What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anybody buying on Demarco Murray? (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

The Cowboys are 11-0 when DeMarco Murray has gotten at least 20 carries in his career.

This stat is typically overrated because teams playing with a lead are able to run the ball more often. But in this case, it carries weight because the Cowboys often gave up on Murray and the running game far too soon. He averaged 5.17 YPC on the season, third in the league behind only Andre Ellington (5.52) and Donald Brown (5.26). But he only got 15.5 carries per game and topped the 20-carry mark once over the final 11 weeks. Entering a contract year in 2014, Murray will be hungry for big workloads.

Source: ESPN Dallas

Murray was a great surprise this year - primarily because he stayed mostly healthy. That said, more on this board seemed to doubt his skillset than I think is appropriate. He has a nice size / speed combo, decent vision and not bad cutting ability, plus can catch the ball (can also drop it, hardly faulk, but he's great when he does catch it).

The big missing ingredient had been Murray putting in most of a season, which he did. IF he can stay healthy next year, no reason he can't hover around top 6 or so overall, with some upside if they just gave him the damn ball. Then again, you weigh the extra workload with the fear of injury.

Murray quietly put up an awesome fantasy season, and could easily be an underrated fantasy asset going into next year if the Cowboys don't bring in some major competition for him.

I know the question with Murray has always been health, but I think people who didn't own him this year don't realize just how good he was this year when healthy. Part of the reason he fell so much in his year 3 preseason ranking compared to year 2 was that, not only did he not stay healthy in year 2, but when he was healthy he wasn't as good as that super dynamic FF-championship running back we saw in his few starts as a rookie.

This year, he was.

Part of the reason that it's overlooked is that so many of the yards came as a receiver, but an even bigger part is that people aren't really accounting for the fact that he didn't just miss two games, but he was sparingly used in the two games around his injury as well (left in the 1st quarter of the game he got hurt and was eased back in the week he came back). People look at his numbers and think of them as coming in 14 games, which then translates to almost a full season, but really they came in just 3/4's of a season.

In the 12 games around his injury he actually put up 1371 total yards and 9 TDs at over 5ypc. Prorated over a full season that's 1850/12, which would have made him the #3 RB behind only Charles and McCoy.

In short, there seems to be the general perception that he's an injury prone guy that can be a low-end RB1 or solid RB2 when healthy. The reality, this year at least, was that he's an injury prone guy that can be a top 3 overall RB that carries your team on his back when healthy.

Murray was a great calculated risk this year.

Next year, he'll be way over-valued. People will pay for 16 games of his production and will likely get far less than that. Just like DMC a couple years back. Just like countless other injury-prone backs after they have a great season.

Buyer beware. Anyone can get injured, but his chances are much higher than most.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Dallas considers DeMarco Murray "doubtful" to receive a contract extension this offseason.

It's become extremely rare for NFL teams to commit big money to running backs before their contracts expire. Murray is signed for $755,469 in 2014, the final year of his rookie deal. Murray finally stayed healthy for the most part in 2013, missing just two games and leading all NFL rushers in yards per carry (5.17) among players with at least 200 attempts. He turns 26 next month.

Im buying.a player like him in last year of a rookie contract will be looking to post lofty numbers to secure a huge contract going forward...he was a pure stud this season..Now, 2015 is a different story, once players get the money they become fat cats who underacheive like CJ 1.2k..

I like the kid. When he's on the field he scores points. Definitely buying but in a dynasty situation his price is probably a bit high now. Time to buy him is when he gets hurt again.

Rotoworld:

DeMarco Murray triggered an escalator in his rookie contract, raising his 2014 base salary from $755,469 to $1.389 million.

Murray, the 71st pick in the 2011 draft, received the bump in pay because he played at least 35 percent of the offensive snaps in his first three seasons. Entering the final year of his rookie deal, Murray isn't expected to receive a contract extension before the season. He turned 26 on Wednesday and will have to prove he can stay healthy like he did for much of the 2013 campaign.

If he is able to stay healthy again (I'll consider 14 games with a minor injury good enough), he could be in line for a decent pay day. RB is a devalued position in the NFL today monetarily, but there will be a couple teams that could use what he brings to the field... again, if he can stay on the field.

As far as Fantasy, he has just about as much upside as anyone outside of the elite 3 backs or so, especially on a game by game basis. However, for that to happen he needs both health and the right playcalling which has killed him, at no fault of his own. With that in mind, he likely will go a bit too high this year, but once you get to other backs with question marks in the second half of the first round he should be in that mix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

DeMarco Murray led all running backs (minimum 50 attempts) in yards per carry against base defenses last season.
Murray averaged a robust 5.7 yards per carry on 130 attempts against base sets, ahead of LeGarrette Blount (5.4), Kendall Hunter (5.4) and Jamaal Charles (5.1). It speaks volumes about his natural running ability. Of course, we're expecting less carries and more catches for Murray as Scott Linehan installs his pass-happy, spread scheme in Dallas. Either way, Murray is going to be on the low-end RB1 radar with upside in PPR formats.

Source: profootballfocus.com

DeMarco Murray one of NFL's best, Cowboys coach saysBy Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Leading up to the trade deadline last October, the Dallas Cowboys were questioning whether DeMarco Murray was reliable enough to go forward as the featured back.

Six months later, running backs coach Gary Brown views Murray as a perennial Pro Bowl selection.

"He's just scratched the surface," Brown said, per the team's official website. "I think he's one of the better backs in the league -- he just has to go out and prove it now."

Murray led all qualifying running backs in yards per carry (5.7) against base defenses last season, per Pro Football Focus.

Finally shaking the injury bug, he averaged 17 carries and 95 rushing yards over the last seven games of the season.

Although Murray is an obvious candidate for an extension entering the final year of his rookie contract, the Cowboys' salary cap woes and the league-wide depreciation of the position suggest his future will be addressed after the 2014 season.

Murray's natural ability is impressive enough to prevent the Cowboys from overspending on Chris Johnson. Durability concerns suggest the front office should still seek an upgrade on Lance Dunbar or Joseph Randle as the No. 2 back.

In the latest edition of the "Around The League Podcast", the guys discuss "Draft Day," then break down who got better (and who got worse) in the AFC East.

Scott Linehan: Dallas Cowboys are going to lean more on DeMarco Murray and the running gameBy Jon Machota

Scott Linehan is known for directing pass-heavy offenses. During his previous five seasons as Detroit’s offensive coordinator, no team threw the ball more. Over those 80 games, the Lions averaged 40.7 pass attempts per game, four more than the Dallas Cowboys averaged during that time.

So, it was somewhat surprising to hear the new Cowboys offensive play-caller talking on the radio about how Pro Bowl running back DeMarco Murray and the Dallas running game would be the team’s strength this season.

“Things that were done last year in the running game with DeMarco, the running style that was created here is really a good fit,” Linehan said recently on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. “That’s going to be our strength, being able to lean on that running game a little bit more than they have in the past.

“Obviously, with this offensive line, this is going to be something that’s going to help our passing game. The looks that Dez [bryant] started to get as the year went on, people started giving him the attention that Calvin [Johnson] and Randy Moss would get as far as getting those double coverages. You need to have those other facets of your offense as far as your running game.”

The Cowboys averaged 21 rushing attempts per game last season. Only Atlanta handed the ball off less. Over the previous three seasons, no team has fewer rushing attempts than Dallas (22.8 attempts per game).

Linehan also mentioned how an increased emphasis on running the ball could lead to the Cowboys using a fullback more often than they did in 2013.

Four-year veteran Tyler Clutts is the only fullback on Dallas’ current roster. LSU fullback J.C. Copeland was one of 24 undrafted free agents signed Tuesday by the Cowboys. Copeland was considered one of the top blocking fullbacks in college football.

“The No. 1 goal, and I told Jason [Garrett] this when I came here, is to keep a lot of things the same,” Linehan said. “It’s a lot easier for the players to not have to change how they call things. To the naked eye, they’ll be similar.

“I just want to be an asset and bring some ideas that maybe haven’t been implemented that I can add to current things that were done well in the systems I’ve been around.

“Jason and I have a good background. … There are a lot of similarities. It’s just the language. I just basically made the commitment to transfer over what I’ve called things, the way people call things to keep it consistent for the players so they can step on the field and be ready to go from the get-go of OTAs.”

Who makes the better handcuff for Murray - Dunbar or Randle?
Dunbar by a fairly large margin. Then Randle. And personally I wouldn't even bother with R Williams in all but VERY deep dynasty leagues. Ruptured patella injuries historically are a killer for NFL-caliber RBs.

Who makes the better handcuff for Murray - Dunbar or Randle?
Dunbar by a fairly large margin. Then Randle. And personally I wouldn't even bother with R Williams in all but VERY deep dynasty leagues. Ruptured patella injuries historically are a killer for NFL-caliber RBs.
How many guys have had them? I know Carnell Williams had two in back-to-back years and when he came back from the second one, he looked about as good in 2009 as he did previously. It's not like he ever set the world on fire. Best season was his rookie year where he managed 4.1 ypc, but he became a much more well rounded back as he got older which helped him (pass blocking, pass catching).

Actually, I couldn't wait. I did a quick google and Buckhalter came up. I don't know if you guys remember him, but he had a few nice seasons later in his career. Better than his earlier years in terms of per touch metrics. This is a rough injury, but not really career threatening.

Given that Williams is only 24 and is 3 years removed from his injury, I don't think that should be your main cause for concern. Personally, the fact that he only had one good season in college (and in the ACC at that) is what would worry me.

Not my biggest concern at all. That would be the fact that he's #4 on the depth chart, with a slim chance at moving to #3….but I wouldn't count on him beating out Randle. My #2 concern is what the ARZ coaching staff thought of him last yr, as he was a healthy scratch in ALL 16 games for ARZ, which is very telling. He wasnt't on the injury report, but yet he apparently wasn't considered either talented or valuable enough to dress even once for the ENTIRE 2013 season.

As for Cadillac Williams, he was a 2005 1st Rd draft pick and put up nearly 1200 rushing yds in 14 games his rookie year. He was named the Offensive Rookie of the Year. It was his only memorable season in the NFL. His 2006 season was a major disappointment and he tore his patella tendon in 2007 and was never quite the same after that. He tried to come back midway through the 2008, but tore the other patella tendon. In his final three seasons (2009-2011) he played in 43 games and rushed for a TOTAL of 7 rushing TDs & 1630 rushing yds. Not even close to the runner he was in his rookie year or at Auburn. In 2010 he did actually have a decent year as he became the 3rd down back in TB, catching 46 balls, after losing his job to the rookie, L Blount.

After a great career at Nebraska, Buckhalter's NFL career was riddled with injuries including an ACL tear and the patella tear. He was never more than a role player throughout his career, as he was part of a 3-headed RBBC in Philly. Only once in his career did he ever receive 150+ touches.

Not my biggest concern at all. That would be the fact that he's #4 on the depth chart, with a slim chance at moving to #3….but I wouldn't count on him beating out Randle. My #2 concern is what the ARZ coaching staff thought of him last yr, as he was a healthy scratch in ALL 16 games for ARZ, which is very telling. He wasnt't on the injury report, but yet he apparently wasn't considered either talented or valuable enough to dress even once for the ENTIRE 2013 season.

As for Cadillac Williams, he was a 2005 1st Rd draft pick and put up nearly 1200 rushing yds in 14 games his rookie year. He was named the Offensive Rookie of the Year. It was his only memorable season in the NFL. His 2006 season was a major disappointment and he tore his patella tendon in 2007 and was never quite the same after that. He tried to come back midway through the 2008, but tore the other patella tendon. In his final three seasons (2009-2011) he played in 43 games and rushed for a TOTAL of 7 rushing TDs & 1630 rushing yds. Not even close to the runner he was in his rookie year or at Auburn. In 2010 he did actually have a decent year as he became the 3rd down back in TB, catching 46 balls, after losing his job to the rookie, L Blount.

After a great career at Nebraska, Buckhalter's NFL career was riddled with injuries including an ACL tear and the patella tear. He was never more than a role player throughout his career, as he was part of a 3-headed RBBC in Philly. Only once in his career did he ever receive 150+ touches.
Wasn't there talk of Randle being cut? I'm not sure Williams is entrenched as the RB4.

