What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kenny Britt (5 Viewers)

Reports leaking out that he is likely to sign with the Rams. buzzkill..
Rams GM Les Snead said the team has a "better than 50 percent" chance of signing free agent Kenny Britt.
St. Louis was Britt's first visit of free agency. He then went to New England, Washington, and Buffalo. The Patriots have already said they won't sign Britt. The Rams give Britt his best opportunity to be a No. 1 receiver and potentially revive his career. Britt is expected to make a decision within the next couple days. Mar 25 - 3:52 PM

Bradford was pretty good last year. If they'd all played a 16 game season here's what each guy's #s suggest they were worth in terms of additional wins for their teams (all else being equal):

Peyton Manning 5.5 Nick Foles 4.3 Drew Brees 3.2 Philip Rivers 2.5 Josh McCown 2.4 Aaron Rodgers 2.2 Russell Wilson 1.9 Tony Romo 1.8 Andy Dalton 1.3 Sam Bradford 1.2 Jay Cutler 0.9 Matt Ryan 0.8 Ben Roethlisberg 0.7 Colin Kaepernick 0.7 Tom Brady 0.5 Cam Newton 0.5 Andrew Luck 0.5 Alex D. Smith 0.3 Matt Cassel 0.2 Matthew Stafford (0.2)Kellen Clemens (0.3)Jason Campbell (0.3)Carson Palmer (0.4)Ryan Tannehill (0.7)Ryan Fitzpatrick (0.8)Robert Griffin (1.5)Matt Schaub (1.8)Chad Henne (1.9)Joe Flacco (2.1)Brandon Weeden (2.5)Christian Ponder (3.0)Eli Manning (3.1)
Bradford threw a lot of TDs last year and few interceptions. There are certainly plenty of worse QBs in the NFL -- but as far as guys locked in as probable long term starters, he's bad. His completion percentage is meh, and his yards / attempt has been consistently awful throughout his career. He's not a guy who will look downfield and take chances against single coverage -- and that, IMO, makes him a spectacularly bad fit for a vertical WR like Britt who probably won't create a ton of seperation but can physically dominate CBs and win balls downfield outside the hash marks.Part of Bradford's struggles are team related, certainly, but I've never been impressed. And I think he's a really bad match with Kenny Britt for the reason above.

ETA: Alex Smith may indeed be a more valuable NFL QB in terms of wins / losses for his team than Matt Stafford. But which one do you want your FF WR catching passes from?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bradford was pretty good last year. If they'd all played a 16 game season here's what each guy's #s suggest they were worth in terms of additional wins for their teams (all else being equal):

Peyton Manning 5.5 Nick Foles 4.3 Drew Brees 3.2 Philip Rivers 2.5 Josh McCown 2.4 Aaron Rodgers 2.2 Russell Wilson 1.9 Tony Romo 1.8 Andy Dalton 1.3 Sam Bradford 1.2 Jay Cutler 0.9 Matt Ryan 0.8 Ben Roethlisberg 0.7 Colin Kaepernick 0.7 Tom Brady 0.5 Cam Newton 0.5 Andrew Luck 0.5 Alex D. Smith 0.3 Matt Cassel 0.2 Matthew Stafford (0.2)Kellen Clemens (0.3)Jason Campbell (0.3)Carson Palmer (0.4)Ryan Tannehill (0.7)Ryan Fitzpatrick (0.8)Robert Griffin (1.5)Matt Schaub (1.8)Chad Henne (1.9)Joe Flacco (2.1)Brandon Weeden (2.5)Christian Ponder (3.0)Eli Manning (3.1)
Bradford threw a lot of TDs last year and few interceptions. There are certainly plenty of worse QBs in the NFL -- but as far as guys locked in as probable long term starters, he's bad. His completion percentage is meh, and his yards / attempt has been consistently awful throughout his career. He's not a guy who will look downfield and take chances against single coverage -- and that, IMO, makes him a spectacularly bad fit for a vertical WR like Britt who probably won't create a ton of seperation but can physically dominate CBs and win balls downfield outside the hash marks.Part of Bradford's struggles are team related, certainly, but I've never been impressed. And I think he's a really bad match with Kenny Britt for the reason above.

ETA: Alex Smith may indeed be a more valuable NFL QB in terms of wins / losses for his team than Matt Stafford. But which one do you want your FF WR catching passes from?
You may be right. But if he has a short term deal with STL I see it as positive because he can step in and be a featured WR who gets a lot of looks. He will have a chance to prove himself. And he certainly is no worse than the other QBs Britt has played with in his career.

I wouldn't think there are too many places Britt would be a lock to start (including STL) unless he miraculously returns to his 2010-2011 form. He looked like a shell of his former self the past two years.

Even if they don't add Watkins, I'd still expect Austin, Bailey and Cook to be the top three receiving weapons. IF they get Britt, how the money (or lack of) is structured could be suggestive of whether he is even guaranteed to make the roster. I'd view it more as creating pressure at the bottom of the position group, he might even be lower on the depth chart than Givens and Quick.

You may be right. But if he has a short term deal with STL I see it as positive because he can step in and be a featured WR who gets a lot of looks. He will have a chance to prove himself. And he certainly is no worse than the other QBs Britt has played with in his career.
I have a hard time seeing him with "a lot of looks" in STL personally, given Britt's and Bradford's respective strengths and weaknesses. Further, the team has way more invested in the young guys they've spent high picks and time on -- unless Britt gets a much bigger contract than I think he will. Under no circumstances do I think Britt will see the volume or quality of targets that he could have had in New England, Washington, or Carolina, among others. He hasn't officially signed with the Rams yet though, so hope remains.

I wouldn't think there are too many places Britt would be a lock to start unless he miraculously returns to his 2010-2011 form. He looked like a shell of his former self the past two years.
Yeah, I agree with this 100%.

As a lottery ticket, though, the appeal lies in the big jackpot potential, even if the chances of it hitting are slim. And as such, Britt's "jackpot" was primarily in landing in a high octane offense with a downfield style QB IMO.

LOL at the symmetry, I think I'm about as excited by what Britt could do for Bradford as vice verce for you.

I'm with you in not expecting a bank breaking contract wherever he goes (sounds like close to 50% he goes elsewhere, for what Snead's estimate is worth), so while not super excited, if he is cheap depth STL could probably do worse.

Some Rams fans could be alarmed by the well documented character risk, but Jenkins and Ogletree have worked out well in recent years. In the unlikely event he shows more than he has recently, the expected cheap investment and low risk contract could recommend adding him.

* Some Rams fans are concerned a signing would preclude adding Watkins which I find laughably absurd. They could cut Pettis and carry six WRs. He might not be on the active roster every week, since he adds nothing on ST?

I wouldn't think there are too many places Britt would be a lock to start (including STL) unless he miraculously returns to his 2010-2011 form. He looked like a shell of his former self the past two years.

Even if they don't add Watkins, I'd still expect Austin, Bailey and Cook to be the top three receiving weapons. IF they get Britt, how the money (or lack of) is structured could be suggestive of whether he is even guaranteed to make the roster. I'd view it more as creating pressure at the bottom of the position group, he might even be lower on the depth chart than Givens and Quick.
It wouldn't be miraculous. As someone who has had ACL surgery, I can tell you that eventhough we have gotten used to seeing NFL players return in a year or even less, it really takes closer to two years to fully recover. Of course he could have had a crappy surgery or he could have skipped his rehabilitation--in which case it is highly unlikely he returns to form. But he did pass the physical in STL and I suspect they think he is healthy.

When I look at the WRs on St. Louis' roster currently, I don't see anyone who has a higher ceiling.

It wouldn't be miraculous. As someone who has had ACL surgery, I can tell you that eventhough we have gotten used to seeing NFL players return in a year or even less, it really takes closer to two years to fully recover. Of course he could have had a crappy surgery or he could have skipped his rehabilitation--in which case it is highly unlikely he returns to form. But he did pass the physical in STL and I suspect they think he is healthy. When I look at the WRs on St. Louis' roster currently, I don't see anyone who has a higher ceiling.
I personally gave him a pass in 2012 for this exact reason -- not everyone is a freak like Adrian Peterson. But Britt is a professional athlete who has access to world class rehab, and he proceeded to crap the bed in epic fashion in his contract year in 2013. That's a HUGE red flag for me -- and that's coming from a dude who owns him in literally every league and has been driving his bandwagon for about half a decade now.

It wouldn't be miraculous. As someone who has had ACL surgery, I can tell you that eventhough we have gotten used to seeing NFL players return in a year or even less, it really takes closer to two years to fully recover. Of course he could have had a crappy surgery or he could have skipped his rehabilitation--in which case it is highly unlikely he returns to form. But he did pass the physical in STL and I suspect they think he is healthy. When I look at the WRs on St. Louis' roster currently, I don't see anyone who has a higher ceiling.
I personally gave him a pass in 2012 for this exact reason -- not everyone is a freak like Adrian Peterson. But Britt is a professional athlete who has access to world class rehab, and he proceeded to crap the bed in epic fashion in his contract year in 2013. That's a HUGE red flag for me -- and that's coming from a dude who owns him in literally every league and has been driving his bandwagon for about half a decade now.
That's the thing, he was two years removed in 2013 and is now three years removed. Again, the 2010-2011 iteration has more upside than any WR on the roster, but every WR on the roster has more upside than the 2012-2013 version.

Obviously our difference (with az) on this could not just be coming from seeing Britt much differently, but the STL WRs. Bailey in particular is IMO being severely underrated.

Kenny Britt, St. Louis Rams closing in on contract?By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Kenny Britt and former Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher are closing in on a reunion.

On the same day that New England Patriots owner Bob Kraft eliminated Britt as a possibility, St. Louis Rams general manager Les Snead told ProFootballTalk his chances of landing the wide receiver are "better than 50 percent."

Britt has also visited the Washington Redskins and Buffalo Bills. As of Tuesday afternoon, the Redskins remain interested, reports ESPN.com's John Keim.

Britt's surgically repaired knees have already passed a Rams physical, per NFL Media's Albert Breer.

Seeking a short-term, make-good contract, Britt is expected to choose his new team within the next couple of days, per PFT's Mike Florio.

Britt entered the NFL with difference-making talent five years ago. Although he's still just 25 years old, his game film over the past two seasons has shown no reason to believe he will ever recapture the potential he flashed from 2010-11.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" broke down all the latest news at the NFL Annual Meeting.

Obviously our difference on this could not just be coming from seeing Britt much differently, but the STL WRs. Bailey in particular is IMO being severely underrated.
Agree with you on Stedman Bailey -- I don't care what his measurables say, he can flat out play. I'd also say that Tavon Austin is criminally under valued by the FF community, personally. Austin was a legitimate non-reach top 10 NFL pick -- and he made some plays last year -- that sick run against Arizona comes to mind -- that only a handful of guys in the league are remotely capable of making. He's going to be an absolute game breaker when he settles in and the Rams figure out how to use him.ETA: to get back to Britt, IMO whether he's in STL or anywhere else, he's probably just as likely to not make the team's final roster as he is to grab hold of the top WR spot.

Obviously our difference on this could not just be coming from seeing Britt much differently, but the STL WRs. Bailey in particular is IMO being severely underrated.
Agree with you on Stedman Bailey -- I don't care what his measurables say, he can flat out play. I'd also say that Tavon Austin is criminally under valued by the FF community, personally. Austin was a legitimate non-reach top 10 NFL pick -- and he made some plays last year -- that sick run against Arizona comes to mind -- that only a handful of guys in the league are remotely capable of making. He's going to be an absolute game breaker when he settles in and the Rams figure out how to use him.ETA: to get back to Britt, IMO whether he's in STL or anywhere else, he's probably just as likely to not make the team's final roster as he is to grab hold of the top WR spot.
Agree about Austin, too, I just emphasized Bailey because I think he is criminally and not just grossly underrated. :) In the consecutive IND and CHI games Austin had a combined four 50+ yard TDs, previously only done by Jim Brown and Gale Sayers about a half century ago. Lot of football players between then and now.As to Britt, I'd say the former a lot more likely than the latter, but most likely of all, cheap depth somewhere, perhaps a WR3/WR4-role.

Coeur de Lion said:
thriftyrocker said:
Bradford had a good connection with Danario Alexander, and Britt has a lot of similarities to DX.
DX played 18 games with Bradford and put up 747 / 3 -- that's really not what I was hoping for rostering Britt across every league for years. :X
:flag: Stop using cummulative stats to evaluate a UDFA rookie who was always injured. Bradford was a lot more effective in games DX was healthy.

Coeur de Lion said:
thriftyrocker said:
Bradford had a good connection with Danario Alexander, and Britt has a lot of similarities to DX.
DX played 18 games with Bradford and put up 747 / 3 -- that's really not what I was hoping for rostering Britt across every league for years. :X
:flag: Stop using cummulative stats to evaluate a UDFA rookie who was always injured. Bradford was a lot more effective in games DX was healthy.
In those 18 games who were the Rams playing? Was it just a coincidence that Rams were playing teams with bad defenses? Were they down big in those games and Bradford's stats look better because of some garbage time in the 4th? I am seriously asking because I don't know, but it seems like those numbers really didn't help Bradford all that much.

Bob Magaw said:
Coeur de Lion said:
Bob Magaw said:
Agree about Austin, too, I just emphasized Bailey because I think he is criminally and not just grossly underrated. :) In the consecutive IND and CHI games Austin had a combined four 40+ yard TDs, previously only done by Jim Brown and Gale Sayers about a half century ago. Lot of football players between then and now.

As to Britt, I'd say the former a lot more likely than the latter, but most likely of all, cheap depth somewhere, perhaps a WR3/WR4-role.
I don't think Britt is a sure thing at all, but I think he has a far likelier chance of ever being a fantasy WR1 than either of these guys. I wasn't impressed at all with Austin.

Bob Magaw said:
Coeur de Lion said:
Bob Magaw said:
Agree about Austin, too, I just emphasized Bailey because I think he is criminally and not just grossly underrated. :) In the consecutive IND and CHI games Austin had a combined four 40+ yard TDs, previously only done by Jim Brown and Gale Sayers about a half century ago. Lot of football players between then and now.

As to Britt, I'd say the former a lot more likely than the latter, but most likely of all, cheap depth somewhere, perhaps a WR3/WR4-role.
I don't think Britt is a sure thing at all, but I think he has a far likelier chance of ever being a fantasy WR1 than either of these guys. I wasn't impressed at all with Austin.
Agree with the 2010-2011 version, not the 2012-2013 one (accounting for that and factoring it in, I think the latter is a lot more likely than the former).

Lets see what his contract looks like, that will be suggestive, but I don't think any team's are exactly breaking down Britt's door for his services, or he would have signed already.

IMO, if you put Austin on the free agent market in 2014, he would be far more coveted than Britt.

Coeur de Lion said:
thriftyrocker said:
In those 18 games who were the Rams playing? Was it just a coincidence that Rams were playing teams with bad defenses? Were they down big in those games and Bradford's stats look better because of some garbage time in the 4th? I am seriously asking because I don't know, but it seems like those numbers really didn't help Bradford all that much.
You can claim small sample size, but the best games in Bradford's career before last year where where DX was fully healthy. If you remember that time, he was in and out of the lineup constantly because he wasn't 100% for more than a Q or 2. If you just reverse sort by Bradford's YPA you'll see DX in the lineup with 90+ yards. It's a small sample size (because DX was hurt so much) but it's still a sample. What's the #1 knock on Bradford? YPA. And having a big WR with some skills seemed to help his YPA during that time. Only one of those games was a garbage game (loss to GB, the points still counted), and includes a close win over SF.

We also saw what DX became in 2012. Partly due to DX's health, but Rivers brought more out of him for sure. And DX proved more that he was a legit talent at WR. We know Britt can be that good if he's healthy, in the same spits and spurts, but don't know if he's still got it physically or mentally.

You look at Bradford's totally meh career so far, but he's never had a prototype WR with any skill other than DX, and he did better in those games. And that was before the cadaver knees really broke in. Starting Pettis isn't doing him any favors. Not to be too much of an apologist.

I actually think the Rams are a good landing spot for Britt. Fisher got the most out of him early in his career. Plus let's also remember that Britt had his best year in 2010 with VY and Kerry Collins at QB in 2010 and Hasselback in 2011. I'm not saying Bradford is great, but he's at least on par with the 3 of those guys.

Coeur de Lion said:
thriftyrocker said:
You can claim small sample size, but the best games in Bradford's career before last year where where DX was fully healthy. If you remember that time, he was in and out of the lineup constantly because he wasn't 100% for more than a Q or 2. If you just reverse sort by Bradford's YPA you'll see DX in the lineup with 90+ yards. It's a small sample size (because DX was hurt so much) but it's still a sample. What's the #1 knock on Bradford? YPA. And having a big WR with some skills seemed to help his YPA during that time. Only one of those games was a garbage game (loss to GB, the points still counted), and includes a close win over SF.

We also saw what DX became in 2012. Partly due to DX's health, but Rivers brought more out of him for sure. And DX proved more that he was a legit talent at WR. We know Britt can be that good if he's healthy, in the same spits and spurts, but don't know if he's still got it physically or mentally.

You look at Bradford's totally meh career so far, but he's never had a prototype WR with any skill other than DX, and he did better in those games. And that was before the cadaver knees really broke in. Starting Pettis isn't doing him any favors. Not to be too much of an apologist.
To be clear, my :X was in reference to Britt's chances at fantasy relevance in STL. If 2010 / 2011 Britt somehow shows up, he'd obviously help both the Rams as a team and Bradford as a QB. But I'd like Britt's chances of FF relevance better elsewhere (although IMO those chances would be small even in a great situation at this point).

Kenny Britt still evaluating his optionsPosted by Mike Florio on March 27, 2014, 7:07 PM EDT

On Tuesday, Rams G.M. Les Snead expressed optimism regarding his team’s ability to land veteran receiver Kenny Britt, putting the chances at more than 50 percent. Snead also suggested that a decision could be made within 48 hours.

The 48-hour window has come and gone, and no decision has been made.

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Britt is still evaluating his options. The source says that the Rams are “certainly” in the hunt.

Britt has visited the Rams, Redskins, Patriots, and Bills. The Panthers also reportedly have interest in Britt, but no visit has occurred.

The 2009 first-round pick of the Titans has overcome a smattering of off-field incidents in recent years. The biggest question is whether he’ll overcome a dip in production that dates back to the ACL tear he suffered in Week Three of the 2011 season.

I'll be shocked if Fisher brings Britt around those youngsters, especially after Cook. I expect it'll be the Redskins.

If anyone, the Rams need someone that brings guaranteed production-some vet that we all feel like we know what they'll bring.

I think one gem WR could make the Rams extremely dangerous and change their whole outlook. They have a wealth of talent that could be role players now and possibly excellent players in the future. Since the free agent cupboard is relatively bare now, Desean would be so much better to sign than Britt.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Rams signed former Titans WR Kenny Britt to a one-year, $1.4M deal, including $550K, per source. Max value of deal is $2.9M.

Steve Smith part II signing for the Rams. Guy with a bad knee that can no longer separate

Steve Smith year before coming to STL 11 catches

Kenny Britt year before coming to STL 11 catches

I'm surprised Britt got more than the minimum personally. Guy was amongst the worst receivers to see the field during the 2013 NFL regular season. Guess there's still someone out there that thinks he'll just be able to 'turn it on' again :shrug:

I don't think he's as good as Givens at this point nor any better than Pettis. I'd imagine Quick/Britt/Pettis may be fighting for 2 spots.

He and Quick and Cook offer so much....if draft hype equaled success this would be the best WR corps

How many receiver projects does St. Louis have now?

Can't be Bradford's fault, nosirreee.
With all the resources they've spent on WR it's amazing how none have shaken out. For Fantasy, now you have to try to guess who's going to be relevant.
I'm going with Britt and the two WVU sophomores as the top 3 guys. Not so sure STL will be fantasy friendly for WR though. I'd imagine they'll run the ball a ton under Fisher, especially if they draft a top notch road grader like Robinson.

Rams signed former Titans WR Kenny Britt to a one-year, $1.4M deal, including $550K, per source. Max value of deal is $2.9M.
Meh.

This is a good roll of the dice for Fisher. He could flame out easily but this is not much of a commitment. Still, as someone that has Givens, Quick and Bailey, this just makes me cringe. This is a offseason situation to monitor. Someone has to be a winner here, right?

Meh.This is a good roll of the dice for Fisher. He could flame out easily but this is not much of a commitment. Still, as someone that has Givens, Quick and Bailey, this just makes me cringe. This is a offseason situation to monitor. Someone has to be a winner here, right?
Pretty sure the Rams haven't had an 800 yard WR since Torry Holt...

Does this somewhat throw the notion they go watkins out the window? Or no?
Not a big contract, so wouldn't have to have any impact.

Hard to say what it means in relation to the draft and who will start. Some might interpret it as STL not wanting to spend a high pick on a WR so making a preemptive move to bolster the position group.

But being interested enough to draft Watkins and adding Britt don't have to be mutually exclusive. If they want Watkins, I can't imagine a move like this would preclude it. I think if they draft LT Robinson or Matthews, for instance, than IMO that is who they were going to take whether they added Britt or not (or perhaps they risk not getting Watkins in a trade down, also not contingent on Britt).

Users who are viewing this thread