What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Rob Gronkowski, TB (2 Viewers)

ROB GRONKOWSKI TE, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

According to ESPN's Mike Reiss, the Patriots "aggressively courted" Jared Cook before he signed with New Orleans.

It's another miss for the Patriots, who also struck out in their pursuit of slot receiver Adam Humphries, now a Tennessee Titan. Per Reiss, Cook felt he had a clearer path to playing time in New Orleans, which suggests the Patriots expect Rob Gronkowski back in 2019. While Gronk's future remains somewhat uncertain—the tight end hasn't shied away from retirement talk—the 29-year-old has reportedly been a regular at the Patriots' facility this offseason, unlike last year when the future Hall of Famer was mostly absent from team activities. Gronkowski officially announced his return for 2018 last April and is probably looking at a similar timeline this year.

RELATED: 

Jared Cook

, New Orleans Saints

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Mar 24, 2019, 8:16 AM

Yeah Gronk isn't retiring.  Cook is older thank Gronk.. . 

Once the sports media hears the word retire in the context of a good player you never hear the of it.  It must generate a lot of ad clicks from casual people reading articles or something.

Edit: wow, I stand corrected.  How wrong was I? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago

#Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski announces his retirement. One of the best to ever do it.

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago

#Patriots TE Rob Gronkowski announces his retirement. One of the best to ever do it.
Honestly, I'm pretty surprised by this. He seemed more serious about retiring a year ago when he didn't, than this year when he did. Maybe he wanted to go out with a ring.

1st ballot HOF'er in my opinion. Nobody ever played the position at a higher level, just for longer. 

Big loss for New England. While he had clearly lost a step or 2, whenever they needed a play from him last year, he still stepped up to make it. They don't win that AFC championship game against KC without him. 

I’m happy for the big guy.  Gave everything his body could give and was one of the most dominant players at any position in his prime. Clear Hall of Famer and went out on top.

The league is less fun without him.  He was a pleasure to watch.

He wasn’t always there in the playoffs but for a brief period of time there was no one more valuable to own in fantasy.

Great career and best peak years of any TE ever. It seems like it was time he really slowed down this year......glad to see him walk off the field and not get carted off. 

Not 100% convinced we will never see Gronk on the field again. Willie McGinnest's take several weeks ago was that Gronk would retire, would miss playing, and would return for the stretch run and playoffs. 

Not 100% convinced we will never see Gronk on the field again. Willie McGinnest's take several weeks ago was that Gronk would retire, would miss playing, and would return for the stretch run and playoffs. 
You hanging on to him in your dynasty leagues?

Seems like he’s going to be pretty busy with whatever he does and seems like would be hard to stay in football shape.

Seems like he’s going to be pretty busy with whatever he does and seems like would be hard to stay in football shape.
Hard to say. He's been working out at team facilities since the Super Bowl. There has been plenty of speculation that he was negotiating for either more money or a reduced role for the same money. NE likely wanted him to take a pay cut and he only wanted to play with Brady.

Bottom line, I don't think he didn't want to play. I think he just didn't want to play for the amount they were willing to pay him. Not knowing what he has lined up, it's hard to guess what time commitment would be involved or if he could stay in game shape.

That being said, if he agreed to come back halfway through the season, took a month to get in shape, and played December and beyond would probably work for all parties involved.

Pretty obvious decision. Despite many people holding out hope every week that he'd turn it around, his body clearly has taken too much punishment.

Only Patriots player I liked that wasn't a Florida Gator and that's saying something. At least in terms of Patriots that were on the team as long as Brady and him. I guess Gostowski counts as he did help me and Gronk win a Fantasy title awhile back. Either way fun guy definitely easy to cheer for. Always played hard and gave his all. Like it's been said numerous times he's never spent an NFL Check in his career and lived off his endorsement deals. Take away the goofiness and frat boy type stuff and this guy is one smart dude. What a great career. It was clear his body just wasn't gonna let him be Gronk on the field anymore. 

Yeah I dont think anybody disliked the guy. Seemed like he was an odd fit in NE given his fun loving personality and penchant for the spotlight. 

The best stories of Gronk were probably on those cruise ships but we'll never know. 

Even his agent Drew Rosenhaus said he would not be surprised if Gronk came back later in the season. I think that is definitely a possibility. Not sure what percentage chance there is of that happening though.

Mike Clay‏Verified account @MikeClayNFL

Players like Rob Gronkowski are the reason the Hall of Fame exists. He wasn’t just a great player. At worst, he was arguably the best tight end ever. If he’s not a Canton lock, the system is badly broken.

5:24 AM - 25 Mar 2019 from Cheshire, CT

------------------------------------------------------------------

:thumbup:

Gronk Was The Most Efficient Receiver We’ve Seen Yes, receiver — not just among tight ends.

... Despite his relatively short career, Gronk seems like an ironclad lock for the Pro Football Hall of Fame based on his three championships and many spike-worthy touchdowns. And there’s plenty of evidence that the traditional markers of tight end production undersell Gronkowski’s success. When healthy, Gronk was one of the most efficient offensive weapons in NFL history, notable as much for the nightmares he caused defenses as for the short amount of time his star shone (or his party-loving ways off the field).
Go to link for full read.

He's the only Patriot people outside of New England actually like.

Gonna miss this guy, great career, possibly the best TE ever when he was in his prime. 

Users who are viewing this thread