What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (10 Viewers)

Gordon has been in trouble for weed/booze consistently since 2010 when he was still in college. He's reportedly checking out today from a 90 day rehab stint. Gooddell would have to be a complete and total idiot to reinstate him quickly. If he reinstates him at all, I suspect its going to be a while. It behooves him to make JG demonstrate he's really serious about coming back and has his issues under control. That is going to take some time.

Gordon has been in trouble for weed/booze consistently since 2010 when he was still in college. He's reportedly checking out today from a 90 day rehab stint. Gooddell would have to be a complete and total idiot to reinstate him quickly. If he reinstates him at all, I suspect its going to be a while. It behooves him to make JG demonstrate he's really serious about coming back and has his issues under control. That is going to take some time.
Oh the irony of whiskey7 talking about rehab...

I do agree. 

But at the same time, I couldn't help picking him up.

kinda like knowing that when I buy a lottery ticket, I have a 1 in a zillion chance at winning. 

But I buy them anyway. 

Goodell already rejected his previous reinstatement in May. The question is, was that the retroactive date when Goodell wanted to see if JG would stay clean? If so, that could be a reason for the 90 day rehab.   

I hope you are wrong as I've added him to most of my teams but I tend to think you are not wrong at all.

I've had this thought since reading some recent comments from MKC over past few days. In particular it was MKC who got me most hyped that he might return in September or soon after but I've noticed her tone get a little more pessimistic lately. A few days ago in a chat she said something pretty similar to what you are saying, that she believes it likely they would want to see a period of post rehab sobriety before they would consider reinstating him.

My belief is the best possible short term outcome for Gordon a conditional reinstatement that will allow him to practice and be around the team but not count towards active roster or play(I assume this can be done, but maybe I'm wrong).  It's not like he's walking out of 90 days in rehab game ready anyway.

In other words I think the best outcome here is for him to get a chance to get into football shape and get reacclimated with the team/playbook while he demonstrates this "period of sobriety" and best case is he's is activated and a useable fantasy asset much later in the season,  not anytime before November or anything.

He went to rehab last year right when it was reported that he missed a drug test & wouldn't be reinstated after his 4-game suspension. 

Many at the time speculated that it was a "last ditch effort" to salvage the situation. It didn't, and he was suspended indefinitely.

The reasons why he was in rehab again could have a massive influence on whether or not his application for reinstatement is seriously considered. It's an important detail. 

Like he did when he missed his last drug test before 2016 reinstatement. 
I think you're conflating two situations that are a year removed from one another. Granted, it's the same dude so I understand it but still... you're forgetting that JG went to rehab last time –– not to aide his reinstatement –– rather, he attempted to circumvent a surprise drug test, knowing he would fail it. Goodell sniffed that out immediately, of course, and he was suspended anyway. 

There is no scenario in which this stint in rehab was an attempt to avoid a drug test. 

There is no other reason than to aide his chances at reinstatement, regardless of whether it was done in cooperation with the NFL or not. 

Goodell already rejected his previous reinstatement in May. The question is, was that the retroactive date when Goodell wanted to see if JG would stay clean? If so, that could be a reason for the 90 day rehab.   
Gotta think (at this point) proving it to Goddell is going to take a year or more. No failed tests. No missed tests. No trips to inpatient rehab. Just Gordon demonstrating he can control his demons every day over time. Gordon has squandered any benefit of the doubt and is going to have to really earn it, IMO. 

This is the key of the disagreement, here. What has you thinking they have to comment on something like this? Just because they did last time? Ever heard of "fool me once"? I'm of the opinion that Gordon would not have gone to rehab without some indication that it would heavily influence the NFL/Goodell to reinstate him. 

Others think he just relapsed. Whatever. Maybe. 

Even if it's as little as his mentor Tim Montgomery having a connection inside the league (which he no doubt does) who told him to put his client in rehab, that still fits the bill of "Gordon cooperating with NFL by going to rehab."

I mean, let's just look at the facts:

Dude went to rehab right when his reinstatement was approaching. 

His worst infractions have been weed and beer. 

He's done a longer stint in rehab than most who are punished for drug-related infractions. 

His mentor, Tim Montgomery, vouches for the kid. 

That's pretty much all we know right now. You say the NFL wants nothing to do with him. I say they likely suggested rehab. 

I guess we'll find out when he's reinstated  :yes:
It's routine legal advice for anyone charged with a DUI to start a rehab program so that when it goes to court they look like they're taking a pro-active approach and maybe look a little better in the eyes of the judge.  Every attorney who practices defending DUIs knows it and does it.  The fact that a person charged with a DUI "voluntarily" goes to rehab doesn't mean that it's likely that the judge suggested it. You're correct that he probably wouldn't have gone to rehab if he didn't think it would influence Goodell (unless he finally actually listened to those people who care about him more as a person than as a football player).  However, the leap to "the league likely suggested it" doesn't follow from that premise.

Here we go!!

Jamelle Hill‏ @JamelleHillEspn

JUST IN: Josh Gordon has officially, again, submitted reinstatement papers to play in the NFL, league sources tell ESPN. Tune in #thesix tn!

11:32 AM - 21 Sep 2017
:sleep:

Until we see the NFL's response, this is kind of a nothingburger. We knew he'd apply today. :yawn:  

If Gordon gets reinstated, how will they possibly fit his $1 million salary under the salary cap? The Browns only have $63 million in cap space.

I do find it interesting that the Browns have dead money cap hits on 32 total players. Off the top, I don't know if that is a high number, but it sounds on the high side. All those players don't add up to all that much ($36 million) . . . with Osweiler accounting for over $15 million of it.

I think you're conflating two situations that are a year removed from one another. Granted, it's the same dude so I understand it but still... you're forgetting that JG went to rehab last time –– not to aide his reinstatement –– rather, he attempted to circumvent a surprise drug test, knowing he would fail it. Goodell sniffed that out immediately, of course, and he was suspended anyway. 
All due respect, but you're being a bit silly here.  I am indeed conflating two events, but they are unarguably part of the same situation. The "Josh Gordon" situation. 

How are these two situations? Dude got suspended. He got suspended again. He went to rehab. He went to rehab again. 

Same situation. Same player. Same suspension. 

Yeesh, I might just drop him again. :doh:  

I'm not feeling like this is gonna go anywhere. Now I've gotta hold onto this dead weight until something happens? 

If there's no news by next week he's off my teams. 

All due respect, but you're being a bit silly here.  I am indeed conflating two events, but they are unarguably part of the same situation. The "Josh Gordon" situation. 

How are these two situations? Dude got suspended. He got suspended again. He went to rehab. He went to rehab again. 

Same situation. Same player. Same suspension. 
No, that's deliberately ignoring the differences between the incidents. 

Put it this way: John Doe goes to rehab as a means of skipping a required drug test. One year later, he goes to rehab as preparation for his impending reinstatement window. 

Clearly, those are two entirely different scenarios with only connective tissue of "rehab." 

It's routine legal advice for anyone charged with a DUI to start a rehab program so that when it goes to court they look like they're taking a pro-active approach and maybe look a little better in the eyes of the judge.  Every attorney who practices defending DUIs knows it and does it.  The fact that a person charged with a DUI "voluntarily" goes to rehab doesn't mean that it's likely that the judge suggested it. You're correct that he probably wouldn't have gone to rehab if he didn't think it would influence Goodell (unless he finally actually listened to those people who care about him more as a person than as a football player).  However, the leap to "the league likely suggested it" doesn't follow from that premise.
Didn't JG get his DUI over three years ago? What does that have to do with his most recent stint in rehab?

No, that's deliberately ignoring the differences between the incidents. 

Put it this way: John Doe goes to rehab as a means of skipping a required drug test. One year later, he goes to rehab as preparation for his impending reinstatement window. 

Clearly, those are two entirely different scenarios with only connective tissue of "rehab." 
Except they involve the same person. The same person who's suspended and trying to return to the NFL, so the same person in the same scenario. 

Other than that you might be onto something. 

Or not. 

lol 

Didn't JG get his DUI over three years ago? What does that have to do with his most recent stint in rehab?
How are you missing that it's all connected?  

As I said in a prior response to you - the issue is that he's a repeat offender. You keep speaking of Gordon's issues as thought they're entirely unrelated. The issue itself is the fact that the dude cannot stay clean and has repeatedly violated the rules. 

It's one issue. The DUI, the failed test, the missed test - all one loooooooong issue. 

Except they involve the same person. The same person who's suspended and trying to return to the NFL, so the same person in the same scenario. 

Other than that you might be onto something. 

Or not. 

lol 
Just because it's same person doesn't mean you completely ignore the differences between the two scenarios.

How are you missing that it's all connected?  

As I said in a prior response to you - the issue is that he's a repeat offender. You keep speaking of Gordon's issues as thought they're entirely unrelated. The issue itself is the fact that the dude cannot stay clean and has repeatedly violated the rules. 

It's one issue. The DUI, the failed test, the missed test - all one loooooooong issue. 
I'm replying to someone else with this comment because he said JG went to rehab to aide his court case for a DUI... which was three years ago... so there is no legal reason to do so. 

Sorry, didn't think I needed to be that explicit.  Try it this way:

1. As an attorney, I routinely tell all DUI defendants that they should "voluntarily" go to rehab so they look better for the judge. However, that doesn't mean the judge "suggested it".  It means that's a way for the defendant look like he has seen the error of his ways and wants to make himself better and thus look better when he gets before the judge.
2. If I were lucky enough to get a client as rich and as stupid as Gordon, I would obviously use the same approach and tell him "Josh, if you voluntarily go to drug rehab, it's going to be much easier to convince the Commissioner that you've seen the error of your ways and want to make yourself better.  That will make you look better when the Commissioner reviews your case." That has nothing to do with his previous DUI and everything to do with his continued inability to stop getting high.
3. The fact that I advise Josh to do that (or that whoever is advising him now, since I'm not lucky enough to get his money), does not, in any way, shape or form, support your conclusion that "the league likely suggested it."

Just because it's same person doesn't mean you completely ignore the differences between the two scenarios.

I'm replying to someone else with this comment because he said JG went to rehab to aide his court case for a DUI... which was three years ago... so there is no legal reason to do so. 
It was a simile, not a reference to his previous court case.  See above.

Sorry, didn't think I needed to be that explicit.  Try it this way:

1. As an attorney, I routinely tell all DUI defendants that they should "voluntarily" go to rehab so they look better for the judge. However, that doesn't mean the judge "suggested it".  It means that's a way for the defendant look like he has seen the error of his ways and wants to make himself better and thus look better when he gets before the judge.
2. If I were lucky enough to get a client as rich and as stupid as Gordon, I would obviously use the same approach and tell him "Josh, if you voluntarily go to drug rehab, it's going to be much easier to convince the Commissioner that you've seen the error of your ways and want to make yourself better.  That will make you look better when the Commissioner reviews your case." That has nothing to do with his previous DUI and everything to do with his continued inability to stop getting high.
3. The fact that I advise Josh to do that (or that whoever is advising him now, since I'm not lucky enough to get his money), does not, in any way, shape or form, support your conclusion that "the league likely suggested it."
That'd be all be fine and dandy if there weren't reports out there with sources claiming he went to rehab in cooperation with the NFL...

Last edited by a moderator:
That'd be all be fine and dandy if there weren't reports out there with sources claiming he went to rehab in cooperation with the NFL...
And there are reports that said the NFL wants nothing to do with him and was not involved.

I mean, let's just look at the facts:

Dude went to rehab right when his reinstatement was approaching. 

His worst infractions have been weed and beer. 

He's done a longer stint in rehab than most who are punished for drug-related infractions. 

His mentor, Tim Montgomery, vouches for the kid. 

That's pretty much all we know right now. You say the NFL wants nothing to do with him. I say they likely suggested rehab. 

I guess we'll find out when he's reinstated  :yes:
As you said, "All we know" is that he went to rehab.  We do not know that the NFL suggested he do it.  Is it possible? Sure.  Can we say it's likely? No.

And there are reports that said the NFL wants nothing to do with him and was not involved.
I've seen nothing that says the "NFL wants nothing to do with him." I've seen reports saying they are not actively considering his reinstatement which makes complete sense because he could not submit his reinstatement papers until today...

My take on the matter is:

NFL said he could apply this month = they wouldn't have given permission to apply this month, if they wouldn't consider it this month. They can say next year, if they want to.

NFL wanted Josh to go into this rehab program = Josh went and finished this.

NFL is like considering how things went and if it's all good like it seems to be = there is no reason not to give a guy a chance.

My take on the matter is:

NFL said he could apply this month = they wouldn't have given permission to apply this month, if they wouldn't consider it this month. They can say next year, if they want to.
The rules are what they are. The 21st is the first date he's eligible to reapply after being denied in May. 

They didn't "give permission". As I understand, it's x amount of days until the next application date. It's not a judgement call.

NFL wanted Josh to go into this rehab program = Josh went and finished this.
We don't know that at all. All we know is that Gordon went back to another 90 days in rehab, and allegedly finished it.  (Note: there have not yet been any reports of this, just the expectations of his life-coach/trainer)

NFL is like considering how things went and if it's all good like it seems to be = there is no reason not to give a guy a chance.
Until he applies, and until the NFL decides to review, they're not considering anything. When Gordon applies, the NFL will either reject his application (as they did in August) or they'll evaluate it. 

And there may be many reasons to not give the guy a chance. For one, why'd he need to go back to rehab? No one yet knows. For another, how many chances has he had? 

These will be weighed by the NFL when the NFL decides the time is right to weight them. 

For now, while I agree Gordon should be reinstated, that doesn't mean he will be. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread