What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (7 Viewers)

Rob Gronkowski - TE - Patriots
Rob Gronkowski (ACL/MCL) has been cleared by doctors and is not being placed on active/PUP.
Considering Gronkowski is just 7 1/2 months removed from blowing his knee out, this qualifies as an impressive rehab. Avoiding the active/PUP list means that Gronk will not be eligible for the reserve/PUP list to start the season, which would have cost him the first six regular season games. He'll likely be coddled a bit at camp, but this news puts him squarely on track for Week 1 and his fantasy ADP should skyrocket accordingly. Gronk's 16-game pace last season was 89-1,353-9, and he's scored 42 touchdowns in 50 career NFL games.

Jul 23 - 8:58 AM

If he's healthy he will be SOD.... but the unlikelihood of that being the case will be priced in.

IMO with this news... worth taking a shot in the 3rd. If news improves he might hit 2nd round in late drafts. Tall price but could win some leagues for folks even at that price.

If he's healthy he will be SOD.... but the unlikelihood of that being the case will be priced in.

IMO with this news... worth taking a shot in the 3rd. If news improves he might hit 2nd round in late drafts. Tall price but could win some leagues for folks even at that price.
Late first, early second round in late August drafts. Guaranteed.

Eesh thats just such a high price to pay after the series of injuries he's had... especially this soon after the knee. I will be surprised if he hits the first in competitive leagues unless the news is fantastic out of camp.

Eesh thats just such a high price to pay after the series of injuries he's had... especially this soon after the knee. I will be surprised if he hits the first in competitive leagues unless the news is fantastic out of camp.
He was going in the late second before this blurb.

42 TDs in 50 career games. There's always someone willing to take the risk.

In the interest of accuracy, 43. That one extra TD may convince someone to draft him that might not have. LOL.

I can get that he should be discounted in redraft, but some of the variances in dynasty/keeper is way too much.

This might be stupid, but despite all the other issues I was never worried about Gronk recovering, and recovering quickly, from an ACL.

He just turned 25. He plays a decidedly "catch the ball and plow straight forward" type of game. I never thought he wouldn't be ready for week 1.

Three months ago I traded Julius Thomas and Sammy Watkins for Gronk and a bunch of picks in a TE premium league just salivating for those 30 point weeks.

In the interest of accuracy, 43. That one extra TD may convince someone to draft him that might not have. LOL.
I missed that rushing TD, didn't I?

This might be stupid, but despite all the other issues I was never worried about Gronk recovering, and recovering quickly, from an ACL.

He just turned 25. He plays a decidedly "catch the ball and plow straight forward" type of game. I never thought he wouldn't be ready for week 1.

Three months ago I traded Julius Thomas and Sammy Watkins for Gronk and a bunch of picks in a TE premium league just salivating for those 30 point weeks.
Unless they were high picks, I like the other side.

Unless they were high picks, I like the other side.
Most did at the time. Many still would. I'm always willing to overpay for the stud in the deal, and Gronk is a top-5 player in this format for me.

I don't want to get too far into it in this thread, but I already had 4 WR's better than Watkins, I am stacked at WR, and since then have also added Evans. Basically I then bundled up all the picks from the Gronk trade and some I already had and traded them all for Ball to fill my RB hole. So that trade netted me Gronk and also the pieces I needed to get Ball from a rebuilding owner. Even if I could have gotten him with Watkins, I'd rather have Gronk + Ball than Julius + Ball.

Rotoworld:

Rob Gronkowski (ACL/MCL) is sporting both a brace on his surgically-repaired knee, and a protective sleeve over his surgically-repaired arm.
Despite avoiding the PUP list, Gronk has been limited to individual drills thus far in camp, and is expected to be brought along slowly. However, ESPN Boston's Mike Reiss observed Thursday that Gronk does not seem "reluctant running, cutting and planting." The injury concern with Gronk is self-evident at this point, but the monster upside remains.

Source: ESPN Boston

Rotoworld:

Rob Gronkowski told reporters Friday he will not change his playing style due to past injuries.

