What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (16 Viewers)

Yep, but getting whacked and still being at $2300 is way more than I’d have expected only a few weeks ago. Because I have more than most and didn’t really “pay” for it, I’d be happy to sell at this level for a couple years. More upside post CV is icing on the cake. I think this is going to be like one day delivery where it’s just making them stronger for the long term and able to deal with disruptions that would cripple competitors.
They’ll be at 3k a year from now. I’m buying more today I think. 

So, has all of that "optimism" disappeared?
Meh, everyone chirping here has been pretty bearish lately. The bulls have this ability to disappear then come in and make fun of everyone who wasn't long after the fact. Would like to see some of them pound the table and tell us to buy this dip now as opposed to after the fact. 

Here is my portfolio for long term holds, I add weekly for the next year. The only thing I can't decide is which day of the week to add. I'm considering just adding the first day of every week when the indexes are down 1% for the day, but if that doesn't happen over the week, the buy will be defaulted until Friday at open, no matter what.

I currently own boatloads of my company stock and GOLD. Also, obviously, CYDY.

DCA strategy is for this basket that I intend on owning for a long time. 

AMZN, CVS, DIS, DKNG, FB, HD, JPM, LEN, MGM, NKE, NFLX, NVDA, OKTA, SHOP, STWD, TTD, TWTR, VZ, ZM

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting on NASDAQ would be huge because then it could be traded on Robinhood and a quick name-drop on WSB will take care of the rest.

I'm calling my accountant tomorrow to see if there's a way to migrate some Ira or 401K into my Roth. That would be pretty huge.
Yeah, I think this is one of the details that isn't fully fleshed out yet because of Congress ramming this through so quickly. My guess is that if it is allowed, it would be like a massive backdoor Roth conversion. But I am not a CPA, and the few I have talked to so far have basically said "we are still waiting for clear guidance on how this all works."

Edit: In my case, I am hoping there will somehow be a provision to withdraw from an employer sponsored 401K and be able to redeposit into a self-managed IRA. Like a lot of 401K programs my fund options leave a lot to be desired, but I have no intention of willfully separating my service from my employer any time soon.

Meh, everyone chirping here has been pretty bearish lately. The bulls have this ability to disappear then come in and make fun of everyone who wasn't long after the fact. Would like to see some of them pound the table and tell us to buy this dip now as opposed to after the fact. 
There are more bullish people in here than bearish, but I was referring to the market in general. Someone asked why would we expect a selloff when there is so much optimism, and I pointed out that optimism/sentiment is fickle and can change on a dime (for a number of reasons).

Obviously time will tell whether this is a short term pause or a real change in sentiment, which could send us back down very quickly.

There are more bullish people in here than bearish, but I was referring to the market in general. Someone asked why would we expect a selloff when there is so much optimism, and I pointed out that optimism/sentiment is fickle and can change on a dime (for a number of reasons).

Obviously time will tell whether this is a short term pause or a real change in sentiment, which could send us back down very quickly.
That was me. I wasn’t speaking about a 5-6% drop over a few days, but rather a fall back to 18-19k. I don’t expect that to happen but who really knows. 

Thoughts on LUV?  Seeing they are still bouncing around lows while they have a better brand/balance sheet than a lot of their peers.  What am I missing?

Amazon perjury probe has obviously got short sellers piling in.

Elon Musk - TSLA stock price is too high. 

:popcorn:  

Thoughts on LUV?  Seeing they are still bouncing around lows while they have a better brand/balance sheet than a lot of their peers.  What am I missing?
That's interesting.    :confused: Maybe they didn't sell off enough compared to the rest back in March.

This guy is just asking for the SEC to knock on his door. Again.
I mean is there any precedent for this? CEOs say all the time that their shares are undervalued. Don't think he's doing anything nefarious. Not buying back shares nor doing an equity raise. 

Just a complete guess here—but maybe people are worried about the travel sector in general, the fact that even when the sector comes back—a lot of Southwests flights are short hauls (Cali to vegas, northern Cali to southern Cali)—so its possible that people will replace those short flights by driving as they feel safer and less exposed, and lastly—if I remember right—Southwest has the largest numbers of Boeing max planes versus any other carrier. 

Great airline, well run, customers luv them, however, they are an airline during a pandemic and most of the planes are on the tarmac

That's interesting.    :confused: Maybe they didn't sell off enough compared to the rest back in March.
I owned this stock back in the 90s and I remember how aggressively they hedged the fuel cost.  I'd think all airlines do this to some extent but if it's still the case they are doing this in a larger way then they'd be very upside down with the oil crash.  Not only would they have more downside loss on the hedge, but their volume is destroyed which eliminates the offset of being able to burn lower cost fuel.

ETA this I found just googling that: 

Southwest Airlines has tended to hedge a greater portion of its fuel needs as compared to other major U.S. domestic carriers.[3] Southwest's aggressive fuel hedging has helped the airline partially avoid financial consequences caused by airline industry downturns (e.g., the downturn caused by the 2000s energy crisis). Between 1999 and 2008, Southwest saved more than $4 billion through fuel hedging under the strategic leadership of former CFO Kelly (who became CEO in 2004, and President and Chairman in 2008)

Just a complete guess here—but maybe people are worried about the travel sector in general, the fact that even when the sector comes back—a lot of Southwests flights are short hauls (Cali to vegas, northern Cali to southern Cali)—so its possible that people will replace those short flights by driving as they feel safer and less exposed, and lastly—if I remember right—Southwest has the largest numbers of Boeing max planes versus any other carrier. 
Yeah, I have been debating this point with a friend of mine.  He thinks domestic travel is more likely to come back quicker than international.  But, I agree that drivable trips are going to be a hard sell for a while.

