What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh (3 Viewers)

BS ruling imo.  I guess the morale of the story is if you're not sure how to spell the first name, just put the last.
I think the "moral" (I rule to accept your spelling 😉) is that even if you are sure how to spell the first name, still only put the last. I'm sure she was confident that was his name, like many other people that have only heard his name (and not seen it spelled). Not putting the first name introduces 0 risk. Putting the first name introduces >0 risk.

The "last name only" usually works, as long as it is not too common a name or has another famous person associated with it.

Does anyone else remember (I think Season 1) when a president question was answered only as "Roosevelt" and it was declared incorrect? (and rightfully so)

Maybe first initial + last name (B Gordy) is the safest method?

The beginning of today's episode was preempted for Breonna Taylor news.  Did they mention any reason for Dana ditching her glasses?  It seemed on her previous shows they were fogging up during the first round.  Are the contestants kept in some super dry room and the studio is super humid?  Can't see why glasses would be that foggy.  Are they wearing masks until the producer counts down to start the show now?

Is there an unwritten, or written, rule about being too vocal?  Last week Kelley, to me, was just a little too over the top with her reactions, to the point she was "ah shucks" after a wrong answer when the next person was trying to answer.  Seems like that could throw somebody off.  Can't remember someone who was so demonstrative with their reaction.

The beginning of today's episode was preempted for Breonna Taylor news.  Did they mention any reason for Dana ditching her glasses?  It seemed on her previous shows they were fogging up during the first round.  Are the contestants kept in some super dry room and the studio is super humid?  Can't see why glasses would be that foggy.  Are they wearing masks until the producer counts down to start the show now?

Is there an unwritten, or written, rule about being too vocal?  Last week Kelley, to me, was just a little too over the top with her reactions, to the point she was "ah shucks" after a wrong answer when the next person was trying to answer.  Seems like that could throw somebody off.  Can't remember someone who was so demonstrative with their reaction.
Maybe she was a bit more awake and able to use her contacts.  Or maybe she just wanted a different look.

I hardly ever root against someone, but the annoying girl had to go.

Last week Kelley, to me, was just a little too over the top with her reactions, to the point she was "ah shucks" after a wrong answer when the next person was trying to answer.  Seems like that could throw somebody off.  Can't remember someone who was so demonstrative with their reaction.
She was the most annoying contestant I can remember in a long while. At one point I turned to my wife and said, if the Survivor and Big Brother recruiters are watching, they'll give her a call. She'll create a bunch of TV drama by annoying the hell out of people. 

Why did they have remedial contestants on today?  That was embarrassing.
My theory is that they're still in the first set of shows filmed after the pandemic hit and it was tough finding contestants who could travel.  It's been a couple very bad weeks from both knowledge and wagering aspects.  No reason for the guy to go all in on the last question of Double Jeopardy when a smaller bet would have gotten him over the "runaway" hurdle just as well.  Similarly, the other day, the woman in 2nd place (who was already over that hurdle) missed the last question in DJ to drop her below the line. Sure enough, she got FJ right and 1st place missed it, but she didn't have enough money to catch him.

My theory is that they're still in the first set of shows filmed after the pandemic hit and it was tough finding contestants who could travel.  It's been a couple very bad weeks from both knowledge and wagering aspects.  No reason for the guy to go all in on the last question of Double Jeopardy when a smaller bet would have gotten him over the "runaway" hurdle just as well.  Similarly, the other day, the woman in 2nd place (who was already over that hurdle) missed the last question in DJ to drop her below the line. Sure enough, she got FJ right and 1st place missed it, but she didn't have enough money to catch him.
I don't think they have had a contestant from outside California yet.  Lately they have been introducing some as "Originally from _____" instead of having every person from a California city.

It does sound like what is going on.  I would have thought there would be a large enough population to draw on.

Mrs. Rannous said:
It does sound like what is going on.  I would have thought there would be a large enough population to draw on.
I’ve been discussing this with my wife. Clearly they’re only using people who don’t need to get on a plane or stay in a hotel. 

I suspect they always have a pretty deep pool of SoCal people at the ready because sometimes they need a last minute replacement in the two-week pool* if someone they’ve brought in all of the sudden no longer meets the eligibility requirements. They’re obviously starting to exhaust it. 

* - as you may know, they tape 10 shows per week, 5 each day for 2 days. Thus in normal times, each week they bring in enough people to film 10 episodes.

Has there ever been a situation where no one can play final?  If so do they still do the question?  🤔
I don't believe so. There have been at least two games in which everyone finished with $0 after Final Jeopardy. In which case they are all done and the next game has three new contestants. 

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6843

Alex hit the Daily Double in "The Cubists" on the last question of the round on #26. He knew at question #23 (Medical History for $1200) there was a minute left, so this was going to be the last question.

