What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL New Orleans Saints Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Is Drew Brees set to light things up this year with Payton back? Or are the o-line concerns, Colston and Moore aging, as well as Brees, going to take him down from QB #1?
Brees seems optimistic:

Drew Brees: Saints' first 'normal offseason' since 2009Video Link:

Drew Brees: 'This is our first normal offseason in four years'
06:39 – New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees joins "NFL AM" to discuss "The Top 100 Players of 2013," and what to expect from the Saints in their first "normal" offseason since 2009.
Saints head coach Sean Payton served two stints on the San Diego State coaching staff in the late 80s and early 90s. During his second go-around with the Aztecs, Payton was the running backs coach, working with ... Marshall Faulk, the 1992 Heisman Trophy runner-up. In 2011, New Orleans signed dynamic RB Darren Sproles, who must have reminded Payton of the running back he'd coached 20 years prior. In his first season with the team, Sproles gained an NFL record 2,696 yards, his fourth straight season with over 2,000 yards -- matching Faulk's record for most consecutive seasons with 2,000-plus yards gained.
Drew Brees is the only player in NFL history to throw for 4,500 yards in three consecutive seasons, including back-to-back 5,000-yard campaigns in 2011 and 2012. However, he's no one-trick pony. In 2011 -- when he threw for an NFL record 5,476 yards -- Brees also set another NFL record. That year, Brees completed 71.2 percent of his passes, besting a record he'd already set in 2009, giving him the two most accurate seasons in NFL history.
Since 2000, every passer under Saints head coach Sean Payton's guidance has thrown for over 3,000 yards. In addition to Brees -- who's done so every season since 2006 -- the three starting quarterbacks Payton's worked with -- Drew Bledsoe in 2005, Vinny Testaverde in 2004 and Quincy Carter in 2003 -- all surpassed the milestone. While in New York, Giants QB Kerry Collins accomplished the feat every season from 2000 to 2002.
Last season, Drew Brees broke Johnny Unitas' record for most consecutive games with a TD pass, doing so in 54 straight games. However, it wasn't the only touchdown record broken by Brees in 2012. Over the last five seasons (from 2008 to 2012) Brees has thrown 190 TD passes, an average of 38 per year. The NFL record over a five-year span is 190 touchdowns, besting the previous high of 176, accomplished most recently by Brett Favre from 1994 to 1998.
Just bolded some takeaways from the above article.

Is Drew Brees set to light things up this year with Payton back? Or are the o-line concerns, Colston and Moore aging, as well as Brees, going to take him down from QB #1?
Brees seems optimistic:

Drew Brees: Saints' first 'normal offseason' since 2009Video Link:

Drew Brees: 'This is our first normal offseason in four years'
06:39 – New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees joins "NFL AM" to discuss "The Top 100 Players of 2013," and what to expect from the Saints in their first "normal" offseason since 2009.
I think somewhere in here Brees points out that this is the first time things will be all normal in the offseason since `09:

2009 was the Super Bowl season, all offensive pieces in place, all coaches present, no offseason distractions

2010 - post SB insanity

2011 - lockout

2012 - bountygate-related-bs, no Sean Payton, confusion on interim & interim-interim HC's, plus contract dispute with Brees keeping him out of early offseason workouts

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the Saints will be a dangerous team this year once again. Sean Payton is out to make a point as is Drew Brees. As usual, the offense will be potent but I'm expecting another tough year for the defense.

I think the defense will improve (how can you not?) and produce more turnovers, but I still expect them to give up an insane amount of points. I just don't believe that you can turn DEs into LBs and expect them to excel.

New Orleans Saints: NFL's most fascinating team in 2013 season

By Adam Schein

Columnist, NFL.com

It's becoming an annual tradition here at NFL.com. Each summer, I seek out the league's most fascinating team for the upcoming season. I try to find a team that has intriguing storylines and potential drama, a team that has both a very high ceiling and a relatively low floor. Last offseason, I picked the Seattle Seahawks. This time around ...

Meet the 2013 New Orleans Saints, also known as the most fascinating team in the NFL.

Are they a seven-win squad with one of the league's worst defenses? Are they a 12-win bunch that should be taken as seriously as -- or more seriously than -- the Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots and New York Giants (other teams with elite, Super Bowl-winning combinations at quarterback and head coach)?

In New Orleans, of course, the fascination begins with the head man. Welcome back, coach. I can't wait for the Sean Payton Redemption Tour -- scowling, muttering, fist-pumping and generally swashbuckling his way through a wild ride.

Payton is a football junkie, and he was without his vice last year, serving a season-long suspension for his role in Bountygate. The Saints suffered. The league wasn't the same. Payton is a true difference maker, as one of the most intense, colorful and bold coaches in the NFL today. You know it was painful for him to miss a season. I thought the Saints would take a bit of a step back without Payton, but I didn't think they would crumble.

New Orleans missed his cocksure demeanor and accountability. Drew Brees and the offense missed his aggressive style and the rhythm of his play calling. Payton establishes an attitude and doesn't care what the pundits think. Go for it on fourth-and-3 from the Saints' own 35? Why not?! Payton was just forced to spend a year away from his passion, which gives you the sense that he's going to be even more intense and even more aggressive in calling offensive plays and managing the game. The Saints thrive on his mindset, even when it flies in the face of conventional wisdom. I think this season is going to be a 16-game reminder of what we missed last year.

Offensively, the Saints have the pieces to compete for another Super Bowl title. They have that aforementioned sensational pair at quarterback and head coach. I can't wait to see Brees and Payton working together again. Despite posting some gaudy numbers last year, Brees didn't enjoy as stellar a season as we're accustomed to seeing from the veteran star. You can chalk it up to Payton's absence or his own offseason holdout. In 2013, I think Brees is primed for a run at league MVP.

General manager Mickey Loomis has stockpiled incredible offensive talent around his franchise quarterback. Tight end Jimmy Graham is a freak, one of the most dangerous weapons in the entire league, and here's the scary part: I don't think the former basketball player has even reached his peak yet. Loomis stole Graham in 2010 NFL Draft. The very next offseason, Loomis pilfered Darren Sproles in free agency. The jitterbug is a terror in New Orleans' offense, and his explosiveness will be on full display yet again with Payton back as the maestro. Pierre Thomas is solid. Mark Ingram should be, the Saints hope, better. Meanwhile, Marques Colston anchors an underrated receiving corps, where Drew Brees' favorite target is the open target. One potential concern: The offensive line has gone through some personnel changes over the last few years. It will be interesting to see how this group gels.

Still, the bottom line is that I have a ton of confidence in this offense.

I do not have the same feeling with the Rob Ryan-led defense. Not even close.

Ryan has never coordinated an elite defense. I thought this was a head-scratching hire by the Saints. Suddenly, they want to play more of a 3-4. Unfortunately, they've drafted for a 4-3 through the years. Can Will Smith make the transition to outside linebacker after spending his entire career at defensive end? It's a major question, which is a common theme with this unit ...

How much does Jonathan Vilma have left in the tank? He loathed playing the 3-4 with the New York Jets (before getting traded to New Orleans). Are the cornerbacks good enough to deal with the top-flight receivers in the NFC South and on the rest of the schedule? Precedent says no. Can Ryan generate a consistent enough pass rush to help them out?

And of course, the overriding question: How will Ryan get along with Payton? Coupling those two attitudes, it certainly won't be boring. Neither man is known for shyness.

Finally, look at the schedule. I know: This is a pointless exercise. But it truly adds to the intrigue -- particularly, the opening stanza.

New Orleans kicks off the season at home against the rival Atlanta Falcons before hitting the road to face the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Are those should-win games for the Saints? Will they get both? Will they even win one? Before a bye in Week 7, New Orleans hosts the Arizona Cardinals and Miami Dolphins prior to roadies against the Chicago Bears and New England Patriots. Are the Dolphins more talented than the Saints? The Bears and Patriots are very similar to the Saints. Does this all add up to 5-2? 4-3? 3-4? 2-5? You could make very intelligent arguments all around.

Here's what I believe: Brees and Payton will be back with more swagger and carry the defense (which will be awful early ... before getting a bit better down the stretch). I think New Orleans should bounce back and win 9 or 10 games. These Saints will lose games you think they should win and win games they are expected to lose. Tampa Bay is very close, but New Orleans is the second-best team in the NFC South behind Atlanta. At least that's what I believe.

Here's one thing I know: It won't be boring in New Orleans.

When it comes to the 2013 Saints, fascination abounds.

Follow Adam Schein on Twitter @AdamSchein.

New Orleans Saints: NFL's most fascinating team in 2013 season

By Adam Schein

Columnist, NFL.com

It's becoming an annual tradition here at NFL.com. Each summer, I seek out the league's most fascinating team for the upcoming season. I try to find a team that has intriguing storylines and potential drama, a team that has both a very high ceiling and a relatively low floor. Last offseason, I picked the Seattle Seahawks. This time around ...

Meet the 2013 New Orleans Saints, also known as the most fascinating team in the NFL.

Are they a seven-win squad with one of the league's worst defenses? Are they a 12-win bunch that should be taken as seriously as -- or more seriously than -- the Green Bay Packers, New England Patriots and New York Giants (other teams with elite, Super Bowl-winning combinations at quarterback and head coach)?

In New Orleans, of course, the fascination begins with the head man. Welcome back, coach. I can't wait for the Sean Payton Redemption Tour -- scowling, muttering, fist-pumping and generally swashbuckling his way through a wild ride.

Payton is a football junkie, and he was without his vice last year, serving a season-long suspension for his role in Bountygate. The Saints suffered. The league wasn't the same. Payton is a true difference maker, as one of the most intense, colorful and bold coaches in the NFL today. You know it was painful for him to miss a season. I thought the Saints would take a bit of a step back without Payton, but I didn't think they would crumble.

New Orleans missed his cocksure demeanor and accountability. Drew Brees and the offense missed his aggressive style and the rhythm of his play calling. Payton establishes an attitude and doesn't care what the pundits think. Go for it on fourth-and-3 from the Saints' own 35? Why not?! Payton was just forced to spend a year away from his passion, which gives you the sense that he's going to be even more intense and even more aggressive in calling offensive plays and managing the game. The Saints thrive on his mindset, even when it flies in the face of conventional wisdom. I think this season is going to be a 16-game reminder of what we missed last year.

Offensively, the Saints have the pieces to compete for another Super Bowl title. They have that aforementioned sensational pair at quarterback and head coach. I can't wait to see Brees and Payton working together again. Despite posting some gaudy numbers last year, Brees didn't enjoy as stellar a season as we're accustomed to seeing from the veteran star. You can chalk it up to Payton's absence or his own offseason holdout. In 2013, I think Brees is primed for a run at league MVP.

General manager Mickey Loomis has stockpiled incredible offensive talent around his franchise quarterback. Tight end Jimmy Graham is a freak, one of the most dangerous weapons in the entire league, and here's the scary part: I don't think the former basketball player has even reached his peak yet. Loomis stole Graham in 2010 NFL Draft. The very next offseason, Loomis pilfered Darren Sproles in free agency. The jitterbug is a terror in New Orleans' offense, and his explosiveness will be on full display yet again with Payton back as the maestro. Pierre Thomas is solid. Mark Ingram should be, the Saints hope, better. Meanwhile, Marques Colston anchors an underrated receiving corps, where Drew Brees' favorite target is the open target. One potential concern: The offensive line has gone through some personnel changes over the last few years. It will be interesting to see how this group gels.

Still, the bottom line is that I have a ton of confidence in this offense.

I do not have the same feeling with the Rob Ryan-led defense. Not even close.

Ryan has never coordinated an elite defense. I thought this was a head-scratching hire by the Saints. Suddenly, they want to play more of a 3-4. Unfortunately, they've drafted for a 4-3 through the years. Can Will Smith make the transition to outside linebacker after spending his entire career at defensive end? It's a major question, which is a common theme with this unit ...

How much does Jonathan Vilma have left in the tank? He loathed playing the 3-4 with the New York Jets (before getting traded to New Orleans). Are the cornerbacks good enough to deal with the top-flight receivers in the NFC South and on the rest of the schedule? Precedent says no. Can Ryan generate a consistent enough pass rush to help them out?

And of course, the overriding question: How will Ryan get along with Payton? Coupling those two attitudes, it certainly won't be boring. Neither man is known for shyness.

