What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lamar Miller, 2016, Infinity and beyond (3 Viewers)

Lamar has not looked good but their offense is strange to watch, not sure if it's my bias from having Miller in FF but it seems like they don't try to run the ball at all. All a bunch of short/intermediate passes.
I think he had all of 4 attempts in the first half of the opening game? I've never seen an NFL offense try to exist without establishing at least some ground game. Very weird and concerning considering I spend a 3rd round pick on the guy to be my RB1
Very disconcerning owning Miller with all the hype that he could be a low end RB #1. Low sample size, but one either has to cut bait or hope for a turnaround. I'd rather feel the excitement of playing Matt Jones right now instead of ho hum Miller.

Watching MNF....I vividly remember the moment in the 3rd round of my draft when I was choosing between Gore and Miller. Oops.
I snagged both Miller and Gore at the turn with my 4th & 5th round picks after going Gronk, D Thomas, and Hopkins with my first three picks thinking I salvaged two very decent RB's. Both of them have well underperformed and have not dazzled me one bit...so far! Thinking of cutting bait with the both of em!

i cant count the number of times ive cut guys early in the season only to have them explode on someone elses team...im learning to be patient and hold with players like Miller

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley
The Dolphins have elevated Jonas Gray from their practice squad to the active roster.
Sounds like Miller could be limited or out this week.
So if he is Out this week, is Damien Williams a flex play option or is the offense just too bad for any RB to succeed?
Bills have a good run defense and should shut Williams down on the ground. Would be a desperation play that he gets a rushing TD and a bunch of receptions (Dolphins have averaged 6 targets a game to Miller and Williams)

What happened to Lazor's philosophy of running the ball 25-30 games and increasing the play count which he had last year? The offense has gone in a different direction than I expected and it always seems to underperform.

Adam Beasley ‏@AdamHBeasley
The Dolphins have elevated Jonas Gray from their practice squad to the active roster.
Sounds like Miller could be limited or out this week.
So if he is Out this week, is Damien Williams a flex play option or is the offense just too bad for any RB to succeed?
I hope he is out because whoever is running the ball won't be running far against Buffalo. I don't want a poor Lamar Miller performance to sway this stupid coaching staff into a RBBC approach.

What happened to Lazor's philosophy of running the ball 25-30 games and increasing the play count which he had last year? The offense has gone in a different direction than I expected and it always seems to underperform.
Seems like he thinks he has Dan Marino at QB.

If Miller is out, the moron coaching staff will probably run the ball 40 times. Gray with 22 carries for 40 yards and DW with 18 for 35. Run the hell out of the scrubs but waste a talented asset by throwing every down or running up the middle out of the shotgun on 2nd and 10. Neither is worth a start, nor is a healthy Miller until Philbin is fired. He's really only a dynasty hold at this point until he gets the hell out of Miami next year. Unless we get lucky early enough for Philbin to be canned like he should have been after the last 2 seasons.

If Miller is out, the moron coaching staff will probably run the ball 40 times. Gray with 22 carries for 40 yards and DW with 18 for 35. Run the hell out of the scrubs but waste a talented asset by throwing every down or running up the middle out of the shotgun on 2nd and 10. Neither is worth a start, nor is a healthy Miller until Philbin is fired. He's really only a dynasty hold at this point until he gets the hell out of Miami next year. Unless we get lucky early enough for Philbin to be canned like he should have been after the last 2 seasons.
I hear ya. 2nd dumbest staff in the league only behind Detroit. Miller to Dallas would be amazing.

I own Miller so you can pretty much guarantee he'll be an injury scratch this weekend and whomever runs in his place will go off and force a committee approach for the rest of the year. You're welcome.

Rotoworld:

Lamar Miller (ankle) is listed as questionable for Week 3 against the Bills, but is expected to play.
He's been a limited participant at practice this week. Some took Miami's decision to promote Jonas Gray from the practice squad as a sign Miller wouldn't play, but that's not the case. We wouldn't bank on a big game from Miller Sunday against Buffalo's stingy run defense.

