What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which RB would you take? (1 Viewer)

Most talented RB All-time

• Jim Brown

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • Walter Payton

Votes: 20 10.8%
  • Eric Dickerson

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Barry Sanders

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • Adrian Peterson

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • Bo Jackson

Votes: 35 18.9%
  • Earl Campbell

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Gale Sayers

Votes: 12 6.5%
  • Ladainian Tomlinson

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • O.J. Simpson

• Marshall Faulk

• Total voters
"Pure talent"... it's Bo Jackson and it's not close. He is one of the premier athletes of our lifetime.

Now mind you, that doesn't mean he is the "best running back" on this list. But that wasn't the question.

It's an interesting conversation... I've only seen one(I saw Barry against tampa his last year not counting)

Peterson is by far the best player I've seen, I'm wondering what the rest of everyone thinks.

Clearly I'm biased by my generation so I want to get a full idea on who thinks what

Does anyone think Peterson is as talented as the all-time greats?

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up loving Barry Sanders.

I believe that if Peterson can stay healthy he will go down as the best. He is amazing on every level.

"Pure talent"... it's Bo Jackson and it's not close. He is one of the premier athletes of our lifetime.Now mind you, that doesn't mean he is the "best running back" on this list. But that wasn't the question.
yea, I mean't pure talent... it seems Bo was the best...Anyone who was around when he was playing... was he really that much more dominant than ADP now(aka before the injury)?

Okoye, Mack, The Bus, Harris, Dorsett...this list could be expanded and those are just a few. I went Payton, but I also agree with the Bo Jackson argument.

"Pure talent"... it's Bo Jackson and it's not close. He is one of the premier athletes of our lifetime.

Now mind you, that doesn't mean he is the "best running back" on this list. But that wasn't the question.
yea, I mean't pure talent... it seems Bo was the best...Anyone who was around when he was playing... was he really that much more dominant than ADP now(aka before the injury)?
Again, you're asking different things here. Pure talent doesn't always translate into being dominant at one's sport. Walter Payton was the best all-around football player I've ever seen. He could run and catch and block better than anyone (IMHO). To your second question, had Bo played football only and not gotten hurt, the sky was the limit.

Again, you're asking different things here. Pure talent doesn't always translate into being dominant at one's sport. Walter Payton was the best all-around football player I've ever seen. He could run and catch and block better than anyone (IMHO). To your second question, had Bo played football only and not gotten hurt, the sky was the limit.
:goodposting: The part you italicized is why I voted for Walter Payton as that's how I understood the "which RB would you take?" part - which one do I want on my team? The best football player, clearly.

Tomlinson > Peterson
Yeah, he left Mercury Morris & Tony Dorsett off the list too. :kicksrock: Dang youngins'. They think the '85 Bears were "old-timers". Pashaw. I got shoes older than some of these posters. ;)

I picked Bo. It is always difficult with these questions as I feel that Brown was the most dominant of his era.

Its a shame Bo never put 16 games out there as a work horse. Grew up watching Barry here in Detroit, his 2k game vs the jets was nuts.

Jim Brown dominated his era like no other RB dominated an era. I gotta give him the nod, even though in today's game Barry Sanders would be the best RB.

SWEETNESS. None better
:thumbup: What a great list. You could certainly make an argument for any of them. Barry Sanders was electrifying to watch . . . Bo had a combo of strength and speed which was downright scary . . . Jim Brown was dominant and ahead of his time. I voted Sweetness, however. He was such a natural; Walter Payton was made to run with a football.

Are we talking overall football talent or just running ability? Walter is definitely the best football player on that list. Guy could run, catch, pass, block, you name it he did it. No one ran with more heart or desire. Those other guys on the list are great but to me Walter is in a class by himself.

You really should have included Emmitt Smith and OJ Simpson.
Sorry, OJ fine, but Emmitt? I dont think many (save Cowboy fans) would include him in the discussion. He would definately go in the "Hall of the Very Good" based on talent - but much of his production can be attributed to what many believe to be one of the best run-blocking o-lines in history and playing alongside Aikman, Irvin and strong offensive unit. Many of the other guys on the list were the only option on their respective offenses.

You really should have included Emmitt Smith and OJ Simpson.
Sorry, OJ fine, but Emmitt? I dont think many (save Cowboy fans) would include him in the discussion. He would definately go in the "Hall of the Very Good" based on talent - but much of his production can be attributed to what many believe to be one of the best run-blocking o-lines in history and playing alongside Aikman, Irvin and strong offensive unit. Many of the other guys on the list were the only option on their respective offenses.
I would agree. Definitely include OJ. But no to emmit

You are crazy if you don't think emmitt could be included he gets so much disrespect because he has a dominant online! But no one ever mentions that Eric Dicjerson played behind one of the best Olines ever!!

With all this talk about RB I miss the true NFL RUNNING GAME!! I like QB but I miss the days of the Bettis and the dickersons paytons Christian okiye

Jim Brown was an absolute beast, played in an era where color still mattered, a battering ram that racked up amazing stats when you factor in a 12 game schedule...if I could go back in time to Cleveland in the 1950s and sit in the stands for 1 game to watch him run the ball...I got to see Barry and Sweetness, each of them amazing but Jim Brown makes my jaw drop when I see the footage.

There are several good answers but Brown will always have my vote.

You are crazy if you don't think emmitt could be included he gets so much disrespect because he has a dominant online! But no one ever mentions that Eric Dicjerson played behind one of the best Olines ever!!
There's a reason Dickerson only has 1 vote out of 100+. He, like Emmitt, is simply not in the same "tier" as the rest of the guys being discussed.

So by 'talented' I assume you mean physical ability. I feel that bigger backs tend to get shorted in these types of discussions, but what they do is just as important. Bettis, for instance, had a freakish combination of size/agility/lateral quickness which made him an amazing short yardage running back.

Rather than combining every physical category and trying to 'average' them or something, it might be more interesting to look at who is the best in certain categories or combinations of categories. For instance, Bo probably had the best combination of size/power/speed, Barry had the best agility/balance/escapability, Tomlinson had the best route running/hands, etc.

So what would reasonable physical categories be? Speed (straight line), agility (change direction), acceleration (stop/start), power (running guys over/breaking arm tackles), escapability/balance (tackle breaking/avoiding tackles), hands (receiving), vision (finding holes). Others you can think of?

So by 'talented' I assume you mean physical ability. I feel that bigger backs tend to get shorted in these types of discussions, but what they do is just as important. Bettis, for instance, had a freakish combination of size/agility/lateral quickness which made him an amazing short yardage running back.

Rather than combining every physical category and trying to 'average' them or something, it might be more interesting to look at who is the best in certain categories or combinations of categories. For instance, Bo probably had the best combination of size/power/speed, Barry had the best agility/balance/escapability, Tomlinson had the best route running/hands, etc.

So what would reasonable physical categories be? Speed (straight line), agility (change direction), acceleration (stop/start), power (running guys over/breaking arm tackles), escapability/balance (tackle breaking/avoiding tackles), hands (receiving), vision (finding holes). Others you can think of?
Yes, nothing to do with stats or situation or even how their career ended up... The bolded sums it up pretty well for me

My vote was for Barry. I've seen him, ADP, and LT live and the lasting memories are of Barry. The funny thing is that I believe if you asked Barry he'd say Jim Brown.

'Ryan99 said:
So by 'talented' I assume you mean physical ability. I feel that bigger backs tend to get shorted in these types of discussions, but what they do is just as important. Bettis, for instance, had a freakish combination of size/agility/lateral quickness which made him an amazing short yardage running back.Rather than combining every physical category and trying to 'average' them or something, it might be more interesting to look at who is the best in certain categories or combinations of categories. For instance, Bo probably had the best combination of size/power/speed, Barry had the best agility/balance/escapability, Tomlinson had the best route running/hands, etc.So what would reasonable physical categories be? Speed (straight line), agility (change direction), acceleration (stop/start), power (running guys over/breaking arm tackles), escapability/balance (tackle breaking/avoiding tackles), hands (receiving), vision (finding holes). Others you can think of?
Bigger backs get shorted in these discussions because people generally rank in terms of yards, and, imo, that is a mistake. I think the value in running the ball is much more in moving the chains vs big plays. Guys like Chris Johnson, even in his CJ2K, probably don't add much to an offense because they are so poor at the skill that makes running backs actually valuable.

Users who are viewing this thread