What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

>>>> Owning McFadden <<<< (3 Viewers)

Guy went in the 5th and 7th in my drafts. I wouldn't have touched him till the 10th.
As down as I was on this guy last year, I'm seeing value in him this year. He is still a wry talented Rb and they went back to a running scheme that fits his style. He is still the centerpiece of that offense and the best offensive player they have.

Granted I don't have faith in him staying healthy for 16 games either, but a Rb as talented as him that will be as busy as he will while healthy has no business going that late in drafts.

I'd say he's a steal in the 5th rd and beyond.

I owned McFadden the past 2 seasons. I avoided him this season and pity his owners this season. He is talented. But he will be injured. The uncertainty on his return from injury will frustrate you tremendously. That makes the situation worse.

The Raiders have a big problem at QB which will hurt the run game too.

He went round 4 in my league...and I was hands off regardless what round he fell too.

Good luck to the owner starting him.

Got him for $26 in a deep keeper auction, about the same as Lacy and Deangelo (both nominated much later). It was the first time I've ever had to autodraft in my life. I'd set my price on him at $27, but I didn't want it to cost anywhere near that.

I set it a little high because I knew the stud bidding would go nuts, so I needed to make sure I had strong bids on the lower guys.

The mistake was forgetting that DMC would get nominated very early because nobody actually wants him.

Anyway, I'm not totally fired up about the guy, but I don't mind getting him as a flex player or RB2 by committee. He seems like a great candidate to excel in that role. Maybe he's just terrible, but the most likely scenario is that he's a difference maker that misses a lot of games. If you've got a solid RB3/4 to go with him, it's a good situation (and you should be looking to have that anyway).

It's not totally unlike the Gronk dilemma (that most are very happy to deal with for the right value).

Gronk's 2013 injury is absolute. DMC's are likely, but still theoretical at this point.

DMC isn't the difference maker that Gronk is, but he has been in the past and could be again if the new blocking scheme fits him as well as expected.

He's played 32 games over the last 3 seasons, with a per-16 of 1200/450 Rush/Rec yards, 54 rec, and 9 TDs. You're usually getting RB1 production when healthy.

Got him for $26 in a deep keeper auction, about the same as Lacy and Deangelo (both nominated much later). It was the first time I've ever had to autodraft in my life. I'd set my price on him at $27, but I didn't want it to cost anywhere near that.

I set it a little high because I knew the stud bidding would go nuts, so I needed to make sure I had strong bids on the lower guys.

The mistake was forgetting that DMC would get nominated very early because nobody actually wants him.

Anyway, I'm not totally fired up about the guy, but I don't mind getting him as a flex player or RB2 by committee. He seems like a great candidate to excel in that role. Maybe he's just terrible, but the most likely scenario is that he's a difference maker that misses a lot of games. If you've got a solid RB3/4 to go with him, it's a good situation (and you should be looking to have that anyway).

It's not totally unlike the Gronk dilemma (that most are very happy to deal with for the right value).

Gronk's 2013 injury is absolute. DMC's are likely, but still theoretical at this point.

DMC isn't the difference maker that Gronk is, but he has been in the past and could be again if the new blocking scheme fits him as well as expected.

He's played 32 games over the last 3 seasons, with a per-16 of 1200/450 Rush/Rec yards, 54 rec, and 9 TDs. You're usually getting RB1 production when healthy.
Those are good numbers averaged out over a 16 game schedule for sure. However, having owned him his entire career, I can tell you if he's dinged you can rarely start him in confidence and I can't tell you how many games I've lost because he gets hurt in a game. Head to head matchups, you're sweating bullets that he can make it through a game half the time. I like him much better in best ball formats as opposed to head to head where a bagel verus the other guy's 12 points from his running back pretty much precludes you from winning that week. Just FYI. You have to be very careful when you play him and he already has a shoulder injury that you hear they're being just "cautious" about. Caveat emptor.

Just joining this thread to go HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

#### you McFadden, it's laughable that anyone would draft Hurt DMC before the 9th round. Even when healthy last year he still sucked! This guy will never be on my team ever again, last year I was hoping he would just go away as I was happier with Reece in my lineup than DMC. So happy I will not be involved in this thread in 2013 :)

Gotta admit, I've been sick to my stomach since I drafted McFadden in the 4th round. Just a huge run on RB's with even the likes of D. Richardson gone before my pick at 4.02. McFadden obviously has upside, can break long ones and catch passes out of the backfield, but even forgetting about his injury history I just hate the Raiders. My usual mantra is just avoid players (especially RB's) from bad teams, and they may be the worst in the NFL this year. I drafted a slew of upside guys later, but Andre Brown already broke his leg leaving me Bryce Brown and Knowshone Moreno. Granted, I've had round 4 picks bomb a lot of years, so I'm planning on him flopping and will try to secure a better RB2 by hook or crook. The only saving grace is he is a RB2, not a RB1 you had to build a team around. I'm considering him a flex. Hopefully he will do something against the Colts.

