What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Detroit Crimson Tide..Roll Lions: Draft day! (31 Viewers)

Pride of Detroit site lists three coaching decisions that led to LIons loss at end of the game. Two had been previously mentioned (Lions going conservative for the field goal, rushing three on 4th down). One I missed was Lions calling timeout after 3rd down when Baltimore had no time outs left. 

Ravens said after the game that the Lions timeout allowed them to catch their breath and change the play call. The Lions pass rush had been all over Jackson for the first three downs. 

I've come to realize that I've been telling myself to be patient with the players but that has to apply to Campbell as well. He has less than one full season as a NFL head coach. I'm grateful for his desire and passion to restore the Lions franchise and hope that he grows in his role.

Pride of Detroit site lists three coaching decisions that led to LIons loss at end of the game. Two had been previously mentioned (Lions going conservative for the field goal, rushing three on 4th down). One I missed was Lions calling timeout after 3rd down when Baltimore had no time outs left. 

Ravens said after the game that the Lions timeout allowed them to catch their breath and change the play call. The Lions pass rush had been all over Jackson for the first three downs. 

I've come to realize that I've been telling myself to be patient with the players but that has to apply to Campbell as well. He has less than one full season as a NFL head coach. I'm grateful for his desire and passion to restore the Lions franchise and hope that he grows in his role.

Ryan Mink

@ryanmink

Lamar Jackson said Greg Roman changed the play during the Lions' timeout before that 4th-down throw. He said the Ravens offense needed that break. Said it was a "huge" timeout.

I get it. There were questionable coaching decisions. They could have started faster. They could have stopped the Ravens on 4th and 19. I get it. But there are similar happenings by 31 other teams every week and those teams don't seem to get screwed time and time again by the refs like we do. 

I can only speak for myself but I am ####### sick of it. 

Every day I look forward to the future where the Lions are eventually going to be able to make every other team in the league miserable, especially the inept, incompetent, moronic, dumb, stupid refs.  It’s a constant parade of people kicking us squarely in the Jimmie’s, and the best we get from the NFL office is a “whoops.” Fine. Have it your way. But when the Lions finally get the success they so completely deserve, I’m going to enjoy absolutely every single second of watching teams fear playing them, watching the refs try to screw them as always, but the Lions just win anyway, and I will especially look forward to rubbing everyone’s snide remarks back in their faces.

Every day I look forward to the future where the Lions are eventually going to be able to make every other team in the league miserable, especially the inept, incompetent, moronic, dumb, stupid refs.  It’s a constant parade of people kicking us squarely in the Jimmie’s, and the best we get from the NFL office is a “whoops.” Fine. Have it your way. But when the Lions finally get the success they so completely deserve, I’m going to enjoy absolutely every single second of watching teams fear playing them, watching the refs try to screw them as always, but the Lions just win anyway, and I will especially look forward to rubbing everyone’s snide remarks back in their faces.
I've been waiting for this for decades. I do have hope with Campbell/Holmes though. But these guys are going to have growing pains.

My thoughts from the other side of the aisle:

I don't know how this is possible, but I somehow feel that Baltimore should have won the game with ease, and that they should have lost. Hollywood Brown dropped two sure TDs and another that probably would have been. On the other hand, Detroit thoroughly outplayed the Ravens in the 2nd half and only lost because of a weird confluence of events.

If the play clock on TV was correct, then that was certainly delay of game. It's also pretty clear that the OL moved before the snap.

The NFL isn't out to screw the Lions. Go into any team thread here, and each fan base thinks the NFL/refs have it in for them. Hell, Ravens fans can't wait for the schedule to be released each year to scream about how Goodell hates them because Ray Lewis murdered someone (or because of Brian Billick, or because of Modell, or because of Ray Rice, or because they're not the Steelers, or....).

You can't give up a conversion on 4th & 19. You just can't.

I've been waiting for this for decades. I do have hope with Campbell/Holmes though. But these guys are going to have growing pains.
I have realized that, and have set my expectations accordingly, but to see them get screwed out of a win that they deserved to have, mistakes and all, by incompetence by the officials yet again, is maddening. Still, they’re improving a bit at a time, and while they have a ways to go, they’re going to continue to grow.

It's also pretty clear that the OL moved before the snap.

When the play clock hit zero - everyone was set - the RG had major movement. Honestly, it would have been called by high school refs, it was that blatant.

The NFL isn't out to screw the Lions.

I know you think you’re being perfectly reasonable. I have about a dozen clips that would convince anyone otherwise but I. am. not. In. The. #######. Mood rn.

At least four times games ended in the last decade where every NFL fan in the country said “WTF? I didn’t even know that was a rule.”, at least two where they did change the rule the following season bc it was so ####### unfair. Now I know we’re drifting a bit here from getting screwed to being by cursed but...

THAT IS TWICE in my lifetime the other team had a miraculous completion with no timeouts to setup a NFL record long FG to win 19-17 with no time left. I know, just a weird coincidence right? Right? Damnit I know Tucker is the GoAT but Tom mother####ing Dempsey?

I’m gonna go run ten angry miles. FTR, Im not a runner.

My thoughts from the other side of the aisle:

I don't know how this is possible, but I somehow feel that Baltimore should have won the game with ease, and that they should have lost. Hollywood Brown dropped two sure TDs and another that probably would have been. On the other hand, Detroit thoroughly outplayed the Ravens in the 2nd half and only lost because of a weird confluence of events.

If the play clock on TV was correct, then that was certainly delay of game. It's also pretty clear that the OL moved before the snap.

The NFL isn't out to screw the Lions. Go into any team thread here, and each fan base thinks the NFL/refs have it in for them. Hell, Ravens fans can't wait for the schedule to be released each year to scream about how Goodell hates them because Ray Lewis murdered someone (or because of Brian Billick, or because of Modell, or because of Ray Rice, or because they're not the Steelers, or....).

You can't give up a conversion on 4th & 19. You just can't.

It was strange, as soon as the Ravens converted I knew the Lions were going to lose no matter how long the FG try was.  

Wasn't the outcome pretty much best-case scenario for you guys? You played fairly well, hung in there with one of the better teams in the NFL, coulda/shoulda/woulda won the game if it wasn't for those meddling officials, but still are in the hunt for a (the) top draft pick. Win/win IMO.

When the play clock hit zero - everyone was set - the RG had major movement. Honestly, it would have been called by high school refs, it was that blatant.

I know you think you’re being perfectly reasonable. I have about a dozen clips that would convince anyone otherwise but I. am. not. In. The. #######. Mood rn.

At least four times games ended in the last decade where every NFL fan in the country said “WTF? I didn’t even know that was a rule.”, at least two where they did change the rule the following season bc it was so ####### unfair. Now I know we’re drifting a bit here from getting screwed to being by cursed but...

THAT IS TWICE in my lifetime the other team had a miraculous completion with no timeouts to setup a NFL record long FG to win 19-17 with no time left. I know, just a weird coincidence right? Right? Damnit I know Tucker is the GoAT but Tom mother####ing Dempsey?

Why do you think the refs and the NFL hates the Lions out of all the 32 other teams?

Go ask a Raiders fan who they think gets screwed the most.

Every team has bad beats. Accumulation over decades dictates that. 

:goodposting:

This times 1000. 

Why do you think the refs and the NFL hates the Lions out of all the 32 other teams?

Go ask a Raiders fan who they think gets screwed the most.

Every team has bad beats. Accumulation over decades dictates that. 
The Raiders got a break yesterday in overtime from a ref who had a closeup of Will Fuller being grabbed by the shoulders in the endzone before the ball arrived. That's 2 games decided by bad officiating.

https://twitter.com/davidcanter/status/1442294551712919553?s=19

I don't think the league, nor the officials, have it out for the Lions.  I do think they seem to always find themselves on the wrong side of these kind of calls, however.  I have always just attributed it to the bias that occurs in sports officiating.  Calls seemingly tend to go for the teams and players considered the best, and against those considered the worst.  I am sure that is some subconscious bias in officials.  They already know it's a bad team, mistake prone, and I would bet that skews perception.  A make your own luck situation, if you will.

I hate doing this, because this is where it always go when such an egregious bad call takes place... but... if you don't allow a 36 yard pass on 4th and 18, you aren't in position for the officials to burn you like this.  I mean... how the hell was Watkins that open?

I'd like to see a list like this for any other team. It's insane. The above doesn't even include the refs correctly calling a blatant pass interference penalty on Dallas in the playoffs and then not only picking the flag up but not even saying why. 

I hate doing this, because this is where it always go when such an egregious bad call takes place... but... if you don't allow a 36 yard pass on 4th and 18, you aren't in position for the officials to burn you like this.  I mean... how the hell was Watkins that open?
You are correct. If this play doesn't happen, the field goal attempt doesn't happen. However, at the same time, if the refs don't miss the clock running out and the false start, the field goal attempt doesn't happen. Every play is important. 

You are correct. If this play doesn't happen, the field goal attempt doesn't happen. However, at the same time, if the refs don't miss the clock running out and the false start, the field goal attempt doesn't happen. Every play is important. 
Oh, I get it... but one of those plays was within the teams control, the other wasn't.  They never take care of what they can control.

I’m gonna stop responding bc I don’t want to have a nice season guy.
Hey Bobby, sorry about the loss yesterday, I was vocal in the 1st half of the MNF game last week in support of what they are doing up there and yesterday did nothing to change my opinion. The foundation is being poured and there will be days like yesterday but at least you were in position to win the game, you weren't blown out watching garbage time football and they were biting knee caps in the 1st half last week and the 2nd half this week, "Hang in there" 

-Tough loss and your feelings are very understandable as a lifelong Lions' fan. 

I love what Dan Campbell said at the presser on the non call for Delay of Game and i have seen this happen before similar to these situations where a big 4th Down or similar is converted late and in all the hoopla the Refs seem to forget the play #### or delay of game flags., this is not the first time. But here is the quote that i loved

"Yeah, there's nothing I can say to that," Campbell told reporters after the game, via Detroit Sports Nation. "Cause it's the same thing, tomorrow you will get an apology and it doesn't mean anything, you know? That's life and that's the hand we were dealt."

Wasn't the outcome pretty much best-case scenario for you guys? You played fairly well, hung in there with one of the better teams in the NFL, coulda/shoulda/woulda won the game if it wasn't for those meddling officials, but still are in the hunt for a (the) top draft pick. Win/win IMO.
The Lions looked a little better, yes. Growing pains to be expected, so steps in the right direction help. The defense contained Lamar decently, picking up sacks, pressure and even the rare INT.  The run defense (somewhat disregarding Lamar's 31 yard scramble) was better than week 1 but same to worse compared to week 2.

The offense only really showed up for a half -- again. Swift was a force, but Hock was taken away, leaving very obvious questions as far as who can produce for this team. Maybe Raymond can develop into something, but that's to be determined.

As for the final result? It's just too typical. We've seen this movie, over and over. It reminds Lions fans too much of previous years, previous regimes. The 4th and forever. The refs helped decide the contest by penalty (or lack thereof). The heartbreak. Hell, if I had two nickles for every time Justin Tucker hit a 60+ yard FG in Ford Field in the last 45 seconds, I'd have two nickles. Which isn't a lot, but it's SOL that it happened twice. 

I won't fully blame the refs or the fact that Sammy Watkins somehow ended up without double team. There are lots of little things that could've tipped it towards the Lions, like ANY scoring in the first half. Or maybe Marquise Brown makes two more catches, the Ravens lead 21-0 at half, and this line of conversation simply doesn't exist. But right now it's just another on the pile of incredibly horrific ways the Lions managed to lose, so you'll forgive us if some bitterness runs high.

Nobody wants to hear it today, but this is correct. If they win the game there would be people at the end of the year bemoaning it being the win that kept them from drafting a certain impact player. 

I’ll say this: at this too early to really be able to tell juncture, Dan Campbell & his staff is exceeding (admittedly low) expectations.

- They are playing hard and being competitive.I don’t expect too many Ws (3-5 seems likely) but I do see them fighting. 49ers game was bad (except for Penei + the offensive skill positions) but even in a blowout they showed out. We are nowhere near the talent level of the Packers & Ravens; played a great first half last week and a gear second half this week. Baby steps.

- Both lines are playing really well

- anyone who complains about Swift’s usage or the split with Jamaal doesn’t understand football. he’s on pace fir 295 touches and Williams takes a pounding, keeping him fresh and healthy.

- Hock had an off guy but IMO he’s a Top 3 TE

- we have put ten (10) guys on IR, with no position group getting hit harder than the DBs. Bobby Price and AJ Parker are playing well. When UDFAs hang with NFL WRs take a look at the coaches. Aubrey Pleasant must be a great teacher. 

he is a straight talker and holds people accountable, and relates well to the team. great motivator. may not be the best in game coach rn but headed in the right direction.

IMO

They do seem to be improving.

And that was toal bull with the bad delay of game call giving the game to Baltimore.

Campbell was right though, you can't give up the 4th down before though. Lions fans are some of the best in the country. God bless you folks. 
Thanks Joe for the visit and thanks for the encouragement. We have hope in Campbell/Holmes and the coaching staff.

Couldn't believe the boo birds came out when Sheila wanted to say a couple words during Megatron's ceremony.  What more do people want her to do? 

Was definitely great to see Calvin in the building he looks like he could suit up today.

Couldn't believe the boo birds came out when Sheila wanted to say a couple words during Megatron's ceremony.  What more do people want her to do? 

Was definitely great to see Calvin in the building he looks like he could suit up today.
:shrug:

The Giants honored Eli Manning yesterday, fans booed John Mara when he tried to speak.

For the umpteenth time, that Santa was drunk and an embarrassment to the City. Throwing snowballs was the only thing we could've done to defend our holiday traditions. We would have thrown batteries, but that was not in vogue yet.
Doesn't anyone ever think of the children?

They do seem to be improving.

And that was toal bull with the bad delay of game call giving the game to Baltimore.

Campbell was right though, you can't give up the 4th down before though. Lions fans are some of the best in the country. God bless you folks. 

Not only was it a delay of game but also the RG lifted up before the snap as well for a false start.

I like Campbells response.  no excuses, trying to change the culture and I think he will.  Team is void of talent from horribie Bob Quiins drafts.

The only thing that bothers me is after Detroit sacked Jackson and it was 4th and 19 with no TOs the Ravens were scrambling to get a play in and the right package and it was chaos.  Then Lions call a TO and let them regroup.

Still should not have given up a 4th and 19 but I truly believe it would have been tougher without the TO.

For the umpteenth time, that Santa was drunk and an embarrassment to the City. Throwing snowballs was the only thing we could've done to defend our holiday traditions. We would have thrown batteries, but that was not in vogue yet.
Former coworker of mine is a huge Eagles fan who gets really defensive whenever I bring up the Santa thing. After they won the Super Bowl, I told him I would lay off the Santa jokes ... but only because now I had the video of the fan in the street eating horse ####, which was way funnier.

Moonlight said:
I'm sorry Dan Campbell but you have got to call some plays that give you a chance to score a TD there. The good coaches will settle for a field goal if they have to. Also Santoso was a somewhat shaky option for a pressure FG.

Giving Lamar Jackson the ball with over a minute left and Tucker on the bench when the Ravens only needed a FG to win was risky.

You don't want to score a TD there, you want to kick a FG as time expires.  It was not a terrible move to make them burn their three timeouts, but they should have been more agressive at trying to get the first down so they could run out the clock completely.  

well if it means anything, you can still buy a 4br house for the price of a VCR in Detroit. oh, and as bad as they are, they'd beat the snot out of NYG and NYJ. 

I still see the same fecklessness with the Detroit coaching staff that we've seen since Fontes if not longer. 

Terrible take and woefully out of touch with what’s happening with this franchise.

You're not getting a lot of Ws this year. On the right track though, and this staff has a bunch of great teachers. Which is what you want for the second youngest roster in the league.

Really DGAF what people think about DC outside of the mitten. Great motivator and a no excuses, no bs, transparent HC. He’s the right guy for the rebuild IMO.

That’s readily apparent to anyone paying attention. We have a great offensive line and the D line is coming along really nicely - 4 sacks v one of the most elusive QBs. Need the linebackers to do a better job setting the edge and maintaining gap responsibility. Run defense is not where it needs to be at.

Can’t wait to see how Bobby Price and AJ Parker graded out this week. Incredibly good work from UDFAs we had no intention playing this year but they’ve stepped up to do a good job a LCB & Slot corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grades will take a day or two to finish review, but initial report from PFF:

DETROIT LIONS

Quarterbacks 

Jared Goff didn’t lose the game for Detroit, but he didn’t do anything to win the game, either. He completed 22-of-30 passes for 217 yards and zero touchdowns. He also didn’t record a single big-time throw or turnover-worthy play. His PFF grade will sit between 65.0 and 70.0 once the review process is complete.

Running Backs

It was tough sledding for the Lions’ backfield. BothD’Andre Swift and Jamaal Williams averaged less than 4.0 yards per carry, and more than 70 of their 89 combined rushing yards came after contact. Swift, however, was an obvious bright spot for the offense in the passing game. He caught all seven of his targets for 60 yards and forced three missed tackles on those receptions.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends

Veteran Kalif Raymond led the team in receiving with six receptions for 68 yards on 10 targets. Four of his receptions went for first downs, and he dropped just one of his targets. No other Lions wide receiver/tight end had more than 35 yards receiving.

Offensive Line

While center Frank Ragnow and right tackle Matt Nelson both turned in quality performances as run-blockers and in pass protection, the rest of Detroit’s offensive line struggled significantly. Penei Sewell, Jonah Jackson and Halapoulivaati Vaitai all earned PFF grades under 60.0 and allowed seven combined pressures on first review.

Defensive Line

Brothers Julian Okwara and Romeo Okwara were both impressive rushing off the edge against Baltimore. The duo combine for 10 total pressures, and veteran Charles Harris had six of his own. Rookies Alim McNeill and Levi Onwuzurike played sparingly, but neither impressed on the few snaps they did play. McNeill, specifically, will finish reviews as one of the Lions’ lowest-graded players.

Linebackers

Rookie Derrick Barnes allowed three receptions for 48 yards in the game, and all three receptions went for first downs. He will finish PFF’s grading reviews with a sub-40.0 PFF coverage grade. Alex Anzaloneand Jalen Reeves-Maybin also played significant snaps at linebacker for Detroit but will finish reviews with sub-65.0 PFF grades and three combined missed tackles.

Secondary

Tracy Walker and Amani Oruwariye were impressive on the back end for Detroit. The duo combined for six total tackles and missed none while allowing just 32 yards on four targets. Oruwariye was also gifted an interception from Jackson in the fourth quarter.

Always frustrating losing in historical ways but this year is not about winning. Come draft day we will be glad we lost that game. They are doing exactly what I was hoping for and that is competing on every down. That is what this year is about, learning how to compete for entire game. The talent is simply not there to hope for anything more. I like what I see so far as they have been fun to root for.

Should probably roll with Goff next year as well bc of the underwhelming QB class.

If they don’t screw up and win a few games Kayvon Thibodeaux is going to be a terror. If we end up closest to #5 take the best DB on the board - I’d even be OK with S bc that 6’4” 220 guy fm Notre Dame could be special.

Might end up with picks 32/33 if Stafford keeps up his SZN. Would love to see him win MVP & a ring. He deserves it after what he went through for 12 years..

Always frustrating losing in historical ways but this year is not about winning. Come draft day we will be glad we lost that game. They are doing exactly what I was hoping for and that is competing on every down. That is what this year is about, learning how to compete for entire game. The talent is simply not there to hope for anything more. I like what I see so far as they have been fun to root for.

I agree.   Lions got a bad call that cost them the game but it does not really matter.

It could come into play for other playoff teams battling Balitmore though.

Should probably roll with Goff next year as well bc of the underwhelming QB class.

If they don’t screw up and win a few games Kayvon Thibodeaux is going to be a terror. If we end up closest to #5 take the best DB on the board - I’d even be OK with S bc that 6’4” 220 guy fm Notre Dame could be special.

Might end up with picks 32/33 if Stafford keeps up his SZN. Would love to see him win MVP & a ring. He deserves it after what he went through for 12 years..
Yes, best talent on defense with the first pick. And maybe WR with the late Ram pick or Det 2nd rounder?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rinse and repeat this post most every year for the last 20+. 

I'm 100% in agreement with this. It just sucks that the QB class is this weak when we will have a high 1st round pick. 

I'm 100% in agreement with this. It just sucks that the QB class is this weak when we will have a high 1st round pick. 
Well it’s not like all hope is lost. Those first overall  picks don’t work out all the time - look at Goff, look at Mayfield. OK QBs but probably not the centerpiece to a Super Bowl champion. Well honestly with the talent on that roster Baker may prove me to be a liar.

Mahomes was the 10th pick, Watson was a 12 pick.

Anyway I hope next year is about continued roster construction - go get the alpha receiver, build up the D more, find some difference makers. I feel like it can sometimes be a hindrance if you get that QB too early. So look at Kansas City - they had the transitional QB, they build a great team, AND THENt they drafted the QB (who sat for a year.)

Users who are viewing this thread