What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[Dynasty] 2014 Draft Prospects (2 Viewers)

MoveToSkypager said:
Brandin Cooks is underrated.

I've heard he could go on the second day. Whichever NFL team drafts him in the second round will get one hell of a deal.

Check out his reaction time at 7:35. http://draftbreakdown.com/video/brandin-cooks-vs-hawaii-utah-2013/

While not as fast, Cooks has comparable quickness to Tavon Austin. Also like Austin, some question his size. Whatever.

Unlike Austin, Cooks has some receiving ability - like running routes and catching.
Do you think GMs across the league are saying to themselves "What this team needs is the next Tavon Austin"?
Touche.

Upon reconsideration though, I believe Austin and Cooks don't compare favorably at all. The former has more physical gifts, while the latter has more receiving ability. Austin can juke people out of their shoes and run really fast; Cooks gets open and catches the ball.

I believe Marvin Harrison serves a better comparable to Cooks, although, again, with less physical gifts.

Cooks is tiny. He will come up with some contested grabs and he has very good speed, but I think that might keep him squarely in the 2nd round of the NFL draft.

MoveToSkypager said:
Brandin Cooks is underrated.

I've heard he could go on the second day. Whichever NFL team drafts him in the second round will get one hell of a deal.

Check out his reaction time at 7:35. http://draftbreakdown.com/video/brandin-cooks-vs-hawaii-utah-2013/

While not as fast, Cooks has comparable quickness to Tavon Austin. Also like Austin, some question his size. Whatever.

Unlike Austin, Cooks has some receiving ability - like running routes and catching.
Do you think GMs across the league are saying to themselves "What this team needs is the next Tavon Austin"?
Touche.

Upon reconsideration though, I believe Austin and Cooks don't compare favorably at all. The former has more physical gifts, while the latter has more receiving ability. Austin can juke people out of their shoes and run really fast; Cooks gets open and catches the ball.

I believe Marvin Harrison serves a better comparable to Cooks, although, again, with less physical gifts.
Austin had over 100 receptions his last season at West Virginia (same as Stedman Bailey, who indisputably can catch the ball - both had about 115?), so he was presumably getting open and catching the ball. Many Rams observers thought Austin was misused as a rookie by the OC (in fact, some in this thread). IMO he is just scratching the surface of his potential. It will be very interesting to see if they add the "stiff" Sammy Watkins, as he could create a lot of space for Austin. But adding OT Robinson or Matthews would be a plus for the offense as well. I think they are their three most likely draft picks with the higher first round pick, and if they played their cards right by maneuvering (down from 1.2 and up from 1.13), there is an outside shot they could end up with two from that short list group of three.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oregon State WR Brandin Cooks declares for 2014 NFL Draft

By Dan Greenspan

College Football 24/7 writer

Oregon State wide receiver Brandin Cooks will enter the 2014 NFL Draft on the heels of his record-setting junior season, making the announcement in a press release issued through the school.

Cooks (5-foot-10, 186 pounds) had 128 receptions for 1,730 yards, breaking the Pac-12 records in each category set by Marqise Lee of USC in 2012. Cooks, who caught 16 touchdowns, also won the Biletnikoff Award as the top receiver in the nation and earned numerous All-America honors, both feats accomplished by Lee the year before.

Essentially Cooks matched Lee in accolades and one-upped his production on the field. Whether Cooks can best Lee by going ahead of him in the draft -- provided Lee does forgo his senior season, as is widely expected -- could be one of the more intriguing plot points in the buildup to next May.

Both Cooks and Lee are electric with the ball in their hands and have largely run the same route tree in their respective pro-style offenses, but one NFC South scout told NFL Media analyst Bucky Brooks that Cooks' superior consistency in catching the ball gives him the edge over Lee.

However, Brooks told the College Football 24/7 podcast that Lee's explosiveness will ultimately set him apart from Cooks, while NFL Media analyst Charles Davis praised the dramatic improvements Lee made despite being limited by shoulder, knee and leg injuries this season.

The more likely result is that Cooks is drafted on Day Two and leads the second tier of wide receiver prospects, selected behind the likes of Lee, Sammy Watkins of Clemson and Mike Evans of Texas A&M. But Cooks has defied expectations before, nearly doubling his receptions and more than tripling his touchdown receptions from his fine sophomore season without Markus Wheaton on the other side to occupy defenses.

