What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2024 Outlook for Ravens RBs - Does the arrival of King Henry signal the end of the perpetual RBBC ? (1 Viewer)

Bloody hell.

What does this mean? Mornhinweg's offenses were very rush heavy with the 2013-14 Jets, top 5 both years in fact. They featured split backfields with Ivory and Powell and then Ivory and Chris Johnson.
Yeah. You can probably forget about one guy getting all the carries

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an impossible position this week with byes so I probably have to dump him to ww.  I would hold him if I could though

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 6m6 minutes ago

With Kenneth Dixon out due to Tuesday's knee surgery, Ravens are signing former Giants, Bucs, Browns RB Bobby Rainey, per sources.

With this in mind, West looks like a back end RB2 or decent RB3 option. Thoughts?

Thinking he goes from somewhere like a 10th round selection to 7th?

I think they will have someone else in that role by mid season but certainly to start the season west is probably a back end rb2.  

Examining the Ravens' Deep Running Back Corps

The selection of J.K. Dobbins in this year's NFL draft has created a potential quandary at running back for the Baltimore Ravens. 

Along with quarterback and NFL MVP Lamar Jackson, the team now has five playmakers able to carry the ball. The question is whether there are enough snaps for all of them?

As far as general manager Eric DeCosta is concerned, that's a good problem.

"I think with our offense we want to add as many talented guys as we can at skill positions," DeCosta said. "So, having running backs is really, really important. This was a guy that was, in my opinion, one of the very best in college football this year. He's a very talented guy with electric skills and played at a very high level in a really good conference [on] one of the best teams in college football, so we're excited to get him. 

"He fits us, and I think he's going to be a guy that is going to be a dangerous player for us and give us the depth to do what we like to do.”

The question now is whether there will be enough carries. 

Mark Ingram was second on the team with 1,018 yards rushing. 

All three of Baltimore's running backs — Mark Ingram, Gus Edwards and Justice Hill — are still on the roster from last season. Jackson also played a key role with that explosive attack, and he carried the ball 176 times for 1,206 yards rushing — sixth-best in the league and the most by a quarterback in NFL single-season history.

Ingram was second on the team with 1,018 yards on 202 carries, followed by Edwards (711 yards on 133 carries) and Hill (225 yards on 58 carries). 

Dobbins has the talent to shoot up the depth chart as a rookie and become a focal point of the offense. He set a Buckeyes record with 2,003 rushing yards during his final season in 2019, breaking the previous mark of 1,927 held by Eddie George in 1995. Dobbins finished his career with 4,459 rushing yards, 796 receiving yards and 43 touchdowns. 

In short, he's perfect for the Ravens offense and DeCosta was ecstatic when he fell to them in the second round with the 55th overall selection.

"We thought he was going to be a first-round pick," DeCosta said. "We thought he might have been the first back selected, and he might have been a guy that went 25-30, somewhere in there. I learned a long time ago from [executive vice president] Ozzie [Newsome] – because this happened all the time with Ozzie – these great players would just fall down the board, and we would take them. 

"You prepare yourself for it, and when it happens, you have to be prepared to take the guy. So, we didn't really expect it. I don't think anybody really did. We didn't anticipate it, but we just had to take him. He's just a talented guy, and it just made too much sense for us not to take him."

Dobbins also represents the future of the team. Ingram turns age 31 in December and Edwards is playing on a one-year deal. Hill is more of a situational running back. 

Dobbins was just as surprised he wound up in Baltimore, especially with the current depth chart.

“I honestly didn’t know that I was going to receive a call from Baltimore, but God works in mysterious ways and here I am," he said. "So, I’m glad to be a part of this team ... It’s a blessing. Hopefully, I can come in, do some great things, and help the rushing kings stay on top. So, we’ll see how it goes.”

I'm glad I traded Ingram.  His career as a main player is mostly over...another guy that got kind of a bum career when he could have probably been a really good rb.  

killface said:
I'm glad I traded Ingram.  His career as a main player is mostly over...another guy that got kind of a bum career when he could have probably been a really good rb.  
He should have a very solid 2020 season in redraft 

killface said:
Bum career? He's been one of the best RBs over the last five years, and one of the few to go to another team and excel. Easily one of my favorite players, partly because he doesn't get the recognition he deserves. 

killface said:
I believe Ingram will be very good this year and looked good last year.  Those of you Dobbins ownedrs (me included) wanting him to go away, simply isn't going to happen in 2020.  Dobbins will show plenty, but Ingram is their main RB in 2020.

killface said:
He hasn't been a hall of fame player, but he's been very effective.

He's going to wind up becoming a value play.  Dobbins is a long term play, that can be a part of the offense this year.  But Ingram was a pro-bowler.  He had over 1,000 rushing yards and 15 TD's.  He's hardly a scrub.  

Realistically, should see 200+rushes again.  Jackson didn't dump off a ton last year, and that may limit his upside in the receiving game.  He'll almost surely have some TD regression, but could still see 10 TD's in this offense.

Also keep in mind that Ingram lost carries as a result of Baltimore blowing the socks off people.  They gave Hill and Edwards carries to lighten his load, I don't think they want Ingram taking 20 carries a game at this point in his career.  Also those guys are effective.  

But if they weren't destroying some of those teams, you've go to think Ingram gets a couple more carries here and there.  

They may still smash teams and it's a moot point.  But I think Ingram's 230-250 touches are pretty safe for 2020.

Speaking in a Thursday Zoom session, Ravens coach John Harbaugh said he envisions roles for all four of his running backs. 

That is Mark Ingram, J.K. Dobbins, Gus Edwards and Justice Hill for those keeping score at home. Harbaugh's comments came in the context of discussing Hill, whom he said he expected to "make a big jump" in 2020. "Is that really a problem?" Harbaugh asked rhetorically. "Having four guys who can break long runs and make guys miss?" They're encouraging comments for those holding onto Hill in dynasty leagues, but the reality is, it is going to be very tough for Hill to carve out a meaningful role behind Ingram and Dobbins, especially since Dobbins can also catch passes. Lamar Jackson also barely targeted his running backs in 2019. Hill remains six months shy of his 23rd birthday, but his role in the Ravens' scheme of things is hard to spot right now. He needs to run circles around Dobbins on third downs this summer. 

SOURCE: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter 

May 28, 2020, 4:24 PM ET

If it wasn't pretty much what they did last year I'd be less inclined to believe him. I actually think there's a good chance he's telling the truth here.

ESPN's Jamison Hensley projects Gus Edwards to make the Ravens' 53-man roster.

It would be the first time in head coach John Harbaugh's 12-year tenure that the Ravens have four running backs on their season-opening roster, per Hensley. Harbaugh has said there could be a role for all four backs, though Hensley expects Mark Ingram and rookie J.K. Dobbins to "carry the workload." Ravens running backs had a combined 393 carries last year in the NFL's run heaviest offense, with Ingram seeing a team-high 202 rushes and Edwards getting 133 carries. Ingram's fourth round ADP and Dobbins' seventh round ADP could narrow as the season nears. Edwards doesn't shape up as a dynasty league hold. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Jul 23, 2020, 11:29 AM ET

When asked about how he'll deploy his running backs, Ravens OC Greg Roman said "that’s going to happen on the fly every day in training camp."

The Ravens arguably have the deepest running back depth chart in the NFL with second-round rookie J.K. Dobbins added to a veteran group headlined by Mark Ingram and Gus Edwards. Roman said the team will "find ways to make it work, for sure. To have that kind of backfield is a blessing. We definitely want to get into training camp and work through it and kind of evolve as we go." With a condensed offseason, Ingram is the projected Week 1 starter and could hold onto that role well into the season if he continues running like he did last year when he averaged 5.0 yards per carry. Dobbins will put pressure on Ingram, however, particularly in the second half of 2020. The threat of a committee has suppressed Ingram and Dobbins' average draft positions in fantasy leagues, making them both worthwhile mid-round gambles. This offense should be among the league's best once again.

RELATED: 

J.K. Dobbins

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 9, 2020, 5:22 PM ET

Everyone knows Ingram will get most of the carries this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if they traded or cut Ingram in 2021.  He's a FA in 2022.

Ravens offensive coordinator Greg Roman said the team's backfield rotation is "going to be different every week."

"We like to keep people guessing so it will happen the way it happens," Roman continued. This is very much in line with what Roman said throughout August. In Week 1 against the Browns, Mark Ingram led the Baltimore backfield with 33 percent of the carries, followed by rookie J.K. Dobbins with 23 percent. Gus Edwards saw 13 percent of the team's Week 1 carries. Dobbins, of course, found pay dirt twice against the Browns, perhaps skewing how fantasy players view the Ravens backfield. However the backfield is split this season, it's clear Ingram won't have the same dominant role he has in 2019. He'll have a lower weekly floor than most fantasy managers thought. 

RELATED: 

Mark Ingram

SOURCE: Jeff Zrebiec on Twitter 

Sep 17, 2020, 11:50 AM ET

Ravens Running Backs Hit Their Stride in Reminiscent Grind-It-Out Win

After a slow start Sunday, the Ravens' running game dominated in the second half.

Held to 44 yards rushing in the first half, Baltimore finished with 230 yards on the ground and rolled to a 33-16 victory over the Houston Texans. It was reminiscent of 2019, when Baltimore set the NFL single season record for team rushing yards.

It was a good sign for the Ravens, who are working some new parts into their running attack. Tyre Phillips is the new starting right guard, taking over for the retired Marshal Yanda. Second-round pick J.K. Dobbins has joined the running back rotation, adding explosiveness and more depth.

For those wondering if the Ravens could still take over a game with their ground game, this game was a positive sign. Gus Edwards (73 yards), Mark Ingram II (55 yards), Lamar Jackson (54 yards) and Dobbins (48 yards) all took turns hurting the Texans. Jackson enjoyed watching the running backs eat.

"Our offensive line was doing a great job getting that push, getting the defensive line on their toes," Jackson said. "Our backs are just explosive. They're good. That's why we got them here, they just did their job. That's what we needed today to have success."

Baltimore's running backs attacked the Texans with different styles. Edwards used his power to hit Houston with a 22-yard run between the tackles.

Dobbins showed his balance an ability to break tackles not only as a runner, but as a pass-catcher out of the backfield. He had the team's longest run of the game with a 44-yarder late in the fourth quarter.

Ingram had the play of the game with a 30-yard touchdown sprint on fourth-and-1, also in the fourth quarter.

"The offensive line kind of built into it as the game went along," Head Coach John Harbaugh said. "The running backs were grinding out yards. They were getting extra yards every carry. They deserve a lot of credit for that"

The Ravens' long drives in the second half allowed Baltimore to take control of the game. After not running the ball as well as they wanted Week 1 against the Cleveland Browns, the Ravens were pleased with what transpired in the second half.

"The mindset coming out was to finish, 30 minutes," Ingram said. "That was our mentality. We didn't run the ball as much in the first half but I just told the backs, 'Let's just stay on point, stay focused, stay ready. When our opportunity comes, let's capitalize on it.' Our offensive line did a tremendous job creating seams for us to finish the game off."

The Ravens expect to have one of the NFL's best running attacks, but every season is different. Opponents have had an entire offseason to devise different ways to counter what Baltimore did last year, but the Texans had no answer in the second half.

"It's a new year, we're just trying to create a new identity for ourselves," Ingram said. "We were able to run the ball efficiently, get some big runs thanks to the offensive line creating holes for us. We feel like we have the best backfield in the league. We try to prove that week in and week out."

A Dobbins/Edwards combo is the best backfield they could have right now. They lose a couple more, that'll sort itself out right quick. They keep winning...well...then you might not see that so soon, and you might see more of Ingram. Dobbins has gotta be making dynasty owners happy, though, with the way that he runs. 

Ravens placed J.K. Dobbins on the COVID list.

It's very convenient that both Mark Ingram and Dobbins tested positive on Sunday night rather than pre-game Sunday morning. Both will sit for Thursday's (pending) contest against the Steelers, vaulting Gus Edwards and Justice Hill up the team's depth chart. Edwards in particular averaged 5.44 yards per carry against Pittsburgh's daunting front-seven in Week 8 and is expected to lead Baltimore's backfield in touches since Hill has played 17 snaps all year. Expect Edwards to headline John Daigle's Waiver Wire column on Tuesday.

RELATED: 

Gus Edwards

, Justice Hill

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

Nov 23, 2020, 2:43 PM ET

Justice Hill seems like a no-brainer $1 pickup this week. I could see the Bus having a 12-35 game facing all the 7 and 8 man fronts, with Hill getting all the fun parts of the playbook snaps. 

Users who are viewing this thread