What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (17 Viewers)

Can anyone think of a team that would be interested in Gordon at this point were the browns to shop him? 

SF (wrs stink)

DAL (jones always gets a boner for bargain talent with issues)

CAR(wrs thin, better than ginn)

ATL (no confidence in sanu)

IND (Irsay is a wildcard)

NE (perrenial "wouldn't it be sweet if so and so went there?)

BUF (pair w/ Sammy)

those seem to be reasonable teams where he would be an upgrade or have wildcard owners whose eyes light up.
SF - definitely

Dallas - definitely

Car - maybe, not really a WR dependent team

ATL - doubtful, other glaring holes

IND - definitely

NE - not a good fit, doesn't have the mental game...see chad johnson

BUF- not really, see Carolina

SF - definitely

Dallas - definitely

Car - maybe, not really a WR dependent team

ATL - doubtful, other glaring holes

IND - definitely

NE - not a good fit, doesn't have the mental game...see chad johnson

BUF- not really, see Carolina

Did Moss have the mental game? I think 33-year-old CJ didn't pan out because he was 33 more than due to lack of mental aptitude. 

My first thought was Dallas and the obvious fantasy of NE. A couple others that haven't been mentioned:

LAR - Fischer has a history of taking on guys with a troubled past, no clear #1, move would have high publicity for a new team in a big market

SEA - No big WR, history of taking guys that are headcases

DET - Maybe they don't like what they see with Marvin and Tate as the top guys during camp.

Baltimore or Pitt would be fun, but an interdivision trade probably isn't happening.

I can't wait for a reasonable offer to get here.   Been stretching my "accept" finger all day, don't wanna sprain something.

Did Moss have the mental game? I think 33-year-old CJ didn't pan out because he was 33 more than due to lack of mental aptitude. 
nah, CJ couldn't figure out audibles, complex route trees etc. 

Randy Moss is actually a very bright guy...underrated in that sense...Ocho Cinco...not so much.  Randy had little issue integrating into the Pats offense.

Last edited by a moderator:
LAR - Fischer has a history of taking on guys with a troubled past, no clear #1, move would have high publicity for a new team in a big market

DET - Maybe they don't like what they see with Marvin and Tate as the top guys during camp.

Baltimore or Pitt would be fun, but an interdivision trade probably isn't happening.
LAR - makes sense

SEA - they are pretty deep with guys they like...doesn't seem like a fit

DET - maybe, I don't have a great feel for the direction there.

I forgot about the rams, I'd be calling if I were their gm with their sorry a** group. Seattle came to mind, but I think they are executing their plan. Of course if that plan is to let Wilson open it up more and more over the next couple years then maybe he fits that plan. 

Martha ford wants professionals, good character guys. She has stated this a few times. Even if it means winning even less football games....but hey, we'll have cheerleaders this year after years of calling it "immoral", so maybe times are changing....

balt/pit/ne pipedreams

Can anyone think of a team that would be interested in Gordon at this point were the browns to shop him? 

SF (wrs stink)

DAL (jones always gets a boner for bargain talent with issues)

CAR(wrs thin, better than ginn)

ATL (no confidence in sanu)

IND (Irsay is a wildcard)

NE (perrenial "wouldn't it be sweet if so and so went there?)

BUF (pair w/ Sammy)

those seem to be reasonable teams where he would be an upgrade or have wildcard owners whose eyes light up.
SF Clearest need. They might take a flier if he could be had for cheap. Stingy organization.. especially now (I'm a 9ers fan)

DAL Makes sense

CAR Thinking they stand pat with current starters seeing as how did what he did with nothing to work with.

ATL I think has a lot of confidence in Sanu

IND needs the depth.. but wow not sure what that would do to the projected starters. 

NE Can dream can't we?

BUF Wow.. hadn't thought of that but Rex Ryan team with 2 elite stud WRs? Having a hard time picturing..

I think he may have highest value for CLE given the trade market for troubled players with 2 strikes.

