What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The cocktail thread (2 Viewers)

Everyone is out of yellow chartreuse around here, so bartered some violette with a friend. She threw in some homemade loquat ss, so I’m eager to whip something up. Given it’s peachy-melony-ness, bourbon seems like the right base. Open to suggestions on what to concoct. Mint could be a nice complement, definitely lemon juice. Maybe tea?  

Everyone is out of yellow chartreuse around here, so bartered some violette with a friend. She threw in some homemade loquat ss, so I’m eager to whip something up. Given it’s peachy-melony-ness, bourbon seems like the right base. Open to suggestions on what to concoct. Mint could be a nice complement, definitely lemon juice. Maybe tea?  
Does said neighbor have some loquats?

If so, get some and make bourbon loquat smashes. If not, sub peaches. Bourbon, peaches, mint, lemon juice, loquat SS

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn’t get any loquats. Doing a smash was definitely on the list. 
If this neighbor has loquat juice, get some and make bourbon/rye sours with booze, loquat sour mix, and egg white. I might put slap a nice sprig of Rosemary and add that as a garnish

A well balanced and scratch made cocktail is a beauty and a joy forever. Or, at least until the next round
No denying. I am just not the type to invest in setting up and maintaining a bar set-up like that. I just keep around the basics for Old Fash, Manhattans, Martinis and a couple other drinks based on season. I am jealous of the type of people who can really put the dedication in to make a bar that can bust out these awesome drinks one after another. 

No denying. I am just not the type to invest in setting up and maintaining a bar set-up like that. I just keep around the basics for Old Fash, Manhattans, Martinis and a couple other drinks based on season. I am jealous of the type of people who can really put the dedication in to make a bar that can bust out these awesome drinks one after another. 
My love will always be the fermented grape but I love making scratch made mixes, infused liquor and simple syrups, scratch made whipping creams, sometimes infused, for hot drinks in the winter, squeezing fresh juices

My take is if you like Manhattans, don't skimp on the base liquor or the vermouth. Martinis? Same thing. Old Fashioned? I want rye, but bourbon if that is all you have. Experiment with different bitters and PLEASE, no club soda...EVER! I don't even like fruit muddled in an Old Fashioned. Garnish? Sure, but give me a orange twist if that's your house style but a lemon twist really takes the drink to a new level

My love will always be the fermented grape but I love making scratch made mixes, infused liquor and simple syrups, scratch made whipping creams, sometimes infused, for hot drinks in the winter, squeezing fresh juices

My take is if you like Manhattans, don't skimp on the base liquor or the vermouth. Martinis? Same thing. Old Fashioned? I want rye, but bourbon if that is all you have. Experiment with different bitters and PLEASE, no club soda...EVER! I don't even like fruit muddled in an Old Fashioned. Garnish? Sure, but give me a orange twist if that's your house style but a lemon twist really takes the drink to a new level
Thanks, I feel I have those core drinks down and totally agree with you on everything except the lemon twist over orange twist. 

Bonaparte Manhattan

3 oz Rye

1 oz Punt e Mes (Always my choice but if you have a nice vermouth you prefer, go for it)

.5 oz Mandarine Napoleon (Napoleon can be a bit syrupy so I might want to try this with Pierre Ferrand Dry Curaçao to see how it tastes)

Dash of Averna Amaro (Don’t have Averna but a different Amaro? Go for it!)

Stir all ingredients over ice until well chilled, pour into an up glass, garnish with a Maraschino cherry

I was today years old when I mixed gin and bourbon into a legitimate cocktail but this was ####### delicious:

1.5 oz Bourbon
1 oz Gin
1 oz lemon juice
0.75 oz loquat syrup
0.25 oz Campari

Well, since I’ve got this lemon juice, I may as well give this a whirl. I just ordered some Aperol and Nonino Amaro to pick up curbside this afternoon. Attempting my first Paper Plane. 

Don Quixote said:
Well, since I’ve got this lemon juice, I may as well give this a whirl. I just ordered some Aperol and Nonino Amaro to pick up curbside this afternoon. Attempting my first Paper Plane. 
Sounds good, I’ll take one over here

I use bartener.live, an app I think I paid a couple bucks for. It does exactly this.
Thank you!  Based on your recommendation I bought this app and love it.  It's easy to use and has already introduced me to a few new drinks.  And more importantly has already expanded my bar inventory.

1 part My Wife's Work From Home Never-Ending Stories About Work From Home

1 part My Wife's Work From Home Never-Ending Stories About Construction Crews In Our Neighborhood

1 part My Wife's Work From Home Never-Ending Stories About The Neighborhood Ducks ("They LOVE Each Other!!!")

7 Parts Vodka

7 Parts Diet Pepsi

3.5 Parts Ice

Stir

Let’s talk creative garnish. There are some pretty amazing works of art on YouTube (decocktail for one) and some absolute ####. Does anyone have go-to resources for some cool and different effects?  In my repertoire right now:

rustic zest (just a straight peel)

twist

rose

Slivered rose (cut thin slices into a slightly rounded peel for star effect)

sea shell

plane shape for paper plane, which while on theme, never really impresses me

been using more herbs lately, which are easy to dress up a drink with, but would like to broaden horizons. 

A buddy of mine from college owns a bar in San Fran (Elixir) and as far as Bay Area bartenders go, he's a famous one. A place we all hung out at in Boston back in the day, one where his band he played regularly, closed down for good a couple of weeks ago. In remembrance of Great Scott's, and as a fundraiser to help avoid the same fate for his bar, he's running an online two-hour mixology class on Thurs night. Here are the details: LINK 

Trust me, this guy is legit and you will learn some things. @Jules Winnfield @-jb- @Ramsay Hunt Experience and others with seemingly well-stocked bars - check it out, right up your alley.

A buddy of mine from college owns a bar in San Fran (Elixir) and as far as Bay Area bartenders go, he's a famous one. A place we all hung out at in Boston back in the day, one where his band he played regularly, closed down for good a couple of weeks ago. In remembrance of Great Scott's, and as a fundraiser to help avoid the same fate for his bar, he's running an online two-hour mixology class on Thurs night. Here are the details: LINK 

Trust me, this guy is legit and you will learn some things. @Jules Winnfield @-jb- @Ramsay Hunt Experience and others with seemingly well-stocked bars - check it out, right up your alley.
Thanks for posting. I know that bar well...back in the late 90s, a friend of mine managed it which led to much post-closure debauchery.

Thanks for posting. I know that bar well...back in the late 90s, a friend of mine managed it which led to much post-closure debauchery.
Small world. :thumbup:

I was't among them but a bunch of my buddies invested a few grand each in the place when H bought it, and refer to themselves as co-owners. In essence it was pre-paying for a lifetime of drinks on the house whenever they were in town. I don't get to SF often but when I do a late night at Elixir is on the agenda. 

Small world. :thumbup:

I was't among them but a bunch of my buddies invested a few grand each in the place when H bought it, and refer to themselves as co-owners. In essence it was pre-paying for a lifetime of drinks on the house whenever they were in town. I don't get to SF often but when I do a late night at Elixir is on the agenda. 
it's a phenomenal location these days, given the gentrification/hipsterization of the mission.

I'm on a paloma kick at the moment.  I've always loved margaritas, but I think I like palomas even better, and they're super easy to make.  One can of Squirt and one lime yields 2 good size glasses.  I' want to try switching the Squirt to Jarrito's grapefruit soda next time if I can track some down. 

I'm on a paloma kick at the moment.  I've always loved margaritas, but I think I like palomas even better, and they're super easy to make.  One can of Squirt and one lime yields 2 good size glasses.  I' want to try switching the Squirt to Jarrito's grapefruit soda next time if I can track some down. 
We've been on these at my house lately as well using this grapefruit soda from Whole Foods. Love em.

When making Palomas, I prefer using grapefruit juice, club soda and simple syrup.  They tend to me more tart and less sweet.  Either way, big fan.

I just tried a vodka, aperol, grapefruit juice and splash of sparkling ICE grapefruit for some fizz. Extra tall.

You can really get the rhubarb.

When making Palomas, I prefer using grapefruit juice, club soda and simple syrup.  They tend to me more tart and less sweet.  Either way, big fan.
That's what I've been doing. I'm out of grapefruits now. We get this weekly box of produce from a local guy who is a restaurant supplier and needed to shift his business somehow. As someone who never knows what drink I'll want in 4 days or so, I don't have much consistently stocked, so now I just make drinks based on what came in the box!

I've got the jarritos for palomas this weekend 
Experiment with different flavors to make different drinks. Tamarind with flavors of sweet and sour, along with a blanco tequila and more agave forward notes of citrus, herbs, and black pepper. Using reposado tequila would ease the citrus and pepper and add hints of oak and some vanilla. Introduce some heat for balance by either muddling up a bit of hot pepper or dehydrate one, pulverize it, and add to the salt you're using to rim the glass. 

Different peppers have different tasting notes. Serranos have a citrus taste, Anaheim has a touch of sweet, hatch brings those earthy notes, anchos a bit of raisin, and habaneros have tropical fruit notes, 

Feeling tropical islands? Reposado tequila, your choice of tropical juice, and coconut water all shaken over ice. Strain over ice (preferable a large cube) and a touch of Jarritos Pineapple. A bit of muddled habanero would balance the tropical juice, pineapple, and coconut nicely. Give it a bit of a char and now smokiness makes an appearance

If you like smoke, Mezcal baby! I love sipping on a mezcal but a mezcal paloma sounds fantastic. I'm gonna need a couple hours on this because I'm taking the paloma and it's not gonna be in the same ballpark

Anjeo Tequila? That's for sipping 

Instinctive said:
That's what I've been doing. I'm out of grapefruits now. We get this weekly box of produce from a local guy who is a restaurant supplier and needed to shift his business somehow. As someone who never knows what drink I'll want in 4 days or so, I don't have much consistently stocked, so now I just make drinks based on what came in the box!
I love the challenge of this.  Open the box and get creative.

Alright, this is good. I prefer the bitter over the sour, so dialed down the lemon juice a little bit for Round #2... and maybe Round #3.

The wife was jonesin to try Peanut butter Whiskey.

Picked some up last weekend, she made a Peanut butter Cup martini.

I had a taste. Was pretty damn delicious. 

2/3 Screwball Peanut butter whiskey

1/3 Creme de Cacao

Shaker w/ ice and let it fly

Yeah, she got wrecked. Was a fun night.
My wife was there as well, though a complete light weight:

1 Part Skrewball
1 Part Disaronno
1 Part Godiva Chocolate Liqueur
2 Parts Chocolate Milk

Playing 18 tomorrow. Debating what I can toss in the corkcicle.

Alright, this is good. I prefer the bitter over the sour, so dialed down the lemon juice a little bit for Round #2... and maybe Round #3.
Sam Ross created the drink in 2007 at The Violet Hour in Chicago, subbed Campari for Aperol when he left and went to Milk & Honey in New York

I dialed the lemon juice WAY back (as in, cut it by about 90%) when I made the second batch of these and it was light years better than the original recipe. I've yet to come across a cocktail recipe using lemon or lime juice that doesn't benefit by reducing the amount of the juice dramatically. 
Are you using fresh lemon juice?

Went on a gin and st Germain tangent this weekend. 

2oz Gin
1/2oz grapefruit juice
1/2oz lemon juice
3/4oz St Germain
1/4oz Loquat syrup
1 dash orange bitters
Muddled basil
Garnish: basil leaf

1.5 oz Gin
1⁄2 oz St Germain
1⁄4 oz lemon juice
2 oz pomegranate juice
2 dashes orange bitters

Garnish: lemon twist

2 muddled Cucumber slices
4 Muddled Mint leaves
3/4 oz Simple syrup
1 oz Lemon juice
1.5 oz Gin
Garnish: Mint sprig, Cucumber ribbon

I've been making a pinapple martini for my gf which is pretty good if you want something summery.  For two glasses:

6 oz. can pinapple juice

Juice from a good sized lime, about 1 oz.

4 oz. Vodka

2 oz. Cointrau or some orange liquer.

1 oz. Cognac or Bourbon or whiskey 

1 tspn of sugar, optiinal. 

Shake and serve in chilled martini glass with a chunk of pinapple 

Mint julep

Don’t have julep tins so I just use copper mugs, also crushing the ice is a pain but they’re so delicious 

@Jules Winnfield how do we feel about tequila and watermelon as a flavor profile 
I’m not Jules, but I’m all for it. Check this out:

1 cup cubed watermelon 

1.5 oz silver tequila

0.5 oz Cointreau 

0.5 oz lime juice 

0.25oz simple syrup

1/8 jalapeño, seeded or not (depending on your flavor profile

blend all ingredients extremely well. Pour into cocktail shaker with ice. Shake and double strain (important) into cocktail glass. Serve up with jalapeño slice for garnish.

Went on a gin and st Germain tangent this weekend. 

2oz Gin
1/2oz grapefruit juice
1/2oz lemon juice
3/4oz St Germain
1/4oz Loquat syrup
1 dash orange bitters
Muddled basil
Garnish: basil leaf

1.5 oz Gin
1⁄2 oz St Germain
1⁄4 oz lemon juice
2 oz pomegranate juice
2 dashes orange bitters

Garnish: lemon twist

2 muddled Cucumber slices
4 Muddled Mint leaves
3/4 oz Simple syrup
1 oz Lemon juice
1.5 oz Gin
Garnish: Mint sprig, Cucumber ribbon
I need to find my recipe for a drink I created called the Wylie Coyote with Hendricks Gin, fresh Sage, Simple Syrup, fresh Lemon Juice, and St Germain

Users who are viewing this thread