Caddy was indeed a 1st round draft pick, but he merely compiled his numbers via many touches. His 4.1 ypc in 2005 was not far off from his 3.9 ypc in his first season back from the second patella injury. Best not to confuse totals with talent. A mistake far too many make here.

Sure, Buckhalter never got a ton of touches, but his productivity per touch actually increased after his injuries. The fact that both of these players did not see a steep drop off in productivity per touch after injuries is what leads me to believe that this injury is not as definitively debilitating as I had once thought.

I think the question posed by 'cloppbeast' actually was "Who is Murray's handcuff?" The answer I provided is that it is Dunbar, who despite coming off a torn ACL, is still the 2nd-best RB in Dallas. So, maybe instead of you and I debating/disagreeing on the degree of debilitation a torn patella tendon is to a team's#3 or #4 RB is, we should give an opinion to the question that was posed. He wasn't looking for who is the better option for #3 RB; he wants to know who is the backup to Murray.

I think the question posed by 'cloppbeast' actually was "Who is Murray's handcuff?" The answer I provided is that it is Dunbar, who despite coming off a torn ACL, is still the 2nd-best RB in Dallas. So, maybe instead of you and I debating/disagreeing on the degree of debilitation a torn patella tendon is to a team's#3 or #4 RB is, we should give an opinion to the question that was posed. He wasn't looking for who is the better option for #3 RB; he wants to know who is the backup to Murray.
Before asking, I kind of thought myself that Dunbar made the better handcuff - just based on measureables. I couldn't find much footage on him though, besides a ridiculous run against the Raiders. I wish I had a better grasp of his instincts and playing style. But, from what little I've seen of him, I not only think he makes a good handcuff to an injury ridden starter, but also a decent dynasty stash.

As for Randle, he doesn't have power, lacks elusiveness, and most importantly, has little burst. Needless to say, I wasn't too impressed.

I didn't even know Ryan Williams found his way to the Cowboys - not that it makes much difference. His injury ridden career has him relegated to 'show me' status. I wouldn't have him on my team until after a decent game.

Before asking, I kind of thought myself that Dunbar made the better handcuff - just based on measureables. I couldn't find much footage on him though, besides a ridiculous run against the Raiders. I wish I had a better grasp of his instincts and playing style. But, from what little I've seen of him, I not only think he makes a good handcuff to an injury ridden starter, but also a decent dynasty stash.

As for Randle, he doesn't have power, lacks elusiveness, and most importantly, has little burst. Needless to say, I wasn't too impressed.

I didn't even know Ryan Williams found his way to the Cowboys - not that it makes much difference. His injury ridden career has him relegated to 'show me' status. I wouldn't have him on my team until after a decent game.
As a Cowboy homer, I see regular reports of Dunbar doing exciting things. I believe the latest news blurb was Linehan comparing him to Reggie Bush. He makes things happen when he has the ball. He'll get regular touches IF HE CAN STAY HEALTHY. That's his issue. Can he stay healthy? So to answer the question, yes, he is the handcuff for Murray.

Not much news on Randle. Or Williams. Or any other RB.

I found the topic of patella tendon injuries more interesting than early June depth charts. :shrug:

I found the topic of patella tendon injuries more interesting than early June depth charts. :shrug:
:)

Rotoworld:

ESPN Dallas expects DeMarco Murray to set a career-high in carries this season.

There's been a lot of buzz on Lance Dunbar this offseason as a Reggie Bush kind of back for Scott Linehan. But Murray is leaps and bounds ahead as a runner, and is an excellent pass-catcher in his own right. Beat man Todd Archer expects Murray to get 250 carries and play on a majority of the passing downs as well. If DeMarco can stay healthy for the first time in his career, he's a near lock to be a top-10 fantasy back with upside for much more in PPR formats.

Related: Lance Dunbar

I've been high on Murray before he came into the league and one issue that had hampered him in the past was a weak offensive line but I'm really impressed with how Dallas has rebuilt and strengthened their O-Line.

Fluff piece for the most part that indicates DeMarco should see an increased number of carries but I think the key is the mention of the improved Dallas offensive line.

I think Murray can do damage behind that line if he stays healthy.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/demarco-murray-feels-he-can-handle-an-elevated-workload-in-2014-071614

DeMarco Murray feels he 'can handle' an elevated workload in 2014

Sid Saraf FOX Sports
FOX SportsSid Saraf
Share This Story

Tweet

Updated JUL 16, 2014 5:13p ET

DeMarco Murray isn't a numbers guy. But there's no doubt in his mind that can be a running back who can withstand the pounding of an entire season.

"If they decide to do that with me, of course," Murray told FOXSports.com, when asked if he could handle a 300-carry-a-season workload. "Whatever they decide to do with me, I think I can handle it."

The talented running back has had trouble staying on the field during the first three years of his NFL career, as he missed six games with a sprained foot in 2012 and another pair of games last season with a sprained MCL. He finished 2013 with 217 carries, the most of his career, but was tied for 17th in the league.

How will Murray be able to able to withstand the workload that could put him among the league leaders in carries, a la Marshawn Lynch and LeSean McCoy?

"You just have to take care of your body and know when to go and fight for that extra yard or inch and know when not to," said Murray, who is entering the final year of his rookie contract. "That's something about just being a smarter football player in general and knowing when you're helping your team and when you're hurting your team."

Preparing to take the pounding is on top of Murray's agenda when it comes to his offseason workout regime.

"Definitely tried to change up a few things and stay fresh," he said. "You know you have to be in shape for training."

Whether Murray actually gets those carries will be largely up to Scott Linehan, the man brought in by the Cowboys to "run" the offense. While Bill Callahan is technically the team's offensive coordinator, Linehan -- the "passing game coordinator" -- is widely believed to be the man calling the shots when it comes to calling plays.

Linehan is known around the league as a pass-happy kind of play-caller. In fact, as the offensive coordinator with the Lions from 2009-13, Detroit was consistently among the league leaders in pass attempts. But Linehan has said his thinking has changed since arriving in Big D.

"Things that were done last year in the running game with DeMarco, the running style that was created here is really a good fit," Linehan said in May on a Dallas radio station. "That's going to be our strength, being able to lean on that running game a little bit more than they have in the past.

Murray has liked what he has seen and heard from the man in charge this offseason during OTAs and minicamps.

"I feel great about it. Definitely think he's a very smart coach, definitely brings a lot to the table. Throwing, running, different type of zone runs ... I think he does a good job of getting his best players the ball and getting us the ball a lot. I'm excited."

Linehan might want to tape this stat to his clipboard: The Cowboys are 11-0 when Murray gets 20 carries in a game. Makes sense, right? After all, this is a player who has averaged almost 5.0 yards per carry over his career.

Murray downplays that stat, saying that he doesn't "know what kind of factor that plays into us winning or losing," but the numbers are pretty clear. Feed him the ball and good things will happen. Murray feels that he's definitely a running back who grows stronger as the game goes along.

"The more touches you get, the more time you're actually on the field, you get in a zone. You get into a great rhythm and you feel comfortable," he said.

Another factor in Murray's favor is the Cowboys' offensive line. The front office has quietly put together a solid group over the past couple seasons. Tackles Tyron Smith and Doug Free are dependable players who rarely make mistakes and second-year center Travis Frederick has proven the doubters who scoffed at his first-round selection in 2013 wrong.

"Once you have a group that are constantly working out together and playing together, I think they build chemistry. It's good that we've been able to keep the same five guys and add a new guy," Murray said.

That new guy is rookie Zack Martin, the No. 1 draft pick who played tackle at Notre Dame, but who will most likely play at guard in 2014.

"He looks real good. Really good," Murray added.

A beefed-up offensive line and a play-caller who likes what Murray brings to the table could mean a breakout season for the fourth-year running back. That means his career-high 1,121 rushing yards and Pro Bowl selection in 2013 is just the beginning. And that's ideal as he will be facing a contract decision at the end of the season.