Finally, look at the schedule. I know: This is a pointless exercise. But it truly adds to the intrigue -- particularly, the opening stanza.

New Orleans kicks off the season at home against the rival Atlanta Falcons before hitting the road to face the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Are those should-win games for the Saints? Will they get both? Will they even win one? Before a bye in Week 7, New Orleans hosts the Arizona Cardinals and Miami Dolphins prior to roadies against the Chicago Bears and New England Patriots. Are the Dolphins more talented than the Saints? The Bears and Patriots are very similar to the Saints. Does this all add up to 5-2? 4-3? 3-4? 2-5? You could make very intelligent arguments all around.

Here's what I believe: Brees and Payton will be back with more swagger and carry the defense (which will be awful early ... before getting a bit better down the stretch). I think New Orleans should bounce back and win 9 or 10 games. These Saints will lose games you think they should win and win games they are expected to lose. Tampa Bay is very close, but New Orleans is the second-best team in the NFC South behind Atlanta. At least that's what I believe.

Here's one thing I know: It won't be boring in New Orleans.

When it comes to the 2013 Saints, fascination abounds.

Follow Adam Schein on Twitter @AdamSchein.
Here's what I think: the Saints have beaten Atlanta well and often 11 of the last 14 games, one of which was pure luck on the Falcons' behalf and another last year that really was much closer than the final score indicated.

The Falcons open in New Orleans this year; if the Saints win and win big, watch out, it may likely be a 12-13 win season.

As many know no team has ever won the NFCS 2 years straight, though the Saints were closest to doing so 2009-2011, the sole difference being a single chip shot missed FG by Garrett Hartley.

i think the Saints need a good start because confidence is a fragile thing. We need to serve some kind of notice that we're back and better than ever. We have a pretty soft early schedule before a pretty brutal second half. A lot of tough games, especially on the road (@Seattle, for example), will keep things interesting for us down the stretch. I think Tampa and Carolina will be better but I'm not ready to concede anything to them. They have to earn it. Atlanta will have a great offense, I think, but a so-so defense. Carolina's defense ought to be downright nasty, if they can stay healthy.

Just some notes:

UDFA Ryan Griffith (QB, Tulane) threw 4 TDs in practice, he is looking good. One was very deep to Preston Parker.

Personally I think Parker or another WR may have a chance at unseating Roby this year.

Salim Hakim is the brother of Az-Zahir Hakeem and reportedly runs a 4.2.

LB Martez Wilson is a big part of the defensive puzzle and he is out 2-4 weeks with a dislocated elbow. Meanwhile UDFA LBs Eric Martin and Chase Thomas are looking very very good.

Keenan Lewis intercepted Brees on a deep pass to Joe Morgan the other day.

Charles Brown is leading the way at OLT, next is Armstead.

Colston has been out.

This is from Sean Payton's post-scrimmage presser:

Opening Statement: “I’m not going to go through a couple of the guys that went down until I find out. I will give you something Monday, when we are back in the afternoon. Overall, I thought the tempo was good against each other. There is kind of a fine line. You want to be healthy, yet you still want to see some full speed action. I think they handled that well. I thought defensively, we made some good plays. We had some turnovers. There were a few false starts, (and) some pre-snap penalties that we have to get cleaned up. This will be good film for our staff to evaluate and for the players to see when they come back in Monday. But we received enough snaps. It started getting warm, but I thought they battled the heat pretty well.”

It looks like the running game usually got positive yardage.

“One of the things we wanted to look at was two or three specific type runs. We were able to get about twelve to fifteen snaps and some of those slash plays. I thought defensively they did a pretty good job. If we got into the 2nd and long or 3rd and longs, there are chances there were a minus play or, like I alluded to earlier, a penalty. I thought there was some good plays made on both side of the ball, and I thought we got good work, so I was pleased with that.”

Looking at the running game. You look in the past, Pierre Thomas, being an undrafted player to make the roster and even last year, Travaris Cadet. Now looking at Khiry Robinson, he seems like he is trying to earn the trust factor with how hard he runs. Will you possibly give him twelve or fifteen carries in the preseason?

