25 players on his team. By the time he left, he had 70. Several received Division I football scholarships.

Are there college scholarships now for boxing?

Is there a place an urban kid can go for a free education and a college degree while also becoming a mixed martial artist?

It's easy for Coakley and Kurt Warner and Tom Brady's father to say they'd do things differently with their kids. Their kids aren't at Taft High, or in Liberty City. Or in Atlanta, for that matter.

"I saw football as a way out,'' Adam Jones said this week. "For me, it was the only way out.'' The erstwhile Pacman grew up in Atlanta, raised by mom, in less than gracious surroundings. He went to West Virginia, was the sixth player drafted in 2005 and made millions of dollars. Jones' dream was realized swiftly and shattered spectacularly. But football gave him the chance to dream.

As long as that dream is viable for kids whose dreaming is constricted by their environment, the NFL isn't going anywhere.

As a high school kid, Mike Martin earned spending money selling Cokes at Washington Redskins games. His senior year, 1978, he stopped selling sodas and instead used his vendor's pass to get into the games. "I'm going to play here one day,'' he said.

Five years later, he was a rookie with the Bengals. They played the Redskins at RFK, in a preseason game. Martin walked into the stadium and saw banners his vendor-buddies had hung to greet him: "If it doesn't work out, you can always sell Cokes.''

After the game, so many of Martin's friends from the neighborhood gathered around him on the field, he needed security to escort him to the locker room. "People from my neighborhood were crying,'' he recalled. "One of their own had made it out. A kid from the 'hood had made it to the NFL. They couldn't believe it. It was one of my fondest memories in football.''

Somewhere in Liberty City or Southeast D.C. or Atlanta, kids are dreaming the same dream today. Are the NFL's concerns regarding concussions legitimate? Of course. Will they keep kids like these from playing football?

Not in a million years.

I apologize if someone else wrote this but I can't read through all 4 pages of this. The downfall of football will be greed, just like with Borders, and any other company that keeps expanding until they can no longer sustain it. Football is probably at the right size, with the right number of games as it stands. The owners, and others will get greedy and expand the number of games and teams, which will cause more injuries, and you will have more players so in return the product gets worse. This is what will ruin football.

I apologize if someone else wrote this but I can't read through all 4 pages of this. The downfall of football will be greed, just like with Borders, and any other company that keeps expanding until they can no longer sustain it. Football is probably at the right size, with the right number of games as it stands. The owners, and others will get greedy and expand the number of games and teams, which will cause more injuries, and you will have more players so in return the product gets worse. This is what will ruin football.
And Borders would still be doing great business today, just like every other bookstore chain, if they hadn't been so greedy. :hophead:

It was an example, and there is a couple book stores near me that are locally owned that are still going good. Look at all the Star Bucks that closed, I am sure there are other things I just can't think of them right now.

It was an example, and there is a couple book stores near me that are locally owned that are still going good. Look at all the Star Bucks that closed, I am sure there are other things I just can't think of them right now.
Of course they are, but you were not referring to the Mom-and-Pop local independent store, you were referring to a chains or large organizations that overexpanded and analogized it to the NFL (and Starbucks may have closed some stores but is still doing well according to Wall St. - their stock is selling today for $51 a share). As you said originally:
The downfall of football will be greed, just like with Borders, and any other company that keeps expanding until they can no longer sustain it.

If the league is serious about health as they claim to be, I really think we're less than 10 years from capping the number of plays that players at a high risk position (OL, DL, RB, S) can be on the field for and once they reach that number they must be compelled to retire.

Obviously it would be controversial and would come with a lot of in-game management decisions for the coaching staff, contracts for these positions would be completely different, and let's not even imagine the impact on the RB position in fantasy, but it seems like the only solution to combat the fact that players will only continue to get bigger & faster.

Or maybe to a less of an extreme, there are benchmark number of plays where a player must be re-evaluated before being allowed to resume his career, but at least it's doing the part of recognizing that the greater the number of plays the greater the risk of long-term health problems.

I probably already said this here, but if the NFL wants to improve player health, weight limits are the key. Weight limits would positively impact head injuries, joint injuries and the greatest threat to player health: obesity.

And Borders would still be doing great business today, just like every other bookstore chain, if they hadn't been so greedy. :hophead:
as a former borders employee I assure you it wasnt greed that broguht them down. it was stupidity.I doubt b&n or books a million survive another 5 years

I love football. Played every year I could through high school.

As a father, I'm feeling like Aikman.........

On the other hand, good, solid hits are being flagged and affecting the outcome of games. It sucks, and in some ways is ruining the sport.

The head injury thing is tough.

