What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (6 Viewers)

So the vaunted front 7 seemed very pedestrian against a guy who has never taken a snap in a real game.
They got good pressure on him most of the night.  The difference is he got rid of the ball with quick check down passes.  Cam doesn't have that available in Shula's play book.  

So the vaunted front 7 seemed very pedestrian against a guy who has never taken a snap in a real game.
They got good pressure on him most of the night.  The difference is he got rid of the ball with quick check down passes.  Cam doesn't have that available in Shula's play book.  
I wonder if the Big Cat will suggest to Shula to utilize more slants and checkdowns. Cam said this summer that Richardson asked him to improve his accuracy on the short throws that are gimme throws that the defenses allow.

I wonder if the Big Cat will suggest to Shula to utilize more slants and checkdowns. Cam said this summer that Richardson asked him to improve his accuracy on the short throws that are gimme throws that the defenses allow.
Well, we should.  Benjamin and Funchess are too big of targets not to be able to consistently get 3-5 yards in the flat or slant.  What concerns me more is the inability to use the RB as a safety valve.  Stewart has been great, but he is not the "slip out and be available" type of RB.  In this offense it would be nice to have a M. Faulk or E. James type back who does more than just run between the tackles and pass block.  We were talking earlier about RBs in next year's draft.  I would have liked to have seen D. Cook or Chubb in our backfield in the second half last night.  After JStew we have Fozzy Witaker.  He is just not effective enough in a game like last night, or the last one against the broncos.  But that's my opinion.  

I'm not a "but the refs!!!!" guy, but i'm glad to come in here and see that I wasn't the only one seeing those helmet to helmets, launches etc.  Thought I might have been seeing things given no one really addressed them during the game.  I figured they must have changed a rule or something given all the no calls.  They didn't play very well and the defense seemed flat.  It's week 1, but man...would have really liked to start 1-0.

Guess it'll give the :hophead:  something to :hophead:  about though, so there's that.
I'm close to saying #### this and giving up on the NFL.  I'd switch to soccer but the damn refs are worse there when it comes to impacting the game.  Maybe I'll just take up watching golf and curling.

I'm not a "but the refs!!!!" guy, but i'm glad to come in here and see that I wasn't the only one seeing those helmet to helmets, launches etc.  Thought I might have been seeing things given no one really addressed them during the game.  I figured they must have changed a rule or something given all the no calls.  They didn't play very well and the defense seemed flat.  It's week 1, but man...would have really liked to start 1-0.

Guess it'll give the :hophead:  something to :hophead:  about though, so there's that.
I didn't realize how bad it was until I saw some highlights this morning.  They showed several launches at Cam, clearly targeting his head.  But still, Cam gave us a chance to win.  And we'll win plenty of games this year and should make the playoffs.  

Cam can say what he wants, but this game was a rematch.  It had the feel of a playoff game, at least to me.  Crazy it was just opening night.  But the thing is, no matter what the Panthers' record ends up being... they'll always question themselves and others will question their ability to beat Denver.  The game plan for the first half was spot on.  Remmers played well and got help from a RB chip on 58.  Then the second half that strategy was abandoned and Cam ended up running for his life, just like in the SB.  idk.. maybe the broncos just have their number. 

Thomas Davis after the game: 

"Me personally, blitzing on the screen play and not bull-rushing the running back toward the quarterback, that's something that I'm going to look back at from this game that could have made the difference," Davis said.

That was the play of the game.  Collinsworth commented that Davis maybe shouldn't have been fooled by CJ Anderson slipping past him on that play.  

Thomas Davis after the game: 

"Me personally, blitzing on the screen play and not bull-rushing the running back toward the quarterback, that's something that I'm going to look back at from this game that could have made the difference," Davis said.

That was the play of the game.  Collinsworth commented that Davis maybe shouldn't have been fooled by CJ Anderson slipping past him on that play.  
Yeah the radio guys called him out on that one. An uncharacteristic play by TD.

I didn't realize how bad it was until I saw some highlights this morning.  They showed several launches at Cam, clearly targeting his head.  But still, Cam gave us a chance to win.  And we'll win plenty of games this year and should make the playoffs.  

Cam can say what he wants, but this game was a rematch.  It had the feel of a playoff game, at least to me.  Crazy it was just opening night.  But the thing is, no matter what the Panthers' record ends up being... they'll always question themselves and others will question their ability to beat Denver.  The game plan for the first half was spot on.  Remmers played well and got help from a RB chip on 58.  Then the second half that strategy was abandoned and Cam ended up running for his life, just like in the SB.  idk.. maybe the broncos just have their number. 
This is ridiculous. Resulting in helmet to helmet hits, yes, but clearly targeting his head is a bit much. I get that you guys like your boy and all, but settle down. He's a tremendously difficult player to officiate for. A little like Shaq in that regard. He could also stand to quit looking for a flag after every single play. Who does he think he is, Tim Duncan? 

This is ridiculous. Resulting in helmet to helmet hits, yes, but clearly targeting his head is a bit much. I get that you guys like your boy and all, but settle down. He's a tremendously difficult player to officiate for. A little like Shaq in that regard. He could also stand to quit looking for a flag after every single play. Who does he think he is, Tim Duncan? 
Highlights showed leading with the helmet up high on the body of the QB.  What else were they expecting to hit?  And how is he more difficult to officiate for?  If a defender leads with the helmet and makes contact with the QB's helmet, that is an easy call.  It shouldn't matter who the QB is.  That comment is what's ridiculous.  

Highlights showed leading with the helmet up high on the body of the QB.  What else were they expecting to hit?  And how is he more difficult to officiate for?  If a defender leads with the helmet and makes contact with the QB's helmet, that is an easy call.  It shouldn't matter who the QB is.  That comment is what's ridiculous.  
Maybe because he's half a foot taller than everyone tackling him? He's more difficult to officiate for because he's a monster. Hits roll off of him like no other. Officials are watching this in real-time not sportscenter super slow-mo. If you think for one second, with the current state of affairs in the NFL, with the face of the league on center stage on opening night, no less, that the lead officiating crew would bypass or side-step any of these 'egregious' hits, you're nuts. Did they miss a call or two? I suppose it's possible, but I doubt it. The Marshall hit was the only play that I saw that anyone missed. The rest were football plays. If you think the Miller play where the face masks touched should be called you need a new hobby. 

Not ready to fire Shula, but there was no adjustment in the second half.  They stopped helping against Miller with a RB.  And why are all our pass plays designed for 30 yards down field?  The single turning point in the game, imo, was the screen pass starting the 4th quarter.  Was a thing of beauty if you're a bronco fan.  Why don't we have plays like this?  Where are the safety valve tosses to a RB in the flat or out wide?  
The announcers said how well Remmers was doing on Miller and showed formations and how Cam was stepping up in the pocket. Second half was just let's go back to what didn't work in the Super Bowl. Watch the plays where Miller beat Remmers on the last drive, Cam is dropping deep and is exactly where Miller will be if he just tries to speed rush around Remmers and Remmers has 0 help for the speed rush.

Pantherclub can laugh, but I 100% agree that we have no screen passes/dump offs at all. It's almost like they think Cam can just escape and run in those cases. Well, against a good pass rush, it ends in a hit or a sack. Our pass rush didn't make a ton off hits because they had those safety valves and Siemian got rid of the ball right away. We seem to not be happy with short passes. It's either a run or a pass downfield. Shula doesn't seem to get the short passing game being like runs. Maybe it is Cam, maybe he's not good in the short game, but we don't seem to try at all.

The announcers said how well Remmers was doing on Miller and showed formations and how Cam was stepping up in the pocket. Second half was just let's go back to what didn't work in the Super Bowl. Watch the plays where Miller beat Remmers on the last drive, Cam is dropping deep and is exactly where Miller will be if he just tries to speed rush around Remmers and Remmers has 0 help for the speed rush.

Pantherclub can laugh, but I 100% agree that we have no screen passes/dump offs at all. It's almost like they think Cam can just escape and run in those cases. Well, against a good pass rush, it ends in a hit or a sack. Our pass rush didn't make a ton off hits because they had those safety valves and Siemian got rid of the ball right away. We seem to not be happy with short passes. It's either a run or a pass downfield. Shula doesn't seem to get the short passing game being like runs. Maybe it is Cam, maybe he's not good in the short game, but we don't seem to try at all.
100% agree with this. It was baffling that they didn't throw some RB screens when it was obvious that Denver was just pinning their ears back and rushing full steam.

Panthers need to get an enforcer or goon.  Stand Miller up on a run play have then have someone else take him down from the side at the knees.  Rinse and repeat until he's ####### carried of on a stretcher.

I'm a neutral and I thought the refs were absolutely terrible last night and that the field was clearly slanted by them in Denver's favor, especially when they got down.  I just think the refs were looking to prevent the Grand Opening of the NFL season from being a blowout.  Yes, it's an outrageous claim and I don't think Gooddell is sending Sta, but I think the NFL refs are getting to be just as bad as NBA refs.  

There needs to be a no-targeting rule in the NFL.  It should be subject to video review and when it happens, that player should be ejected.  If the NFL really wants to clean up the game from these hits, that would surely show that they mean business.  

The non-calls on Cam were so bad, and were offset by a personal foul on a Carolina OL who hit an untouched Denver ballcarrier (did not lead with his head).  Maybe it was too rough, but you can't call that and ignore the headshots on Cam.  Sure, the guy is 6'6", but doesn't that make it all the more egregious when a guy launches himself upwards into Cam's head?  Aside from the targeting, there were several times Cam got swatted in the head by pass rushers.  You think Brady/Eli/Brees gets those calls?  You think a launching call on Brady et al would be offset by a grounding call?  GTFO.  Hated or not, Cam is one of the league's marquis players and he should be protected by the rules that are there to protect him. 

It's pretty clear on video at least two.players launched themselves at Cams head. And it isn't just Panthers fans who are outraged. 

Maybe because he's half a foot taller than everyone tackling him? He's more difficult to officiate for because he's a monster. Hits roll off of him like no other. Officials are watching this in real-time not sportscenter super slow-mo. If you think for one second, with the current state of affairs in the NFL, with the face of the league on center stage on opening night, no less, that the lead officiating crew would bypass or side-step any of these 'egregious' hits, you're nuts. Did they miss a call or two? I suppose it's possible, but I doubt it. The Marshall hit was the only play that I saw that anyone missed. The rest were football plays. If you think the Miller play where the face masks touched should be called you need a new hobby. 
Your aren't making any sense.  He's taller, yes.  Yet they still lead with their helmet towards his head.  See the video that Bostonfred posted.  Did they miss a call or two?  absolutely.

And I never said anything about the Miller face mask against Benjamin.  I thought that was ticky-tack.  However, hands to the face is illegal and that is what he did by grabbing his face mask and pushing it up.  A call is a call.  

It seems pretty clear. I mean there is video of them.dling just that. What do you think happens when they do it to Aaron Rodgers?
Oh it's a Cam thing? You bozos are nuts. It's Cam Freaking Newton. He's the second biggest star in the entire league. I don't know why you people insist on this line of thinking but I'm guessing it's just garden variety trolling. What does the NFL stand to gain from allowing free passes to Cam Newton's head? Explain that. 

Intentional or not, we all saw how bad the last couple were and how he was struggling.  Why didn't he need to be taken off and evaluated, you know, player safety and all? 

HOT TAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :lmao:  

You are a complete moron. Difficult to officiate? Helmet to helmet is about as easy as it gets. He sure looked like those hits roll off of him. Did you see him rolling on the ground after two of them. Feel free to see what it's like to have a 240 pound LB launch himself into your helmet. Love you Shaq analogy. It works well when he's taking head to head collisions. Oh, that's right it's arm in arm contact, which means it is nothing like a helmet to helmet hit and a terrible analogy. 

:goodposting:   The same protection should be afforded to any player on any team.  
They should just do it like college football already does. The play is reviewed and the player thrown out. Just happened in the Tennessee App State game. It's not hard. 2 guys should have been thrown out. I don't see why you can't review personal fouls or lack there of. Those 15 yards are pretty big plays one way or the other. 

You are a complete moron. Difficult to officiate? Helmet to helmet is about as easy as it gets. He sure looked like those hits roll off of him. Did you see him rolling on the ground after two of them. Feel free to see what it's like to have a 240 pound LB launch himself into your helmet. Love you Shaq analogy. It works well when he's taking head to head collisions. Oh, that's right it's arm in arm contact, which means it is nothing like a helmet to helmet hit and a terrible analogy. 
Oh, a complete moron? Insults? Already? It's actually a fine analogy and the fact that you can't see the correlation is nearly as telling as your inability to master the you you're yours enigma. Shaq is huge - markedly bigger than his nearest contemporary - and fouls just looked different both from him and to him. Cam is similar in that regard except when you consider his obvious flops. I get it, you don't want your guy hurt. And when you factor in the fact that it seems like TB gets every call imaginable I can almost understand your frustration. Problem is there's no way in hell the NFL has it out for your guy. And you just come across as ignorant suggesting as much. 

That was a lot of points. The defense is still inconsistent but they did some good work this week mitigating the effect of turnovers. And although we lost 4 we got 3 and scored directly off one. So even if that had been a better team I think we would have survived it. I don't know how you don't have CAP up when you have the running back made of glass as your starter. I like Stew. When he is healthy there are few better especially in yards after first contact. But dude gets hurt, a lot. You got a guy like CAP keeping him up seems like a no-brainer to me. But then I don't get paid to do that so what do I know. Benjamin looks to be fully back. He kind of took over that game for a bit. Olsen was all outrunning the defense. Does he get faster every year to? It was good to see Funchess getting some time. The line played pretty well. Still feel like the D-line hasn't been as productive as it was last year. Go to like Shaq coming along.

So although, as is their wont, the Panthers tried to induce broken televisions with a bit of a swoon they did get back on track and even covered the 14 point spread. Vikes next. AP wasn't looking so good the last time I saw anything on him. Hope he isn't seriously injured. Although I wouldn't cry to hard if they decided he needed a couple weeks to get back.

Last edited by a moderator:
The D-Line has disappeared if it was there to begin with :oldunsure:

And Luke hasn't been playing to his standard.  Yeah, they have some good will, but man...it'd be nice to sit and watch a game where I don't have to wonder about a comeback when up by double digits.  Hopefully they get the D-Line sorted out soon.  They will need to get pressure on Bradford early and often or Diggs is going to run wild in the secondary this coming week.

Defensive backfield is awful and we're lucky the TE dropped the other pass when he got 5 yards past all of them.  That's going to be the down fall.  I'm starting to wish they would have paid Norman and used at least two of those CB draft picks on other areas of need.  Unless you are New England or Pitt, who have their collective houses in order, the window of opportunity doesn't stay open for very long. 

The D-line just can't seem to get to the QB anymore.  I think Bradberry is going to be a fine CB, but putting him out there with no free safety help in the middle and he is toast.  Norman definitely defends that slant pass for the TD.  

I don't know what's wrong with CAP... but this is why it's time to draft a viable starting RB next year and I hope we get one.  Fozzy had a good outing but that fumble.  I cringe every time he runs the ball.  And butter fingers Ginn was back out there yesterday.  The total lack of effort on that kick return was unacceptable.  

I thought Luke did fine.  He had 11 tackles and the INT.  The line can't get penetration.  Most of the tackles for loss was when Coleman blitzed off the end.  But that's going to leave one of the rookie CBs exposed to that slant.  

Stewart has been great, but he's never going to be a back to rely on.  I thought we were very fortunate that he lasted through the playoffs last year.  The hammy injury may last a long time.  CAP, Fozzy and Tolbert.  Yeesh. 

CJ Spiller an option?  

Doesn't seem like Norman has done all that much and Bradberry does have a pick. One more than Josh at this point. Further on the TD it was the safety being out of position that was the problem.not Bradberry. Star had a sack and KK blew up some plays before they got going.

We have some consistency problems but the sky hasn't fallen yet.

Doesn't seem like Norman has done all that much and Bradberry does have a pick. One more than Josh at this point. Further on the TD it was the safety being out of position that was the problem.not Bradberry. Star had a sack and KK blew up some plays before they got going.

Brad had no help to the inside and found himself out of position.  Norman doesn't have a INT but he's defended almost every throw to his man on that side of the field.  The other CB has been lit up but Norman has been great so far.  And Norman has forced two fumbles.  

I did like Brad's pick, though.  Like I said, he is going to be a nice CB.  He just isn't ready yet to cover one on one on deep balls.  

Brad had no help to the inside and found himself out of position.  Norman doesn't have a INT but he's defended almost every throw to his man on that side of the field.  The other CB has been lit up but Norman has been great so far.  And Norman has forced two fumbles.  

I did like Brad's pick, though.  Like I said, he is going to be a nice CB.  He just isn't ready yet to cover one on one on deep balls.  
Thing is he was supposed to have help to the inside but the safety was out of position because he misplayed it. Yes Bradberry is a rookie and so will do some rookie stuff but he has already shown a willingness to learn and work within the system. Something it took 3 years to get Norman to do.

The rookie CBs will improve. Josh Norman struggled his first two seasons with the Panthers. He played in 12 games his rookie season before being benched, and he only played 7 games his second year. It wasn't until his third season that he caught on. 

I thought Worley played well yesterday.  I hope you don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying they aren't going to be good.  Our window of SB opportunity is open now.  Our young defensive backfield is going to let us down on several occasions this season.  I just wish we had more veteran leadership back there, like a Norman and/or a Tillman (in his prime).  

NCCommish said:
To be fair to Luke he has 21 tackles and an interception in 2 games. So he is on pace for a 160 tackle season.
Certainly "first world problems" for sure, but man....those are uncharacteristic mistakes by Luke, and they hurt.

This team is trying to be the Patriots. A team whose window seems to always be open. That starts with the QB. It includes stability at HC. And it requires a GM who can be tough and somewhat heartless. I think we have those ingredients. If anything our window is just coming open. And it should stay open for quite a while.

I would like to still have Norman. I'm glad we didn't mortgage the future to do it.
True and I agree.  I just wish they had been able to get the franchise tag on him for this year, while our window is open.  But anyway, that ship has sailed.  I think our rookies will be fine in time.  

Users who are viewing this thread