As a Browns fan (not a FF standpoint), I wish I was more excited about this. But not a lot of faith in the QB situation based on what I'm hearing out of camp. And definitely not getting to pumped about a guy that hasn't played in years, and that is just as likely to fail and be gone again without ever stepping on the field. But here's hoping!

I'm blessed and grateful to be granted this opportunity. I can’t wait to get back out there and play the game I love in front of the great fans of Cleveland. I want to thank the NFLPA, Commissioner Goodell, the Haslam family and Browns organization, my agent Drew Rosenhaus, as well as my mentors for their continuous support along the way. I've heard only good things from my teammates about the positive direction the organization is heading and I want to do everything I can to be there to help further that process not only for the team but to better myself as well. Thank you

I forgot about the rams, I'd be calling if I were their gm with their sorry a** group. Seattle came to mind, but I think they are executing their plan. Of course if that plan is to let Wilson open it up more and more over the next couple years then maybe he fits that plan. 

Martha ford wants professionals, good character guys. She has stated this a few times. Even if it means winning even less football games....but hey, we'll have cheerleaders this year after years of calling it "immoral", so maybe times are changing....

balt/pit/ne pipedreams
Am I allowed  to root for more than 1 team (LA native)? Yes this makes perfect sense.. so probably *no*.

My first thought was Dallas and the obvious fantasy of NE. A couple others that haven't been mentioned:

Would love to see him in Seattle but I doubt they would bite here specifically because of the Percy Harvin mistake.  But seeing him with Russell Wilson would be amazing...

I'm blessed and grateful to be granted this opportunity. I can’t wait to get back out there and play the game I love in front of the great fans of Cleveland. I want to thank the NFLPA, Commissioner Goodell, the Haslam family and Browns organization, my agent Drew Rosenhaus, as well as my mentors for their continuous support along the way. I've heard only good things from my teammates about the positive direction the organization is heading and I want to do everything I can to be there to help further that process not only for the team but to better myself as well. Thank you
Well...

NSFW

Browns head of football operations Sashi Brown indicated in a Monday statement that suspended WR Josh Gordon will be given another chance in Cleveland.
"With the league's decision to afford Josh the opportunity to resume his career, he will be with us for the start of training camp,'' Brown said. "At that time, we will discuss directly with Josh the direction of our team, our expectations of our players and a plan to support him on and off the field." Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reported earlier this afternoon that Gordon remains on "thin ice" with the organization, but Brown's words suggest the formerly-troubled 25-year-old will stick with the team through training camp.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer 
Jul 25 - 6:40 PM

Probably the 2 most unlikely landing spots. In the division. Baltimore has made it very clear since Rice that they don't want anything to do with potential troubled players. How many Steelers offensive players can they have suspended for drugs at one time?

No reason to believe the Browns are shopping Gordon because they wouldn't get anything in return.

In 2013 they had a deal on the table for a 2nd round pick but Haslam but the kibosh on it because they had already traded away RB Trent Richardson and the fans would have revolted.  That deal was in place before JG blew up and before he had his other 'issues/suspensions'.  

Now, his value is too low for the team to trade and he still has tremendous upside.  They are not going to trade him at this point.

Coleman hasn't proven himself yet and really isn't the best fit as a #1 WR IMHO.  The three other rookie WRs haven't gotten the reps and only 'Hollywood' Higgins has flashed of the later drafted rookie WRs.  JG has proven himself, he can beat press-man coverage.  He is a perfect fit as an X.

I like pairing JG AND Coleman, two former Baylor WRs with former Baylor QB RG III and Bob's deep-ball bucket accuracy.  If noodle-armed Brian Hoyer and Jason Cambell and Brandon Weeden could make JG the NFL leading receiver and set NFL records just by 'throwing-it-up' and letting JG catch the ball then I think RG III can click with JG.  

I don't anticipate a Lazarus return from the dead from RG III but Hue Jackson has already made Bob his 'pet project' and he is giving him 1st team reps.  

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

Browns will give RGIII four out of five first-team reps

Posted by Michael David Smith on July 26, 2016, 8:24 AM EDT
Robert Griffin III hasn’t been promised the starting quarterback job in Cleveland, but heading into training camp, it’s his job to lose.