Gronk has missed 14 games over the past two seasons, but Gronk wouldn't be Gronk if he didn't go all out. "I'm gonna keep smashing and dashing in everything I do," he assured, followed by a smiling giggle. "Haha." Amid numerous injuries, Gronkowski has scored 33 touchdowns over his last 34 games.

What do you suppose the chances are he sees the field in the pre season? I, like many, have a bunch of drafts on Aug 23/24, the Patriot's 3rd pre season game is Aug 22.

What do you suppose the chances are he sees the field in the pre season? I, like many, have a bunch of drafts on Aug 23/24, the Patriot's 3rd pre season game is Aug 22.
I'm sure he'll be limited, but if we're really looking at a week 1 timetable, I suspect we'll see at least a little bit of Gronk during the preseason.

NE - TE Rob Gronkowski will not change play

Source: ESPNBoston.com - Mike Reiss

New England Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski (knee) said he will not change the way he plays even though he has dealt with forearm and knee injuries in the past few years.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Gronk is a top-3 tight end for fantasy owners. He's no more injury prone than guys like Julius Thomas (Broncos) or Jordan Cameron (Browns). Draft him with confidence because he can dominate week in and week out.

This completely baffles me. How can you say that you can draft Gronk with confidence? He's coming off of an ACL and MCL tear. The tear was less than eight months ago. Granted, recovery times have decreased in some cases, but still it used to take a year to recover. The prior year he fractured his forearm twice. He has had back problems since college, and amongst other things he's battled groin issues and he has had at least one concussion. He's missed 14 games in the last two years. Gronk's upside is undeniable, but to say you can draft him with confidence, with his injury history, is ridiculous.

NE - TE Rob Gronkowski will not change play

Source: ESPNBoston.com - Mike Reiss

New England Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski (knee) said he will not change the way he plays even though he has dealt with forearm and knee injuries in the past few years.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Gronk is a top-3 tight end for fantasy owners. He's no more injury prone than guys like Julius Thomas (Broncos) or Jordan Cameron (Browns). Draft him with confidence because he can dominate week in and week out.

This completely baffles me. How can you say that you can draft Gronk with confidence? He's coming off of an ACL and MCL tear. The tear was less than eight months ago. Granted, recovery times have decreased in some cases, but still it used to take a year to recover. The prior year he fractured his forearm twice. He has had back problems since college, and amongst other things he's battled groin issues and he has had at least one concussion. He's missed 14 games in the last two years. Gronk's upside is undeniable, but to say you can draft him with confidence, with his injury history, is ridiculous.
What top TEs don't have major injury issues, though? Jimmy Graham? He tore his Plantar Fascia last year and played 2012 through a major wrist injury that required offseason surgery. Both injuries had a serious impact on his production. Julius Thomas? He basically lost two entire seasons to a foot injury he suffered his rookie year and missed two games to a knee injury last year; he's missed more games in his career than Rob Gronkowski despite playing one fewer season. Jordan Cameron? For two straight years he's sat out games in December with a serious concussion. Jordan Reed's own concussion concerns are well documented. Vernon Davis has been healthy, but he's also been spectacularly unproductive in games where Michael Crabtree played. Witten has been a rock, but he's also finished just 6th, 5th, and 6th in non-PPR over the last three seasons (despite playing in every game).

I'll be a lot more confident about Gronkowski once I see him dominating at his usual level again- you're absolutely right that a lot of players who come back from ACL tears on an abbreviated schedule are not at full strength in their first season back (see: Tom Brady, Wes Welker, Heath Miller, Rashard Mendenhall, etc). But every potential top TE has health issues except for Vernon and Witten, who both have non-health-related issues of their own.

Adam Harstad said:
But every potential top TE has health issues except for Vernon and Witten, who both have non-health-related issues of their own.
Didn't Witten almost die last year and have to sign a waiver to keep playing?

