What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Giovani Bernard, TB (2 Viewers)

Probably. The Bucs have much better receivers than Brady had to work with in NE.

That said look at the targets to the RBs they did have. Its a lot of targets and if Bernard gets the majority of those he could prove to be useful. Look at what Mike Davis did last year for example, I dont think anyone including myself expecting him to do as well as he did. I think Bernard is a better overall player than Mike Davis is.
It’s not like Fournette can’t catch. There is no guarantee Bernard gets the majority of anything. 

Thats true.

Fournette also dropped a lot of passes and the Bucs pursued James White and then ended up with Bernard who in my opinion is a better RB than White is.

I am huge fan of Bernard though so take my opinion with a grain of salt on that.
I could be wrong, but if memory serves, if Fournette isn't catching dump off passes he isn't catching passes, because he sure as hell can't run routes.

My gut tells me that this guy is everything Tom Brady wants in a running back and more. The only question is how much tread he has left on his tires. Don't see how he can't play the James White role immediately.

• What a practice for Giovani Bernard. He picked up Devin White twice in pass protection, eliminating blitzes to give Brady time to throw. The veteran also caught everything thrown his way, including a couple screen passes and a pass from Brady for a touchdown in 7-on-7. Bernard’s ability to flex outside and run routes will be something to look for this season. He’s been featured more and more as camp has gone on. The Bucs are thrilled about what he brings to the team.

The more training camp goes on, it feels like we are inching toward a Ronald Jones-Giovani Bernard backfield.

LINK

quick math

Gio B. = James White.

going to be massive value in PPR leagues, and after week one, he'll be one of the most sought after waiver wire adds IMO. He'll probably go 6-90 /1td, and 10-45 rushing in that first game and everyone will be running to the waiver wire on wednesday night to grab him. LOL

feckless bengals let him rot

I had briefly forgotten about him and then he ran a really crisp route the other night on his one series with the starters. It was a “whoa” moment, because I hadn’t seen anything like it out of the backfield at all last season from Jones or Fournette. 

quick math

Gio B. = James White.

going to be massive value in PPR leagues, and after week one, he'll be one of the most sought after waiver wire adds IMO. He'll probably go 6-90 /1td, and 10-45 rushing in that first game and everyone will be running to the waiver wire on wednesday night to grab him. LOL

feckless bengals let him rot
Nope. Too many mouths.... CROWDED

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. Too many mouths.... CROWDED
Actually, isn't that exactly what everyone said about James White every season as well?

It really depends on what type of league you are in. If you are in a full PPR league and/or you are in any type of deep league White has been no worse than good depth most years and was actually a RB#1 in 2018.

Made what I feel is largely a lateral move swapping Damien Williams for Gio on the waiver wire.   Brady magic, the possibility of Ro-Jo and Lenny getting in Arians' doghouse, the above comments about pass protection prowess (which I wasn't aware), and the more obvious receiving skills put me over the top.

Can't promise that I won't have to drop him for my kicker.   If he puts together anything resembling James White's 2018 it would provide some much needed depth to a dynasty team primed to win.

Love him this year. Nothing but good news regarding him coming from Bucs camp thus far. Brady loves to check down too. This years McKissic. 

Looked like he tweaked his ankle a bit in the last preseason game. Nothing major though. 

It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up finishing higher than Jones and Fournette in PPR leagues. I also expect you’ll get more consistency week to week from him. 

I snagged him for $1 at the end of my 10-team, $250 cap, PPR superflex auction and I am very happy with that. Seems like everyone else forgot about him. 

For my RBs, I spent more than $90 combined on Zeke and Gibson, and then $1 each on Bernard, McKissic, Michel, Gainwell and Ty'Son Williams, so I'm hoping the PPR cheat code works well this year. 

You guys are making me pretty happy that I drafted him with my 16th pick in my 10 teamer. I sorta did it out of ignorance, but I liked the thought of  him and Brady. Now to learn that he is a fantastic blocker and has already earned Brady's trust is even better.

I’ve been following football most of my life & playing FF for more than 2 decades, and I’ve never heard of a “mild” high ankle sprain.

I do distinctly recall the Bucs being notoriously shady with injury info, so mentally I’m taking out the “mild”.

Dude has a high ankle sprain. 

Well dang, I hope they are not being fully honest and in a good way! The dreaded high ankle sprain is no friend of us FF players. 

I’ve been following football most of my life & playing FF for more than 2 decades, and I’ve never heard of a “mild” high ankle sprain.

I do distinctly recall the Bucs being notoriously shady with injury info, so mentally I’m taking out the “mild”.

My first reaction to "mild high ankle sprain" was "isn't that an oxymoron?"

There are severity levels or grades to high ankle sprains: 1, 2 and 3.

Grade 1, also called "mild" is normally a 6 week recovery time.

Giovani Bernard (ankle) returned to practice.

Bernard missed the last few days with a "mild" high-ankle sprain. Returning to practice is a good sign for his status for Thursday's regular-season opener. The Bucs expect Bernard, who played every third-down snap with the starters this preseason, to be ready for Week 1.

SOURCE: Tampa Bay Times

Sep 5, 2021, 11:32 AM ET

https://twitter.com/NFLSTROUD/status/1434536698432696321

🤔

I really only consider Gio in deep best balls and really deep redraft PPRs.

Just not enough ceiling, even in this offense.

I am a believer that he can be White and maybe better. Lots of action to be had in the 3rd down role. 