The score before the DD wager was Kevin: $14,400, Alex: $5900, Natt: -$400.

So Natt was out of it. Alex had below $7200, so, he was out of it too if he didn't get the question right, because Kevin was going to have a "lock game" (could wager $0 in FJ and not get caught up to) with the scores they way they were.

So, Alex. had to wager at least $1300 on The Cubists.

At that point, what's the difference in saving anything? Why not make it a true Daily Double?

If he wagers $1300 to everything, and gets the question right, he ends up with 7200-11800, Kevin has 14400, and, Alex needs to get FJ right, and Kevin needs to miss it, for Alex to have any shot.

But if he gets the question wrong, no matter what he wagers, it's game over anyway. If he wagers $0 to say $3000 on the DD and gets it wrong... he goes into FJ down 14400 to 5900-to-2900. He has to stand there through FJ looking like an idiot in a game that won't matter. Did it really make a difference if he's actually there or not? He's locked into second place.

Basically... a wrong answer on the DD leads to the same result no matter what the wager is. So he had to get the question right. Knowing that... might as well get as much cash as you can, because you're banking on putting pressure on Kevin to get his FJ wrong and then you win more money at the end of the day.

Knowing that he had the question all to himself, and, that he knew what the category even was... not knowing what subject might come up in FJ... he has to bank on getting it right and in that case, might as well bet it all. No point in saving anything in reserve "in case you're wrong" because it's of no use in FJ. 

The error Alex did make was in picking the question to begin with.. having gotten question #23 right, then missing on #24 for $1600 and #25 for $2000, if he had done the math quickly enough, he would have realized he needed a question of high value to get back to the $7200 halfway point. He should have picked Cubists for $1600 or $2000. He was lucky it was a DD--had it been just a regular $1200 clue, it would have been awful: he could have answered correctly, the buzzer would have sounded, and he would have ended the round $100 short of forcing FJ to matter. 

Didn't the big 3 (Jennings, Rutter, Holzhauer) just sign on to host a different trivia show on ABC like last week?

Didn't the big 3 (Jennings, Rutter, Holzhauer) just sign on to host a different trivia show on ABC like last week?
They signed on to do "The Chase" which will air on ABC. Reboot of the show Holzhauer was on that aired on the Game Show Network.

Link

Last edited by a moderator:
Jennings could probably do both if it came down to it. Jeopardy just has two filming days every two weeks (tape five episodes each of those days). They could probably figure out a way to make it work.

ABC News will air a one-hour primetime special tonight on the life and legacy of Alex Trebek, the iconic television host of “Jeopardy!” who died earlier today.

Alex Trebek, Remembered: A ‘20/20’ Special hosted by ABC News’ Chris Connelly airs tonight at10 PM on the ABC Television Network.

In interviews over the past year with Good Morning America co-anchor Michael Strahan and GMA3: What You Need To Know” Co-anchor T.J. Holmes, Trebek spoke candidly about living with cancer and the lessons he learned. He also talked about what he hoped his last days would be like and how grateful he was that he had a chance to discover all the love his viewers held for him as he confronted stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

Link

Jennings could probably do both if it came down to it. Jeopardy just has two filming days every two weeks (tape five episodes each of those days). They could probably figure out a way to make it work.
Jeopardy! has (or had) one of the longest shooting schedules.  That's how Alex was able to build up a record in the Guiness Book.  Sajak could never catch up to that while Alex was still going.

I suspect they've been training Ken for the last while.  He was supposed to read clues, but I figure he was shadowing Alex.

I am so sad about Trebek’s passing.  I was 10 when he started hosting Jeopardy!   So many memories.  RIP Alex.   :sadbanana: :(

I watched most of the 20/20 special on him last night.  He just seemed like a genuinely good dude with a great sense of humor and wonderful perspective on life.  Very generous man and kind to everyone he met.  RIP to a legend.

ive heard Levar Burton's name a few times now as a potential host.  which is interesting.

https://trekmovie.com/2020/11/14/levar-burton-expresses-appreciates-fans-suggesting-him-as-new-host-of-jeopardy/

Oddsmakers put Burton in the top 5 to replace Trebek

Burton’s name is just one being bandied about as a possible new host for Jeopardy!  Former mega-champion Ken Jennings is considered the odds-on favorite for the job. He recently joined the show as a consulting producer and it has been reported that he was Trebek’s choice as a replacement.

Betting sites are paying even money for Jennings, but Burton is considered third most likely, paying 9-1 odds. Burton’s odds rank him third, behind Good Morning America co-host George Stephanopoulos, but ahead of scientist and Cosmos host Neil deGrasse Tyson and Wheel of Fortune host Pat Sajak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh. I never would have thought of him but I think Burton could be really good at it. Not sure I'm a fan of Ken.

Users who are viewing this thread