What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Michael Floyd underrated? (1 Viewer)

The cardinals are currently the #1 seed in the NFC. Their formula is working extremely well right now. However, they are the #23 ranked offense. That means there isn't a huge pie to divvy up.

Both their HC and their QB have made statements how the offense is designed to spread the ball around and not feature any one player.

Brandon LaFell and Steve Smith are putting up very good numbers. Both players were afterthoughts coming into this season. Their situation changed, and suddenly they became very fantasy relevant. Situation is a huge part of ff success. Right now all the WRs in Arizona are borderline fantasy players. I'm confident that if Floyd was getting the targets that Steve Smith and Brandon LaFell are, he'd be very successful.

One last thing. I have a different opinion than you do about a player. Not really sure why you are choosing to make this personal/insulting.
Average players are highly affected by their situations. There's also such a thing as variance. I'll say this to you yet again, Floyd is a decent player. He's not an elite one. If you think Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones or DT wouldn't be putting up way better numbers in his situation you are kidding yourself.

Sorry if it's insulting, but you are letting your bias blind you to the obvious here.

voiceofunreason said:
The cardinals are currently the #1 seed in the NFC. Their formula is working extremely well right now. However, they are the #23 ranked offense. That means there isn't a huge pie to divvy up.

Both their HC and their QB have made statements how the offense is designed to spread the ball around and not feature any one player.

Brandon LaFell and Steve Smith are putting up very good numbers. Both players were afterthoughts coming into this season. Their situation changed, and suddenly they became very fantasy relevant. Situation is a huge part of ff success. Right now all the WRs in Arizona are borderline fantasy players. I'm confident that if Floyd was getting the targets that Steve Smith and Brandon LaFell are, he'd be very successful.

One last thing. I have a different opinion than you do about a player. Not really sure why you are choosing to make this personal/insulting.
Average players are highly affected by their situations. There's also such a thing as variance. I'll say this to you yet again, Floyd is a decent player. He's not an elite one. If you think Calvin Johnson, Julio Jones or DT wouldn't be putting up way better numbers in his situation you are kidding yourself.

Sorry if it's insulting, but you are letting your bias blind you to the obvious here.
I don't find your opinion insulting at all. However, you do seem to like to take a personal shot in just about every post.

There are many examples of elite players not performing on a perfect career arc. Priest Holmes, Jimmy Smith and Cris Carter were all cut from their teams in the most extreme examples. LaDanian Tomlinson averaged less than 4 YPC in five of his 11 years in the league. Is that because his situation wasn't ideal, or his talent wasn't elite?

I agree that this is not a good sign for Floyd going forward. I also agree that this season has been a big disappointment. However, I think you are ignoring what could be simply a scheme choice by a coaching staff that clearly knows how to win games. There are numerous possible outcomes here, and Floyd not being featured this year is not necessarily a death knell to his fantasy career.

It wouldn't surprise me even a little bit if Larry Fitzgerald went to a team like the Patriots next year and put up top 5-10 numbers there. If Fitzgerald leaves, I like Floyd's chances much more of becoming a featured player, even in Arizona. Right now there is just one too many players in Arizona splitting the majority of targets. Take out the 100+ that Fitz is gonna get, and Ellington, Brown and Floyd all benefit.

Looking over his game logs the past couple years the #1 reason for his bad performance has been lack of targets. When he's received 7 or more targets he's had 5 catches or a TD in 10 out 12 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

ESPN Cardinals reporter Josh Weinfuss doesn't expect Arizona to make a concerted effort to get the ball into Michael Floyd's hands more.

"His numbers won't be increasing anytime soon," Weinfuss says. After averaging 7.3 targets the first three games of the season, Floyd has seen that number dip to 4.6 the past five weeks. Carson Palmer is simply spreading the ball around too much, as he's targeted 10, 10, nine, and eight different receivers in each of the past four games. And Arians has always said he'll never draw up plays for certain receivers to get the ball. Floyd is a boom-or-bust WR3.

Source: ESPN.com
Nov 7 - 11:29 AM

I just dropped him. Basically, I'm struggling. My WR3 spot has been awful all season, largely due to Floyd, so I traded for Randall Cobb. Floyd has been maddening this season. Kind of reminds me of Colston. He'll have a huge game, then disappear for a while. I just couldn't take it anymore.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

ESPN Cardinals reporter Josh Weinfuss doesn't expect Arizona to make a concerted effort to get the ball into Michael Floyd's hands more.

"His numbers won't be increasing anytime soon," Weinfuss says. After averaging 7.3 targets the first three games of the season, Floyd has seen that number dip to 4.6 the past five weeks. Carson Palmer is simply spreading the ball around too much, as he's targeted 10, 10, nine, and eight different receivers in each of the past four games. And Arians has always said he'll never draw up plays for certain receivers to get the ball. Floyd is a boom-or-bust WR3.

Even Fitz is only getting targeted 6 times a game from Palmer.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

ESPN Cardinals reporter Josh Weinfuss doesn't expect Arizona to make a concerted effort to get the ball into Michael Floyd's hands more."His numbers won't be increasing anytime soon," Weinfuss says. After averaging 7.3 targets the first three games of the season, Floyd has seen that number dip to 4.6 the past five weeks. Carson Palmer is simply spreading the ball around too much, as he's targeted 10, 10, nine, and eight different receivers in each of the past four games. And Arians has always said he'll never draw up plays for certain receivers to get the ball. Floyd is a boom-or-bust WR3.

Even Fitz is only getting targeted 6 times a game from Palmer.
And the offense looks good. Not explosive but they're doing enough.

Looking over his game logs the past couple years the #1 reason for his bad performance has been lack of targets. When he's received 7 or more targets he's had 5 catches or a TD in 10 out 12 games.
I think he may very well still be limited by health issues plus if defenses are still defending last year's Michael Floyd it just makes it that much easier to go to Brown

I think he may very well still be limited by health issues plus if defenses are still defending last year's Michael Floyd it just makes it that much easier to go to Brown
he`s just not making plays with the few targets he`s getting....frustrating as all get go

Great. just when I traded for this guy. He seems like he'll always be the "next year" guy.
This is an odd statement since he was a rookie, then he outproduced all expectations last year. Yes, he's struggled this year, but it's certainly not a case of a guy being a tease multiple years in a row.

I just dropped him for Justin Hunter
Starting Hunter over Floyd takes guts. Not saying it is wrong. I dropped Welker for Hunter this week but don't have the nerve to actually put Hunter in my line up. Yet.
It does but considering I am in 9th placeout of 10 teams and last in receiving points, I really don't have any better options. Plus, Hunter got 10 targets from Mettenberg last timeout and Floyd hasn't sniffed 10 targets all year.

Floyd's receiving lines in Palmer's starts are 5-119-0, 4-47-1, 3-47-1, 0-0, and 4-36-0. Floyd's target totals are most troubling at 3, 4, and 5 the past three weeks. St. Louis is banged up at right cornerback and starts sixth-round rookie E.J. Gaines at LCB, but Floyd's high-volatility usage renders him a boom-or-bust WR3 option. When he's only seeing about four targets per game, Floyd can't afford to miss any opportunities

Floyd's receiving lines in Palmer's starts are 5-119-0, 4-47-1, 3-47-1, 0-0, and 4-36-0. Floyd's target totals are most troubling at 3, 4, and 5 the past three weeks. St. Louis is banged up at right cornerback and starts sixth-round rookie E.J. Gaines at LCB, but Floyd's high-volatility usage renders him a boom-or-bust WR3 option. When he's only seeing about four targets per game, Floyd can't afford to miss any opportunities
Gaines is leading the Rams with 7 passes defended.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article3390012.html

Opponents had targeted Gaines 29 times, completing 16 passes for an average gain of 10.9 yard with one touchdown entering Sunday.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article3390012.html#storylink=cpy

Rotoworld:

Michael Floyd caught just one pass for 11 yards in the Cardinals' Week 10 win over the Rams.

Floyd was targeted just four times. On his lone catch, he nearly got decapitated by Mark Barron. Floyd continues to be one of the biggest busts of the 2014 fantasy season. Rob Housler, Ted Ginn, Jaron Brown, and John Carlson all managed to post better receiving numbers on Sunday. Maybe Drew Stanton's insertion into the lineup for Carson Palmer (knee) can get Floyd going. But for now, he's merely a boom-or-bust WR3/4.

Nov 9 - 8:20 PM

Rotoworld:

Michael Floyd caught just one pass for 11 yards in the Cardinals' Week 10 win over the Rams.

Floyd was targeted just four times. On his lone catch, he nearly got decapitated by Mark Barron. Floyd continues to be one of the biggest busts of the 2014 fantasy season. Rob Housler, Ted Ginn, Jaron Brown, and John Carlson all managed to post better receiving numbers on Sunday. Maybe Drew Stanton's insertion into the lineup for Carson Palmer (knee) can get Floyd going. But for now, he's merely a boom-or-bust WR3/4.

Nov 9 - 8:20 PM
:lol:

He's been "bust" 3 weeks in a row. Feel free to mix in a "boom" now and then, guy.

His status as a total bust is underrated he's a much larger bust than advertised.
Pretty true. Being the 3rd wideout in a scheme that is run-heavy reverts Floyd's stats to his rookie year numbers. There are better WR4s out there right now.

His status as a total bust is underrated he's a much larger bust than advertised.
Pretty true. Being the 3rd wideout in a scheme that is run-heavy reverts Floyd's stats to his rookie year numbers. There are better WR4s out there right now.
I agree..I traded for floyd a few weeks back thinking he would be a nice upgrade from bowe--and I was wrong. Bowe seems like a high end wr3 and floyd is a wr4 at best

I'm dropping him this week. Not going down in flames waiting. Pacience is for true studs, If he was he would demand flow his way.

Should have done it earlier but finally dropped him. I had so much hope in this league when I drafted Floyd, Wright, Hunter, Wheaton as my WR2 to WR5. Bust X 4.