Adam Harstad said:
But every potential top TE has health issues except for Vernon and Witten, who both have non-health-related issues of their own.
2 years ago, but yes. Lacerated spleen. Was quite the nice value in TE premium that year.

Adam Harstad said:
2 years ago, but yes. Lacerated spleen. Was quite the nice value in TE premium that year.
Witten is a legitimate bad-### tough guy.

Gronk is not.

Or you might just say that Gronk takes his health a little more seriously. Different priorities perhaps.

I'll take Gronk in the late second, if he's there, in my main leagues (2nd, 3rd pick) if he is playing at even 12/-3/4 speed in pre season week 3

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam Harstad said:
Witten is a legitimate bad-### tough guy.Gronk is not.

Or you might just say that Gronk takes his health a little more seriously. Different priorities perhaps.

I'll take Gronk in the late second, if he's there, in my main leagues (2nd, 3rd pick) if he is playing at even 12/-3/4 speed in pre season week 3
Linehan offenses are not really Te friendly though.

Adam Harstad said:
Witten is a legitimate bad-### tough guy.Gronk is not.

I know right. That wuss Grink should have played through that broken arm and torn ACL. What a punk.

Linehan offenses are not really Te friendly though.
On the one hand, I think evaluating a coordinator's past offensive tendencies is very useful for predicting what he'll do going forward.

On the other hand, I think past tendencies only get you so far, because the players executing those schemes are completely different. Linehan has historically not used his TEs very much. Linehan has historically not coached a TE as good as Jason Witten, who has the most receptions of any player at any position in history through age 31. I suspect that we'll see Dallas using its TE more than Linehan's history might suggest.

Adrian Peterson aside, a torn ACL is still and always will be a SERIOUS injury especially for a tall and heavy athlete. Gronk with knee and arm braces in the 2nd round?!! Who is seriously risking their entire draft on this? LOL

Adrian Peterson aside, a torn ACL is still and always will be a SERIOUS injury especially for a tall and heavy athlete. Gronk with knee and arm braces in the 2nd round?!! Who is seriously risking their entire draft on this? LOL
Gotta take chances to win my friend. Only one team takes the title. Maybe 2nd round is too early but depending on where in the 2nd and how he looks in the preseason, and other factors such as league rules, # of teams, etc, it doesn't seem that crazy.

He catches the ball. He plows forward in a straight line. Unless he's in the redzone, where he just jumps straight up and manhandles DB's.

That's pretty much the entirely of his game besides blocking. Not a lot of side-to-side movement to worry about.

Risking their entire draft? The 2nd round pick of our league champion last year was Steven Jackson. Missing on a 2nd round pick, something that more than a third of the league does in a typical season, is hardly a death knell. When the upside is what Gronk's is, it's a pretty decent swing for the fences.

Risking their entire draft? The 2nd round pick of our league champion last year was Steven Jackson. Missing on a 2nd round pick, something that more than a third of the league does in a typical season, is hardly a death knell. When the upside is what Gronk's is, it's a pretty decent swing for the fences.
To invert the popular saying, you can't lose your league in a single pick, but you can win it.

Sometimes the injury risks actually present value. This year we have RG3, Romo, Foster, Gronk, Julio Jones etc that might actually be value because of their injury.

I will throw Bradshaw, and Mcfadden in the over-drafted pool.

I finished the regular season with the #1 seed last year after taking Doug Martin #2 overall (and Jones-Drew 3.02!). The #2 seed, who actually scored 4 more points than me on the season (but one more loss) took Julio Jones.

As we should all know by now, you can make it no matter what happens to any one player. Sure it's harder if your first or second rounder flops, but if you hit on a later round guy it evens out (I hit on both Bernard and Lacy) (#2 guy hit on Alshon and Cameron)

Buuuut then in the playoffs I lost Welker, lost the ace up my sleeve (Gronk, taken 5.02), started Stafford like an idiot and he bombed...suck.

He catches the ball. He plows forward in a straight line. Unless he's in the redzone, where he just jumps straight up and manhandles DB's.
This is the major problem I have. Until I can actually see him leave the Earth and return with no issues, investing a 2nd round pick is pure tomfoolery.