Source: Armando Salguero on Twitter
Sep 25 - 1:56 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN’s James Walker reports the Dolphins coaching staff "doesn't seem confident in the rushing attack."

The Dolphins have the third-worst rush offense through two weeks. Coach Joe Philbin said there’s "multiple issues" that need to be fixed, but Miami's struggles should continue this week with LT Branden Albert sidelined and a matchup against Buffalo’s top run defense. Lamar Miller (questionable, ankle) is expected to play, but isn’t more than a low-end RB2 on Sunday.

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 26 - 6:16 PM

From To Draft Tm Lg G GS Att Yds Y/A TD Y/G Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Y/G Ctch%Tatum Bell 2004 2006 2-41 DEN NFL 43 14 481 2342 4.87 13 54.5 66 47 299 6.36 0 7.0 71.2Lamar Miller 2012 2014 4-97 MIA NFL 45 32 444 2058 4.64 11 45.7 95 70 490 7.00 1 10.9 73.7
Comparing Lamar to Tatum is way off. While Tatum benefitted from the Shanahan/zone blocking that took the league by surprise back when any back in Denver was great, Lamar is doing his today on an ok team with nothing special going.
Am I still way off?

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Miller is expected to play after getting in limited practices on his injured ankle on both Thursday and Friday. Miller, who was listed as questionable on Friday, has run for 67 yards on 23 carries through the first two weeks.

From To Draft Tm Lg G GS Att Yds Y/A TD Y/G Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Y/G Ctch%Tatum Bell 2004 2006 2-41 DEN NFL 43 14 481 2342 4.87 13 54.5 66 47 299 6.36 0 7.0 71.2Lamar Miller 2012 2014 4-97 MIA NFL 45 32 444 2058 4.64 11 45.7 95 70 490 7.00 1 10.9 73.7
Comparing Lamar to Tatum is way off. While Tatum benefitted from the Shanahan/zone blocking that took the league by surprise back when any back in Denver was great, Lamar is doing his today on an ok team with nothing special going.
Am I still way off?
If you're comparing Lamar Miller to Tatum Bell, yes, you are.

I'd suggest you compare how they look more than the numbers. Miller may never be any more successful than he's been, but if that's the case, it won't be because he has any similarities to Bell.

He was limited all week and I don't like the Miami running game today (even less than usual). So I'm sitting both L.Miller and Damien Williams today in favor of David Johnson and Karlos Williams.

I love Philbin saying there are multiple issues with the running game that need to be fixed. I wonder if one of those is the play calling...

Bad ankle + bad matchup +bad first 2 games + bad line+ terrible coaching...I benched him. Wish I had a better option than Spiller for him, but I will take the chance on a long TD vs the almost guaranteed 9 carries for 37 yards with 2 catches for 18. Fact that its a late game hurts too. If he feels gimpy in warmups, you cant be certain he will be active. Activating Jonas Grey from the PS was a red flag for me.

Surprisingly, Gray got more carries than Miller yesterday - and over Damian Miller - and Gray's carries were not just in garbage time. Gray came in the 2nd quarter when the Dolphins were down 17-0.

Hard to say with the running game stuck in neutral, but looks like Miller's hold on the feature back role is shrinking fast.

Surprisingly, Gray got more carries than Miller yesterday - and over Damian Miller - and Gray's carries were not just in garbage time. Gray came in the 2nd quarter when the Dolphins were down 17-0.

Hard to say with the running game stuck in neutral, but looks like Miller's hold on the feature back role is shrinking fast.
Yeah but I'm not sure how much to read into that yet. For one I think Miller was at least partially injured this game so perhaps they were spelling him. Also Grey didn't do any better than Miller in his attempts (same exact average rushing yards). There's a bigger problem than RB skill at play in Miami right now

I might try to buy low on him in a week or two. Pretty sure next weeks matchup is tough as well so Miller owners might be well done with him by then. Maybe he'll heal up, the coaching staff will come to their senses and he could have a nice uplift in 2nd half of season

I might try to buy low on him in a week or two. Pretty sure next weeks matchup is tough as well so Miller owners might be well done with him by then. Maybe he'll heal up, the coaching staff will come to their senses and he could have a nice uplift in 2nd half of season
Miller has to be one of the more frustrating fantasy rbs in recent time (and as a dolphin fan I would be frustrated). He looks great when they give him the ball and they do well. Yet every game they seem to give him 3 first half carries.

