Jump to content
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, Chaka said:

Of course there is a downside for the NFL.

Imagine this headline "NFL enabled recidivist drug user kills family of four in DUI collision"

 

The NFL didn't give him a license, just the ability to play in a game. Unless of course the family of four runs on the field and he's full speed at the 5 and......

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 22.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can someone reach out to Soulfly? I’m more worried about him than I Gordon.

Kind of ironic isn't it? NFL tells Gordon to lay off the weed and he can't. Owner of this website tells you to lay off your hot takes and you can't.

You've never seen my wife reach for the last pizza slice.

Just now, Slider said:

The NFL didn't give him a license, just the ability to play in a game. Unless of course the family of four runs on the field and he's full speed at the 5 and......

Since when does rational thought impact a salacious click-bait generating headline?

Right, wrong or otherwise that story would absolutely draw the NFL through the mud, there is no question about it. The NFL will absolutely take that possibility into account in making a decision on Gordon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Chaka said:

Since when does rational thought impact a salacious click-bait generating headline?

Right, wrong or otherwise that story would absolutely draw the NFL through the mud, there is no question about it. The NFL will absolutely take that possibility into account in making a decision on Gordon.

What? You better go find Khan and think this through a little better. ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Slider said:

What? You better go find Khan and think this through a little better. ?

I am not sure what you mean by that but I think you're being naive and maybe letting your fantasy football hopes jade your view.

Why would the NFL P.R. machine not be concerned with allowing a recidivist offender back in the league?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, matuski said:

Oh stop. 

Stop what? I don't think that will happen, but it is foolish to think the NFL won't consider those type of negative outcomes when deciding whether or not to allow Gordon back.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chaka said:

Stop what? I don't think that will happen, but it is foolish to think the NFL won't consider those type of negative outcomes when deciding whether or not to allow Gordon back.

Well then they should also move teams off the West Coast and Southeast US because you know a missile or hurricane could hit some day. ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/24/2017 at 7:44 AM, Slider said:

Well then they should also move teams off the West Coast and Southeast US because you know a missile or hurricane could hit some day. ?

Pretty sure the NFL didn't give the ok for missiles or hurricanes to hang out in those areas though. That's a bit different & your logic here doesn't apply.

@Chaka is spot on - it's not whether the NFL is actually responsible for Gordon's actions if the worst case scenario happens, but the NFL's PR/Legal depts are notoriously conservative.

they will *always* consider worst case scenario when it comes to repeat drug offenders and allowing them back in. And they were (rightfully) skewered over the initial handing of Ray Rice, and later the lax approach to the NYG kicker. 

So as others have suggested, I believe the NFL will exercise caution in considering reinstatement. If it could be bad for the shield, there's a downside. 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy
typos
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Pretty sure the NFL didn't give the ok for mission or hurricane to hang out in those areas though. That's a bit different & your logic here doesn't apply.

@Chaka is spot on - it's not whether the NFL is actually responsible for Gordon's actions if the worst case scenario happens, but the NFL's PR/Legal depts are notoriously conservative.

they will *always* consider worst case scenario when it comes to repeat drug offenders and allowing them back in. And they were (rightfully) skewered over the initial handing of Ray Rice, and later the lax approach to the NYG kicker. 

So as others have suggested, I believe the NFL will exercise caution in considering reinstatement. If it could be bad for the shield, there's a downside. 

Did this start after Leonard Little retired?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 9:57 AM, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Pretty sure the NFL didn't give the ok for mission or hurricane to hang out in those areas though. That's a bit different & your logic here doesn't apply.

@Chaka is spot on - it's not whether the NFL is actually responsible for Gordon's actions if the worst case scenario happens, but the NFL's PR/Legal depts are notoriously conservative.

they will *always* consider worst case scenario when it comes to repeat drug offenders and allowing them back in. And they were (rightfully) skewered over the initial handing of Ray Rice, and later the lax approach to the NYG kicker. 

So as others have suggested, I believe the NFL will exercise caution in considering reinstatement. If it could be bad for the shield, there's a downside. 

It continues to amaze me how many folks "know stuff" about the inner workings of the NFL.

Keep up the Good work! :thumbup:

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, dagwood said:

It continues to amaze me how many folks "know stuff" about the inner workings of the NFL.

Keep up the Good work! :thumbup:

 

Watch the game for a while, the clues are there.

i won't claim to be a fly on the wall in the NFL offices, but from a couple decades in IT & health care I "know stuff" about corporate attorneys and how they look at things. 

But by all means, continue to flippantly disregard the insight of people who may have worked in sensitive corporate environments & might "know stuff".

Not the choice I'd make, but hey; you do you. ;) 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Watch the game for a while, the clues are there.

i won't claim to be a fly on the wall in the NFL offices, but from a couple decades in IT & health care I "know stuff" about corporate attorneys and how they look at things. 

But by all means, continue to flippantly disregard the insight of people who may have worked in sensitive corporate environments & might "know stuff".

Not the choice I'd make, but hey; you do you. ;) 

All good but you need to work on your reading comprehension because clearly you don't "know" as much as you think you do about me.  Lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

Who here has sworn off picking up this guy again yet once again finds themselves putting in a claim on this week's waivers?

Kind of hoping that there is no news until waivers run on Tuesday...

The potential reward still outweighs the risk atm IMHO if you have room on your bench.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dagwood said:

All good but you need to work on your reading comprehension because clearly you don't "know" as much as you think you do about me.  Lol.

I know you've posted 1335 times and only 31 of those were liked by anyone.  

I also know that you chose to call me out, specifically quoting my post while projecting that I claimed to be some sort of expert on NFL policy making, when in my post I said I "believed" the NFL would exercise caution. 

So perhaps the comprehension issues are more internal? 

Good luck, and welcome to ignore. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I know you've posted 1335 times and only 31 of those were liked by anyone.  

I also know that you chose to call me out, specifically quoting my post while projecting that I claimed to be some sort of expert on NFL policy making, when in my post I said I "believed" the NFL would exercise caution. 

So perhaps the comprehension issues are more internal? 

Good luck, and welcome to ignore. 

Did not know that comprehension was tied to folks clicking on "like this".  Where I come from reading comprehension is something we learn in grade school.  Carry on though.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

I know you've posted 1335 times and only 31 of those were liked by anyone.  

I also know that you chose to call me out, specifically quoting my post while projecting that I claimed to be some sort of expert on NFL policy making, when in my post I said I "believed" the NFL would exercise caution. 

So perhaps the comprehension issues are more internal? 

Good luck, and welcome to ignore. 

Funny.  I actually considered putting you on ignore but I find your posts entertaining even if I don't find them informative.  Carry on.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:48 AM, Chaka said:

Of course there is a downside for the NFL.

Imagine this headline "NFL enabled recidivist drug user kills family of four in DUI collision"

 

Um, he was busted for pot, wasn't he?  He's been out for multiple seasons for doing something perfectly legal in multiple states with NFL teams.  Also, not sure either how that correlates to domestic abusers like Rice, whom got caught red handed on video, and the bad publicity they got from that as others have suggested. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Men-in-Cleats said:

Um, he was busted for pot, wasn't he?  He's been out for multiple seasons for doing something perfectly legal in multiple states with NFL teams.  Also, not sure either how that correlates to domestic abusers like Rice, whom got caught red handed on video, and the bad publicity they got from that as others have suggested. 

He was also told not to drink then posed for a picture for social media with a beer in his hand. Apparently he's not very smart

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

He was also told not to drink then posed for a picture for social media with a beer in his hand. Apparently he's not very smart

100% agreement there.  My point was that he was busted for pot doesn't necessarily make him an alcoholic and likely to go get a DUI and take out a minivan full of children.  He's dumber than a box of rocks for sure though and shouldn't have been out having a beer. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Men-in-Cleats said:

100% agreement there.  My point was that he was busted for pot doesn't necessarily make him an alcoholic and likely to go get a DUI and take out a minivan full of children.  He's dumber than a box of rocks for sure though and shouldn't have been out having a beer. 

I think the challenge of discussing Gordon is perception vs reality, and stepping back and taking a mile-high view (no pun intended).

from my perspective, and I'm sure many of the members here & society in general, Gordon's issues seem very minor. Smoked a little weed, got his drink on - societally acceptable things for the most part these days.  Hell, i just worked a 3- day food festival in Oakland & we had 5-6 breweries there, and the smell of reefer was prominent throughout the weekend. 

But from that high level, devil's advocate, league perspective standpoint, Josh Gordon is a drug & alcohol abusing liability. He's a bad look for the NFL because he not only was busted, he then went on to become a repeat offender. 

For the record, I think the league is wrong in how they handle pot, especially considering the opioid crisis in America and how destructive the "legal" meds are.

But they aren't a young or hip league - they have their crappy out of touch rules and they enforce them. And under those rules and with their ever present concern for appearances, Gordon is a repeat offender who carries significant risk.

perception vs reality.

Gordon is getting a raw deal, even if it is self-inflicted. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know I will be glad when this Gordon thing is settled for once and for all, and hopefully it will mercifully be done soon.

Tired of reading about everybody's personal opinions of marijuana, alcohol, the fairness of NFL policy, substance abusers, etc.  I wish there was a filter to just remove all that talk because it just fills up this thread without adding anything.

I just want to read actual news.  And actual news these days in regards to him might sadly be an instagram post or a tweet.  Too much to ask for any news at this point from a validated source or the league office. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, greyhorse said:

I know I will be glad when this Gordon thing is settled for once and for all, and hopefully it will mercifully be done soon.

Tired of reading about everybody's personal opinions of marijuana, alcohol, the fairness of NFL policy, substance abusers, etc.  I wish there was a filter to just remove all that talk because it just fills up this thread without adding anything.

I just want to read actual news.  And actual news these days in regards to him might sadly be an instagram post or a tweet.  Too much to ask for any news at this point from a validated source or the league office. 

Have you considered the Google? All the news, no personal opinion. Kind of the opposite of a discussion forum. ;) 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hot Sauce Guy said:

Have you considered the Google? All the news, no personal opinion. Kind of the opposite of a discussion forum. ;) 

 

Oh yeah.  I know about the Google, the Facebook, etc.  I just don't know about Instagram/Snapchat/Twitter, or whatever it is kids use these days to communicate.  Seems like that's where all the breaking news on Gordon occurs these days...  Carry on, almost to 400...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, greyhorse said:

Oh yeah.  I know about the Google, the Facebook, etc.  I just don't know about Instagram/Snapchat/Twitter, or whatever it is kids use these days to communicate.  Seems like that's where all the breaking news on Gordon occurs these days...  Carry on, almost to 400...

:lol: 

well played. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

to those who grabbed him: what's your timeline for keeping him?

i'm a tad disappointed we haven't heard peep and i'm contemplating cutting him wednesday if there's no news on his reinstatement papers or meeting with the team by then... i feel like those are important first steps for him playing this year but the ball should probably get rolling pretty soon...

 

EDIT: 400 PAGES WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Edited by strong
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2017 at 3:23 PM, strong said:

to those who grabbed him: what's your timeline for keeping him?

June 10, 2067: Noted Sports Agent Robert Gordon announced today that his grandfather, WR Josh Gordon, has successfully completed a rehabilitation stay and expects to be reinstated in time to attend Cleveland Browns training camp next month. "Even though he hasn't played for over 50 years, he's in phenomenal condition," the younger Gordon said. "In fact, I'm currently negotiating with a guy called Soulfly297 in my fantasy football league to see if he'll trade him to me."

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, apalmer said:

June 10, 2067: Noted Sports Agent Robert Gordon announced today that his grandfather, WR Josh Gordon, has successfully completed a rehabilitation stay and expects to be reinstated in time to attend Cleveland Browns training camp next month. "Even though he hasn't played for over 50 years, he's in phenomenal condition," the younger Gordon said. "In fact, I'm currently negotiating with a guy called Soulfly297 in my fantasy football league to see if he'll trade him to me."

Oh Arnie, always the jokester. I love your iced tea lemon aid concoction by the way, so refreshing and only half the sugar as a 12oz can of soda pop!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/25/2017 at 9:23 PM, strong said:

to those who grabbed him: what's your timeline for keeping him?

I am in a 14 team 0.5 ppr 14player(5bench) League starting one running back and two wide receiver with two flex positions. I have very well distributed bye weeks amongst my 7 flex possible players (Hunt,cja,Carson,Cohen,Jordy,tyreek,tate) and don't need a bye week replacement for other positions until week 10. The waiver wire is pretty thin with 14 teams and 14 players. I will probably hold Gordon until there is actual news, abandoning hope in week 9, or unless there is a player worthy of my free agent action budget before then.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, apalmer said:

June 10, 2067: Noted Sports Agent Robert Gordon announced today that his grandfather, WR Josh Gordon, has successfully completed a rehabilitation stay and expects to be reinstated in time to attend Cleveland Browns training camp next month. "Even though he hasn't played for over 50 years, he's in phenomenal condition," the younger Gordon said. "In fact, I'm currently negotiating with a guy called Soulfly297 in my fantasy football league to see if he'll trade him to me."

 

:lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mcintyre1 said:

Are you the guy who knows a guy who went to rehab with Gordon who said he's getting reinstated on the 29th?

No, I'm this guy..

Quote

 

[–]Paradigm6790 5 points 51 minutes ago 

He's the ultimate lottery ticket. Owned in basically no leagues until recently with a slim but enormous potential upside.

Name a better lottery ticket.

[–]dtg99 13 points 50 minutes ago 

Name a better lottery ticket.

Anyone who actually plays football.

 

Quote

 

[–]eltigre2134 3 points 44 minutes ago 

He is legitimately worth rostering in leagues of 12 or more, especially if you have 6 bench spots like my league.

And for those teams that have a strong group of starters that are 3-0 - I won't ever play Mike Wallace over Keenan Allen. And if Allen gets hurt, there's 50 receivers who will give me 6-8 points a week. I want high upside.

You aren't wrong about the odds. But why roster guys you aren't going to play like Robby Anderson? Might as well take a flier.

[–]dtg99 4 points 44 minutes ago 

But why roster guys you aren't going to play like Robby Anderson?

Because when bye weeks hit you're going to need guys who play football.

 

Quote

 

[–]scaredshtlessintx 5 points 44 minutes ago 

I'd rather have him on my bench than losing to him in the playoffs

[–]dtg99 2 points 41 minutes ago 

In 2014, the last time he actually played the game of football, he caught 9/108/0 through weeks 14-16. If your opponent plays him against you, he'll win you the playoffs.

 

Quote

 

–]EggOnYoFace 1 point 29 minutes ago 

How could you possibly know what the odds are? For all we know he gets reinstated tomorrow. For all we know he never plays again. It's somewhere in between, but who are you to say it's impossible he comes back and has value this year? The hype train thing can be annoying af, I get it. But the dude has upside and is now officially out of rehab, giving him at least a shot to come back.

[–]dtg99 1 point 24 minutes ago* 

but who are you to say it's impossible he comes back and has value this year?

Sure, there's a non-zero chance that he holds value, there's also a non-zero chance chance that Austin Ekeler holds significant value this year - and his odds are exponentially higher than Josh Grodons. Part of that is due to fact that Melvin Gordon has a colored injury history, the other is that Ekeler actually plays football.

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, apalmer said:

June 10, 2067: Noted Sports Agent Robert Gordon announced today that his grandfather, WR Josh Gordon, has successfully completed a rehabilitation stay and expects to be reinstated in time to attend Cleveland Browns training camp next month. "Even though he hasn't played for over 50 years, he's in phenomenal condition," the younger Gordon said. "In fact, I'm currently negotiating with a guy called Soulfly297 in my fantasy football league to see if he'll trade him to me."

:lol: 

This is quite possibly the funniest post I've ever read on any discussion forum. Ever.

L O m-f'in L

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...