That's pretty much the entirely of his game besides blocking. Not a lot of side-to-side movement to worry about.
That's also why he gets lit up more than the New York skyline though.

He will continue to get tattooed playing the way he does. It's an essential part of his nature.

I look him the same way I look at DeMarco Murray. He's very talented, but it's almost a given that he won't make it through a season healthy.

To invert the popular saying, you can't lose your league in a single pick, but you can win it.
Investing in Gronk to return from ACL & MCL surgery in less than 8 months and be at 100% of past production is the exact definition of how you lose your league. :shrug:

This is the major problem I have. Until I can actually see him leave the Earth and return with no issues, investing a 2nd round pick is pure tomfoolery.
I mean, he's already doing that. He's only practicing at 80% speed or whatever but do you think he's just refusing to jump, period?

He catches the ball. He plows forward in a straight line. Unless he's in the redzone, where he just jumps straight up and manhandles DB's.That's pretty much the entirely of his game besides blocking. Not a lot of side-to-side movement to worry about.
That's also why he gets lit up more than the New York skyline though.

He will continue to get tattooed playing the way he does. It's an essential part of his nature.

I look him the same way I look at DeMarco Murray. He's very talented, but it's almost a given that he won't make it through a season healthy.
The borderline dirty hit that took out his ACL is not one I see him suffering all the time, and I see a lot of Pats games up here. And he seems to shrug off anything else. His other injuries were unrelated to being hit by defenders.

Investing in Gronk to return from ACL & MCL surgery in less than 8 months and be at 100% of past production is the exact definition of how you lose your league. :shrug:
Exactly - I mean, the people who took AP and Charles two years ago still rue the day.

To a large degree I agree here. I think that Gronk in the second is crazy. If it is a TE premium league I could see someone rolling the dice on Gronk in the third. In a regular PPR league I wouldn't think of him until the fourth. There is too much risk for me to pick him earlier.

The play might be to let him get drafted with the plan to pounce on him if he doesn't come out blazing. I own him in 2 keeper leagues so the value is skewed but im giddy over the idea of having him in September.

The borderline dirty hit that took out his ACL is not one I see him suffering all the time, and I see a lot of Pats games up here. And he seems to shrug off anything else. His other injuries were unrelated to being hit by defenders.
I've seen him take several brutal hits that easily could've ended in injury if the defender had arrived a split second sooner or at a slightly different angle. He walked away from this one, this one, and this one, but if you put yourself in enough of those situations then sooner or later someone is going to catch you just right and you're going to get an "unlucky" injury. He has really long legs and a really high center of gravity combined with almost zero sideways quickness. That makes him a somewhat easy target for people to launch themselves into compared to someone who plays lower and with more agility. I think you'll see more defenders use Ward's tactics against Gronk after seeing the result. Rodney Harrison said he expects it as well.

I wouldn't say he's bound to get perma-crocked, but that's a major hesitation for me. Some people look at him and say, "He's X years old and he scored Y points when healthy, therefore he's worth Z based on the expectation for the rest of his career." That's all contingent on him staying on the field though and remaining at his peak level. Sidney Rice just retired at 27. Danario Alexander can hardly stay on the field. Darren McFadden's career has been a constant chain of injuries. That's not to say Gronk's situation is a perfect parallel. His injury issues are different and he's had a higher and longer peak than any of those guys. The point of bringing them up is that you can't necessarily just look at a guy and assume he's worth Z because he's a certain age and he once scored this many points in a season. If it were that simple then McFadden and Rice would still be fantasy gold. Turns out they were fool's gold.

Whether he's the next Gonzo/Witten or the next McFadden I don't really know, but certainly the warning shots have been fired and if he goes down again then you probably can't chalk it up to bad luck. No more than a Blackmon or Gordon owner has any right to. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior and that applies to some of these chronic MASH guys as well.

Users who are viewing this thread