What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julian Edelman going forward (3 Viewers)

JohnnyU said:
Edited to add: The Giants used to have a recipe for beating the Pats and it DID involve a pass rush, but it seems to me Brady is throwing shorter and quicker now than back then. I'm not sure that is correct however.
The Pats the Giants faced in 2007 was not the same type of offense they're running now. That was much more a down the field attack, and the Giants success stemmed from having a great front 4 that could get pressure without the need of sending extras, so you kept a full 7 back in coverage.

The 2011 Giants had a similar setup, and the Pats had shifted to more of this scheme, but in that game, Gronk was hurt and barely played, so you could bracket Welker and not pay a penalty ( other receivers were Branch, Chad Johnson, Tiquan Underwood and the murderer ). The pass rush played a part again, but I think the lack of quality threats allowed the DBs to play very tight and smother the short game.

JohnnyU said:
ponchsox said:
Alright kids, let's keep this on topic please.
Great idea !!! So, what do teams have to do to stop the dink and dunk show with Edelman? Or is it impossible because of Brady? Scheme? Edelman? Combination? Is it solvable?
It really hasn't been solvable for a decade. Some small instances of success, but you need a great pash rush, primarily up the middle, and everyone within 10 yards of the LOS. If the line holds, that defensive scheme is ripe for getting gashed down the seams by the TEs, and Edelman/Lafell/Amendola are good enough to get over the top if the DBs cheat up. It's a combination of scheme and QB ( but mostly QB, IMO ) To effectively run what the Pats do, you need a strong presnap read, quick recognition by both the QB and Receiver, a quick release and accuracy.
This is the hidden reason Edelman is so good. He's a former QB who sees the field just like Brady does.

Dude is always underrated but people still don't buy in. Hard to understand.
I think he was appropriately priced (mid-range WR2) this year because his realistic ceiling is high-end WR2 (PPR); something similar to 2013. When grabbing WRs early, I tend to target guys who I think have a real shot at WR1 production and he's not one of them. I guess he's a great type of player to grab if you're looking to mitigate some variance.

Personally, instead of Edelman I'd rather wait on someone like Kendall Wright who I think has an extremely similar, albeit lower ceiling (90-100/1000/4-6) yet is also essentially free.
He's going as wr 20 before last night. He'll finish well ahead of that. Great value. I can't think of many guys I'd rather have less than Wright. You lost me there.
He'll finish well ahead of that? So your'e projecting him as a WR1?

As for Wright, in that same year (2013) where Edelman finished WR14 (105/1056/6) Wright finished WR20 (94/1072/2). They share near identical measurables and they serve the same function in their respective offense. Wright has shown the ability to post similar numbers as Edelman but is basically free; his ADP was priced below his floor.
Wright is a good comparison in a vacuum but Edelman's situation > Wright's. I do agree that based on their draft positions, Wright may end up being better value though.

He's a less expensive Randall Cobb.
Haha, no.

Hes like the anti-welker. You go after him it only makes him stronger. Absolutely destroyed Lanes arm, might have just killed a guy.

Don't let him get squirrelly on you.

I think he was appropriately priced (mid-range WR2) this year because his realistic ceiling is high-end WR2 (PPR); something similar to 2013. When grabbing WRs early, I tend to target guys who I think have a real shot at WR1 production and he's not one of them. I guess he's a great type of player to grab if you're looking to mitigate some variance.

Personally, instead of Edelman I'd rather wait on someone like Kendall Wright who I think has an extremely similar, albeit lower ceiling (90-100/1000/4-6) yet is also essentially free.
He's going as wr 20 before last night. He'll finish well ahead of that. Great value. I can't think of many guys I'd rather have less than Wright. You lost me there.
He'll finish well ahead of that? So your'e projecting him as a WR1?

As for Wright, in that same year (2013) where Edelman finished WR14 (105/1056/6) Wright finished WR20 (94/1072/2). They share near identical measurables and they serve the same function in their respective offense. Wright has shown the ability to post similar numbers as Edelman but is basically free; his ADP was priced below his floor.
That's a negative. Wright hasn't shown any ability to match Edelman. And Edelman is #3 wr overall right now so I'd put him at WR1 safely for rest of the year. Way ahead of wr 20

Let's not get to fired up yet. I'm not going to expect this performance every week. We all knew that the Steeler secondary was suspect and now we have a data point that he can exploit the subpar Steeler secondary.

I will feel comfortable after he faces a more challenging secondary, plus his value is not only dependent on his own health but the health of Gronk. So I think there is some risk there.
Time to get fired up yet? :headbang:

I fully expect Edelman to duplicate last year's number and I bet he does it again in 2015...right now there are only two receivers Brady fully trusts and that is Gronk and Edelman (and probably Vereen if we include RBs)...when it comes to the Pats passing game that is by far the most important thing...if Brady trusts you you are going to get fed the ball...it's a very simple formula...I am not saying that Edelman is an All Pro but I do think he is in the perfect spot for him to maximize his talents (and stats)...the kid is very athletic and makes things happen...the only thing that will keep Edelman from being productive is health...he finally stayed healthy last year but he has had his issues staying on the field so it's real important he show he can string along back-to-back injury-free seasons...
A lot of misses in this thread on Edelman but here is 1 person who nailed it.

I was basically offered DT straight up for him. Cant even do it. I have Tom brady as qb and him as my #2 behind Julio and i think he might have a better year than DT with he way the pats are playing. I honestly don't know what it would take for me to give him up.

I was basically offered DT straight up for him. Cant even do it. I have Tom brady as qb and him as my #2 behind Julio and i think he might have a better year than DT with he way the pats are playing. I honestly don't know what it would take for me to give him up.
During the TNF fbg hangout they seemed pretty convinced that Sanders was gonna have a better year than DT.

I don't think it's a stretch to have Edelman inside the top 15 and DT outside of it.

During the TNF fbg hangout they seemed pretty convinced that Sanders was gonna have a better year than DT.

I don't think it's a stretch to have Edelman inside the top 15 and DT outside of it.
Yea i like DT a lot i just don't like that Peyton is running his offense he is running kubiaks and thats not what peyton does best. He was good at reading the defense and knowing he can get a quick slant to DT. So until that changes and peyton gets the reigns back i really don't like DT that much.

How does this guy stay healthy? He is clearly not build for punishment, yet takes massive hits all the time and especially on his 10 receptions per game. I've been holding on to Amendola expecting for Edelman to get hurt or concussed, but he has been ironman for his size.

:confused:

Last year was the first year he was even remotely draftable. (Emerged as a starter partway through the previous season, after a career of utter irrelevance.) He rewarded those who gambled on him by putting up worse numbers in every category, for an ultimately mediocre campaign as a bottom-end WR2. For this, he's been rewarded by having his draft stock rise beyond his production because people like little white receivers to an irrational degree.

This is underrated? If anything, he's overrated. But by all means, buy high after a night when he didn't have to play against any professional defenders. :shrug:

You're not underrated when you're being drafted at your ceiling. This is just guppy overreaction to a shiny week one statline.
You should probably just stay away for a few seasons.

How does this guy stay healthy? He is clearly not build for punishment, yet takes massive hits all the time and especially on his 10 receptions per game. I've been holding on to Amendola expecting for Edelman to get hurt or concussed, but he has been ironman for his size.
Amendola is a fragile person i wouldn't count on him for long if edelman where ever to go down but edelman is just a ball of muscle.

:confused:

Last year was the first year he was even remotely draftable. (Emerged as a starter partway through the previous season, after a career of utter irrelevance.) He rewarded those who gambled on him by putting up worse numbers in every category, for an ultimately mediocre campaign as a bottom-end WR2. For this, he's been rewarded by having his draft stock rise beyond his production because people like little white receivers to an irrational degree.

This is underrated? If anything, he's overrated. But by all means, buy high after a night when he didn't have to play against any professional defenders. :shrug:

You're not underrated when you're being drafted at your ceiling. This is just guppy overreaction to a shiny week one statline.
You should probably just stay away for a few seasons.
Clearly free love is the guppy just not seeing what was coming. The writing was on the wall :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
So this an injury thing or just hr wasn't in the game plan? Should we fear an Amendola resurgence?

Sick. Just sick.

Don't mean to brag but I'm trotting him, Gronk and Lewis out each week against my opponents. It's shooting fish in a barrel right now. 65.1 pts is a nice way to start the week.

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy is truly amazing. Steal of my draft along with lewis. As much as i hate NE in real life love their players for fantasy

Paid $5 more for Edelman than someone had just spent on Vincent Jackson in a $300 auction league, and $2 less than what Golden Tate went for.

Having Brady as well makes these games so joyful.

Users who are viewing this thread