I screwed up this year by not going RB with my second pick. Will spend all season trying to recover.

A trade in the works: DMC for Marqise Lee and his #1 pick next year. He came close to winner the Championship but lost and is in desperate need of a RB.

It depends where you get him . If you can get him middle rounds and as a backup or flex its a good thing. BUT that assumes other backs that you could take over him are gone. I look at it this way IF and thats a big IF he stays healthy McFadden is capable of top 5 RB numbers so its a gamble but if you get him at the right position its a good gamble . Ya never know.

I remember the role Model for Injured RB's Fragile Fred Taylor , from 1999 to 2001 he missed 23 games and no one would draft him until later rounds etc . In 2002 he played all 16 games and had over 1700 yards from scrimmage (400 Receiving) including 49 receptions and 8 TD's . Taylor again started all 16 games the next year and had a carear year with over 1,500 rushing yards and 370 recieving yards on 48 passes. He played 14 games the next season for over 1,200 yards . Again just to point out that the patron saint of injured RB's was able to overcome his injury history and become the star player he had the talent to be. Its not likley BUT players like McFadden and R Mathews can be worth the gamble , you just right now do not want them as a starter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to downgrade him as much as I could(projected him to miss 5 games), but he still came out as a good mid round value when I factored in replacement level RB's for his missed games. Thankfully I did not own him last season, but now as officially McFadden owner I just hope that he can give me 10+ games. I'm hoping Pryor ends up starting the majority of games as it seems as if rushing/mobile QB's tend to help their RB's numbers(unless they're like Cam Newton and start vulture TD's).

In a 12 team $200 budget PPR auction redraft, I got him as the 22nd highest sold RB($21), the same dollar range as guys like Lamar Miller, Giovani Bernard(might regret this one) and Daryl Richardson.

I was able to stack up on other positions early and this guy kept falling, and falling, and falling. He fell to me in the 6th Round. Seriously? Psh, I don't care how many games he plays.

When he's healthy, he puts up points. Has a very good chance to blow his 6th Round status to smithereens. I was able to pickup Bradshaw two-rounds later in the 8th. Thinking McFadden can be a great insurance policy to those who don't draft RB early this year.

(I went Calvin Johnson, Jimmy Graham, Andre Johnson with my first '3 picks' and ended up with Chris Johnson, Darren McFadden, Ahmad Bradshaw, and Rashard Mendenhall as my RB.)

I was able to stack up on other positions early and this guy kept falling, and falling, and falling. He fell to me in the 6th Round. Seriously? Psh, I don't care how many games he plays.

When he's healthy, he puts up points. Has a very good chance to blow his 6th Round status to smithereens. I was able to pickup Bradshaw two-rounds later in the 8th. Thinking McFadden can be a great insurance policy to those who don't draft RB early this year.

(I went Calvin Johnson, Jimmy Graham, Andre Johnson with my first '3 picks' and ended up with Chris Johnson, Darren McFadden, Ahmad Bradshaw, and Rashard Mendenhall as my RB.)
I am sort of in same boat as you, but a little bit worse. I passed on running backs from the 6th spot. Went Megatron, Demaryius Thomas, and Andre Johnson on my first three pick. Was ultra desperate for a rb at 4.07 and was in such dire straits that I had to take him - as my RB1!

ETA: When I mean worse, I just mean in terms of the quality of runningbacks on the roster. I am sure most would not see CJ2K as a strong RB1. Even though it's a PPR league, waiting for rb's is about as risky as things can possibly be.

Eminence said:

"When he's healthy, he puts up points." LOL - Apparently you weren't an owner last year?

12 games, 3 total TDs, 3 yards per carry, 59 yards rushing per game played. If it isn't PPR he is unownable! As a DMC owner you should hope he gets hurt and grab Reece.

Oh yea, if you were fortunate to survive to the championship game with this bum on your roster last year, look how he shredded that "amazing" Carolina defense in week 16!

I'd like to see statistics of how many owners have won their league with this POS on their roster, the number is probably tiny!!!

Eminence said:

"When he's healthy, he puts up points." LOL - Apparently you weren't an owner last year?

