What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (13 Viewers)

Kind of stopped tracking this once the 10 game suspension came out, have a missed something?:

"Good morning, let's get in shape.. #6games #probowl ?"

6 games?

"Back to Cleveland.. How cold is it?"

Does this mean he, for some reason, is allowed back with the team? Why else would someone want to go to Cleveland.

Taken from Gordon's twitter.
I believe that the 6 games refers to the 6 games that he will be allowed to play.

There are also rumors that the terms of the suspension will allow him to practice and/or be with the team.

All of this is still speculation.

Kind of stopped tracking this once the 10 game suspension came out, have a missed something?:

6 games?

Does this mean he, for some reason, is allowed back with the team? Why else would someone want to go to Cleveland.

I believe that the 6 games refers to the 6 games that he will be allowed to play.

There are also rumors that the terms of the suspension will allow him to practice and/or be with the team.

All of this is still speculation.
When I did the math in my head, 6 games after the suspension didn't seem right, that probably has to do with no going to sleep last night.

6 games?

Wait, isn't he working at a car dealership in Cleveland?

He's now allowed to be around the team, but not practice. Don't you people read?
No, not at this point, he's not.

If the new policy gets finalized, that is reported to be the case, but as of right now, he's still suspended for a year under the current policy, and therefore, he can't be around the team, or it's facilities, nor can he practice.

Don't you read?

Last edited by a moderator:
He's now allowed to be around the team, but not practice. Don't you people read?

If the new policy gets finalized, that is reported to be the case, but as of right now, he's still suspended for a year under the current policy, and therefore, he can't be around the team, or it's facilities, nor can he practice.

Don't you read?
annnnnnd so it is a surprise that he is going to celveland as the new policy gets finalized, because one would think he would stay away to the absolute last second??

he's gonna be back with the team but suspended, he's getting prepared to catch up on what he can and get acclimated to the team again, it is to be expectred

sure, he is abandoning his bright career as a used car salesman, but i think it is the right choice

Don't you read?
annnnnnd so it is a surprise that he is going to celveland as the new policy gets finalized, because one would think he would stay away to the absolute last second??

he's gonna be back with the team but suspended, he's getting prepared to catch up on what he can and get acclimated to the team again, it is to be expectred

sure, he is abandoning his bright career as a used car salesman, but i think it is the right choice
Right before the 2015 Camry arrives?

I think not.

Someone on TV was saying violations of the substance abuse policy, the player is allowed back around the team. But violations of the PED policy they are still completely barred from interaction with the team. Think it might have been someone on ESPN referencing Robert Mathis.

Don't you read?

Seriously, don't you read?

The phrase "not at this point," indicates the present. Gordon, at present, can't be at the Brown's facilities.

IF a new policy gets finalized, then (according to reports), he will be able to be at the facilities, but the last report I heard said if/when the NFL and NFLPA agree to terms, it could take several more weeks to finalize the language in the agreement. So, even IF an agreement is reached, it could take several weeks before Gordon can be at the Browns' facilities.

Just because Gordon is tweeting and/or returning to Cleveland doesn't mean he can be at their facilities, AT THIS POINT.

The rumor about him being able to practice with the team changes everything in my eyes. Makes him enormously valuable
From everything I've read/heard, he WILL NOT be able to practice with the team until his suspension is up. IF the new deal gets finalized, there are reports that he will be allowed at team facilities, but he won't be allowed to attend practices, game-plan sessions, etc. Essentially, he'll be allowed to use the facilities for rehab/work outs & other things of that nature.

Again, this is if/when a new deal gets finalized, and the latest reports are that this could be several weeks away (before all the language of an agreement gets done).

Ok, real news.

Here's my take, while he could have certainly delayed this , he owned it, good for him.

Will the league add to his looming 10 game suspension or credit him with time served?

If they tac on 2 more games, it's actually a positive for the Browns as they retain his rights for another year, ( you have to play 6 to get credited with a contract yr)And get to use him for the remaining 4 games to build chemistry with Manziel, who,will likely be the QB by then.

Fantasy wise, he's there for the playoffs and after all the machinations over whether you play him or not because he could be rusty, stop it, you play him with confidence.

I'm confuzzled by this. Assuming his previous suspension is being cut to 10 games, that leaves him 6 this year to accrue a year towards free agency. It would seem like this move would put that in jeopardy. I'd have expected him to try to push the trial back further.

It seems an odd enough move I'm wondering if there is something else in the changed policy that is going to impact it somehow.

I guess a .09 DOES count as being over the limit, and it's not so easy to get a DWI charge dismissed, huh?

