What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (2 Viewers)

At least Gordon exits CLE leaving me w the beautiful memory of that ridiculous TD catch to tie the game, which also ended up being our best result in 1.5yrs :lol:

I don't know if either would be a particularly good spot for his sobriety.  I think if he stays sober he can be productive in either system though.  
I personally don't know why there are restrictions against weed and not alcohol.  I've never heard of someone driving the wrong way on a four lane highway high on pot.  At worst they just miss their exit.  The way this country is legalizing weed I think the NFL will eventually lift their ban on it, but that obviously won't help anyone right now.

I think someone knows: This is why Gordon is being traded or cut.
Yeah.  They know they don't want to deal with him anymore, which is understandable after he strained his hamstring being irresponsible after a week of including him in their game-plan.  They were unlikely to keep him as a RFA next year anyways.

And they also know he hasn't failed any drug tests and don't want to trade him within the AFC because he has enough talent that a good opportunity elsewhere can end up biting them in the ###.  

It's interesting that the Browns want to trade Gordon out of the AFC because it implies that the Browns' management thinks they may have a chance of winning the AFC in the coming years, but don't want Gordon on an AFC rival to bite them in the ###.

But if Gordon is such a headache and detriment to your team that you're cutting him then why not make him a headache and detriment for a conference or division rival as an act of subterfuge?
Almost feel like them saying "this has nothing to do with drugs" and "he's so talented that we don't want him in our conference" are just GM-Speak ways to potentially find a trade partner or drive up his trade value.

Almost feel like them saying "this has nothing to do with drugs" and "he's so talented that we don't want him in our conference" are just GM-Speak ways to potentially find a trade partner or drive up his trade value.
Like everything else about this situation, it's a guess.  Could be legit or just a smokescreen, but anyone dealing for him will do their due diligence on his standing with regard to drug tests.  I haven't seen anything yet that says he's in any trouble whatsoever, just that the Browns got fed up with his lack of reliability and the hammy thing was the final straw.

Everyone claiming to be right or wrong about anything has no clue what they're talking about, most people just want to pile on.  We won't know anything about it until we find out who trades for him or where he lands.  If a team really does trade for him, it could be anything from a steal to a low risk gamble that backfires.  

I think someone knows: This is why Gordon is being traded or cut.
I think they’re just done. 

The Browns, to their credit, tried. As inept as they are at handling his trade/release (seriously, who says, “we’ll try to trade him & if not we’ll just release him. By the way, he’s always late, lazy & irresponsible so don’t value him too much, potential trade partners”.) they were pretty generous in their helping Gordon with his off-field issues.

Football-aside I respect the way the Browns stuck with Gordon & tried to help him get over his challenges. 

They gave him a LOT of leeway, a lot of space to recover, a lot of time away from the team & and seemingly a lot of support. They even went to bat for him with the NFL more than once IIRC.

Good on the Browns for trying. As anyone who’s dealt with addiction/mental illness in their family/circle of friends knows, somerimes (often) the more effort you put in, the greater the level of disappointment will be.

I don’t think Gordon had to fall off the wagon - being late to meetings, lacking focus, allowing your presence to be a distraction to team success is more than enough to warrant a trade/release.

I’m a little surprised it didn’t happen earlier, TBH. Good on the Browns for trying though. 

Yeah.  They know they don't want to deal with him anymore, which is understandable after he strained his hamstring being irresponsible after a week of including him in their game-plan.  They were unlikely to keep him as a RFA next year anyways.

And they also know he hasn't failed any drug tests and don't want to trade him within the AFC because he has enough talent that a good opportunity elsewhere can end up biting them in the ###.  
"the fall of a single leaf heralds the coming of autumn"

"the fall of a single leaf heralds the coming of autumn"
There are a lot of leaves that just fell in my backyard.  But it's not autumn.  It's a hurricane that passed by that'll be over in a few days, and then we'll be back to normal life again.

No one knows what's coming yet.  And it's ridiculous for people to claim to be right or wrong when they have NO idea and won't until we see how this shakes out.  Talent wins out in the end, and if he stays clean - which he supposedly has - people are somewhat foolish to write off that talent before everything is settled.   

To each their own though, and if he falls back into his addiction problems again, it'll be over for him.  Being irresponsible and straining a hamstring while being late for meetings is stupid, but it won't be enough for teams to look past his obvious talent as long as he's staying clean going forward.

