What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (5 Viewers)

I would be curious to know if he was ever offered a settlement and a reduction of games.

If his team went to the mattresses on this, that's a head scratcher

Everything is natural.
Everything is a result of the universe, but the word isn't limited to that definition.
Yeah, I'm being silly. Although if someone wanted to be argumentative, they could say that today's weed is about as natural as Roundup Ready soybeans, corn, etc. which most people think are quite unnatural. I think a better approach is to talk about the societal benefits vs risks of the plant.

Have to believe that IF Gordon's team is taking this to court, it's already been worked on for weeks now...
You realize you used this same rationale with the appeal right? That his stud legal team wouldn't have taken this case if it wasn't something they would win?

NEWSFLASH: Lawyers like making money.

It would be amazing if he got the injunction and motivated, blew the F up just for the drama.

Him and Johnny football marching to postseason.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gordon lawyers now must wait well over a year and a 1/2 to see if they hit the lotto although I think they would be best to cut their losses. This guy may never get a bigtime contract now. He could easily be year to year.

At least the greedy lawyers got nothing out of this one.

He may as well get his DUI over with as well.

It would be amazing if he got the injunction and motivated, blew the F up just for the drama.

Him and Johnny football marching to postseason.
It'd also be amazing if the rams signed Tim Tebow and he broke all of Manning's records while at the same time Micheal Sam broke Strahan's sack record as a rookie, on the way to another improbable cinderella Rams super bowl win

or if Jerry Jones concentrated on exotic dancers and stopped screwin up the Cowboys

Have to believe that IF Gordon's team is taking this to court, it's already been worked on for weeks now...
Maybe that's why "his" statement reads the way it does...
yup. he was none to remorseful to the NFL. took a solid jab w his comment.

seems all lined up for some lawsuit actionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

I dont care if he wins or not, so long as he steps on that field this season

NJ said:
Watching NFL Network and Ian Rapoport just said that the suspension is for the 2014 season, specifically said it was NOT 365 days and he is eligible to return to the team earlier than 1 calendar year if he keeps his nose clean.
what does NJ stand for?

At this point, maybe we can shift the conversation back to his prospects going forward. Does Cleveland release him? Is there a plan in place to keep him out of trouble?

Maybe Gordon can argue that Henderson is not actually an 'arbitrator' but...

[Ohio Law]

2711.04 Appointment of arbitrator.

If, in the arbitration agreement, provision is made for a method of naming or appointing an arbitrator or an umpire, such method shall be followed.
[/Ohio Law]

For those wondering when Josh Gordon's legal team will do this and that.... are the Browns subsidizing this legal battle?

Pretty sure his 2 mill signing bonus is spent and he didn't collect a whole bunch of game checks because of missed games.

He's going to also collect nothing in salary for the rest of 2014...

:shrug:

Maybe Gordon can argue that Henderson is not actually an 'arbitrator' but...

[Ohio Law]

2711.04 Appointment of arbitrator.

If, in the arbitration agreement, provision is made for a method of naming or appointing an arbitrator or an umpire, such method shall be followed.
[/Ohio Law]
what is NY law? Where did the hearing occur? We know the NFL offices are there

For those wondering when Josh Gordon's legal team will do this and that.... are the Browns subsidizing this legal battle?

Pretty sure his 2 mill signing bonus is spent and he didn't collect a whole bunch of game checks because of missed games.

He's going to also collect nothing in salary for the rest of 2014...

:shrug:
Can you say arena football?

At this point, maybe we can shift the conversation back to his prospects going forward. Does Cleveland release him? Is there a plan in place to keep him out of trouble?
He can't have any contact with the team.No reason for the Beowns to cut him.
Is there a financial benefit for the Browns to cut him? Can they trade him?
No. Gordon doesn't get paid and he doesn't take up a roster spot. Literally no incentive to cut him.

And no, they can't trade him either, unless soulfly gets hired as a GM of an NFL team.

At this point, maybe we can shift the conversation back to his prospects going forward. Does Cleveland release him?
No. No reason for them to I don't believe. I don't think he counts towards the roster, they don't have to pay him anything. If they want him to play for them again, no reason to.

Is there a plan in place to keep him out of trouble?
Yes. Just because the Browns can't be working with him directly doesn't mean they didn't set up support for him for the suspension:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Browns-preparing-support-system-for-Josh-Gordon.html

Browns preparing support system for Josh GordonWide receiver facing potential season-long suspension Aaron Wilson

Print This August 14, 2014, 10:25 AM EST
Cleveland Browns star wide receiver Josh Gordon is facing a potential season-long suspension for violating the NFL drug policy.

He has appealed the suspension, and lawyers have pleaded his case.

It's now in the hands of the NFL.

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Browns are making plans for Gordon should be he separated from the team.

The Browns encouraged Gordon to seek treatment after his driving while intoxicated arrest. They have also talked to John Lucas about care for Gordon.

matttyl said:
So the next screw up is a full lifetime ban, correct? Any chance of a conviction on the DUI charge (pushed to November) being that next screw up? Could have already have a lifetime suspension without any further infractions?
IIRC this is technically the 'lifetime' ban. But players can apply for reinstatement and typically get it if they haven't been in trouble.

OK, so how many times per month does Gordon have to piss in a cup now? This dude is essentially unemployed now with lots and lots of free time. I presume he's still rich (or at least he thinks he is). These are bad combinations.

I also fully expect that scene from Half Baked where the rest of the support group gets mad at his weed addiction to happen. Hopefully Bob Saget can make a cameo.

The General said:
Just landed in Seattle, cross country flight that got me up way to early. Gonna finish up a bit of work, get a light workout in, pickup some stuff to grill and then decide if I want to smoke a bowl or have a bourbon.
if i were in your shoes i would do both.

No offense, but do his fans really want him to sue? I think what he could "do" for his fans is to obey the rules, be a good role model, and stay on the field for his team.
I can only speak for myself, but as a fan, I want to see TDs and amazing catches. I don't care if he's a role model and I don't care if he smokes week in his free time. I also feel that he has no obligation to me, simply because I am a fan.

Gordon has at least 800k in salary on the line. I would expect he'd file a lawsuit even if it only has a slim chance of succeeding. Unless there is something else he stands to gain by not filing one, all he's out is more lawyer fees. Which granted, might be a lot.

But anyway, weigh his chances of succeeding on the details that come out about the basis of the lawsuit. Don't weigh his chances based on "he's filing a lawsuit so therefore he MUST have something that will win". Just like "he's filing an appeal so therefore he MUST have something that will win" and "he hired Suh who is good so to take the case Suh MUST have something that will win" didn't turn out to be very good ways to judge things on the appeal. Not when everything else we knew about it didn't seem likely to win an appeal.

Maurile Tremblay said:
Bayhawks said:
I'm told that the author admitted on twitter that his main argument (about Ohio law) was wrong. I don't really do twitter, so I didn't see it.
From checking out his Twitter feed, I highly doubt he admitted his argument was wrong. He seems to believe 100% that Gordon should file for a TRO and would win.

No offense, but do his fans really want him to sue? I think what he could "do" for his fans is to obey the rules, be a good role model, and stay on the field for his team.
I can only speak for myself, but as a fan, I want to see TDs and amazing catches. I don't care if he's a role model and I don't care if he smokes week in his free time. I also feel that he has no obligation to me, simply because I am a fan.
Right. But at some point, rules have to matter and violating rules over and over have to matter. Players supported the rules and punishments. Gordon valued pot over catching TDs for his team and making money. He's an idiot and this is the unfortunate and inevitable consequence.And don't fret too much. You'll see plenty of TDs this year.

Users who are viewing this thread