I don't see this could have been factored into the previous reports of a 10 game suspension (if the new deal is reached), since those reports also suggested that the NFL had given up on the idea of punishing players for DUI/DWI charges BEFORE the court process had concluded. That would suggest that a penalty for this DUI would be additional?

He's becoming less & less valuable for this year, the more reports we get. That being said, in dynasty terms, if the new rules/threshold levels go into effect, it gives me more confidence that he can pass his drug tests in the future (not total confidence, but more confidence).

I guess a .09 DOES count as being over the limit, and it's not so easy to get a DWI charge dismissed, huh?

I don't see this could have been factored into the previous reports of a 10 game suspension (if the new deal is reached), since those reports also suggested that the NFL had given up on the idea of punishing players for DUI/DWI charges BEFORE the court process had concluded. That would suggest that a penalty for this DUI would be additional?

He's becoming less & less valuable for this year, the more reports we get. That being said, in dynasty terms, if the new rules/threshold levels go into effect, it gives me more confidence that he can pass his drug tests in the future (not total confidence, but more confidence).
Less valuable than suspended for the entire season?

And it is easy for most to get a .09 pled down. Josh Gordon in 2014, maybe not so much.

Less valuable than suspended for the entire season?

And it is easy for most to get a .09 pled down. Josh Gordon in 2014, maybe not so much.
Not in NC, as was pointed out (and ignored by Gordon-ites) many times, earlier in this thread.

And, yes, if he now gets 2 more games tacked onto his 10 game suspension, he is less valuable than if he "only" gets 10 games. But no, not less valuable than a full 16 game suspension.

.08 is the limit, so .09 would count as being over the limit. NC has strict DWI laws, and it is not easy to get one dismissed. The D.A.s and judges are more reluctant these days of dismissing the cases. They are all elected officials, and MADD lets it be known during election time which ones went easy on DWI defendants.

.08 is the limit, so .09 would count as being over the limit. NC has strict DWI laws, and it is not easy to get one dismissed. The D.A.s and judges are more reluctant these days of dismissing the cases. They are all elected officials, and MADD lets it be known during election time which ones went easy on DWI defendants.
Yes, I know. Go back about 40-50 pages, and you will find a number of Gordon supporters saying the DWI charge was "no big deal," and that he'd just get it dismissed/plead it out, and it wouldn't cause him to be disciplined by the NFL. Links refuting this (essentially saying what you said) were provided, but they ignored them.

Yes, I know. Go back about 40-50 pages, and you will find a number of Gordon supporters saying the DWI charge was "no big deal," and that he'd just get it dismissed/plead it out, and it wouldn't cause him to be disciplined by the NFL. Links refuting this (essentially saying what you said) were provided, but they ignored them.
While your going back to those pages also note how many times you posted he was gone for all of 2014.

Gordon owned up to his deeds, and he plays in 2014, not a bad outcome all in all.

He just pleaded guilty to DWI in Raleigh, NC. I assume this means 2 more game suspension?
Interesting. I don't think he would have done that unless he were able to serve the suspensions concurrently. I could be wrong.
I would have to think that Rosenhaus would never allow him to do so, if some kind of arrangement like that wasn't worked out. He would basically be screwing himself by pushing his free agency out another year.

I'm confuzzled by this. Assuming his previous suspension is being cut to 10 games, that leaves him 6 this year to accrue a year towards free agency. It would seem like this move would put that in jeopardy. I'd have expected him to try to push the trial back further.

It seems an odd enough move I'm wondering if there is something else in the changed policy that is going to impact it somehow.
This was my first thought as well. Puzzling...

While your going back to those pages also note how many times you posted he was gone for all of 2014.

Gordon owned up to his deeds, and he plays in 2014, not a bad outcome all in all.
While I'm doing that, why don't you note how many times you posted he wouldn't be suspended, would only get 4-6 games, the NFL was at fault for his failed test because of "mis-communication," argued that his DWI would be pushed back until 2015, wouldn't be a suspension this year, etc, etc. You were wrong in just about EVERYTHING you posted in this thread.

And, Gordon still is gone for all of 2014. Until a new policy is finalized, that hasn't changed.

No suspension for DWI because he plead guilty prior to the new policy, which isn't retroactive. Nice.

The PFT article:

Some portions of the new drug policy will be retroactive. Some won’t.

Browns receiver Josh Gordon has pleaded guilty to driving while impaired. Under the new drug policy, a first offense will trigger a two-game suspension. Under the old drug policy, a first offense results in no suspension and a maximum fine of $50,000.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Gordon pleaded guilty now to ensure that he will not receive a two-game suspension for the DUI charges.

The guilty plea was submitted by Gordon’s lawyer; he was not required to appear personally in court. In exchange for the plea, Gordon received a 60-day suspended sentence. He also must pay a $100 fine. His driver’s license has been suspended.