Cooks outproducing Lee, injuries or not, was one of this season's biggest surprises in college football. Now Cooks will try to do it again entering the NFL.

Follow Dan Greenspan on Twitter @DanGreenspan.
Cooks is small at 5'10" and 186 lbs. - but what he did this past year was amazing, and I think he will have a chance at becoming a respectable fantasy football asset. Not a WR 1 type, but a very consistent WR 2 - WR 3 player working from the slot.

Austin had over 100 receptions his last season at West Virginia (same as Stedman Bailey, who indisputably can catch the ball - both had about 115?), so he was presumably getting open and catching the ball.
I didn't intend to imply that Austin can't get open, only that Cooks does it better. The latter enters the draft as a much more polished product.

It will be very interesting to see if they add the "stiff" Sammy Watkins, as he could create a lot of space for Austin. But adding OT Robinson or Matthews would be a plus for the offense as well. I think they are their three most likely draft picks with the higher first round pick, and if they played their cards right by maneuvering (down from 1.2 and up from 1.13), there is an outside shot they could end up with two from that short list group of three.
They've invested a lot of high picks in the WR position with their last two drafts. Don't know if they go BPA or not, but they sure could use some help on the o-line.

Austin had over 100 receptions his last season at West Virginia (same as Stedman Bailey, who indisputably can catch the ball - both had about 115?), so he was presumably getting open and catching the ball.
I didn't intend to imply that Austin can't get open, only that Cooks does it better. The latter enters the draft as a much more polished product.

It will be very interesting to see if they add the "stiff" Sammy Watkins, as he could create a lot of space for Austin. But adding OT Robinson or Matthews would be a plus for the offense as well. I think they are their three most likely draft picks with the higher first round pick, and if they played their cards right by maneuvering (down from 1.2 and up from 1.13), there is an outside shot they could end up with two from that short list group of three.
They've invested a lot of high picks in the WR position with their last two drafts. Don't know if they go BPA or not, but they sure could use some help on the o-line.
I only brought it up because you noted they didn't compare favorably, and than stated Austin can run fast and juke, but Cooks can get open and catch, so I was unclear if you thought Austin could get open and catch, thanks for the clarification. I'm hopeful about his projection if he is used more effectively, but it is a concern that there isn't much to go on by way of precedent when it comes to recent NFL success at his size. Maybe the closest contemporary veteran frontline WRs by size are Steve Smith (about an inch taller and more than five lbs. heavier - though their games don't share much in common) and DeSean Jackson (about same weight though a few inches taller). As to high picks in the last two drafts, I get that a lot, I can see both sides of that observation/commentary. Bailey was a low third and Givens a high fourth, so IMO those aren't super high picks, top 100 yes, but not top 10 where Austin was drafted, and it is handy to have more than two good WRs (hi CAR and DET!). I am extremely high on Bailey (Hines Ward/Derrick Mason/Greg Jenning recombinant DNA love child) for different reasons than Austin, and like both quite a bit... but neither is a prototypical WR1. Watkins would fix that instantly. Givens I'm starting to think may be too one dimensional to be more than a situational WR3/WR4. Pettis (another third rounder) doesn't need to be on the team, he was just stealing reps from Bailey and Quick, and has already been passed on the depth chart by Bailey. Quick is admittedly a relatively high pick at 2.1, but if he was overdrafted (ahead of Jeffery and Randle that year), the bottom line is, maybe he shouldn't have been such a high pick, and not upgrading could be compounding the initial mistake. DET took FOUR top ten WRs in about a half decade (Austin was the only STL first round WR in close to 15 years, since Torry Holt), and while bungling the first three, they absolutely did the right thing drafting Calvin Johnson second overall.

Completely agree STL needs to add talent, youth and depth to the OL. In fact, I'm a proponent of not reading too much into Fisher's draft history on that score. Largely because in HOU/TEN he inherited Bruce Matthews and Mike Munchak, who played for a combined 30+ years with 20 All Pros between them.

I think you can make a compelling case Watkins or Robinson/Matthews would all help the team a lot. I'll be very happy if they get one or two of them, which is the great thing about having the 1.2 and 1.13, getting a WR doesn't preclude getting one or more OL later in the draft. If STL can somehow trade down with CLE and get another extra first from the only other team that has one, they could control the draft.

One other thing about using a high pick (top 5-10) on a WR like Watkins, following so closely on the heels of other (to varying degrees) high picks, there may be a perception that STL will keep on drafting other WRs for perpetuity. The whole selling point to recommend Watkins is that they would no longer need to take further half measures at the position, like raw project Quick and third/fourth rounders like Givens and Pettis. Starting Watkins, Austin, Bailey and Cook, with Givens and Quick rotated situationally as deep and red zone threats, respectively. No need for another WR for a while, barring injury.

I'm hopeful about his projection if he is used more effectively, but it is a concern that there isn't much to go on by way of precedent when it comes to recent NFL success at his size. Maybe the closest contemporary veteran frontline WRs by size are Steve Smith (about an inch taller and more than five lbs. heavier - though their games don't share much in common) and DeSean Jackson (about same weight though a few inches taller).
Steve Smith, Antonio Brown, DeSean Jackson, Julian Edelman, and Marvin Harrison (to name a few who come to mind) have succeeded with similar stature. It's prudent to at least try decipher why these small receivers performed well amid a crowd of extra large comrades - in an effort to figure out whether Cooks can as well. Following his dominant performance in 2013, in my opinion, it's at least worth inquiring whether Cooks has it in him to overcome his shortcoming in stature.

Needless to say, I'm hopeful about his projection as well. One thing I'm sure, he needs an anticipation passer.

Oregon State ranked 4th in the nation in pass attempts among all 123 FBS programs and they had no other viable options, so that's a big part of it right there. It's a lot easier to put up numbers when you're getting 50-100% more targets compared with some other receivers. I think Cooks is a decent player, but last year he was seen as a mid round talent. With Wheaton out of the picture, he put up monster stats. That might say as much about his expanded opportunity as it does about any improvements in his game. He obviously has the skills to make a team and contribute. Whether or not he's going to be a star is a lot more suspect.

Oregon State ranked 4th in the nation in pass attempts among all 123 FBS programs and they had no other viable options, so that's a big part of it right there. It's a lot easier to put up numbers when you're getting 50-100% more targets compared with some other receivers. I think Cooks is a decent player, but last year he was seen as a mid round talent. With Wheaton out of the picture, he put up monster stats. That might say as much about his expanded opportunity as it does about any improvements in his game. He obviously has the skills to make a team and contribute. Whether or not he's going to be a star is a lot more suspect.
Cooks had 10.6 yards per target, which is very good (and close to Watkins). If you adjust his numbers down based on the team's number of passing attempts, then his other stats (yards, TDs, long receptions) still wind up looking pretty similar to Watkins's.

There is no easy path to 1700 yards, so of course he played well. I'm just saying, the volume of opportunities was a big factor in his numbers. I mentioned it previously (maybe in this thread), but Ty Montgomery had 958 receiving yards in the same conference on a Stanford team that threw the ball just 311 times compared with 625 passing attempts for Oregon State. I don't hear people talking about what a dominant force Montgomery was.

Oregon State usually has 1-2 really good players surrounded by mediocrity and they're very good at getting production from those players. Productive receivers have been a staple of the Mike Riley era. We all know about Markus Wheaton. Before him they had Sammie Stroughter, Mike Hass, and James Newsom. All of those guys had at least one 1200+ yard receiving season. I think Hass may have even won the Biletnikoff like Cooks.

If you go and look at the Oregon State receiving records, all five of the career leaders are guys who played in the last ~10 years under Mike Riley (Hass, Newsom, Wheaton, Stroughter, and James Rodgers). Not one of those guys has really made a dent in the NFL thus far. Having said that, I think Cooks is more like Wheaton than Hass. IIRC he has legitimate track speed. Something like 10.4-10.5 in the 100m. So he's probably going to be a 4.3-4.4 guy at the combine. And while all of these guys were productive, he had the best individual season.

I'm not saying he's trash, but you can bet that Oregon State's stat-friendly offense padded his numbers.

Oregon State ranked 4th in the nation in pass attempts among all 123 FBS programs and they had no other viable options, so that's a big part of it right there. It's a lot easier to put up numbers when you're getting 50-100% more targets compared with some other receivers.
Cooks record breaking stats could mean he has butt loads of talent, in addition to what you said. The Detroit Lions lead the NFL in passing attempts in 2012, but they also only had one dude worthy of targets. That season, Calvin Johnson broke records as well. It just so happened that CJ has talent, and he played in a very stat-friendly situation.

You're right though, based solely on his college stats, and a little film study, clearly Cooks has the skills to contribute in the NFL. Superstar? Maybe not. But then again, nobody is a superstar before they get drafted.

Sounds a lot like Allen Robinson.

We like Cooks because he has Production AND skill. It's very shortsighted to compare a guy to those who went to same school.

To compare Cooks to Wheaton is pretty lazy. They are nothing alike as players.

We like Cooks because he has Production AND skill. It's very shortsighted to compare a guy to those who went to same school.

I wasn't comparing them as players. Only as draft commodities. Hass was a 6th round pick, so despite his production people obviously realized that he wasn't a good prospect. What I'm saying is that Cooks is more like Wheaton in the sense that he's a real NFL prospect who will go pretty high.

Oregon State ranked 4th in the nation in pass attempts among all 123 FBS programs and they had no other viable options, so that's a big part of it right there. It's a lot easier to put up numbers when you're getting 50-100% more targets compared with some other receivers.
Cooks record breaking stats could mean he has butt loads of talent, in addition to what you said. The Detroit Lions lead the NFL in passing attempts in 2012, but they also only had one dude worthy of targets. That season, Calvin Johnson broke records as well. It just so happened that CJ has talent, and he played in a very stat-friendly situation.
Yea, I get that. Just because a guy plays in a friendly system doesn't make him a "system player." Michael Crabtree is a great example.

However, a friendly system definitely helps with the stats. Were LaMichael James, De'Anthony Thomas, and Kenjon Barner really that good at Oregon, or was it the system inflating their stats? It was almost certainly a healthy amount of both. So even though they were decent prospects, their production probably needed a little * next to it.

Same deal with Cooks. Nice player. Stick him on Stanford or Washington and he probably doesn't sniff those stats. Just something to point out when people talk about what a dominant force he was. Circumstance was a big part of that.

Sometimes it makes sense to look at school/scheme tendencies, especially if there is continuity.

Alabama RBs have been questioned due to dominant OLs. That looks misplaced with Lacy, maybe not with some other RBs from there?

It can be a pretty blunt instrument when not wielded carefully. :)

However, a friendly system definitely helps with the stats. Were LaMichael James, De'Anthony Thomas, and Kenjon Barner really that good at Oregon, or was it the system inflating their stats? It was almost certainly a healthy amount of both. So even though they were decent prospects, their production probably needed a little * next to it
In addition, they ran in a system which doesn't project well to the NFL game.

Out of curiosity, how well does the Oregon St passing offense project to the big leagues?

Also, Allen Robinson is one of exactly two receivers in Penn State's history to have consecutive 1000+ yard seasons.

STATE COLLEGE, Pa. -- The debate's been raging in Happy Valley dorm rooms, tailgates and bars for the past few weeks: Is Allen Robinson the greatest Penn State receiver of all-time?receiver in Penn State history? Time will tell.One glance at the stats is all it takes to make a quick case for the junior. He broke NFL vet Bobby Engram's single-season school record for receiving yards (1,084) last week -- and he still has three games remaining. He's either at the top, or near the top, of every conceivable receiving category.
During his two years as a starter, Penn State ranked 44th and 51st in the NCAA in pass attempts. So they were hardly a prolific passing attack. And Robinson's stats actually went UP as the team's overall passing stats went DOWN. Penn State's passing totals by season:

2012 - 456 attempts, 3282 yards

2013 - 409 attempts, 3110 yards

Robinson's receiving stats by season:

2012 - 1018 (31% of team total)

2013 - 1432 (46% of team total)

On the flipside, Oregon State saw their passing attempts jump up from 504 in 2012 to 625 in 2013.

There's no reason to invoke Robinson's name in a discussion about system players. Penn State's system sucks for receivers. If anything, he's an example of a special talent transcending his surroundings. I'd guess that his statistical improvement has more to do with personal development than the presence of Hackenberg. Hackenberg did not put up monster stats despite his name cachet. Robinson is one of the youngest juniors in the country (he just turned 20 in August). Physical development and improvement from experience probably go a long way towards explaining his better 2013 numbers.

Who is "we"? Just curious....

Who is "we"? Just curious....
I think that he is just generally referring to "a few folks on this chat board".

However, a friendly system definitely helps with the stats. Were LaMichael James, De'Anthony Thomas, and Kenjon Barner really that good at Oregon, or was it the system inflating their stats? It was almost certainly a healthy amount of both. So even though they were decent prospects, their production probably needed a little * next to it
In addition, they ran in a system which doesn't project well to the NFL game.