“Yes, he is one player (who has produced), and we read our players last night with the scouts. We went through 89 guys, maybe a little bit less than that. A couple of the guys haven’t practiced. We kind of just went through how things have been going, up to date, with training camp, and he is a player that we felt has really come around, mentally. In the spring, for a rookie, small school guy, there was a lot on his plate, but I feel like he is beginning to pick things up. He is explosive, and he can run. One of his strengths would be just his natural running ability. The area that he has gotten better yet is just the protections, understanding who to get, who to block, some of the nuances that comes with playing running back in this offense. I thought he made some pretty good runs out here. That wasn’t surprising, and I do think that he will be a guy in the preseason will have an ample opportunity in games to carry the football.”

I know Junior Galette is going to be seeing an increased role and had some good pass rushes. Is that kind of evidence of what you are expecting to see?

“Yeah he is playing one of those outside backer positions. I thought he had some good rush snaps. We will see on the film when we get a chance to look more specifically, but he is explosive and he is a big part of what we are planning on doing with the two outside guys.”

Overall, on the defense, five sacks and two picks, and a fumble recovery were recorded unofficially. How do you feel about that?

“I was pleased with the turnovers. That is something that we have been emphasizing. I thought they took advantage of those snaps. I had the officials blowing an early whistle. That can be a positive. It goes both ways. I felt like that was the way to go with the tempo we had. I thought we rushed the passer well, at times, and probably got into some long yardage situations a little bit too much for us, offensively. I was pleased with that element.”

One of the things that you said you wanted to look at was left tackle. What did you see?

“I want to watch the tape, first, because I am watching it from the sideline, and there is no way to really evaluate it until you get a chance to look at the video.”

Are you headed up to Canton today? Just talk about how excited you are to get up there and see your mentor get inducted.

“It is a special place. A year ago, we had a Saint (William Roaf) go in, and Cortez Kennedy who we knew went in. When someone that is close to you, or someone that has been a part of your career, is going into the Hall of Fame, it is pretty special. It becomes a little bit more meaningful. Obviously, Bill (Parcells) was someone that really helped me a lot in my career. To this date, I talk with him pretty frequently. I am excited for him and just (excited) to be there to help celebrate with him.”

It seems like Akiem Hicks is playing with a lot of confidence and aggression. Just talk about Akiem and what you expect from him, coming out this season.

“Well, he is powerful. He has good size, (and) long arms. He is continuing to improve and really work on the little things. Using his hands better and shedding. For him, there are a lot of snaps that he is behind compared to a lot of these players who played a lot more football up until the point when they got here. That being said, he is powerful, he is very strong. He is something that his explosiveness is something that you can notice on film. It is just now the small things, the detailing, pad level, use of hands and where he is placing them and how he is taking on blocks. That is the one thing that he is continuing to work on.”

Did you think Chris Carr had a nice scrimmage, today?

“Yes, he seemed to be around the ball. He is a veteran player who has real good instincts, so it is not surprising. Nonetheless, he found himself around the football a bunch.”

Is this kind of a breakthrough for him today?

“Well, I don’t know if it’s a breakthrough. He is a veteran player in our league, so he has played quite a bit, but it was a good scrimmage.”

What about Mark Ingram’s three runs in the first series and the way he pushed across the goal line. What did you think about that?

“It looked solid. It looked like he ran with good pad level. Again, when we look at the tape, we will have the chance to see the decisions that they made. I said this at the beginning, but I think that the tape will be valuable for the players and coaches. It is the first bit of film that we are looking at where they are really cutting loose, and we get a chance to see what a play gained or what it didn’t gain. So, that will be helpful.”

Did the run blocking make it seem like the running backs can hit the line of scrimmage with some momentum?

“We will see when we look at the tape.”

In other news - Steve Breaston signed with the Saints today.

Anyone who watched game 1 have any thoughts?
  • Very happy with Toon, I thought he looked great out there, like a pro. He looks like he could get comfortable with Brees and vice versa.
  • Brees went to Stills early and often and deep. I think it was not a great game for him in the end, I saw a drop on a big play deep (perfect pass from Brees), he fumbled a ball basically kicking it out of bounds on an end around, and I think there was another drop or missed route in there. Still, it was encouraging to see things clarify, it looked like Toon and Stills were the go to guys.
  • Preston Parker has looked good in camp and then he came up with 2 TDs, he really seems to have a shot.
  • Breaston only returned punts, he may have gotten in the game as WR but I don't recall seeing him.
  • Chris Carr returned punts, surprising.
  • Andy Tanner had a terrific seam reception, he looked good too.
  • Out of all this I think they still want a second deep threat WR, besides Stills I don't know if any of the above fit the exact bill. The Saints are ready to get back on the attack but they need another deep threat and Stills did not prove he can catch but he did prove he can get open, fast fast fast.
  • The defense has been criticized for their first drive performance. RW has a comment about them playing back or soft, I'm not so sure, it reminded me more of what the Skins did in in Game 1 last year, almost the exact same drive really, and that set the tone for the whole losuy year defensively. I hope that was a case of being vanilla.
  • After that the defense was great, allowing under 200 yards I believe, but it was all vs 2's and 3s I think. Good pressure from the D-Line but again these appeared to be backups vs backups.
  • I do believe that was Charles Brown I saw getting run over as Brees took a near sack.
  • No TDs for Brees as he played the first two drives.
  • There was a lot of Ingram early, and he was in for passing packages, I don't know what that signifies. He did look good, but as always he didn't look great.
  • RB Khiry Robinson looked really good, I really think he's being primed as the next Ivory, you may hear from him this year during WW season.
  • Armstead looks good.
  • Benjamin Watson will do some good things this year.
  • Alex Smith and Jamaal Charles looked terrific.
  • I think everyone feels better about letting Chase Daniel go, he did not do anything at all.

Wow, what an amazing guy. God bless his family and friends. The sacrifices they make speak to what a great person Gleason is. I can't believe they carried two men on that journey.

Ended up with a statistical defense that we haven't seen since the early 90's.

Shoulda woulda coulda

:kicksrock:
Weird thing is, on the road it occurred to me that they had more of the mindset and appearance of classic Buddy Ryan and Rex Ryan teams, close to the vest play calling combined with tough minded defense and close games with overly conservative calling at the ends of games.

#4 offense, #4 defense, #6 seed...sometimes the ball bounces that way. now try to prove people wrong and win outside on the road. gotta do it 4 times in a row to get the Lombardi.

#4 offense, #4 defense, #6 seed...sometimes the ball bounces that way. now try to prove people wrong and win outside on the road. gotta do it 4 times in a row to get the Lombardi.
Blew dat hfa.

Regardless, glad you guys get to travel to Seattle and hope you win.

Yeah, you know what, I agree.

I'm okay with this.

This is a team, program, staff that prides itself on hitting benchmarks and goals.

So, ok, people say you can't win on the road and in fact the franchise has never had a road playoff win. So do that, no time like the present.

I like Philly too, they have been a fun team to watch, great stuff, I'm looking forward to the game.

If they make it to Seattle, they can face down their demons; let it roll, it's good to be in the show right now no matter what.

All I know is that I'm glad I don't have to root for Atlanta and Dallas anymore. That felt strange. I can imagine reluctant gay sex feels a lot like that.

Saints +2.5 opening line. Saints are the superior team, but forecast calls for low 20s, which is brutal by Louisiana standards. I figure we'll need to score 22+ to win. I don't expect Payton to change his stripes this far into the season, and play some type of smash mouth game. So I believe it comes down to which Brees shows up. Drew is known to throw up a clonker on the road especially in the cold. If we can avoid that Drew we should be able come out with the win. Philly is giving up the most passing yards in the league, but we need to run at least 40 percent of time to keep the heat off Drew. And you could run on them you just have to be consistent with it, and that's where Payton scares me.

As far as defensively, I think can put some pressure on Foles, limiting his ability to hit Jackson deep, which will be needed with Harper back in the lineup. So that leaves containing McCoy. I don't think we stop him, but if we could limit the big plays, we'll be alright.

Saints +2.5 opening line. Saints are the superior team, but forecast calls for low 20s, which is brutal by Louisiana standards. I figure we'll need to score 22+ to win. I don't expect Payton to change his stripes this far into the season, and play some type of smash mouth game. So I believe it comes down to which Brees shows up. Drew is known to throw up a clonker on the road especially in the cold. If we can avoid that Drew we should be able come out with the win. Philly is giving up the most passing yards in the league, but we need to run at least 40 percent of time to keep the heat off Drew. And you could run on them you just have to be consistent with it, and that's where Payton scares me.