Longtime Browns reporter Tony Grossi said this morning on PFT Live that Griffin will get four out of every five reps with the first-string offense at Browns camp. That strongly suggests that coach Hue Jackson is heading into camp with the idea that Griffin is his starter, and will only change his mind if something surprising happens.

“It’s not an open competition with Josh McCown,” Grossi said.

IF Josh Gordon works out then later in the year, once Corey Coleman works out rookie mistakes, the Browns overall passing attack 'could' get interesting. 

So he's conditionally reinstated.

Anyone know the conditions?
In the next two months he turns into a different person than the guy he's been for the last two years? I would be running to accept trade offers before he and Manziel celebrate this news. 

"No, I think this time he really gets it....." has been a terrible call for a lot of folks this off-season. Including Gordon on strike.... eight? I doubt Schlichter would gamble on Gordon at this point.

This is kind of how I see it as well.

Based on last seasons targets to AJ Green being 8.25/game that should be 99 targets for Gordin over 12 games. at a career catch rte of 53% that would be 53 receptions or 4.4 receptions per game. I think this is a best case scenario. His per game numbers may be more similar to 2014 than 2013.

Coleman's targets from the Z would likely mirror Marvin Jones at 90 targets, but he may be targeted more in the four games Gordon is out, so maybe slightly higher than that.

Those look like pretty accurate and reasonable projections but I think in time, that Coleman's targets 'could' increase because I think the team sees his upside higher than Marvin Jones.  Add, you are spot-on in noting that Coleman 'should' see more targets over the first month when JG is serving his suspension.  

Those look like pretty accurate and reasonable projections but I think in time, that Coleman's targets 'could' increase because I think the team sees his upside higher than Marvin Jones.  Add, you are spot-on in noting that Coleman 'should' see more targets over the first month when JG is serving his suspension.  
Yeah I think Coleman has more upside than Marvin Jones in the long run. Just using the Bengals as the existing example and Josh Gordon being in the same role as AJ Green.

While this is likely good for the overall offense it hurts the upside opportunity for Coleman somewhat to where I had him before.

@RapSheet  19s19 seconds ago
#Browns WR Josh Gordon was placed on NFI list with a quad injury working out on his own. He should be out a couple weeks.
Gordon's 40 and 100m times are apparently faster than they were in 2013, according to a team trainer I know. 

Fresh body too. No (football) injuries. Just gotta get used to taking a hit... even they can even catch him

@RapSheet  19s19 seconds ago
#Browns WR Josh Gordon was placed on NFI list with a quad injury working out on his own. He should be out a couple weeks.
Gordon's 40 and 100m times are apparently faster than they were in 2013, according to a team trainer I know. 

Fresh body too. No (football) injuries. Just gotta get used to taking a hit... even they can even catch him
He's definitely used to taking a hit

You guys loading up on Browns are all balls.

I was thinking to maybe try for Duke Johnson or Coleman based on the other skill guys being green, that they could see high volume. Gordon if he plays a good part of those 12 games causes targets to spread out more and I am not sure I want any Browns anymore.

You guys loading up on Browns are all balls.

I was thinking to maybe try for Duke Johnson or Coleman based on the other skill guys being green, that they could see high volume. Gordon if he plays a good part of those 12 games causes targets to spread out more and I am not sure I want any Browns anymore.
They are talking Dynasty, not redraft.

Josh Gordon returns to Browns, lands on NFI with quad injury

Posted by Zac Jackson on July 26, 2016, 4:54 PM EDT

The Browns moved reinstated wide receiverJosh Gordon to the 90-man roster Tuesday, but Gordon then landed on the team’s active/non-football injury list.

Gordon was allowed to be in the team’s facility for the first time in more than a year, and a physical revealed a quad injury. The Browns open camp on Friday, but the team’s release said Gordon was injured “while working out on his own this summer” and that Gordon is “expected to be out at least a couple of weeks.”

Gordon is allowed to participate in training camp and the preseason but will be suspended for the first four games of 2016 as part of his conditional reinstatement, which the NFL announced Monday.