However, with the running back position seemingly declining in value, does that mean a big-money contract isn't in his future? After all, Browns running back Ben Tate -- the big prize at the position during the offseason -- scored just a two-year deal worth just more than $6 million from the Cleveland Browns.

It's hard to imagine Murray won't get significantly more than that, but regardless, he doesn't care.

"I'm not a numbers guy, I don't pay attention to that," said Murray, who was in Los Angeles to promote Old Spice body wash, shampoo, deodorant and their latest "Head to Toes" freshness campaign. "When the time comes, something will get done. I don't know what [Tate] got or what he deserves or anything like that. Who is to say what anyone deserves? I think you deserve what you work for in life."

And the Cowboys are working to end that streak of falling short of the playoffs, which stands at four seasons. As in every season in Dallas, there's a lot of talent. It's just a matter of whether putting it together.

So, are the Cowboys built to win a Super Bowl?

"Definitely," Murray said. "The front office did a great job of adding components and giving us a great chance to win and win now.

"I think it's about being a selfless individual and a selfless person and making sure you're prepared. You're a man and this is your job."

I'm targeting Murray but also expecting him to miss a couple of weeks. I'm hedging that a bit by also targeting Dunbar and investing more heavily in another RB, although I admittedly don't know how Randle would/could be used....the article below makes it sound like Dunbar could be in line for additional work this season.

I think Linehan / the Cowboys will lean more on Demarco in his contract year...not simply because it's his contract year, but because he's one of their best players, the offensive line should be great, and they were more successful in 2013 when the ball was in his hands 20+ times a game. It's anyone's guess as to how many games he'll step on the field for, but I'm confident he'll deliver RB1 value while he's playing. I can get him cheaper than Foster and for the same price as Ball, Bell, Doug Martin, and Zac Stacy, so sign me up.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4731500/by-sitting-lance-dunbars-value-shows-through

By sitting, Lance Dunbar's value shows

OXNARD, Calif. -- To know what the Dallas Cowboys think about running back Lance Dunbar, all you need to see is that he was a healthy scratch, like Dez Bryant, Jason Witten, DeMarco Murrayand Orlando Scandrick.

“Certainly we have a good feel for what he can do,” coach Jason Garrett said. “We just want to be selective with certain guys in preseason. DeMarco Murray did not play in the game. We felt the same way about Dunbar. As the preseason goes along, both those guys will get plenty of work. But he’s a very good football player. He shows us that whenever he gets a chance in practice here in training camp, as he has when he has had game opportunities in the past.”

The Cowboys believe Dunbar will be a big part of their offense, but he is far less proven than Murray. Dunbar has played 21 games in two seasons, with 51 carries for 225 yards and 13 catches for 92 yards. A foot injury in the preseason limited his work early last year, and his season ended on Thanksgiving with a knee injury that required surgery.

He has not missed a day of work since the spring.

“I don’t think it’s hard (to manage his work) because he’s a really good player,” Garrett said. “It’s not like you’re trying to work around limitations. You’re trying to give him opportunities. The only thing that’s challenging about it is we really, really like DeMarco Murray. And DeMarco Murray needs to get his touches. We want to hand him the ball, throw him the ball. When we give him the ball, good things happen. So that’s really the only competition, but that’s a good problem to have. It’s not like Dunbar can’t do this, can’t do that, we can only use him this way. We feel like we can do a lot of different things with him. We’ve just got to make sure we allow the other guys to have touches as well.”

Thoughts on murray in redraft? Its a contract year....
I've never been a huge believer in "contract year" theories. Been burned too many times chasing it. I do however think the following1.) if he can manage 14 games for the season, I can't see him finishing outside the top 10.

2.) if he makes it through a season AND the coaches implement him like the preseason talk is going, he could finish top 3 (pretty bullish)

3.)He's one of the few backs w/o someone to steal 3rd downs and/or goal line carries. I don't see Dunbar as a threat. Murray is a good pass catching back and has been good in pass protection too.

I think his ADP is accurate, but I think he's a much safer pick and has better upside than Ball who is going in the same range. Personally, I'm buying.

I've never been a huge believer in "contract year" theories. Been burned too many times chasing it. I do however think the following1.) if he can manage 14 games for the season, I can't see him finishing outside the top 10.

2.) if he makes it through a season AND the coaches implement him like the preseason talk is going, he could finish top 3 (pretty bullish)

3.)He's one of the few backs w/o someone to steal 3rd downs and/or goal line carries. I don't see Dunbar as a threat. Murray is a good pass catching back and has been good in pass protection too.

I think his ADP is accurate, but I think he's a much safer pick and has better upside than Ball who is going in the same range. Personally, I'm buying.
how would you rank the rbs around murray? say foster, ball, murray, lynch, gio, bell

is dunbar the sure handcuff?

how would you rank the rbs around murray? say foster, ball, murray, lynch, gio, bell

is dunbar the sure handcuff?
I like doing tiers instead of pure ranking, but if I was forced i(with these players) I'd go Murray, Lynch, Bell, Ball, Gio, Foster.

FWIW, I will be avoiding Foster, and Gio would have to come at a discount for me this year.

I started a thread about the effects of the refs calling pass interference/holding. It's speculation, but I think if it carries into reg. season, players like Gio/Spiller/Ellington will lose touches. For players already at risk of losing goal line carries, they now become threatened to lose plays between the 20's to defensive penalties.

Imagine those players losing dump offs/check downs. Scenario: 1st and 10; check down that goes for 9yds, but also has an illegal contact flag. That leaves the coach a choice of 2nd/1 or take the 5 yds and get a 1st/10. They'll take the 1st down all day and you lose 9 yds for fantasy purposes. You can extrapolate the effects over a game/season. If the flags keep flying, regardless of whether or not defenses adjust, it will mean more downfield passing. While this has a negative effect on all RBs it will have less an effect on those guaranteed the lions share of running plays and goal line carries.

I don't think this is at all far-fetched, and I don't think it requires any new implementation of him. Murray was nearly a top 3 back in PPG last year.

The thing most people overlook when looking at his numbers is that his stats really came in 12 games, no 14. He was hurt and missed two games so people take those out, but neglect to notice that the game he got hurt in he only played a couple of snaps before his injury, and the game he came back he barely played as they eased him back in (I think he only had 3 carries).

In the 12 games that Murray was healthy for last year he put up 1381/8, which over a full season projects out to 1841/11 and would have put him at RB4 just behind Forte/McCoy/Charles.

I understand that counting on Murray to stay healthy is a longshot, but I think people underrate how good he's been when he actually is healthy. All signs from the offseason only point to that improving, so his upside from a PPG standpoint is much higher than people give him credit for.

Rotoworld:

DeMarco Murray has been "strong and decisive" through two weeks of camp.

If Murray can stay healthy for the first time in his career, he's going to have a monster season. The offensive line is potentially dominant, Scott Linehan loves to throw to his running backs and Murray showed last season that he's one of the best pure runners in the league. Murray was PFF's No. 4 back last season in terms of "elusive rating" and graded out sixth in running. Only LeSean McCoy, Marshawn Lynch, Jamaal Charles, Adrian Peterson and Eddie Lacy were better.

Aug 11 - 11:19 AM

Besides his injury history, I worry about the 'Boys trailing most games and thus not being able to establish the run game. Though Murray's receiving skills mitigate that somewhat.

Besides his injury history, I worry about the 'Boys trailing most games and thus not being able to establish the run game. Though Murray's receiving skills mitigate that somewhat.
When you look at what Bell/Bush did last year, it makes me pretty comfortable that Murray can catch 80 passes and mitigate that.

When you look at what Bell/Bush did last year, it makes me pretty comfortable that Murray can catch 80 passes and mitigate that.
The D was awful last year too and Murray still put up great per game numbers.

As a Cowboys fan, acknowledging how bad our D is this year, I pray that Garrett/Linehan lean heavily on the run and short passing game to control the clock, a la what the Chargers did down the stretch last year. With Smith, Free, Fredrick, and Martin, we have an offensive line that can allow us to sustain long drives, and ball control is the only way I see us keeping opposing teams from scoring 30+ points. I am unsure that it'll play out this way, as Garrett historically is quick to abandon the run (Murray will still catch passes and be a RB1 for fantasy purposes), but I don't think this is the best way to manage the Cowboys this season. Either way, Murray should be a stud if healthy.

I like Murray the most outside of the big 5 RBs (McCoy, Charles, Forte, AP, Lacy). Think he'll be a factor in the passing game and if Dallas is smart, they'll run the ball more this year since their defense is so awful. Think he has the best chance of anyone to crap the top 5 at the RB position.

The D was awful last year too and Murray still put up great per game numbers.As a Cowboys fan, acknowledging how bad our D is this year, I pray that Garrett/Linehan lean heavily on the run and short passing game to control the clock, a la what the Chargers did down the stretch last year. With Smith, Free, Fredrick, and Martin, we have an offensive line that can allow us to sustain long drives, and ball control is the only way I see us keeping opposing teams from scoring 30+ points. I am unsure that it'll play out this way, as Garrett historically is quick to abandon the run (Murray will still catch passes and be a RB1 for fantasy purposes), but I don't think this is the best way to manage the Cowboys this season. Either way, Murray should be a stud if healthy.
I was going to say this exact thing. The defense was awful last year and Murray was a stud. The D has little to no bearing on him IMO. He's already proven to clear that hurdle with ease. I hope Dal sticks to the run more this year vs. last. Some of their play calling and decisions in the 2nd half of games was mind numbingly silly. I don't think Murray needs then too but it would be nice.

I like Murray the most outside of the big 5 RBs (McCoy, Charles, Forte, AP, Lacy). Think he'll be a factor in the passing game and if Dallas is smart, they'll run the ball more this year since their defense is so awful. Think he has the best chance of anyone to crap the top 5 at the RB position.
Not a dig, but this is really the key part of this prediction. Have they been? Will they be? The Dal offense as a whole is on my radar simply because of the talent there - primarily the O-Line (surprised to say that at this point). IMO they're a wildcard for all the wrong reasons. From a fantasy standpoint I'll be looking for value from them, but I won't reach bc of the unknowns.

Rotoworld:

DeMarco Murray - RB - Cowboys

Coach Jason Garrett said he sees DeMarco Murray as "the leader of a committee" in the Cowboys' backfield.

This isn't really all that shocking because new playcaller Scott Linehan liked to use multiple backs in Detroit, namely Reggie Bush and Joique Bell. Bush still racked up 277 touches as the Lions' lead dog in 2013. Murray has never played a full 16-game season, so it'd be smart of Dallas to limit the pounding he takes. We still expect Murray to be a PPR dynamo and set a new career-high in touches this season. He's on the RB1 map. But Lance Dunbar is going to take on an increased role. Joseph Randle and/or Ryan Williams could also see some work.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Aug 13 - 1:16 PM

Rotoworld:

DeMarco Murray - RB - Cowboys

Coach Jason Garrett said he sees DeMarco Murray as "the leader of a committee" in the Cowboys' backfield.

This isn't really all that shocking because new playcaller Scott Linehan liked to use multiple backs in Detroit, namely Reggie Bush and Joique Bell. Bush still racked up 277 touches as the Lions' lead dog in 2013. Murray has never played a full 16-game season, so it'd be smart of Dallas to limit the pounding he takes. We still expect Murray to be a PPR dynamo and set a new career-high in touches this season. He's on the RB1 map. But Lance Dunbar is going to take on an increased role. Joseph Randle and/or Ryan Williams could also see some work.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Aug 13 - 1:16 PM
I think Murray will be very good this year if he stays healthy, but I'm not sure limiting his touches will make a difference in his health. He has been underused since playing for Dallas, but he still manages to get hurt. I think his tendency to get banged up has more to do with his running style than how many times he touches the ball.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Dallas says the focus on the run game is "real for the Cowboys, not just words."

With a potentially dominant offensive line and a special runner in DeMarco Murray, the Cowboys project to be very effective running the ball this season. That's obviously good news for Murray, and he won't fall off the map when the defense causes shootouts either. New playcaller Scott Linehan loves throwing to his running backs and Murray is strong as a receiver. He's our No. 7 overall fantasy running back.

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 1 - 9:33 AM

Users who are viewing this thread