12 games, 3 total TDs, 3 yards per carry, 59 yards rushing per game played. If it isn't PPR he is unownable! As a DMC owner you should hope he gets hurt and grab Reece.

Oh yea, if you were fortunate to survive to the championship game with this bum on your roster last year, look how he shredded that "amazing" Carolina defense in week 16!

I'd like to see statistics of how many owners have won their league with this POS on their roster, the number is probably tiny!!!
I don't think anyone here is claiming that he was a good pick last year, he clearly was a bust and screwed over all of his owners. This year however he seems like he's well worth a mid round pick as a low RB2/high rb3 in PPR leagues. People drafting him this year don't need him to carry their fantasy football teams as a stud rb1 or even stay healthy for all 16 games to get a return on their investment(assuming you\re not reaching for him compared to his typical ADP in smarter leagues.

fantasycurse42 said:

#### you McFadden, it's laughable that anyone would draft Hurt DMC before the 9th round. Even when healthy last year he still sucked! This guy will never be on my team ever again, last year I was hoping he would just go away as I was happier with Reece in my lineup than DMC. So happy I will not be involved in this thread in 2013 :)
Really hope I get to bump this in a mocking manner soon.

fantasycurse42 said:

Really hope I get to bump this in a mocking manner soon.
I'd wait until the end of the season and not one or two decent showing... He'll probably go nuts in week 1 since I'm playing him in two leagues...

Hate this guy and for some reason drafted him in the 5th. Trying to unload him desperately now.
haha, 5th for me too. I am going to ride him out though and maybe sell high later on. He's my RB3 and Flex
I am in a 14 team league so he is my RB2 behind Alfred Morris. Was hoping to get Lamar Miller for him (who I could have drafted instead of Mcfadden). He has the talent but his situation and injuries worry me.

Judge Smails said:
Gotta admit, I've been sick to my stomach since I drafted McFadden in the 4th round. Just a huge run on RB's with even the likes of D. Richardson gone before my pick at 4.02. McFadden obviously has upside, can break long ones and catch passes out of the backfield, but even forgetting about his injury history I just hate the Raiders. My usual mantra is just avoid players (especially RB's) from bad teams, and they may be the worst in the NFL this year. I drafted a slew of upside guys later, but Andre Brown already broke his leg leaving me Bryce Brown and Knowshone Moreno. Granted, I've had round 4 picks bomb a lot of years, so I'm planning on him flopping and will try to secure a better RB2 by hook or crook. The only saving grace is he is a RB2, not a RB1 you had to build a team around. I'm considering him a flex. Hopefully he will do something against the Colts.

I screwed up this year by not going RB with my second pick. Will spend all season trying to recover.
I'm in the same boat. Think positive. My best backup is Ingram.

BigTex said:
A trade in the works: DMC for Marqise Lee and his #1 pick next year. He came close to winner the Championship but lost and is in desperate need of a RB.
Just got this done. Will be targeting Yeldon or Gurley with that pick.

Week 1 will be the first time we get to see Pryor and McFadden on the field together. I for one am very interested in seeing what that combo yields for McFadden.

I could have traded McFadden for the 1.2 back in July. I passed it up thinking this would be his career year as he seeks that long-term deal. Could have had Lacy. :wall:

Surprised to see that Oakland was one of the most (5th) pass-heavy teams last year:

62.59% pass; 37.41% run.
I think when you're losing as much as they did, you need to pass a lot.

I assumed McFadden will be a beast when healthy, but has a high likelihood of getting hurt. Does anyone have a comment on why his touches and yardage predictions from FBGuys is where it is for week 1?*

*I am a subscriber and don't want to give away too much info, but I'm interested in discussion

I was all sett to avoid him like the plague but there he was at 5.10. I already had Morris, bmarsh, amendola, gore, then took jordy at 6.03. Ppr.

I'll be trading him to some rb starved team as soon as he has a Good game Or 3

what spot did you draft from?

i drafted in the 10 spot, 12 homer league, and ended up with:

1.10 j charles rb

2.3 c johhnson wr

3.10 mcfadden rb (clicked accidentally, wanted d thomas)

4. 3 j graham te

58 Eric Decker, Den WR

63 Steve Smith, Car WR

82 Rashard Mendenhall, Ari RB

etc

i could have crushed this year if i had got thomas but now im scrambling. just picked up reece off waivers.

:cry:

Everybody take two steps back from the ledge. Deep breaths. Relaaaaax.

We're gonna be just fine. McFadden will do well with Pryor as the qb. And if he doesn't or e gets injured, we will find ways to plug that hole in our lineups, BC we are good like that.

Positive thinking!

I was all sett to avoid him like the plague but there he was at 5.10. I already had Morris, bmarsh, amendola, gore, then took jordy at 6.03. Ppr.

If he has three good games, I think you will start rethinking that notion and it will be harder in your mind to move him.

Late225 said:
Surprised to see that Oakland was one of the most (5th) pass-heavy teams last year:

62.59% pass; 37.41% run.
I think when you're losing as much as they did, you need to pass a lot. I assumed McFadden will be a beast when healthy, but has a high likelihood of getting hurt. Does anyone have a comment on why his touches and yardage predictions from FBGuys is where it is for week 1?*

*I am a subscriber and don't want to give away too much info, but I'm interested in discussion
Late225 said:

62.59% pass; 37.41% run.
I think when you're losing as much as they did, you need to pass a lot. I assumed McFadden will be a beast when healthy, but has a high likelihood of getting hurt. Does anyone have a comment on why his touches and yardage predictions from FBGuys is where it is for week 1?*

Take a look at what he did last year when healthy.

Late225 said:

62.59% pass; 37.41% run.

Late225 said:

62.59% pass; 37.41% run.

Take a look at what he did last year when healthy.
Just took a look.

In weeks 1-8, (not counting 9 because I think he got hurt midway through that game), he was in the top 15 of running backs (12 in the league I checked). The last three weeks he played (that I had access to in my league, 14-16), He was running back #20. FBGuys projections has him closer to end of the year McFadden versus first half of the year McFadden. After thinking more about it, I guess that's fair.

Ok fellow McFadden owners, after he put up a semi-decent game, this maybe the opportunity some of us were waiting for.. do you offer him for Wilson/Ridley/Miller?

He would have had a very good game if he got both feet in on that TD catch. I was quite happy with mcfadden's performance today. Not actively looking to move him as I think better games are in store for him with pryor at QB. Things will continue to open up for mcfadden as pryor commands more and more respect and the coaches learn to work the offensive schemes to their talents. Contrary to what most thought, the raiders are going to have an exciting offense this year. I'm holding or buying.

Ok fellow McFadden owners, after he put up a semi-decent game, this maybe the opportunity some of us were waiting for.. do you offer him for Wilson/Ridley/Miller?
Maybe for Wilson but I wouldn't for the others in PPR. Maybe not even Wilson. Especially not until he plays JAX this week. After that game, I'll look to sell high.

Part of me worries that Pryor is going to turn this into Carolina west, where the QB puts up big numbers on the ground, but the RB position is devalued...but then I think if Flynn was in there would be 10 guys in the box.

His YPC sucked, the Oakland line doesn't look good, but he was involved and if teams start scheming more for Pryor, maybe things will open up more for DMC.

He would have had a very good game if he got both feet in on that TD catch. I was quite happy with mcfadden's performance today. Not actively looking to move him as I think better games are in store for him with pryor at QB. Things will continue to open up for mcfadden as pryor commands more and more respect and the coaches learn to work the offensive schemes to their talents. Contrary to what most thought, the raiders are going to have an exciting offense this year. I'm holding or buying.
Agree. Raider offense was, dare I say, exciting today. Pryor and McFadden could be a dynamic combo once they gel some more.

So so so close to a 30 yard td catch.

If he has three good games, I think you will start rethinking that notion and it will be harder in your mind to move him.
may sell after the jax game. value is building

It just seems it's very high risk to hold him, then again I wouldn't trade him for Miller. Ridley maybe, and Wilson bombed so badly that it's hard to make that move too.

Very strange position to be in, but I'm fearful that selling 1 week too early is better than trying to sell 1 week late.

I'd seek a deal, a little later into the season. But it's all about value. Terrelle Pryor is going to open up the field for DMC and the running lanes will open up if he Pryor can continue to be servicable as a passer. 65% passing and 7.5 YPA is better than servicable.

I'm going to let his value percolate and maybe sell high after the Jacksonville game. I stole DMC in the 6th round, and if I can swap for someone originally drafted in the 3rd round (not named David Wilson or Lamar Miller), that's my trigger point.

I'm not selling. I don't have huge or healthy expectations for the season, but I just don't see too many opportunities to make a clear upgrade.

Unless you are getting Top 15 type back in return, there's not much point. The only guys to even potentially catch a panicky owner with are Ridley, Wilson, and Miller.

I don't like owning NE RBs, and I don't think Miller's value should've ever been much higher than DMC anyway. Wilson's the only guy I'd consider doing it for.

I'd jump on an MJD or CJ2K panicker, but that's hard to imagine.

Most likely, trying to sell DMC won't end up in a clear upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread