What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The cocktail thread (2 Viewers)

Cooler weather here in Michigan, feeling like fall with school back and football starting. Making my Auturmn Old Fashioned:

Apple Cider Simple Syrup (just reduced apple cider)

A cranberry and mulled spices bitters

Apple wedge with some cinnamon as a garnish

Last edited by a moderator:
No cider so I'm going to make a variation on a Gold Rush and use maple syrup
Too sweet.  The maple syrup overpowers the bourbon.  I think that must be why the Kentucky Waffle adds the cider.  I guess I could have bothered to make maple simple syrup but I'm on a tight schedule of getting hammered.

ETA - did not enjoy.

Too sweet.  The maple syrup overpowers the bourbon.  I think that must be why the Kentucky Waffle adds the cider.  I guess I could have bothered to make maple simple syrup but I'm on a tight schedule of getting hammered.

ETA - did not enjoy.
If you just subbed the maple syrup for the honey syrup in the gold rush, I would imagine that would be the case. 

enjoy getting after it. I start in 30 minutes. 

Ginger Orange Bourbon sour

Ginger simply syrup (ginger syrups = less sweet usually, mine definitely has less sugar in it than a 1:1 simple)

Fresh squeezed orange juice (because it is less sour than a lemon or lime)

Bourbon of choice

a little bit of Luxardo cherry juice from the jar (like barely a couple drops)

egg white because I like the texture

Delicious. Tried it because all I had was an orange and I remembered the cocktail class lesson from last month with Pratt syrup's owner that said the less sweet the other ingredients, the less sour a citrus you should choose for your sour.

Ok, this may bring the wrath of Scooby but I just made this concoction from Greg at How to Drink.  I wanted to test it out before a party this weekend.  

The Breakfast Club

2 oz. Cereal Milk

.5 oz. Demerara Syrup

1.5 oz. Bourbon 

This is basically a melted milkshake with booze but it was actually pretty delicious.  It’s a dessert drink, IMO.

Link to make the Momofuku Cereal Milk

Demerara Syrup - I had to substitute with turbinado but seems to be similar enough.

Bourbon I went with Buffalo Trace.

Forgot to mention in the post - I did top it with Lucky Charms marshmallows but I didn’t grate them - I think that would be a nice tough that I’ll do at the party.  Also, in the cereal milk recipe I used Frosted Flakes instead of just straight Corn Flakes.

Somebody asked for a drink for the ladies who don’t like booze - this can be added.  Just drop the bourbon down to .5 to 1 oz.  in fact, based on my taste test that may be a good idea in general because I downed that first one way too quick.  Danger potential with this one if the person you are serving isn’t typically a drinker.

Sounds more like a shot than a cocktail I would sip
Why not both? ;)  

Seriously, I questioned it and I’m sure most purist cocktail drinkers will probably hate it.  I was skeptical myself but I love watching H2D and he raved about how delicious this was.  And he’s right.  I’d never make this on a regular basis but for a party it’s a fun thing to try as a one off.  Nose is totally like drinking the leftover milk from your cereal bowl and then taste is same with a bourbon punch finish.  It’s damn tasty.

Why not both? ;)  

Seriously, I questioned it and I’m sure most purist cocktail drinkers will probably hate it.  I was skeptical myself but I love watching H2D and he raved about how delicious this was.  And he’s right.  I’d never make this on a regular basis but for a party it’s a fun thing to try as a one off.  Nose is totally like drinking the leftover milk from your cereal bowl and then taste is same with a bourbon punch finish.  It’s damn tasty.
It sounds like a fun party drink for sure but to me those kind of drinks always work best in a small dose. Just my opinion. 

Next week we are heading to the beach with another family.  Good friends of ours - the husband drinks almost exclusively Cuba Libres.  I enjoy those myself but its literally about the only alcohol I’ve ever seen him have other than maybe a margarita.  So, as a thank you for the invite I want to get him a nice (but obviously not too nice) bottle of rum to give to him.  Any suggestions?

I’ve never made one either  - I have some Aperol myself but don’t have the Amaro.
Same  Anyway for the question, I am sure if you took bourbon, Aperol and sweet vermouth it would work out pretty well. Build it like  Boulevardier, right?

Next week we are heading to the beach with another family.  Good friends of ours - the husband drinks almost exclusively Cuba Libres.  I enjoy those myself but its literally about the only alcohol I’ve ever seen him have other than maybe a margarita.  So, as a thank you for the invite I want to get him a nice (but obviously not too nice) bottle of rum to give to him.  Any suggestions?
Bumbu (around $37 here)

Same  Anyway for the question, I am sure if you took bourbon, Aperol and sweet vermouth it would work out pretty well. Build it like  Boulevardier, right?
Overly sweet. You’d need to cut the aperol and vermouth portions down some

Cuba libres typically call for white rum, but you won’t find much of that on the higher end (if any). Flor de Cana (dark) is about $50 and awesome. 

Two cocktails last night

Star Cocktail

1 1/2 ounces apple brandy

1 1/2 ounces sweet vermouth

3 dashes Peychaud's Bitters (or Angostura Bitters)

2 dashes gomme syrup

This was really, really good.  I have a 7.5 year Lairds, used Antico and Angostura.  I did have to substitute my syrup as I didn’t have gum syrup.

El Presidente

1 1/2 ounces white rum

3/4 ounce orange curaçao

3/4 ounce dry vermouth

1 dash grenadine

I made How to Drink’s variation on this - it uses Lillet instead of vermouth.  Honestly, I hated this drink and I think I had some kind of reaction to the Lillet, the curaçao or the combo.  The nose on it reminded me immediately of something that had made me sick in the past - it was bizarre.  The taste wasn’t bad but I literally couldn’t get past the smell.  Then I started feeling bad and my head hurt.  Could I have some kind of allergy thing going on??  It was so bad I poured out over half the cocktail and I hate wasting booze.

Not sure if I got this from here but sharing just in case. I don't like overly sweet drinks so I just cut the simple syrup and added a little more Pama. It's delicious. Even my wife who doesn't like bourbon said it's her new favorite drink. 

https://www.liquor.com/recipes/forbidden-sour/

Also made this last night which was really tasty. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/cocktails/comments/ivvm1c/gin_basil_smash_in_an_awesome_glass_i_picked_up/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

Made paper planes last weekend.  Was way better than I anticipated.  Gonna hit those up again.  Any other solid use for the amario nonio(spelling is off sue me.)

Made paper planes last weekend.  Was way better than I anticipated.  Gonna hit those up again.  Any other solid use for the amario nonio(spelling is off sue me.)
European Vagrant

1 oz. rye whiskey

1 oz. Laird’s Applejack or Bonded Apple Brandy

1/2 oz. Amaro Nonino

1/2 tsp. simple syrup

Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass with ice and stir until chilled. Strain into an old fashioned glass with one large ice cube. Garnish with an apple fan and an orange twist.

Made these last weekend - pretty good.  There’s a lot going on there but I enjoyed it.

Not sure if I got this from here but sharing just in case. I don't like overly sweet drinks so I just cut the simple syrup and added a little more Pama. It's delicious. Even my wife who doesn't like bourbon said it's her new favorite drink. 

https://www.liquor.com/recipes/forbidden-sour/
Going to have a few of these tonight. First one was a little sweet so will do as you mentioned and cut the simple syrup on the next. 

Going to have a few of these tonight. First one was a little sweet so will do as you mentioned and cut the simple syrup on the next. 
They’re sneaky with the Pama and the bourbon. Let me know how you like it or if you make any additional adjustments!

Going with a lychee martini tonight.

1.5 vodka

1.5 lychee juice

0.5 lemon juice

0.5 apple juice 

place two lychees into shaker with lemon juice. Muddle. Fill ice with shaker, add remaining ingredients. Shake well.  Double strain into martini glass. Garnish with two lychees on a cocktail skewer and serve. 

-jb- said:
Going with a lychee martini tonight.

1.5 vodka

1.5 lychee juice

0.5 lemon juice

0.5 apple juice 

place two lychees into shaker with lemon juice. Muddle. Fill ice with shaker, add remaining ingredients. Shake well.  Double strain into martini glass. Garnish with two lychees on a cocktail skewer and serve. 
I keep wanting to try incorporating soursop juice into a cocktail

Great idea 
If you do it first let me know what you come up with. It’s on the shopping list for the next time my wife gets groceries so I’ll try to come up with something in the next couple of weeks. 

Been doing some jalapeno margaritas of late.  Jalapeno rich simple syrup in a normal 3-2-1 margarita with roughly 1 part syrup.  Maybe a little sweeter than my usual margarita because I don't usually add syrup, but the jalapeno adds a surprising amount of spice.

Been doing some jalapeno margaritas of late.  Jalapeno rich simple syrup in a normal 3-2-1 margarita with roughly 1 part syrup.  Maybe a little sweeter than my usual margarita because I don't usually add syrup, but the jalapeno adds a surprising amount of spice.
Big fan

I haven’t tried jalapeno simple syrup, but I will give that a try. I’m a fan of Tanteo Jalapeno Tequila in my margaritas, which may have similar effect.

Cooler weather here in Michigan, feeling like fall with school back and football starting. Making my Auturmn Old Fashioned:

Apple Cider Simple Syrup (just reduced apple cider)

A cranberry and mulled spices bitters

Apple wedge with some cinnamon as a garnish
With the weather cooling off everywhere we need some more Fall cocktails.  Hit me.

With the weather cooling off everywhere we need some more Fall cocktails.  Hit me.
It actually warmed back up again here and I’ll try to squeeze one more weekend of grilling and beer and sun out of 2020. But more fall cocktails will come. 

A favorite of mine is a Mixmosa. It’s just a mimosa with fresh apple cider instead of OJ. 

It actually warmed back up again here and I’ll try to squeeze one more weekend of grilling and beer and sun out of 2020. But more fall cocktails will come. 

A favorite of mine is a Mixmosa. It’s just a mimosa with fresh apple cider instead of OJ. 
Or the Cidermosa, which is hard apple cider with your sparkles. 

Amaretto Sour 

1.5 oz. Amaretto liqueur

.75 oz. Bourbon

.75 oz. fresh lemon juice

.5 oz. egg white (approximately - I use a little less)

1 teaspoon simple syrup

Pour the Amaretto, bourbon, simple syrup, lemon juice and egg white into a cocktail shaker and dry shake.  Fill shaker with cracked ice, shake and strain into a rocks glass filled with fresh ice.  Garnish with lemon peel and maraschino cherries.

Users who are viewing this thread