As far as defensively, I think can put some pressure on Foles, limiting his ability to hit Jackson deep, which will be needed with Harper back in the lineup. So that leaves containing McCoy. I don't think we stop him, but if we could limit the big plays, we'll be alright.
It's definitely winnable for the Saints, I would just like to see the offensive firepower we see at home show up just once on the road.

That'd be like winning the Powerball four times in one year.
The 2010 Packers pulled this off with a similarly high-ranked offense and defense. I'm certainly not predicting anything, but at least we know it can be done.

We've had a lot of disappointing finishes this season, but clearly the defense is no longer a liability so there's some reason for hope. It was great to see Graham moving better over the last two weeks and some receivers other than Colston making catches.

We've got to get over these slow starts on offense (that first drive TD against Tampa was the first we've had since week 4). The defense is absolutely good enough to hold a lead but we haven't been giving them any. It would also be nice to finally get some takeaways - it's almost unbelievable how few we've seen (just 4 in the last 9 games?!). Just one takeaway in one of our losses could have swung our entire season.

Philly is a tough matchup. I wish we had played them during the regular season so we could already have a taste of the blur offense because I expect Kelly has a few extra tricks up his sleeve that we won't be ready for. I think we can make plays on their defense, especially over the middle where Brees prefers.

The good news is that Kelly doesn't care about time of possession. *IF* we fall behind then we will have opportunities to get back into the game but we can't give them a huge lead. They have an overly aggressive defense that will allow big plays too (see Dallas on that last scoring drive) too. We'll get our chances, I think, and can pull off the upset. Should be an entertaining game regardless.

Feeling good about the Eagles game.

The teams that have historically given the Saints trouble on the road have been those with great defensive lines, great running games, and defenses capable of getting TOs off Brees.

PHI doesn't seem to fall into the Seahawks, Panthers, Jets, Rams style. - Obviously, awesome run game in Philly, and Philly has been excellent in the takeaway department, but overall I think this could be a shootout type situation the Saints can be very comfortable with.

Rotoworld:

The 2013 Saints are the first team in league history to field four players who caught 70-plus balls.

Jimmy Graham led the unit with 86 catches, nine more than runner-up Pierre Thomas. Marques Colston tallied 75, and Darren Sproles had 71. The overall team production was outstanding, but fantasy consistency was elusive for Saints skill-position players throughout the regular season, and this explains why. "Spread the wealth," said a smiling Drew Brees when told of the stat.

Source: ESPN.com

Adam Harstad referred to this in the Super Bowl predictions thread, but thought it would be worth reposting here:

NO compares most favorably to the 1995 Cowboys and the 2005 Steelers, among several others.

To compare teams to past teams that have had success (or failure) in the playoffs, I calculated a league adjusted pass offense and defense based on adjusted net yards per attempt, and also used the simple rating system and team record. One thing that stands out–no team that has won a Super Bowl since 1990 had a league average or worse pass defense in the regular season. We’ve seen teams that were only slightly above average in the regular season have success and get hot. None of those teams, though, were bad defensively against the pass. The two worst defenses in the regular season against the pass (both with ANYA+ scores of 103) were the 2011 Giants and the 1998 Broncos. The Giants had a lot of injuries in the regular season and got healthy at the end of the year. The Broncos had a lot of veterans and relied on a strong offense. The 2013 version of Denver’s team hopes to displace that one, because if Denver wins the title, they will have the worst pass defense to do so (same would be true of Green Bay, Philadelphia, and San Diego).

Here are the ten most similar teams to each playoff team, organized by playoff win percentage of the comparable teams.

It should be no surprise that Seattle fares the best. Dominant pass defense, lots of wins, and a good offense. Four teams on the list won the Super Bowl, easily the most of all playoff teams. Seattle is your favorite and I’m not sure I can add to that.

The next on the list, though, probably does. The Saints cannot win on the road. They will have to win three on the road just to get to an outdoor game in New York. They struggled down the stretch and could not close out big games against New England and Carolina.