I probably already said this here, but if the NFL wants to improve player health, weight limits are the key. Weight limits would positively impact head injuries, joint injuries and the greatest threat to player health: obesity.
I don't know if I buy this. One of the most vicious hits I've seen in recent memory was Dunta Robinson on DeSean Jackson.What is the average weight of those two? 180 pounds?There's no easy solution to football's problem because the very things that make the game interesting (i.e. monster hits/speed/strength/quickness) are the things that make it hazardous to play.

I coach youth football at the middle school level. If anything kills football in the years to come it will be Mom's. Can't begin to tell you how many Mom's I hear talking about pulling their kids out. As NFL players keep falling due to brain injury more and more kids will be forced to stop. Fall baseball and fall lacrosse are already getting popular here. And I have to admit that its getting harder for me to encourage football with my own sons.
:goodposting:I always thought my son would play football, but the closer I get to that age, the more I am pushing him towards soccer and other sports. I love football, but the size and speed of players today is just a world of difference compared to when I played.
This is the "slow cancer" that football is facing. My neighbour's son couldn't wait to play football in highschool. He was a receiver and track star first year and they converted him to QB in Grade 10. He got his bell rung and couple of times and he was done. Now he focuses on track.I struggle to reconcile two opposing viewpoints which I both agree with to a degree. First there's the "as long as there's money to be made and the sport is popular, people will continue to play" and then there's the "I love football but I don't want my kid playing it" perspective. The latter is not an anomaly, it's a growing trend.

Comes down to one thing in the US are we the best? If no then we won't watch it. People from Europe always think they know best but Soccer is a bore.

To those thinking i need to watch more, It's like telling someone from Congo oh no just watch 1000 baseball games then you will like it. Also I watch the World Cup and I watch the Olympics but I don't watch qualifying or the ski leagues. By the way I buy FIFA but I would never in a million years start watching more soccer.

Reasons why sports succeed:

Football - only Sundays when most places are too cold to go outside, Saturday is the day you get crap done around the house

Basketball - Nothing else on in March and April really

Baseball - Great on radio and you can check-in even when you are out and about and feel connected to the 162 games a year

College Sports - you need something to drink at and have in common with your professor

In the end Football and soccer are not at ends they won't even be played at the same times, baseball and soccer is a different story.

The main reason why soccer is big in a lot places is you just need a ball and that's it, look at Africa and all the marathon stars.

Also those talking about sports from the past and now they are not on top you need to remember TV has now solidified sports now compared to in the past, same with the UN solidifying countries as well.

Also if we look at the increases in tv viewing that's great but just because there is an uptick doesn't mean it will continue to trend that way and in the end it's about where the money goes. ESPN is not letting baseball or football die anytime soon.

good points, but what about when NFL football basically becomes two hand touch? It's already changing fairly dramatically. I can think of several good, solid tackles that were flagged last season, that were reactionary calls by the official.

I don't know if I buy this. One of the most vicious hits I've seen in recent memory was Dunta Robinson on DeSean Jackson.What is the average weight of those two? 180 pounds?There's no easy solution to football's problem because the very things that make the game interesting (i.e. monster hits/speed/strength/quickness) are the things that make it hazardous to play.
I agree there is no easy solution, but just because a weight limit does not prevent every injury does not mean it is ineffective. There are two ways to lower the force at impact, lower the mass or the velocity. It is a lot easier to control weight than speed. Not to mention the problems excessive weight can have on joints and the heart.

good points, but what about when NFL football basically becomes two hand touch?
Everyone still watches, they just have one more thing to yap about.How many fans has the NFL lost since Jack Lambert suggested putting dresses on the quarterbacks?

'massraider said:
'Manster said:
Everyone still watches, they just have one more thing to yap about.How many fans has the NFL lost since Jack Lambert suggested putting dresses on the quarterbacks?
Yea, you're prolly right, but the officials have got to be able to distinguish between a good, solid, legal hit and a non legal hit. Maybe they should review flagged hits so they can see it in slo-mo, unless its totally obvious

I agree there is no easy solution, but just because a weight limit does not prevent every injury does not mean it is ineffective. There are two ways to lower the force at impact, lower the mass or the velocity. It is a lot easier to control weight than speed. Not to mention the problems excessive weight can have on joints and the heart.
Been thinking about this for a couple of days to make sure I thought I had a handle on the physics of the situation. I believe ultimately a change in player weight is probably going to have a smaller impact on head injuries than would a proportional change in speed of impact. For two main reasons.First, and lesser, human bodies are not rigid bodies where adding weight means you added weight that will contribute to the impact. Pack 50 lbs on a man's gut and turn him from a LB to a DT and a lot of that weight will deform elastically in a collision, and only a portion of it will contribute to the force of impact.Second and the larger reason is the nature of a head injury. It isn't the impact of the hitter that directly causes the damage, as it would be for a shoulder or a helmet to the ribs. A head injury is a secondary collision caused as the head rebounds from the original collision and the inside of the skull impacts the brain. And then the subsequent additional collisions as the brain sloshes about until the motion dies down.I think when you take the non-rigid body aspect into account, a higher speed impact is probably more likely to result in a higher speed rebound of the opponent's head than is a lower speed impact by a heavier player. Hitting a guy in the head you're just not going to get all of your weight into the hit. The heavier player isn't able to get enough of his additional weight in line with the contact to make up for the lower speed, in the types of hits we tend to see cause serious head injuries.Not that both sized players aren't capable of causing a head injury. Which is why I'd say a more effective way of dealing with such injuries is get players focus to be make a hard tackle with good technique rather than try to blow up another player so they get on the highlight reel. And part of that would be get rid of such hits in the highlight reel. Not sure the networks will go for that though.Weight limits would help with joint issues and the like, sure, but I don't think those are nearly as much a focus right now in football. I just don't see them as a realistic thing at the NFL level.

'massraider said:
'Manster said:
The sport's popularity keeps trending upwards. So none that it didn't replace and then some.

This story is worthy of a mention in this thread.

link

Insurer looks to part ways with NFL

A company that the NFL was hoping it could count on to help in its defense against concussion lawsuits is seeking to separate itself from the league.

Alterra America Insurance, which provided the NFL with an excess casualty insurance policy last season, has asked for a New York State Supreme Court judge to issue a declaratory judgment in its favor that would clear the firm from having to defend the league and pay for the damages associated with litigation that now involves more than 3,000 former players. Many of the player suits have been consolidated into a single case in a district court in Pennsylvania.

In a complaint filed on Monday, Alterra said the league had expressed it was expecting the company to be involved in both defending and covering the league should they lose in court.

Calls and emails made to Alterra, and a lawyer representing them, were not returned.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said league officials couldn't specifically comment because its legal team has not been served with the papers related to the action.

McCarthy provided ESPN.com with a statement the league has been using for some time.

"The NFL has long made player safety a priority and continues to do so. Any allegation that the NFL intentionally sought to mislead players has no merit. It stands in contrast to the league's actions to better protect players and advance the science and medical understanding of the management and treatment of concussions."

Alterra, which only covered the league for one year, is one of many insurance companies with which the league has a policy. No other insurance company that has a relationship with the league has balked in defending and perhaps paying off future claims.

As the concussion lawsuits mount, a significant amount of pressure has been put on the insurance companies. In April, Riddell, the official helmet of the league which has been included in many of the player lawsuits, filed suit in California, after it said that three of the nine companies that it had insurance policies with -- ranging in time from 1959 to 1980 -- either failed to acknowledge the league had coverage with them or contested the insurance company wasn't liable for current claims against Riddell.

Last two mins of basketball kills the whole momentum of the game.Foul, free throws, time out, fouls, free throw, timeout...no thanks.
There is a break after every play in football. The actual play to game clock ratio is one of the worst in sports. I'll likely always prefer football to basketball, but not because of momentum. There is nothing - football included - like the last 5 minutes of a good, important basketball game, in my book.

'azgroover said:
This story is worthy of a mention in this thread.

link

Insurer looks to part ways with NFL

A company that the NFL was hoping it could count on to help in its defense against concussion lawsuits is seeking to separate itself from the league.

Alterra America Insurance, which provided the NFL with an excess casualty insurance policy last season, has asked for a New York State Supreme Court judge to issue a declaratory judgment in its favor that would clear the firm from having to defend the league and pay for the damages associated with litigation that now involves more than 3,000 former players. Many of the player suits have been consolidated into a single case in a district court in Pennsylvania.

In a complaint filed on Monday, Alterra said the league had expressed it was expecting the company to be involved in both defending and covering the league should they lose in court.

Calls and emails made to Alterra, and a lawyer representing them, were not returned.

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said league officials couldn't specifically comment because its legal team has not been served with the papers related to the action.

McCarthy provided ESPN.com with a statement the league has been using for some time.

"The NFL has long made player safety a priority and continues to do so. Any allegation that the NFL intentionally sought to mislead players has no merit. It stands in contrast to the league's actions to better protect players and advance the science and medical understanding of the management and treatment of concussions."

Alterra, which only covered the league for one year, is one of many insurance companies with which the league has a policy. No other insurance company that has a relationship with the league has balked in defending and perhaps paying off future claims.

As the concussion lawsuits mount, a significant amount of pressure has been put on the insurance companies. In April, Riddell, the official helmet of the league which has been included in many of the player lawsuits, filed suit in California, after it said that three of the nine companies that it had insurance policies with -- ranging in time from 1959 to 1980 -- either failed to acknowledge the league had coverage with them or contested the insurance company wasn't liable for current claims against Riddell.
While ESPN is fawning over Tebow's Bday, important news continues to fly ubde the radar. This very significant story and the reports that the FBI found no evidence of Saints'spying are swept under the rug.

Users who are viewing this thread