Unless there are major injuries or you are in a 20 team league i can't even conceptualize why would you would start a 3rd down rb...his floor is literally zero and his ceiling is low as well

Unless there are major injuries or you are in a 20 team league i can't even conceptualize why would you would start a 3rd down rb...his floor is literally zero and his ceiling is low as well
PPR leagues make him a viable flex play or BYE week filler. 

Format-specific 

IMHO, by Season's end, barring injury (to him, or others), Gio could wind up being a lot more than a 3rd-down RB. If reports coming out of Training Camp are accurate, he already is. He's hands-down a better pass-blocker than either Fournette or Jones (he's graded as being a better pass blocker than almost all NFL RB's, I believe I've read), and the Bucs aren't only going to pass on 3rd down. With those WR/TE's there's going to be a lot of space to run, and it's not like he can't be an effective runner, either, especially given room. When he's on the field, he's the likely 'best' RB at disguising what the Bucs are likely to do when the ball is snapped, as Fournette's receiving chops are somewhat limited to certain things, and Jones isn't much of a receiving back, at all. There's not necessarily a 'tell' when Gio is in the formation. Providing the ankle checks out and isn't a nagging thing, there's certainly a path towards production that far exceeds his ADP. Again, IMHO.

I am a believer that he can be White and maybe better. Lots of action to be had in the 3rd down role. 
White had one stellar year where he scored 12 TD and another decent season the following year. The flip side to that is he had 3 other pretty non-descript fantasy seasons with Brady.

The year White was stellar, the Patriots had a banged up Gronk, a banged up Edelman, and Josh Gordon got suspended. White had 123 targets that year and led the team in targets. The following year, the Patriots had Edelman and White . . . but no Gronk . . . and no other player with 30 receptions on the season. 

Now compare those Patriots teams to the current Tampa team. Unlike the Patriots, the Bucs have more receivers and tight ends than they can play. I don't see Bernard coming anywhere near 123 targets or 12 TD like White did. Gio will be lucky to see half that many targets, and given all the other fire power, probably only a quarter of the TD opportunities that White saw that year in NE.

Gio will be lucky to rank in the Top 50 in PPR leagues.

Gio is league dependent.

has to be a deep league for him to be viable...nobody is winning a 10 team league with James White or Gio at flex or RB.

White had one stellar year where he scored 12 TD and another decent season the following year. The flip side to that is he had 3 other pretty non-descript fantasy seasons with Brady.

The year White was stellar, the Patriots had a banged up Gronk, a banged up Edelman, and Josh Gordon got suspended. White had 123 targets that year and led the team in targets. The following year, the Patriots had Edelman and White . . . but no Gronk . . . and no other player with 30 receptions on the season. 

Now compare those Patriots teams to the current Tampa team. Unlike the Patriots, the Bucs have more receivers and tight ends than they can play. I don't see Bernard coming anywhere near 123 targets or 12 TD like White did. Gio will be lucky to see half that many targets, and given all the other fire power, probably only a quarter of the TD opportunities that White saw that year in NE.

Gio will be lucky to rank in the Top 50 in PPR leagues.
it will be pretty shocking to me if he does not break the top 50 in PPR leagues. "Camp reports", which are pretty much all we have right now, they are really positive. Noted as the 2nd in targets in red zone drills and a constant star in the 3rd down role. I feel good that he has that role over Fournette and Jones. 

I really like Gio in round 12 as my RB 5/6, not much to loose there.

it will be pretty shocking to me if he does not break the top 50 in PPR leagues. "Camp reports", which are pretty much all we have right now, they are really positive. Noted as the 2nd in targets in red zone drills and a constant star in the 3rd down role. I feel good that he has that role over Fournette and Jones. 

would rather try to hit a homerun with a Stevenson or Hubbard, but to each his own.

candian fantasy guy said:

Even if Gio cracks the Top 50, if you have 5 other RBs you drafted higher than him, what are the chances you will ever play him? He's fine as a roster depth guy, but if you have to play him regularly that is likely looking for trouble.

White had 49 receptions last year and ranked 42nd in 2020. Gio had 171 touches and 6 TD last year in CIN and ranked 30th. But the prior year with Mixon healthy, Bernard ranked 60th.

Just curious, what do you think Gio will produce in TB this season? Fournette and Jones aren't going anywhere (64 receptions between them last year). And as already mentioned, there are plenty of WR and TE to go around on that team.

Even if Gio cracks the Top 50, if you have 5 other RBs you drafted higher than him, what are the chances you will ever play him? He's fine as a roster depth guy, but if you have to play him regularly that is likely looking for trouble.

White had 49 receptions last year and ranked 42nd in 2020. Gio had 171 touches and 6 TD last year in CIN and ranked 30th. But the prior year with Mixon healthy, Bernard ranked 60th.

Just curious, what do you think Gio will produce in TB this season? Fournette and Jones aren't going anywhere (64 receptions between them last year). And as already mentioned, there are plenty of WR and TE to go around on that team.

Ronald Jones is JAG. Leonard Fournette is whatever is one step above JAG. JAG+.

Every now and then, the Football Gods smile on us peons, and gift us with the ideal Player intersecting with the ideal situation. IMHO, the Bucs are a perfect match for Giovani Bernard, and, barring injury, we're in for a real treat come Thursday night, and 16 weeks to follow. If Gio doesn't break down, I predict Lenny and Rojo cheering a lot from the sidelines, and Gio multi-tasking his way inside the Top 24. Solid FF RB2. That's the hill I'm planting my flag on. YMMV.

PS: The offensive statistical aggregates that the Bucs are going to generate are going to be absolutely mind-numbing. There's plenty of pie to go around when the pie is H-U-G-E HUGE.

Users who are viewing this thread