Gordon is expected to be suspended a total of 10 games under the new substance-abuse policy. Previously, he had been suspended for the entire 2014 season.

Maybe he's putting it behind him and clearing the decks. Good for him if so. I would like to think they would not do anything to put his contract year in jeopardy.

The PFT article:

Browns receiver Josh Gordon has pleaded guilty to driving while impaired. Under the new drug policy, a first offense will trigger a two-game suspension. Under the old drug policy, a first offense results in no suspension and a maximum fine of $50,000.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Gordon pleaded guilty now to ensure that he will not receive a two-game suspension for the DUI charges.

The guilty plea was submitted by Gordon’s lawyer; he was not required to appear personally in court. In exchange for the plea, Gordon received a 60-day suspended sentence. He also must pay a $100 fine. His driver’s license has been suspended.

Gordon is expected to be suspended a total of 10 games under the new substance-abuse policy. Previously, he had been suspended for the entire 2014 season.
Maybe it's a wash then, I had previously thought it possible he would get 8 games for the MJ and then another 2 games for the drinking.

The PFT article:

I knew Rosenhaus was too smart to make such a dumb mistake.

That makes sense. Provisions of the new policy that are harsher than the old policy shouldn't be retroactive.

Good thing for Gordon that the new policy hasn't been enacted yet.

Because nothing about the Josh Gordon situation is allowed to be straightforward...

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 5m

Caveat on the Gordon guilty plea -- old drug policy could trigger suspension for first-offense DUI based on other substance-abuse issues.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 4m

But a suspension under the old policy won't be automatic. Under the new policy, two-game suspension for first-offense DUI will be.
So apparently there is still a chance he could still get suspended for the DWI under the old policy. But his odds are better than with the new policy's automatic suspension.

That makes sense. Provisions of the new policy that are harsher than the old policy shouldn't be retroactive.

Good thing for Gordon that the new policy hasn't been enacted yet.
Gordon needs to thank his lucky stars. If he can stay clean and not fail a test, he may be able to save his career and be an elite Top 3 WR like he was on his way to until he had to light up.

Wish I would have bit on some deals I was offered to acquire him in dynasty, more so wish I would have picked him up in all my redrafts off waivers before it was too late.

wonder how many of the gordon haters are in support of peterson. id bet there is a ton of overlap.
A pot smoker vs child abuser... if you "hate" someone for smoking pot, you've got issues.
I've seen just one person (i.e. Ditka Butkus) present a principled objection as to why Gordon's suspension shouldn't be reduced (or eliminated). Most others crying foul likely did so for purely selfish reasons, e.g., they traded Gordon in their dynasty league and they didn't stash him in their redraft league.

Because nothing about the Josh Gordon situation is allowed to be straightforward...

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 5m

Caveat on the Gordon guilty plea -- old drug policy could trigger suspension for first-offense DUI based on other substance-abuse issues.

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 4m

But a suspension under the old policy won't be automatic. Under the new policy, two-game suspension for first-offense DUI will be.
So apparently there is still a chance he could still get suspended for the DWI under the old policy. But his odds are better than with the new policy's automatic suspension.
yeah, that's what I didn't understand . I thought he was already in Phase 3 of the substance abuse policy and any mis-step triggeed a longer suspension.

wonder how many of the gordon haters are in support of peterson. id bet there is a ton of overlap.
I don't think anyone hates Gordon, and I don't see too many people supporting Peterson.
I support Gordon but despise Peterson, and I loved Peterson until I saw photos of a child my sons age with cuts from the hands of Peterson. He should never be allowed to play another down and I do not need courts to tell me how he treated that child was wrong. Not only that, he had another child he was investigated for abusing and never saw another one who was murdered at the hands of another man.

Reasonable people can make reasonable assessments from evidence available to the public. I know no amount of evidence can come out to tell me a child needs to have scares left on his body to learn right from wrong and that Peterson is a good father.

A pot smoker vs child abuser... if you "hate" someone for smoking pot, you've got issues.
I've seen one person (i.e. Ditka Butkus) present a principled objection to Gordon's reduced suspension. Most others crying foul likely did so for purely selfish reasons, e.g., they traded Gordon in their dynasty league and they didn't stash him in their redraft league.
I will be ridiculed for how I try to motivate and hold out positivity on this board as my time here grows longer. But I will never judge a player based of if he is on my team or not and I will never want to see a player not do great, given certain situations.

People with common understanding know weed is not abuse of a child or a woman, if that has to be explained to them, why waste your time? They are not in the same realm of discussion as you so just leave it be.

Users who are viewing this thread