So what does it see? They are a very good passing team that is also pretty good defensively against the pass. The Saints have a really good point differential, and a healthy number of wins. Now, this team has secondary injuries, and has to go on the road. I don’t necessarily like the Saints’ chances as a dome team having to win four outdoor games, but I do like their chances more than the general thought about what the Saints can do.
http://thebiglead.com/2014/01/02/nfl-2013-which-teams-fit-the-profile-of-past-super-bowl-winners/

Yeah, anyone with a working brain could see the Saints have a championship team. But if Graham missed that field goal, everything would be different.

Harrelson now out. - That means Herring and Humber in on all kinds of situations - Yikes. Those guys are gutsy and fast but they are not run stoppers or pass rushers on the order of Harrelson. I saw Humber in there on the McCoy TD run and he was out of the play.

Getting Lewis back now is absolutely crucial. He sure looked like he could have gone back in last night, I think he'll be ok.

I think we're going to see much more Lynch this game.

Yeah, anyone with a working brain could see the Saints have a championship team. But if Graham missed that field goal, everything would be different.
Yeah, well if Hartley makes kicks vs the Jets and Rams maybe the Saints would have won the division and gotten a bye in the first place.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
valhallan said:
Yeah, well if Hartley makes kicks vs the Jets and Rams maybe the Saints would have won the division and gotten a bye in the first place.
My point was the 'can't play on the road, can't play in the cold' rhetoric would still be going if he missed the kick. It's all silly. This is a good team on both sides of the ball. There's no fundamental inability to play well on the road.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
valhallan said:
My point was the 'can't play on the road, can't play in the cold' rhetoric would still be going if he missed the kick. It's all silly. This is a good team on both sides of the ball. There's no fundamental inability to play well on the road.
Stat was earlier in the year the Saints have had the best road record since 2009. - The best. Not sure if that's still the case, but if not it's near best. They are 6th best on the road since 2002, also excellent and obviously even dates pre-Payton.

This year is looking to have the most turnover on the Saints offensive roster since 2006.

The team retooled the defense last year, maybe that is what's going on on offense this year.

The team was in mourning beyond the usual after the 2011 playoff loss to SF, it wasn't just the loss, or the lousy way they lost it, but the sense that their window for winning the SB had closed.

It turns out that under Payton the Saints have now had 3 straight playoff losses to the NFCW - @SEA-@SF-@SEA. And besides that there have also been road losses to vastly inferior ARI (2011) and StL teams (2011 & 2013) as well as the horrible regular season 2013 loss @ SEA.

Nonetheless, IMO, the SEA loss left a lot to be proud of, I though NO played SEA better than SF and was the 2nd or 3rd best team in the league when all was said and done, definitely Top-5. They definitely could have beaten SEA, just 2 FGA's and a FL by Ingram separated NO from SEA.

At RB, Robinson and Ingram stay. Cadet is a maybe, so 2-3 roster spots open, 4 if you count Collins/FB.

At WR: Colston and Stills stay. Everyone else is open to being cut. As many as 4 roster spots open.

At TE: I really wonder if Josh Hill is the future, or if they look for another TE3 (or even a TE1 if Jimmy stays out).

At OL: Armstead, Grubbs, Evans stay. Everyone else's spot is wide open: C, RT, backup G/T's may be positions of need. Maybe 3-4 roster spots open.

I take it there will not be much FA spending. That is a lot of work to do in a short period of time.

ETA: it looks like with all the cuts cap space is building quickly.

The Saints will be featuring one hell of a secondary next year with Vaccaro, Byrd and Lewis.

They will be bringing back Butler, Jordan, Hicks, Galette - this could be awesome.

The Saints will be featuring one hell of a secondary next year with Vaccaro, Byrd and Lewis.

They will be bringing back Butler, Jordan, Hicks, Galette - this could be awesome.
Could very well be the best defense in franchise history. Just gotta stay healthy now.
Actually it may very well be.

2009 featured turnovers in bushels and I think that's something Byrd can help provide.

But it's almost starting to seem like a Ryan team. I'm really curious if we see the offense we are used to this year, all this ball control and ground game focus is starting to scare ma a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread