What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Sam Bradford - QB (4 Viewers)

People get traded in the NFL. Starting QBs even mediocre ones are worth something. If a team wants him, they'll happily give up a 2nd or 3rd for a starting QB.
I think there is a better chance the Eagles trade him than Bradford staying on the team all season long. Bradford will be begging to get released or traded if he starts the season out bad.

Imagine they struggle against Cleveland week 1? Bradford will be literally kicked out of Philadelphia

I think there is a better chance the Eagles trade him than Bradford staying on the team all season long. Bradford will be begging to get released or traded if he starts the season out bad.

Imagine they struggle against Cleveland week 1? Bradford will be literally kicked out of Philadelphia
yup, Bradford won't be on the Eagles opening day roster.  it will be a train wreck for them if he starts out poorly.  all the fans will be clamoring to see the QB they draft #2 to start.

yup, Bradford won't be on the Eagles opening day roster.  it will be a train wreck for them if he starts out poorly.  all the fans will be clamoring to see the QB they draft #2 to start.
Fans can clamor all they want but if we get rid of Bradford, we'll see plenty of Chase Daniel all season.

Fans can clamor all they want but if we get rid of Bradford, we'll see plenty of Chase Daniel all season.
Is that really such a bad thing? They thought enough of the guy to pay him $7M a year to come here.

You, of all people, should know that everyone already knows what we have in Bradford, and it's average on his best day. Why not give Daniel a chance to at least clear that bar?

I'd hope they hang onto Bradford, he plays well this year and potentially ups his stock.  Trade him next year.  Wentz needs at least a year on the bench, so at the end of the day, who cares if its Bradford or Daniel?

Was just thinking though, with all the gushing about Wentz on the radio today, I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that he'll go #1 this year and a wave of shock/anger will radiate through this city.  

Is that really such a bad thing? They thought enough of the guy to pay him $7M a year to come here.

You, of all people, should know that everyone already knows what we have in Bradford, and it's average on his best day. Why not give Daniel a chance to at least clear that bar?
Oh believe me, either way I'm fine. I was just commenting on the fans clamoring for the rookie part. No way Wentz starts until late in the season at the earliest.

I actually think Daniel is good enough to get us to 8-8. 

Only if you could talk a team into covering another 11 million and or getting Bradford to take a pay cut. I suppose it's possible. I would think very difficult considering you have to compensate the Eagles too, who gave a 2nd round pick to get Bradford last season and find a team willing to take Bradford with his injury history, but this season with a team moving from 15 to 1 and another moving twice in the top 13 anything is possible. :D
Why would Bradford have to take a pay cut? He makes way less than the league average. I don't like Bradford but he is a starter in the league. If a team needs a starter, a 3rd round pick is more than worth it. A 2nd would be gravy for the Eagles.

Great article!

Hard to hate a pro athlete more than Bradford. Behind Greg Hardy and a small handful of others, I can't think of someone I want to read bad stuff about more.

#### this guy, just #### him!! Overpaid worthless sack of garbage crybaby #####.
I always enjoy it when people feel really passionate about things.

I always enjoy it when people feel really passionate about things.
:shrug:

There are few people on this planet who have made this much money for doing so little. Maybe a few Saudi Princes and a couple of extremely lucky trust fund babies.

Yet this guy who has been gifted 9 figures for doing nothing complains, he's showing his true colors as a real POS.

:shrug:

There are few people on this planet who have made this much money for doing so little. Maybe a few Saudi Princes and a couple of extremely lucky trust fund babies.

Yet this guy who has been gifted 9 figures for doing nothing complains, he's showing his true colors as a real POS.
You realize that 9 figures is peanuts compared to what the kids of every NFL owner have, right? Lurie's worth is well over a billion and he has accomplished less than Bradford.

Great article!

Hard to hate a pro athlete more than Bradford. Behind Greg Hardy and a small handful of others, I can't think of someone I want to read bad stuff about more.

#### this guy, just #### him!! Overpaid worthless sack of garbage crybaby #####.
He's a whiny baby without an ability to see how others view him. But compared with the drunk drivers and women beaters of the league, he's an angel. 

You realize that 9 figures is peanuts compared to what the kids of every NFL owner have, right? Lurie's worth is well over a billion and he has accomplished less than Bradford.
You realize I noted some lucky trust fund babies from what you quoted, right? In fact it was the second sentence. I see you bolded something in the first sentence and the third sentence, did you skip the second sentence? 

You realize I noted some lucky trust fund babies from what you quoted, right? In fact it was the second sentence. I see you bolded something in the first sentence and the third sentence, did you skip the second sentence? 
I'm saying that even within this small realm of NFL football, there are dozens of people who are fortunate to hold orders of magnitude more wealth than Bradford who have done a lot less.

I'm saying that even within this small realm of NFL football, there are dozens of people who are fortunate to hold orders of magnitude more wealth than Bradford who have done a lot less.
If Sam plays this year and earns his $7m salary and gets cut to earn and extra $4m for doing nothing next year, he'll have made $100m in salary alone. That places him around 19-25 all time in highest paid NFL players based just on salary received. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/highest-paid-nfl-players-2015-11

All the guys on that list though have done something. 

If Sam plays this year and earns his $7m salary and gets cut to earn and extra $4m for doing nothing next year, he'll have made $100m in salary alone. That places him around 19-25 all time in highest paid NFL players based just on salary received. 

http://www.businessinsider.com/highest-paid-nfl-players-2015-11

All the guys on that list though have done something. 
I was talking about the families of owners, and many of the owners themselves, including Jeff Lurie, who are all billionaires and often have accomplished nothing.

I was talking about the families of owners, and many of the owners themselves, including Jeff Lurie, who are all billionaires and often have accomplished nothing.
Yea and FC covered that. As an actual player, Sam is probably the most unaccomplished rich man in the history of the league.

As an actual player, Sam is probably the most unaccomplished rich man in the history of the league.
I'd love to see a $-per-TD breakdown or something like that for Bradford, and then compare that figure against some of the less-regarded QBs of the league.  I am not sure whether there is anyone else in the NFL who has consistently been paid so much to deliver so little.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd love to see a $-per-TD breakdown or something like that for Bradford, and then compare that figure against some of the less-regarded QBs of the league.  I am not sure whether there is anyone else in the NFL who has consistently been paid so much to deliver so little.
Well Sam has made $89m for 78 TDs so far. $11m is this year's signing bonus though so that's not entirely fair. Just a $1mil per TD then. 

If Sam comes in and plays well for a year or two he could easily earn a $22 million per year 5 year deal with someone else. Yikes!

GordonGekko said:
A lot of you Eagles homers don't seem to get it. At all.

Your performance as a player has ZERO to do with whether you should or should not be treated with due regard by an NFL front office, given how the league informally operates.

Bradford could be the worst QB1 in the entire world. He could be Todd Marinovich 2.0 for all that matters. He could be the next Johnny Unitas. In the end, there are standards under which a professional NFL front office should behave given the free agent marketplace.

The "rules" for NFL franchises have always been slanted for the benefit of the organization, and not so much for the players and players union. This is the reality of a large roster, a hard cap, heavy attrition within the ranks, short careers and absolutely needed flexibility for a violent sport to function.

What Howie Roseman is doing is goading the NFLPA to push for a grace period for any free agent signing ( i.e. if you sign or resign Player X, you cannot trade him until Date Y ) In professional sports, there is always a push/pull system when it comes to rights versus opportunity. NBA 1st round picks are guaranteed at least their first two years of slotted money. 2nd round picks are guaranteed nothing. It's why teams who contend, and are pushing close to the cap will gladly jettison their super late 1st rounder for a 2nd or an international player or any situation where they aren't locked into guaranteed money. It's a double edged sword. The first rounder gets more time to develop, if he develops slowly. But he reaches his practical free agency window later. A successful 2nd rounder, like a Gilbert Arenas or a Chandler Parsons,  however, can cash in much sooner, but their situation is generally one with less rope, less of a margin of error and won't get the same opportunities as many 1st rounders, esp high 1st rounders.  The ability to sign a player and then immediately trade him was meant for flexibility, for the betterment of team building and allowing players to find their best opportunities, it was never meant to allow a GM ( Roseman) to "churn" a player like a raw asset in the same offseason. Down the road, this behavior doesn't just hurt the Eagles ( and it's going to hurt the Eagles, Tom Condon and CAA will not take this laying down) it's going to hurt all NFL teams. Now to take a flier on a fringe veteran or a possible "prove it" reclamation project, the NFLPA will push for more guarantees, a larger buyout system, a more robust injury settlement system, a grace period and trade protections within standard NFL contracts. Dan Snyder decides he's going to buck the system. Pay his defensive and offensive coordinators what is essentially head coaching money or more. What he ended up doing was driving up the market price for coaches all over the league.  So when a team is paying two head coaches already, and don't go for that next coach because it's cheaper to pay the guy there already and let him ride out his contract, part of that problem is on Dan Snyder.  Snyder has made it harder to move on from a bad coach for all teams, all because he wanted to maximize a short term issue for himself in an isolated situation, the rest of the league and the impact on the league marketplace be damned.  Whether or not Sam Bradford "sucks" as a player has nothing to do with whether or not he should be treated "fairly" according to how the league informally operates. You don't tell a player he's a starter, promise not to trade for or draft a QB1 and then go and do the opposite, and then hold the player hostage for trade bait.  Roseman is doubling down, if Wentz is a 15 year HOF QB1, he figures it won't matter anyway, basically burning his rep, however if Wentz fails, the next big ticket draft guy the Eagles want, if it's a CAA client or anyone in bed with CAA, they'll have to pay for it, pretty much forever. Roseman is even tripling down, sourcing out to the press to rip Bradford in this entire mess. This only hurts the Eagles in the future. Again, some of you just don't care and some of you don't really get the full implications of whats going on here. There are things, just because you CAN do them, doesn't mean you SHOULD do them, esp when there is an informal structure about what is considered acceptable and non acceptable behavior by an NFL GM. Roseman didn't just cheat Bradford and Condon and CAA, he's cheating every last single Eagles fan out there. He's making it harder for the Eagles to operate with flexibility in the future.
Bradford was promised the starting job in '16 and given $22 million in guarantees. Nothing changed with the selection of Wentz given the desired red shirt year.

Bradford became trade bait when he decided to attempt to create an untenable situation.

It's fascinating to me to hear the complete lack of support Condon and Bradford are receiving from all sides. Please link to anyone league wide, agent, player, coach, front office exec, water boy, cheerleader, who thinks Bradford was done dirty.

Also, please link how Roseman is sourcing out to the press to rip Bradford. All I have read from Roseman is that they still want him back despite his petulance.

Instead of being concerned about the Eagles going forward, the concern should be in the Condon/CAA offices. For someone that's supposedly one step down from Goddell with regard to the insight of every front office in the league, he poorly misjudged the marketplace for a potential starting QB. He encouraged his client to settle for a 2 year contract, thereby inherently creating the situation where the Eagles could seek his replacement without long term financial ramifications. Then just a few months later, 2 high profile starting jobs in Denver and NYJ aren't filled and his client is left reflecting on the potential loss of tens of millions of dollars in guaranteed money and the desired long term stability, ironically the very thing his client is now crying about.

Considering Condon's gross mismanagement of Bradford, it will be interesting to see what is done by CAA to undo the lingering perception around the league and possible long term damage to his rep.

GordonGekko said:
A lot of you Eagles homers don't seem to get it. At all.

Your performance as a player has ZERO to do with whether you should or should not be treated with due regard by an NFL front office, given how the league informally operates.

Bradford could be the worst QB1 in the entire world. He could be Todd Marinovich 2.0 for all that matters. He could be the next Johnny Unitas. In the end, there are standards under which a professional NFL front office should behave given the free agent marketplace.

The "rules" for NFL franchises have always been slanted for the benefit of the organization, and not so much for the players and players union. This is the reality of a large roster, a hard cap, heavy attrition within the ranks, short careers and absolutely needed flexibility for a violent sport to function.

What Howie Roseman is doing is goading the NFLPA to push for a grace period for any free agent signing ( i.e. if you sign or resign Player X, you cannot trade him until Date Y ) In professional sports, there is always a push/pull system when it comes to rights versus opportunity. NBA 1st round picks are guaranteed at least their first two years of slotted money. 2nd round picks are guaranteed nothing. It's why teams who contend, and are pushing close to the cap will gladly jettison their super late 1st rounder for a 2nd or an international player or any situation where they aren't locked into guaranteed money. It's a double edged sword. The first rounder gets more time to develop, if he develops slowly. But he reaches his practical free agency window later. A successful 2nd rounder, like a Gilbert Arenas or a Chandler Parsons,  however, can cash in much sooner, but their situation is generally one with less rope, less of a margin of error and won't get the same opportunities as many 1st rounders, esp high 1st rounders.  The ability to sign a player and then immediately trade him was meant for flexibility, for the betterment of team building and allowing players to find their best opportunities, it was never meant to allow a GM ( Roseman) to "churn" a player like a raw asset in the same offseason. Down the road, this behavior doesn't just hurt the Eagles ( and it's going to hurt the Eagles, Tom Condon and CAA will not take this laying down) it's going to hurt all NFL teams. Now to take a flier on a fringe veteran or a possible "prove it" reclamation project, the NFLPA will push for more guarantees, a larger buyout system, a more robust injury settlement system, a grace period and trade protections within standard NFL contracts. Dan Snyder decides he's going to buck the system. Pay his defensive and offensive coordinators what is essentially head coaching money or more. What he ended up doing was driving up the market price for coaches all over the league.  So when a team is paying two head coaches already, and don't go for that next coach because it's cheaper to pay the guy there already and let him ride out his contract, part of that problem is on Dan Snyder.  Snyder has made it harder to move on from a bad coach for all teams, all because he wanted to maximize a short term issue for himself in an isolated situation, the rest of the league and the impact on the league marketplace be damned.  Whether or not Sam Bradford "sucks" as a player has nothing to do with whether or not he should be treated "fairly" according to how the league informally operates. You don't tell a player he's a starter, promise not to trade for or draft a QB1 and then go and do the opposite, and then hold the player hostage for trade bait.  Roseman is doubling down, if Wentz is a 15 year HOF QB1, he figures it won't matter anyway, basically burning his rep, however if Wentz fails, the next big ticket draft guy the Eagles want, if it's a CAA client or anyone in bed with CAA, they'll have to pay for it, pretty much forever. Roseman is even tripling down, sourcing out to the press to rip Bradford in this entire mess. This only hurts the Eagles in the future. Again, some of you just don't care and some of you don't really get the full implications of whats going on here. There are things, just because you CAN do them, doesn't mean you SHOULD do them, esp when there is an informal structure about what is considered acceptable and non acceptable behavior by an NFL GM. Roseman didn't just cheat Bradford and Condon and CAA, he's cheating every last single Eagles fan out there. He's making it harder for the Eagles to operate with flexibility in the future.
This idea that Roseman promised something is hilarious.  When did this become fact? 

Unfortunately,  if someone rejects the idea that Roseman somehow promised Sam he would not go and get a long term QB,  after signing Sam to a SHORT TERM contract,  it renders the rest of your jibber jabber pointless. 

Roseman isn't churning his roster,  he has a present, and future QB.

That's kind of the goal.  It's how the league "informally operates".   :thumbup:

News today is Bradford is showing up to camp.

Finally, we can get to this "competition".

I wonder what will happen:  Bradford gets the starting job because of "familiarity" and the knowledge that the coaches know you can always go Bradford then Wentz but you really can't go back once you go Wentz

OR

Wentz just makes it obvious that he is the guy right now and the office knows given what they paid to get him they need to push forward?

Bradford was promised the starting job in '16 and given $22 million in guarantees. Nothing changed with the selection of Wentz given the desired red shirt year.

Bradford became trade bait when he decided to attempt to create an untenable situation.

It's fascinating to me to hear the complete lack of support Condon and Bradford are receiving from all sides. Please link to anyone league wide, agent, player, coach, front office exec, water boy, cheerleader, who thinks Bradford was done dirty.

Also, please link how Roseman is sourcing out to the press to rip Bradford. All I have read from Roseman is that they still want him back despite his petulance.

Instead of being concerned about the Eagles going forward, the concern should be in the Condon/CAA offices. For someone that's supposedly one step down from Goddell with regard to the insight of every front office in the league, he poorly misjudged the marketplace for a potential starting QB. He encouraged his client to settle for a 2 year contract, thereby inherently creating the situation where the Eagles could seek his replacement without long term financial ramifications. Then just a few months later, 2 high profile starting jobs in Denver and NYJ aren't filled and his client is left reflecting on the potential loss of tens of millions of dollars in guaranteed money and the desired long term stability, ironically the very thing his client is now crying about.

Considering Condon's gross mismanagement of Bradford, it will be interesting to see what is done by CAA to undo the lingering perception around the league and possible long term damage to his rep.

Was going to respond and then I saw "GordonGecko".

You covered it anyway.

I wonder what will happen:  Bradford gets the starting job because of "familiarity" and the knowledge that the coaches know you can always go Bradford then Wentz but you really can't go back once you go Wentz

OR

Wentz just makes it obvious that he is the guy right now and the office knows given what they paid to get him they need to push forward?

Confirmed.

Jeremy Fowler ‏@JFowlerESPN  48m48 minutes ago
Sam Bradford has reported to the Eagles, per source. He's in the building. Good sign as team starts another... http://es.pn/1Tzulhi 

Of course he showed up... This will be his last big payday for doing nothing, he has to know this. He isn't just going to walk away from the free money. I guess maybe he had become so accustomed to free money he thought there could be more, but his agent prob put him slightly in touch with reality. He knows the Bradford gravy train is rolling to a stop, so he wants this free Sam money too.

Nothing surprising here.

Agent Tom Condon admitted on the Rich Eisen Show that Sam Bradford's camp requested a trade out of Philadelphia with a "goal" of "plac(ing) Bradford in Denver."
It's a good look into the dealings between an agent and teams. "We thought we had a chance to go to a really good team and be there for a long time," Condon explained. "And that opportunity was there and actually the attempt was made. When the Broncos contacted the Eagles and talked about the trade, they couldn't agree on the price and so they drafted somebody in the first round (Paxton Lynch). ... So our next best option is to go back and prepare for the season." Bradford's camp ultimately caved, and he is now seen as having thrown a temper tantrum. It remains difficult to empathize with a league-average or worse player to whom the Eagles committed an $11 million signing bonus just ten weeks ago.

Related: Broncos

Source: NFL.com 
May 11 - 8:53 PM

OR

Poor Chase. The guy finally made it as an NFL starter but just as a hypothetical and now he's forgotten again

Poor Chase. The guy finally made it as an NFL starter but just as a hypothetical and now he's forgotten again
Right.  He should probably meet with the management, get pissy and storm out vowing to never return and demand a trade because it just hit him that the deal he signed wasn't for starter money

He can then have his agent say he just wanted a chance to go to a GOOD team for a long time but he'll settle for us.

After he does that you can defend him too :lmao:

Right.  He should probably meet with the management, get pissy and storm out vowing to never return and demand a trade because it just hit him that the deal he signed wasn't for starter money

He can then have his agent say he just wanted a chance to go to a GOOD team for a long time but he'll settle for us.

After he does that you can defend him too :lmao:
haha good one.

He didn't reach that pinnacle (starter) in his career yet. There IS something to that in my opinion. All summer, the hard work and effort and then the coaches entrusting you to lead the team. I just was rooting for him. I've really grown tired of Alex Smith and Chase really slings it in preseason. It seemed he was due to get his shot.

Every May there are projects that need "seasoning" but the NFL doesn't usually afford them the time to develop. They're usually cut before that point. He's been around and "for once" a QB did get the time so it actually looks like the draft folks were right and he did develop into a fine QB.

We'll never know without that opportunity and yeah I'll forever hate that and wish anyone like that could somehow get a starting spot somewhere. I never got to see Michael Bishop start but he threw some of the prettiest passes. I was one of like three people that thought Armanti Edwards should get a shot as an NFL QB.

It usually is the player can't do this or doesn't do that well and there's good reason. When ya see Chase sling it for 200 some odd yards in a half of a preseason game, that's hold on wait a sec- whatever he couldn't do well enough umm he clearly does now. 

And yeah I would root for him to be traded. The Eagles can get some late round project QB for third string and a Hasselbeck type for a backup. I'm tired of seeing him rock in preseason and anxious to see him get a chance.

I think THAT is something understated by many. (Although there was an article on Daniel yesterday, in his favor) What will they do if he looks sharp in preseason and Sam looks like a QB learning a new system and Wentz looks like a rook getting his feet wet? Very few even breathe his name nevermind consider him a potential starter for the Eagles. That'll shock some but would really be quite predictable with his prior preseason success.

If I had to guess. I think what will happen. Chase is going to look sharp in preseason and in camp and then Sam will be traded mid-summer. 

Speaking Friday, coach Doug Pederson said, barring injury, Sam Bradford will be the Eagles' Week 1 starter.
Beyond that, it's anyone's guess. We don't imagine the leash will be all that loose for Bradford, but Pederson has stood behind this decision all along. He's adamant that he wants first-rounder Carson Wentz to watch and learn in year one. But if Bradford face-plants for a stretch -- which seems likely based on his career arc to this point -- it's going to be awfully tough for Pederson to not make a switch, especially in one of the hottest media markets in the league.

Related: Carson Wentz

Source: Jeff McLane on Twitter 
Jun 3 - 11:52 AM

Philly Voice's Jimmy Kempski considers Sam Bradford "extremely unlikely" to be on the Eagles' 2017 roster.
Kempski's salary cap number in 2017 is $22.5 million. The Eagles will be able to save $13 million by releasing him next offseason, or $17 million by finding a trade partner. Throw in the No. 2 overall selection of Carson Wentz and Bradford is indeed extremely unlikely to last in Philadelphia beyond this season.

Source: Philly Voice 
Jul 24 - 3:49 PM

Users who are viewing this thread