What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (23 Viewers)

Yeah, not my game either but ARKK is down 25% with markets near all time highs, so there’s blood in the streets on some names. 
Yeah, but still green since Thanksgiving and up over 100% annual. Some pull back should be expected. (Some of us had increased our value holdings)

If someone would look at this and convince me that STMH shouldn't just keep going down, I would appreciate it.
I’ll be honest with you. I’m fairly aggressive, albeit spread out so that one stock won’t kill me, but I don’t like penny stocks like this. I’ve taken some fliers if recommended, but I’d call those more small caps than pennies/OTCs where there’s nothing filed our announced for years. CYDY was the riskiest bet I made and that worked out well, but damn the volatility and short attacks sure do take a lot out of you. For example, I bought SKLZ and it’s been awful so far but it’s just a small part of my portfolio and the recent jump by AMZN dwarfs that loss. I’ll give it time to recover but that’s about as risky as I get now. Too much stress.

Yeah, but still green since Thanksgiving and up over 100% annual. Some pull back should be expected. (Some of us had increased our value holdings)
Dips always happen. It should be expected. It’s not fun to watch but it’s inevitable. Hard to remember long term goals when the news and watching is minute by minute.

I've been trading FLGT calls the past few weeks. It goes to $80 per share and I buy the May 21 calls with $70 strike. It goes to the high 80s and close the trade. Just bought back in. It's a volatile stock with options that are not very expensive, something of a rarity.

I've been trading FLGT calls the past few weeks. It goes to $80 per share and I buy the May 21 calls with $70 strike. It goes to the high 80s and close the trade. Just bought back in. It's a volatile stock with options that are not very expensive, something of a rarity.
I don't do options but they interest me - the May 21 calls with $70 strike cost $1500 each (from yahoo finance).  When the price approaches $90 what do you get when you close the position?  I assume the cost of the May 21 call goes up and you collect the difference between the premium at that time and the $1500?  

Homebuilder stocks getting crushed today (more so then rest of market).  I have been on that macro trend for awhile now and if others are interested might be a good day to get feet wet.  Due to my job I can't own individual stocks so just buy the ETF.  

Homebuilder stocks getting crushed today (more so then rest of market).  I have been on that macro trend for awhile now and if others are interested might be a good day to get feet wet.  Due to my job I can't own individual stocks so just buy the ETF.  
Anyone builder you like more than the rest?

Which ETF is this, ITB, XHB? 

NAIL...  🤔

I don't do options but they interest me - the May 21 calls with $70 strike cost $1500 each (from yahoo finance).  When the price approaches $90 what do you get when you close the position?  I assume the cost of the May 21 call goes up and you collect the difference between the premium at that time and the $1500?  
The breakeven price of $85 and the strike date of May are almost immaterial as I am looking to trade these. If FLGT goes up 4% on Wednesday, for instance, then the calls that I bought today for $1500 might be worth $1800 so I may just take the 20% gain and run. The idea is to leverage and benefit from a swift move to the upside, not that it needs to hit $85, necessarily. The more out-of-the-money the calls are, the cheaper they are but the less they move unless the share price really skyrockets. Very low probability but a big payoff if it hits. I chose a slightly in-the-money call to make it a higher likelihood that I get out with most of my principal, if not a 20% or more gain. It's completely a function of the speed and magnitude of the swings. Sooner and bigger is better.

ETA: Out on Wednesday at $18.50 per contract on the $4 rise in share price. Rinse / repeat if it drops t $80 again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just be patient. I know it can be un-nerving to see stocks dropping 10-15-20% so fast. But high growth small and mid cap stocks will behave like this.

I have total conviction on those 3 names (EBS,QS and BLDP).
I held out as long as my concience would let me. Threw in the towel Monday and sold off a bunch.

I'll probably regret it but I'd rather take my lumps now than continue watching my account bleed 5% a day every day.

What's odd is the Dow is at record highs and my index funds are doing fine. Just makes no sense why these are falling so hard.

Ridgeback said:
I hear you completely. I've trimmed a few things over the last month (OESX, DM, IPOE to name a few) but have been too stubborn to close out huge losses on dogs like STMH. What scares me is when we have a broader market correction, how much will these dive then? 

Feeling ok about it all still?

I’ve been buying more all week. :unsure:  
I have a good chunk (for me) and I'm thinking of buying more also.  I just can't understand what is keeping this down.  I'm a little nervous that I'm missing something, or someone overstated results or something.

All the speculative, junk companies seem to be getting slaughtered lately.  I want to look into the hotel chains like HLT as they are likely good targets for 6 month puts.

I have a good chunk (for me) and I'm thinking of buying more also.  I just can't understand what is keeping this down.  I'm a little nervous that I'm missing something, or someone overstated results or something.
I don’t think there is any bad news we are aware of. If there’s something behind the scenes then oh well I guess. I’m betting that’s not the case though. 

Feeling ok about it all still?

I’ve been buying more all week. :unsure:  
I feel as good as I can be after the ride down from $29+. Bankers just sold about $85 million in stock @$18.50 for additional manufacturing.  I freed up some $ to buy more but waiting as I’m outrageously over committed on this one. 

Pre-revenue Biotech has been an absolute dumpster fire for several weeks now, along with other speculative plays. There are narratives which make some think twice on buying in HGEN but I think I have some insight on the sustainability of Covid treatments. In pharma, you really want to be first or best, both is golden - and potentially achievable here. Cutting ties with Kite/Gilead just this week is another sign of confidence in my view. 

Hgen isn’t going to over-promote their situation, it’s a bad look in general and particularly one with Pharma-bro history. That said, they have BARDA support, so government already in their corner.

EBS is as close as you can get to the political forum at this point. If this stock takes another leg down, and I can see that happening, I’m pretty sure I will jump in for a longer term hold. 

The industry does not have excess capacity at all and the quality concerns, which are likely overblown, are going to be addressed. 

I feel as good as I can be after the ride down from $29+. Bankers just sold about $85 million in stock @$18.50 for additional manufacturing.  I freed up some $ to buy more but waiting as I’m outrageously over committed on this one. 

Pre-revenue Biotech has been an absolute dumpster fire for several weeks now, along with other speculative plays. There are narratives which make some think twice on buying in HGEN but I think I have some insight on the sustainability of Covid treatments. In pharma, you really want to be first or best, both is golden - and potentially achievable here. Cutting ties with Kite/Gilead just this week is another sign of confidence in my view. 

Hgen isn’t going to over-promote their situation, it’s a bad look in general and particularly one with Pharma-bro history. That said, they have BARDA support, so government already in their corner.
Yea I’m fairly confident but the ride down does make you question your sanity sometimes. When Fauci mentioned them in his house testimony last week, that’s when I decided to start buying more. 

Users who are viewing this thread