Per multiple reports, Gordon met with new Browns coach Hue Jackson, executive vice president of football operations Sashi Brown and other key Browns personnel Tuesday. The team is likely to have strict guidelines for Gordon to follow as he tries to return from suspension.

After leading the NFL with 1,646 receiving yards in 2013, Gordon has played in only five games over the last two seasons due to various suspensions. He last played a game in Dec. 2014.

Gordon was allowed to be in the team’s facility for the first time in more than a year, and a physical revealed a quad injury. The Browns open camp on Friday, but the team’s release said Gordon was injured “while working out on his own this summer” and that Gordon is “expected to be out at least a couple of weeks.”
Runnin' from the po-po?

A buddy of mine said he saw Gordon not too long ago smoking again. Hopefully they place less emphasis on reefer testing so this kid can play. I have no faith in his ability to quit. Period. But hopefully that injury heals up nice and quick so he can learn the playbook and get back to blazing!

A buddy of mine said he saw Gordon not too long ago smoking again. Hopefully they place less emphasis on reefer testing so this kid can play. I have no faith in his ability to quit. Period. But hopefully that injury heals up nice and quick so he can learn the playbook and get back to blazing!
Before of after his weekly piss test? 

Offers for your 2017 1st rounder coming in 3.....2.....1
:lol:  They aren't my starters. Had RG3 since his rookie year. He's my 4th QB behind Russell, Tyrod, Teddy. Ha. 4 black QBs. Random... Hopefully someone behind Russell proves worth owning. Admittedly thin at QB. Duke is behind Gurley and Hyde. PPR, so I think he'll be useful this year. Also have Langford/Carey. Crowell was free. Worth a roster spot. Gordon is probably my 4th WR after Julio, Alshon, and Cooks. 

My 1st should only be a good pick if there are a lot of injuries (might as well throw in I have Reed at TE to fill out the lineup). But anything can happen. 

For redrafters, seems like Gordon in Rounds 6-7 and then taking Coleman in 11-12 would be a good play. Not sure where their ADPs will be at when we draft 4 weeks from Sunday.

For redrafters, seems like Gordon in Rounds 6-7 and then taking Coleman in 11-12 would be a good play. Not sure where their ADPs will be at when we draft 4 weeks from Sunday.
Serious question. Why would the guy who is suspended and one mistake away from being out of the league, who is also suspended the first four games, be 5 rounds more valuable than the one who is penciled in as an immediate starter? Especially in a redraft league?

Serious question. Why would the guy who is suspended and one mistake away from being out of the league, who is also suspended the first four games, be 5 rounds more valuable than the one who is penciled in as an immediate starter? Especially in a redraft league?
Coleman's ADP right now is 87ish, but that might slide as we move from mocks to actual. So I am thinking he'll be had in the 10th-12th round.

Not sure where Gordon will be but right now the staff has him around 70-75 in the rankings. Bit steep but 7th or 8th I would go for it.

To your question, I don't really care what drives perception. I'm interested in which round I need to target if I want him and which round I'll pass on if he keeps moving up.

I would imagine the answer is former All-Pro (with hot garbage QBs) versus unproved rookie = 4-5 rounds difference, but again, I don't really care.

But if I am taking a boom/bust guy in the 7th and I can get the guy who will benefit from his 4 game absence at the beginning of the season - and will likely benefit if things go south with the all or nothing proposition - seems like a good strategy to hedge the Gordon pick by taking Coleman. 

Or maybe good strategy is a stretch. That's why I threw it out there, for discussion.

Gordon in the 7th is a pick over someone like DeSean, Crabtree, Lockette. Pretty easy to justify. Gordon in the 6th is a pick over Hurns or Moncrief is a little tougher. Potentially he's way better than anyone going in the 5th or 6th, but he's also potentially a completely wasted pick. So his value needs to be 7th or 8th at this point for me to be interested.

DallasDMac said:
Because Coleman is a rookie and Gordon has already proved he can be the #1 WR in FF with 2 missed games that season.

BobbyLayne said:
Using two draft picks on Cleveland WRs seems like a good play?

Users who are viewing this thread