Out of curiosity, how well does the Oregon St passing offense project to the big leagues?
Cooks was used all over the field at all depths and ran a variety of routes: http://secondroundstats.com/?p=515

49% of his receptions were past 10 yards and he still has an impressive 4.17% drop rate.

There is no easy path to 1700 yards, so of course he played well. I'm just saying, the volume of opportunities was a big factor in his numbers. I mentioned it previously (maybe in this thread), but Ty Montgomery had 958 receiving yards in the same conference on a Stanford team that threw the ball just 311 times compared with 625 passing attempts for Oregon State. I don't hear people talking about what a dominant force Montgomery was.

Oregon State usually has 1-2 really good players surrounded by mediocrity and they're very good at getting production from those players. Productive receivers have been a staple of the Mike Riley era. We all know about Markus Wheaton. Before him they had Sammie Stroughter, Mike Hass, and James Newsom. All of those guys had at least one 1200+ yard receiving season. I think Hass may have even won the Biletnikoff like Cooks.

If you go and look at the Oregon State receiving records, all five of the career leaders are guys who played in the last ~10 years under Mike Riley (Hass, Newsom, Wheaton, Stroughter, and James Rodgers). Not one of those guys has really made a dent in the NFL thus far. Having said that, I think Cooks is more like Wheaton than Hass. IIRC he has legitimate track speed. Something like 10.4-10.5 in the 100m. So he's probably going to be a 4.3-4.4 guy at the combine. And while all of these guys were productive, he had the best individual season.

I'm not saying he's trash, but you can bet that Oregon State's stat-friendly offense padded his numbers.
It depends which numbers you look at. There are some numbers which aren't much influenced by a team's number of passing attempts, and Cooks did quite well on those too. Yards per target, yards per target minus the team's yards per attempt, percent of his team's receiving yards, percent of his team's receiving touchdowns, percent of his team's 30+ yard receptions, yards after catch per reception, drop rate. Cooks's 2013 was better than Wheaton's 2012 on pretty much all of those, and comparable to Watkins's 2013.

With many of these numbers, passing more actually hurts a receiver. If a team runs most of the time but occasionally passes to Demaryius Thomas, then the defense can't sell out to stop him. If a team mostly passes and tries to rely on one receiver, defenses can focus on stopping that one receiver. But Cooks's rate stats still hold up pretty well against the other receivers who are being talked about as 1st or 2nd rounders.

Ty Montgomery is in the same neighborhood as Cooks on many of those stats, but not quite as good on the whole (with his main flaw being the lack of long receptions; also I don't have data for him on yards after catch or drop rate).

Jeremiah: 10 underclassmen WRs could go in first two roundsBy Dan Greenspan

College Football 24/7 writer

For all the hand-wringing about the number of underclassmen who entered the 2014 NFL Draft, those teams in need of a wide receiver will not be complaining. NFL Draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah believes early-entrant wide receivers could account for up to 15 percent of the players selected in the first two rounds.

"When you talk about the underclassmen, that's where the guts of this draft is. Last year was more senior-heavy. This year we're talking about 9-10 underclass wide receivers that are first, second-round players in my opinion," Jeremiah told "Super Bowl Live" on NFL.com on Thursday.

Jeremiah has a staggering seven wide receivers in his first most draft, a tally that includes Sammy Watkins of Clemson, Mike Evans of Texas A&M, Kelvin Benjamin of Florida State, Marqise Lee of USC, Paul Richardson of Colorado, Jarvis Landry of LSU and Davante Adams of Fresno State.

Others who could draw similar top marks include Oregon State's Brandin Cooks, Penn State's Allen Robinson and LSU's Odell Beckham Jr.

If Jeremiah's mock draft turns out to be on the money, the 2014 draft would have the most wide receivers selected in the first round since 2004, when seven came off the board within the first 32 picks.

A total of seven wide receivers were taken in the first round of the 2012-13 drafts combined.

With the quarterback and offensive tackle positions similarly bolstered by players who still had eligibility remaining, it is going to take a similar influx from the ranks of the underclassmen to stock the 2015 draft.

Follow Dan Greenspan on Twitter @DanGreenspan.

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Charles Davis lists USC WR Marqise Lee as a Top-5 pick in his most recent mock draft.
Davis has Lee going No. 5 to the Raiders, making him the only NFL.com writer out of four to predict a WR outside of Clemson's Sammy Watkins as the first taken. Watkins dropped to the Rams at No. 13 in Davis' mock, three spots ahead of Texas A&M's Mike Evans.

Source: NFL.com

ZWK said:
It depends which numbers you look at. There are some numbers which aren't much influenced by a team's number of passing attempts, and Cooks did quite well on those too. Yards per target, yards per target minus the team's yards per attempt, percent of his team's receiving yards, percent of his team's receiving touchdowns, percent of his team's 30+ yard receptions, yards after catch per reception, drop rate. Cooks's 2013 was better than Wheaton's 2012 on pretty much all of those, and comparable to Watkins's 2013.
Where do you find these stats?

ZWK said:
Greg Peshek for drop rate and yards after catch, Bill Connelly for yards per target, and the long receptions and team-relative stats I calculate from data on cfbstats.com (which I can do relatively quickly for many players at once by copy-and-pasting tables into an excel spreadsheet & then using vlookup and other formulas).

I could share my spreadsheet of stats for this year's WR class, but I'll need to do a bit of reformatting first.

Rotoworld:

Scouts Inc.'s Kevin Weidl writes South Carolina WR Bruce Ellington has jumped out on tape during the postseason evaluation process.

"The first thing that pops out is his 'play speed.' Ellington is a quick starter who gets from zero to 60 mph in a hurry to stretch the field vertically, and he flashes an explosive burst out of his cuts while maintaining quality balance," Weidl writes, adding the receiver's frame is more similar to a running back's. bruce is Andre Ellington's cousin.

Source: ESPN

ZWK said:
Greg Peshek for drop rate and yards after catch, Bill Connelly for yards per target, and the long receptions and team-relative stats I calculate from data on cfbstats.com (which I can do relatively quickly for many players at once by copy-and-pasting tables into an excel spreadsheet & then using vlookup and other formulas).

I could share my spreadsheet of stats for this year's WR class, but I'll need to do a bit of reformatting first.
I'd love to check out your work.

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Gil Brandt considers UCF's Blake Bortles the No. 2 QB in this class behind Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel.

Brandt adds he believes Bortles is a top-10 pick and "looks like Big Ben in body, Leinart in (the) face." We are not sure where Teddy Bridgewater lands for Brandt. The Texans, who seem destined to take a quarterback, will consider all three options at No. 1.

Source: Gil Brandt on Twitter

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Gil Brandt considers UCF's Blake Bortles the No. 2 QB in this class behind Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel.

Brandt adds he believes Bortles is a top-10 pick and "looks like Big Ben in body, Leinart in (the) face." We are not sure where Teddy Bridgewater lands for Brandt. The Texans, who seem destined to take a quarterback, will consider all three options at No. 1.

Source: Gil Brandt on Twitter
When the godfather speaks, I listen. I remember Brandt was one of the few talking heads on Sirius that firmly believed Cam was a top QB prospect when he came out.

Kelvin Benjamin v. Mike Evans?

Didn't Evans just begin playing football two years ago? Despite his lacking in experience, he still runs better routes than Benjamin.

Plus Evans has much more reliable hands. They both can win contested balls, but Benjamin drops a lot of easy ones.

cloppbeast said:

Didn't Evans just begin playing football two years ago? Despite his lacking in experience, he still runs better routes than Benjamin.

Plus Evans has much more reliable hands. They both can win contested balls, but Benjamin drops a lot of easy ones.
I think three years, starting his senior year in high school, and two years at A&M. I think he played basketball before that. He could have a lot of upside on that basis once he learns the ropes of the position.

cloppbeast said:

I think three years, starting his senior year in high school, and two years at A&M. I think he played basketball before that. He could have a lot of upside on that basis once he learns the ropes of the position.
Three years ago sounds right. I was watching the Indiana/Nebraska game and they mentioned how Tim Miles tried recruiting Mike Evans when he was still at Colorado St.

:goodposting:
Here is my data spreadsheet with the 2013 receiving stats for this draft class's WR prospects (along with a bunch of other WRs). It should include all the numbers needed for something like my Benjamin vs. Beckham vs. Evans comparison, including yards per target, yards per target minus team yards per attempt, yards per team pass attempt, percent of team's offensive touchdowns, and number of 40+ yard receptions. Yards per target currently does not include bowl games, and drop rate & yards after catch are only available for the receivers that Greg Peshek has charted.

The next-to-last column, which I'm calling "production score" is basically an attempt to combine all of the other numbers into a single number representing a player's 2013 production. It is something like a weighted average of the other numbers, though the formula is a bit more complicated than that. It's similar to the score that I calculated in this thread about last year's receiving class (unfortunately, all of the tables in that thread have gotten messed up).

The data is sorted by the last column, overall rating. It is calculated by a formula which combines this year's production score with previous years' production scores, height, weight, and estimated 40 time.

I do something similar with RBs (as I described last year in this thread), but I don't have that data ready to share at this point.

Here is my data spreadsheet with the 2013 receiving stats for this draft class's WR prospects (along with a bunch of other WRs). It should include all the numbers needed for something like my Benjamin vs. Beckham vs. Evans comparison, including yards per target, yards per target minus team yards per attempt, yards per team pass attempt, percent of team's offensive touchdowns, and number of 40+ yard receptions. Yards per target currently does not include bowl games, and drop rate & yards after catch are only available for the receivers that Greg Peshek has charted.

The next-to-last column, which I'm calling "production score" is basically an attempt to combine all of the other numbers into a single number representing a player's 2013 production. It is something like a weighted average of the other numbers, though the formula is a bit more complicated than that. It's similar to the score that I calculated in this thread about last year's receiving class (unfortunately, all of the tables in that thread have gotten messed up).

The data is sorted by the last column, overall rating. It is calculated by a formula which combines this year's production score with previous years' production scores, height, weight, and estimated 40 time.

I do something similar with RBs (as I described last year in this thread), but I don't have that data ready to share at this point.
Did you think about using 25+ and 40+ per reception or per target instead of per game?

Did you think about using 25+ and 40+ per reception or per target instead of per game?
I'm generally not a fan of using per target or per reception numbers for receivers, because getting the ball is a sign of a good play. An 8-yard reception is (typically) not a bad play, and it doesn't make sense to count it against a receiver. A versatile receiver who can be a chain-mover on short passing plays, as well as dangerous down the field, is more valuable (both for NFL & for fantasy) than someone who is just a deep threat. Greg Peshek has published some data on the types & depth of routes that prospects run, and my guess is that the strongest predictors there of NFL success are route diversity (running at least some of each type of route), running an above average number of deep routes (more is probably better up to a certain point), and running an above average number of screens.

Using 25+ per reception (or per target) would favor relatively one-dimensional receivers who mostly run deep routes.

Per target or per reception numbers do contain some information about efficiency that isn't captured in per game numbers, so I do include yards per target. And yards after the catch per reception is another exception where it clearly makes sense to use the per reception numbers since YAC/rec does a good job of isolating one part of a receiver's game (it's the before-catch stuff where just getting the ball is a large sign of success). If a player manages to get a high 25+ per target by catching short passes & running after the catch, then that ability will show up in his YAC/rec.

Rotoworld:

Scouts Inc.'s Steve Muench does not believe Utah TE Jake Murphy's abilities match up with his YPC average.
Murphy is a "big target (and) makes plays over middle," Muench tweeted, adding he is "not as much of homerun threat as YPC suggests." For the record, Murphy's yards per catch average for the 2013 season was 16.7. Murphy somewhat surprisingly declared for the draft before the deadline and should be a third day selection.

Source: Steve Muench on Twitter

First of all, thanks for sharing your hard work with us. :hifive:

My guess is that the strongest predictors there of NFL success are route diversity (running at least some of each type of route), running an above average number of deep routes (more is probably better up to a certain point), and running an above average number of screens.
I'm curious to know why you think more deep routes and screens is a good thing, especially the latter. Personally, I like to see a receiver earn separation versus man coverage, because it's probably the most accurate sign of success in the NFL. A screen pass doesn't require much skill for a receiver to get open.

I would prefer more short and intermediate stuff because NFL teams will probably require more of these types of routes. Although scheme has a lot to do with it also.

On screen passes, my speculation is that teams are simply trying to get the ball into. A talented players hands on relative simple quick play

First of all, thanks for sharing your hard work with us. :hifive:

My guess is that the strongest predictors there of NFL success are route diversity (running at least some of each type of route), running an above average number of deep routes (more is probably better up to a certain point), and running an above average number of screens.
I'm curious to know why you think more deep routes and screens is a good thing, especially the latter. Personally, I like to see a receiver earn separation versus man coverage, because it's probably the most accurate sign of success in the NFL. A screen pass doesn't require much skill for a receiver to get open.

I would prefer more short and intermediate stuff because NFL teams will probably require more of these types of routes. Although scheme has a lot to do with it also.
With deep vs. short catches, my guess is that deep catches are a better sign of route running ability, since they require beating the secondary rather than just taking what the defense gives you. And even though most NFL passes are short to intermediate, most of the top receivers are guys who are capable of going deep.

Screens are nice because they do a pretty good job of isolating one of the important abilities of a receiver, which is to be dangerous with the ball in your hands. If a receiver catches an above average number of screens, that's a sign that his college team sees him as a weapon and wants to get the ball into his hands. And if he has a good YPR on those passes, and a good YAC overall, that's a sign that they're right to want to get the ball into his hands.

That does not mean that I want to see receivers who catch tons and tons of screens & deep balls and nothing else. Note that the first item in my list is route diversity. Catching the ball on a bunch of different types of routes is probably the strongest evidence for route running ability (separate from other receiving abilities) that is available in these numbers.

What makes Cooks great is his ability to high point passes, that's the difference between an average smaller wr and a guy like Antonio Brown. I have no doubts about Cooks play making ability translating, only concern is his ability to bounce back after big hits and stay healthy - standard concern with little receivers. One of the reasons I loved Tavon Austin the prospect, tough sob that maintains a high level of play despite a heavy workload.

What makes Cooks great is his ability to high point passes, that's the difference between an average smaller wr and a guy like Antonio Brown. I have no doubts about Cooks play making ability translating, only concern is his ability to bounce back after big hits and stay healthy - standard concern with little receivers. One of the reasons I loved Tavon Austin the prospect, tough sob that maintains a high level of play despite a heavy workload.
Cooks is listed at 5'10" and 186 lbs.

Wes Welker is listed at 5'9" and 185 lbs.

I am not suggesting that Cooks will turn out to have anywhere near the career output that Welker has had, but he certainly has the potential to carve out a productive role in the NFL.

Welker is a tough sob that takes a beating and it does not negatively impact his play. That's rare. And unfair to project into any prospect.

Cooks, like every small guy, will need an accurate QB. Welker wasn't Welker until he was paired with Brady. Tavon Austin is nothing right now because he is paired with nothing. Look at a guy like Gordon. 6'3", 225 with pure trash at QB and he dominated. Put any of these guys with that crew of QBs and they put up #'s no where near Gordon. This is the #1 reason I let other guys take guys under 6'.

One guy I had under 6' tall: Greg Jennings. With Favre, Rodgers, a stud. Without, worthless. Cut him one week into the season last year.

cloppbeast said:

If you use Auburn D(Auburn fan here) as a gauge - I would say Evans - he was a nearly unstoppable beast against Auburn while Benjamin didn't do a whole lot against Auburn

Welker is a tough sob that takes a beating and it does not negatively impact his play. That's rare. And unfair to project into any prospect.
I don't see Welker take too much of a beating. He seems to avoid big hits, for the most part by playing wisely. Choosing to give himself up or go out of bounds rather than take an unnecessary lick. Marvin Harrison played the same way. Maybe Michael Vick would have had a more successful career if he would have also.

To bring this back to relevance, like Welker, I think Cooks plays with regard for his body. I may trust him to hold up more than larger players like Demarco Murray.

I think the hardest routes to run are those that require the greatest change in momentum. A streak/fly route is a "deep" route, but it's also an incredibly simple route since you're just running in a straight line. Something like a comeback that requires a quick 180 change in momentum would say more about fluidity/route running ability. I think the better route runners are the guys who can separate out of their breaks on comebacks/outs/square ins/etc. Not the guys who can blow past someone on a streak or a post (though that obviously has value as well).

If I were to compare a good route runner like Marqise Lee with a bad route runner like Jon Baldwin, I'd say that flexibility and explosiveness within short areas is the main advantage that Lee has. He can always create a little bit of space for himself with his first-step quickness. There are a lot of ways to skin a cat and you don't necessarily need that skill if you're very exceptional in some other way, but in general I'd say that's probably the single most important trait for a WR prospect in isolation. Whether it's a little guy like Antonio Brown, a "slow" guy like Anquan Boldin or Keenan Allen, or a size/speed monster like Vincent Jackson, the majority of legitimate NFL receivers have this ability.

Without being too familiar with the advanced stats, my hunch is that if you could find this anywhere in the numbers, it would probably show up with success on short/intermediate routes and possibly YAC. I don't think it would show up too much on deep routes, though those would say things about speed and jump ball skills.

Users who are viewing this thread