Okay, now I really want Gordon to go somewhere (Dallas) and light things up to make the Browns' ridiculously inept handling of this look as dumb as possible.  And I like the Browns.  But, honestly.  

Being irresponsible and straining a hamstring while being late for meetings is stupid, but it won't be enough for teams to look past his obvious talent as long as he's staying clean going forward.
Strongly disagree. Any player who’s a distraction to the whole is damaging to the whole. 

NFL teams don’t put up with that - it’s a lack of respect, and brings the whole team down with them.

if Gordon wasn’t a potential star player he wouldn’t have even had a 2nd chance, much less 4 years of this nonsense. Talented players get special treatment, but even that has its limits.

To the Browns credit, they’ve started to assemble a very solid roster. I can see a scenario where this team becomes a winner. Josh Gordon’s antics were counterproductive to that end. 

I completely understand the release based on that, and wouldn’t be surprised if he has limited options for a landing spot.

Okay, now I really want Gordon to go somewhere (Dallas) and light things up to make the Browns' ridiculously inept handling of this look as dumb as possible.  And I like the Browns.  But, honestly.  
The way they handled this exact scenario is a little rough.  But you have to give them credit for sticking with the kid for this long.  I don’t see how the Browns would deserve an “in in your face, look how good I am on another team” moment here. 

They did an awful lot to try to help this young man   Some people are simply beyond help. 

The way they handled this exact scenario is a little rough.  But you have to give them credit for sticking with the kid for this long.  I don’t see how the Browns would deserve an “in in your face, look how good I am on another team” moment here. 

They did an awful lot to try to help this young man   Some people are simply beyond help. 
The trouble is we don't really know what he did this time, but I bet we could guess correctly.  I highly doubt it is over an injury.

massraider said:
If the Browns cut him, it wasn't because of a hammy injury. 

They have more info than any of us. Let's assume there's more to the story, and we can assume it had to do with his past. 

He doesn't need tho fail a test for the team to know. 

I never took a test, and my mom knew.
This is the Browns we're talking about

There are a lot of leaves that just fell in my backyard.  But it's not autumn.  It's a hurricane that passed by that'll be over in a few days, and then we'll be back to normal life again.

No one knows what's coming yet.  And it's ridiculous for people to claim to be right or wrong when they have NO idea and won't until we see how this shakes out.  Talent wins out in the end, and if he stays clean - which he supposedly has - people are somewhat foolish to write off that talent before everything is settled.   

To each their own though, and if he falls back into his addiction problems again, it'll be over for him.  Being irresponsible and straining a hamstring while being late for meetings is stupid, but it won't be enough for teams to look past his obvious talent as long as he's staying clean going forward.
We've been watching this shake out for how long? 

I'm treating this as if he is done for the year. 

Agreed, but you've hit on what's bugging me.  They stick with him that long and now abandon him over what appears to be relatively minor or nothing?  It's just weird.  

We've been watching this shake out for how long? 

I'm treating this as if he is done for the year. 
Well, he was out of football the last two years, but was clean enough to be reinstated and has reportedly been clean ever since.  At no point has anyone questioned his talent.  Situations change though.

You're more than welcome to do that.  Might work out that way still, and if no one takes a chance on him, that'll be very telling.  None of us really know.

But if all of the reports are true and a team trades for him, or even if they decide to just pick him up for free once he's released because the Browns already played that card, my own opinion is that it's unlikely a team would do that without having an intention of playing him.  And as talented as he is, if he lands in a place where he can contribute, I'd be foolish to write that possibility off - especially when all of the reporting supports it.

Well, he was out of football the last two years, but was clean enough to be reinstated and has reportedly been clean ever since.  At no point has anyone questioned his talent.  Situations change though.

You're more than welcome to do that.  Might work out that way still, and if no one takes a chance on him, that'll be very telling.  None of us really know.

But if all of the reports are true and a team trades for him, or even if they decide to just pick him up for free once he's released because the Browns already played that card, my own opinion is that it's unlikely a team would do that without having an intention of playing him.  And as talented as he is, if he lands in a place where he can contribute, I'd be foolish to write that possibility off - especially when all of the reporting supports it.
I hope your right! 