Started Vereen over Miller this week, even though that didn't work out as well I really can't envision starting miller until he shows anything decent. Miami is so bad they are gonna be playing from behind a lot.

I'm pissed at myself for buying the hype. i.e. Bigger/stronger/gonna get a large workload. I traded him away last year in my dynasty league where I've owned him since his rookie year, and then bought back in this year in a redraft.

I think when all is said and done in 2015, his numbers will look pretty much like 2014.

He gets 11-15 carries a game. He catches 2-3 passes/game. Its the same as it was last year. The game flow got away from them this week, but the first two weeks look pretty much the same as last year. The RB position in general is incredibly weak, so he'll end up as a high end RB2 if he stays healthy.

Wasn't a huge fan of his price tag during the pre-season but he makes for a good buy low target now.
I wouldn't be in a hurry to buy low. He'll get even cheaper with the ankle, the Bills then Jets on deck.
:hifive:

I'm pissed at myself for buying the hype. i.e. Bigger/stronger/gonna get a large workload. I traded him away last year in my dynasty league where I've owned him since his rookie year, and then bought back in this year in a redraft.

I think when all is said and done in 2015, his numbers will look pretty much like 2014.

He gets 11-15 carries a game. He catches 2-3 passes/game. Its the same as it was last year. The game flow got away from them this week, but the first two weeks look pretty much the same as last year. The RB position in general is incredibly weak, so he'll end up as a high end RB2 if he stays healthy.
That is all he ever was. But this coaching staff has really held him back from his full potential. Could imagine him in a good offense? Dear lord. Imagine him running behind Dallas's OL!!

2016 free agent.
Hoping Miller goes to Dallas. They were fishing for him last winter. Now they can get him for free.

Note to self for next season - Do not draft a running back on a team with a head coach who hates running backs.
Filbin is gone real soon. I would expect a new HC to realize that Tannehill is not Dan Marino and get back to a balanced offense. Someone has to reign in Lazor. He has totally lost his mind.

I think the problem is that Philbin thinks he still has Aaron Rodgers throwing the ball for him.

Didn't I read where they got the ball down to "first and goal on the two",and they threw 4 consecutive incompletions...??

Sure there are some "problems" running the ball. But bad play calling is apparent too and even though there are problems running, the problems are MUCH WORSE when throwing the ball at times.

At least a few games last year they had success when they gave the ball to Miller.

It really is a wonder that they even beat the Skins in week 1.

Regardless, they will most certainly lose this week to the Jets, then I'm betting there is a change or two made.

My buddy who is a hardcore Dolphins homer said last night...." They might as well go ahead and fire Philbin now, stop clinging on to a lost season, bring someone new in and get him a headstart on next year". :D

TZM

I'm holding steady. His perceived value in my league is so low right now, it isn't worth it at all to deal him. Need to just hope the Dolphins become more balanced. Ugh.

If they do indeed lose to the Jets this week (and let's be real, it is the NFL and it is week to week and I would not be shocked to see this team come out and get a win this Sunday as bad as they have been) I fully expect Philbin to be fired going into the bye week.

I thought he should have been fired 2 years ago. Then they had another chance to dump him and go for Rex Ryan....but no, Steven Ross gives the vote of confidence after a freak win vs the Vikings at home last season and then of course in Philbin fashion the team drops it's next 2 must win to get into the playoff games vs the Bills and Jets against sub par QB's.

This is painful. Very painful. And Lamar Miller is a good back who is not being utilized properly yet again by mind numbing play calling. I thought they made big strides last year under Lasor, and now again they are reverting to this pass happy insane play calling and not doing anything to establish a running game. Our defense is an abortion, yet we are in a hurry to give the ball back.

It's mind boggling.

Users who are viewing this thread