Now the question is what do I do with Doug Baldwin <_<

He's worth nothing in redraft unless your league is extremely deep. Drop him and hope someone picks him up.

i have two m. floyd's and i never thought the cardinal m floyd would be the one that is droppable....

call me crazy, but i'm going to give him a game or two more before i consider dropping him. he had a decent game with stanton earlier in the year... given that the bad bye weeks are pretty much over he's worth stashing ont he bench to see if he can regain some viability as a matchup wr3

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2014/11/07/airzona-cardinals-michael-floyd-dan-williams-nfl/18672765/

Ready or not, this was supposed to be the year Michael Floyd ascended into becoming the Cardinals' clear-cut No. 1 wide receiver. It was to be the bridge season in which he took the invisible baton from Larry Fitzgerald and never looked back.

So far, he's managed to fumble the exchange.

Entering Sunday's NFC West matchup against the visiting St.Louis Rams, Floyd has caught fewer than half (23) of the passes thrown his way (48) and is on pace to finish with just 778 yards, well below his total of 1,041 from his breakout season in 2013.

He's fourth on the team in receptions. He has 12 catches in his past five games. And he's scored only one touchdown since the season opener.

Are those the kinds of numbers the Cardinals expected from the man they were counting on to be their new go-to guy?

MORE: Get the azcentral sports Cardinals XTRA app for iPhone

In 40 career games, Floyd has caught more than six passes in a game just twice and has only five 100-yard games to his name. He's still waiting for his first multi-touchdown game.

Ask coach Bruce Arians if this is what he expected out of Floyd and he says "yes." Then he gets a little cranky.

"About right where he's at. I mean, he's doing a great job," Arians said. "People want to put numbers on guys and all those numbers are for Pro Bowls. We don't give a (expletive) about Pro Bowls. It's just about winning games and going to Super Bowls.

"He's having a great year and he's playing really well. I don't really care about numbers."

If the numbers are eating at Floyd, he isn't saying so, publicly. Of course, he spends only about 15 seconds in the locker room every week during media availability, so it's nearly impossible to get his opinion.

But veteran Ted Ginn Jr. spoke for all the wide receivers on Friday when he said personal stats don't matter to this surging Cardinals team.

"Listen, I've been on this journey for a while; this is not my first rodeo," Ginn said. "When you're winning, man, and you're 7-1 like us, it's nothing about stats. It's just about the 'W.' You play this game for so many years and you get stats, but sometimes you don't get wins. For us to get wins, that really compensates stats."

And everybody is on board with that? Every player has bought in to that?

"Man, if you didn't buy in, we wouldn't be 7-1," Ginn said. "If there was some type of conflict, you'd hear about it in the media. But for us to be going on the road that we're going on, it just commends the men that we have in this locker room."

MORE: Cardinals nose tackle Dan Williams starting to pull his weight

Ginn said it starts with Fitzgerald, always the good soldier. The Cardinals' career leader in every receiving category, Fitzgerald has never complained when the ball hasn't come his way, which was the case early in the season.

He kept saying and doing all the right things.

"For him to compensate with the team and let other guys get balls, I mean, why would a guy like me or anybody else underneath him have a problem?" Ginn said. "We go out and we just play.

"... We're there for wins and victories."

Backup quarterback Drew Stanton said the Cardinals don't have any "divas" on the roster. Well, not really.

"Larry's a diva. Don't get it twisted. Larry is a diva in every way. He just does a good job of covering it up," Stanton said, tongue in cheek. "No, it's really nice because I think it's a testament to all the guys they've brought in here. The young guys that have come in just continue to work."

MORE: Cardinals vs. St. Louis Rams scouting report

Stanton said Floyd is one of them.

"Michael's a rising star in this league," he said. "He puts the work in. He wants to get better. He's doing all the stuff he needs to do. And he's starting to get a real good feel for this offense, too."

The numbers may not show it, but you know what Arians thinks of numbers.

I just dropped him for Justin Hunter
Starting Hunter over Floyd takes guts. Not saying it is wrong. I dropped Welker for Hunter this week but don't have the nerve to actually put Hunter in my line up. Yet.
It does but considering I am in 9th placeout of 10 teams and last in receiving points, I really don't have any better options. Plus, Hunter got 10 targets from Mettenberg last timeout and Floyd hasn't sniffed 10 targets all year.
Well Mr Beans, we are right back where we started. We have nothing in either Floyd or Hunter.

I have him in a dynasty league and had to start with guys off on bye week...that guy owes us big time, but in no way shape or form do I trust him moving forward. He has elite talent, but that offense has too many weapons

I own him in dynasty and he's on my bench this week after burning every game this season.

I'm at the point where I'm starting to wish bodily harm on him

Omg. I hold him for 11 weeks, start him often, finally dropped him yesterday (for the Browns, ugh) and TODAY he goes off!

Fml

I have him in a dynasty league and had to start with guys off on bye week...that guy owes us big time, but in no way shape or form do I trust him moving forward. He has elite talent, but that offense has too many weapons
Fitz is a near certainty to be back so that opens a big opportunity in the offense for him next year.

and he rewards the truly dedicated Floyed owners ... and the disinterested owners that don't make waiver moves...

Users who are viewing this thread