The optimism here is strong if not bonkers. The dude got cut out of nowhere - if that is not a sign that he has relapsed then please send me a PM for trade...This has nothing to do with his personal situation. I wish him well.

It's interesting that the Browns want to trade Gordon out of the AFC because it implies that the Browns' management thinks they may have a chance of winning the AFC in the coming years, but don't want Gordon on an AFC rival to bite them in the ###.

But if Gordon is such a headache and detriment to your team that you're cutting him then why not make him a headache and detriment for a conference or division rival as an act of subterfuge?
Because not every one is that cryptic. They know the guy is super talented and needs a change of scenery. They want it to work out the best for him and not have it bite them every year or even worse twice a year. 

If multiple teams want him, it makes sense to keep him farther away from you just in case he becomes productive somewhere else. 

For Gordon's sake, his best landing spot is definitely New England. Something about the discipline there could shape him up. I think it's his last, best chance. 

But since they want him out of the conference, Dallas is the most likely imo. 

Because not every one is that cryptic. They know the guy is super talented and needs a change of scenery. They want it to work out the best for him and not have it bite them every year or even worse twice a year. 
Well, yeah, that's my point.  The Browns' management team doesn't think that Gordon is a total detriment or else they wouldn't be so weary of trading him to a conference or division rival.

The Steelers traded Martavis Bryant to a possible contender in the same conference likely because, in part, the Steelers didn't see knucklehead Bryant helping a conference rival that much and coming back to hurt the Steelers.

The Athletic's Jay Glazer reports Josh Gordon is not facing any further suspensions.

The Cleveland media -- which essentially serves as a mouthpiece for the Browns' organization --passed along innuenduo on Saturday that the team believed Gordon was "on the verge of a relapse," which of course is highly irresponsible to even come close to suggest. Per Glazer, Gordon was not on the hook for any further league discipline as of Friday. CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora's explanation for Gordon's departure from the team made the most sense; La Canfora reported the Browns became fed up with Gordon for showing up late to the facility and not making all of his treatments for a previous hamstring injury.

Sep 16 - 12:28 PM

Agreed, but you've hit on what's bugging me.  They stick with him that long and now abandon him over what appears to be relatively minor or nothing?  It's just weird.  
Maybe there is more to what has been reported, and the Browns don't find it beneficial to them or to Gordon to disclose that information.

Maybe there is more to what has been reported, and the Browns don't find it beneficial to them or to Gordon to disclose that information.
They whispered to their media friendly contacts that the guy was on the verge of relapse which is why they were going to release him. Multiples teams started calling them to make a trade despite the whispers which to me reeks of the Browns making a snap decision and not understanding there is a market for this guy. Now their whispers to the media works against them when trying to maximize what they can get for him.

I suspect Cleveland finally came around to Gordon being a PIA even while sober. Maturity issues persisted with him and they made a snap decision without thinking things through. 

They whispered to their media friendly contacts that the guy was on the verge of relapse which is why they were going to release him.
Who was the whisperer? It could have been a ball boy or an intern of an assistant. For as long as that organization has stood by Gordon, I wouldn't be so quick to judge them. I would think they are aware of the market for Gordon. 

I party less than Mitt Romney and even I get swallowed up by that city.
This is funny, but addiction is such a re-start on life. It's no party. But you know that, and your point is taken. Temptation is rampant in NO. Just read Confederacy of Dunces for affirmation.  

It's on my bucket list of places to visit before I die.   

Who was the whisperer? It could have been a ball boy or an intern of an assistant.
Uh, no. That's not how it works.

The media in Cleveland does not report ANYTHING unless they've got authorization from someone in upper management of one of the local teams. You know why? Because if they ever reported unauthorized rumors from a ball boy, then the management would immediately call up the reporter and tell them "You're cut off."

Cleveland media knows the hand that feeds them, and dares not bite it with unauthorized stories.

Uh, no. That's not how it works.

The media in Cleveland does not report ANYTHING unless they've got authorization from someone in upper management of one of the local teams. You know why? Because if they ever reported unauthorized rumors from a ball boy, then the management would immediately call up the reporter and tell them "You're cut off."

Cleveland media knows the hand that feeds them, and dares not bite it with unauthorized stories.
I believe you could be right about that. I still don't blame the organization on cutting the cord on him. I hope Gordon's sobriety is still in check, but that isn't his only problem. You can't take your job (and your many chances) for granted. There are players on the team that show up on time for their job every day that are hungry to learn and contribute. I hope he grows up and stays on a straight path. You earn your place on a team, and earning your place is much more than just being an extemely talented athlete.