Bold is a good point

Yeah, I have been debating this point with a friend of mine.  He thinks domestic travel is more likely to come back quicker than international.  But, I agree that drivable trips are going to be a hard sell for a while.

Bold is a good point
LUV is only down 50% from pre-COVID which is less than most of the other airlines. But also to this point, think the belief is that business travelers come back first. Don't think people will be getting on planes voluntarily anytime soon. LUV has benefitted from having the best balance sheet thus far though.

What’s the upside in doing that? Tempering expectations?
He's a lunatic. Also tweeted that he's selling almost all of his physical possessions and will own no house. Followed by the star spangled banner. OFC, could be hacked as well, but he is a lunatic.

That was me. I wasn’t speaking about a 5-6% drop over a few days, but rather a fall back to 18-19k. I don’t expect that to happen but who really knows. 
Just about every large sell off starts with a smaller one, but yeah, no one knows, we have to wait and see. My point was that optimism/sentiment is very fickle, particularly in this environment when we have very little fundamentally to go on, and it will likely change directions several times in the next 6 months as we get more "data points". Good "news" turns to bad and vice/versa with one trial, press conference, earnings report, economic report, tweet, etc.

LUV is only down 50% from pre-COVID which is less than most of the other airlines. But also to this point, think the belief is that business travelers come back first. Don't think people will be getting on planes voluntarily anytime soon. LUV has benefitted from having the best balance sheet thus far though.
How much, if at all, do you think CV will affect business traveling going forward?  Corporations have lost money and will seemingly look for areas to save funds.  Seems that they would take a look at travel and wonder if they really need to be sending agents/salesforce to all reaches of the globe.  MSFT pushing the MS Teams with CV relevant commercials lately.  With MS teams, Zoom, skype, FB's app, etc., do you see business travel slowing down?  

Not to say business travel isn't necessary anymore or will go away, just seems like it may slow down when companies can save $ and the advancement of virtual meetings.  Airlines could be in the mire for a long time.  

How much, if at all, do you think CV will affect business traveling going forward?  Corporations have lost money and will seemingly look for areas to save funds.  Seems that they would take a look at travel and wonder if they really need to be sending agents/salesforce to all reaches of the globe.  MSFT pushing the MS Teams with CV relevant commercials lately.  With MS teams, Zoom, skype, FB's app, etc., do you see business travel slowing down?  

Not to say business travel isn't necessary anymore or will go away, just seems like it may slow down when companies can save $ and the advancement of virtual meetings.  Airlines could be in the mire for a long time.  
I do think business travel slows down. Not an expert but hard to think business folks who don't really want to travel and companies that don't want to spend money won't cause them to stop some travel. That said, some business travel is still essential whereas most leisure travel is not. Think business travel is more recession proof (could be wrong). So do think long-term, could be a bad sign but in the near-term, I'd bet on corporate travel. 

In general, think this makes everyone rethink work. I worked on a trading floor. People used to be upset if you weren't on the desk for more than an hour. Not they're putting up massive profits working from home. IG bond market just put up back to back record months with everyone working from home. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/30/goldman-sachs-trader-says-wall-street-never-the-same-after-coronavirus.html

Anything on your list you have your eye on today? Or should people still hold their cash? For the long term, of course.
I am holding my cash I have left as I expected this and this is a start to it. 

Be patient. It went up too far too fast. And was a very top heavy rally. 

Second pullback is ensuing. The question is will it be another violent leg down? Or will it be a more orderly pullback. This market is hinged on headline virus news.....re-openings etc etc etc. 

As always. I will post here when I do some real buying. 

And my list.....I always have my eye on every stock I own. So everything will depend on what kind of leg down do we have. Fear and panic headline selling? Or orderly selling based on fundamentals and reality that yes folks we are in a recession and stocks need to price it in a little better.  

Long term we can find great value as usual. And let’s prey on the panic and fear again.....one more time in this bear market we are most certainly in at this moment. The next bull will start once we know the virus is behind us in a way where we can operate our economy and rehire the 30MM jobs lost. Obviously most will return but some will not due to small business failure at the grassroots local level. 

Went in on another, "not liked by the public," stock today. Consol Energy (CEIX), opened in the $7.40's, waited and caught it at $6.90/share. This is down off a 52-week high of $33.90. I know a lot of people hate coal, but much the same as HAL, not going away in the near future. This is another long in that particular portfolio.

Mancini is a beast. Anyone interested in the yellow rock, he just made another post on it as well.
I got out of all precious metals about a month ago, unfortunately. Listened to some ####### spout about us going into deflationary environment and that there would be better entry points. So I tried to get cute, and now I'm the #######. I'll be getting back in soon, targeting IAU, GDX, PASS, and GOLD.

He was saying 2850 was the line in the sand, correct? What was his downside when that fails to hold?
From a few days ago.

"This morning I posted 2850 was the key level in $SPX and we're there. If SPX is going to see another bounce possibly to a mild new high its from here - once this lvl breaks either direct or after a bounce, this weeks new breakout officially failed and 2720 then 2630 are next down"

Users who are viewing this thread