They whispered to their media friendly contacts that the guy was on the verge of relapse which is why they were going to release him. Multiples teams started calling them to make a trade despite the whispers which to me reeks of the Browns making a snap decision and not understanding there is a market for this guy. Now their whispers to the media works against them when trying to maximize what they can get for him.

I suspect Cleveland finally came around to Gordon being a PIA even while sober. Maturity issues persisted with him and they made a snap decision without thinking things through. 
Exactly.  I think that's just it.  "Hey, we finally got this guy straight, and we STILL think he's a jerk  Let's spread phony stories about him!  Wait, will that depress his trade value?  Oops!"  

Dumb with a capital dumb.  

Hairy Snowman said:
He didn't fail a drug test.  He was late for a meeting.  He isn't out of the NFL.  He is off the Browns. 
lying about how you re-injured yourself doesn't help a guy that people already has trust issues with. Plus If I'm not mistaken per NFLPA terms of agreement IF HE DID FAIL A TEST Browns can't come out and say that publicly yet and it usually comes from the league office. Either way I don't care how talented Gordon is. Showing up late and plus his other stuff just shows me he thinks he's entitled. After 6 seasons of his BS I think it's time to cut ties. I would've cut him after the 3rd or 4th year honestly. It's a privilege to play in the NFL not a right or entitlement. Fans need to stop enabling these athletes. I blame the fans just as much as the athlete or media. If this guy was an undrafted nobody he'd been out of the league years ago. This guy has had so much help sent his way only to Crap on the hands of those who have helped him. 

I'm saying this as well as someone with experience trying to help several people with issues not just drug related only to be stabbed in the back and not shown any appreciation for my work/help. I've stopped helping people who don't appreciate it. Gordon reminds me of a very current format coworker. He was using and kept lying about it and it was effecting others at work. I tried helping him along with another co worker. He refused it so I went to my SD and my District Manager to express my concerns. A week later the dude was picked up in West Philly with heroine. That was all on him not me. My boss fired him on the spot 3 days after learning about the arrest. Now his GF is blaming everyone at work and she works there. What she doesn't realize is the guy isn't loyal and is just using her. Once the $$$ runs dry with her he's gone. 

Wish him the best but the NFL is not the place for him and I think he’ll find a lot of the latitude he has been given in CLE over the last few years will not be offered by his new team. He is not committed to playing in the NFL, he’s committed to Josh being Josh and I think Dorsey had enough of it.

Bailing on training camp really hurt his standing with the team in my opinion. Don’t care how much talent you have, you have to be productive to continue to warrant the level of patience the Browns have exercised with him. 

I personally don't know why there are restrictions against weed and not alcohol.  I've never heard of someone driving the wrong way on a four lane highway high on pot.  At worst they just miss their exit.  The way this country is legalizing weed I think the NFL will eventually lift their ban on it, but that obviously won't help anyone right now.
That's not happening till it's legalized in every state. I'm glad the law is being laxed but theres a few people in a certain political party who think it's just as bad as you doing cocaine or worse. 

This is funny, but addiction is such a re-start on life. It's no party. But you know that, and your point is taken. Temptation is rampant in NO. Just read Confederacy of Dunces for affirmation.  

It's on my bucket list of places to visit before I die.   
I can’t spend more than 48 hours there.  Tops.  

With what QB? Den regressed with Dak there. Dez and Gordon are go up and get it physical WRs and Dak is a QB who plays it safe and doesn't throw those types of passes often. Dak needs WR who are playmakers who can get you YACs 

The optimism here is strong if not bonkers. The dude got cut out of nowhere - if that is not a sign that he has relapsed then please send me a PM for trade...This has nothing to do with his personal situation. I wish him well.
Just from what I've read that's reported it sounds like he didn't tell the truth about how he injured his hammy again. He apparently flat-out lied about it. For those who have seen Hard Knocks and saw what Hue Jackson told Callaway about the weed in his car "If you are lying to me I'll have your ###." Like someone else said last night in this thread that message wasn't just for Callaway there. Browns are trying to change their culture there. If that means cutting bait with Josh Gordon for lying then guess what you do it. 

Users who are viewing this thread