What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (8 Viewers)

I don't think there's been one happy post-wedding "consummation" this series except for Tommen/Margaery, and that came and went rather quickly (pun intended).

1. Red Wedding sure didn't end well for the Stark guy.

2. Tyrion/Sansa was uneventful except for one of the best lines of the series ("And so my watch begins..." -Tyrion)

3. Joffrey/Margaery never got to happen because Joffrey drank some killer purple drank.

4. Drogo/Dany was disturbing.

5. Ramsey/Sansa was even more disturbing than Drogo/Dany.

Not counting Robb/Valyrian chick because there wasn't a real "wedding" there.
Don't agree 100% with this, but can we at least agree that it seems like GRRM might have issues with his wife? ;)
GRRM's world seems to revolve around food, female abuse, swords, food, death, and food.

I don't think there's been one happy post-wedding "consummation" this series except for Tommen/Margaery, and that came and went rather quickly (pun intended).

2. Tyrion/Sansa was uneventful except for one of the best lines of the series ("And so my watch begins..." -Tyrion)

3. Joffrey/Margaery never got to happen because Joffrey drank some killer purple drank.

Don't agree 100% with this, but can we at least agree that it seems like GRRM might have issues with his wife? ;)
GRRM's world seems to revolve around food, female abuse, swords, food, death, and food.
He is a man of simple pleasures.

I stopped reading six pages ago because I didn't feel like discussing rape, so I jumped forward to the last page . . . to see that we're still discussing rape.

Oh well, if you can't beat 'em . . .

Obviously Ramsay was going to rape Sansa and be even more horrible about it than most rapists are. Anything else would have been out of character.

The rape had to happen. Should it have happened off-screen?

Why? To protect people's delicate sensibilities? Hmm, yeah, okay, I can see an argument for that, actually. For any women who've actually had any kind of rapey experiences, it's probably pretty terrible to watch something that brings back the memories. Maybe it wouldn't have been quite so bad off-screen.

There's more merit to that argument than I expected when I started typing that last paragraph.

But for the rest of us, the fact that the rape scene was so emotionally distressing means that it was not gratuitous. We already hated Ramsay and we already felt for Sansa, but not this much! The scene succeeded in intensifying our feelings about those characters, which makes us care more about the story, which is kind of the whole point of storytelling, I think.

There is a point where a character like Ramsay can do so many terrible things, one after the other, that we get emotionally desensitized to it; it becomes old hat; our reaction is dulled. At that point, it's gratuitous. But we weren't there yet before that scene. JMHO.
:goodposting: We should recognize, however, that not only was the scene very brief, it showed virtually nothing...virtually the entire thing DID hapen off-screen!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been behind a couple of episodes, and normally peruse the varsity thread anyways, and am just seeing this epic discussion now. I have no idea why this is causing controversy. It was disturbing, but not something I expected to cause an uproar. Does anyone remember the scene in season 1 where Khal Drago is banging Dany doggystyle? It's much more graphic as you actually see her as she's crying and she's getting rammed. This didn't even seem like new ground to me. I cringed, sure, but that's because it was a cringeworthy scene.

Red wedding wasnt Rob Starks wedding

What about Tommen/Margaery? Tommen was pretty happy and again and again.

rif

rif
raf

But for the rest of us, the fact that the rape scene was so emotionally distressing means that it was not gratuitous. We already hated Ramsay and we already felt for Sansa, but not this much! The scene succeeded in intensifying our feelings about those characters,
I'm not sure it does make Sansa more sympathetic... maybe just more pathetic. It seemed she was finally starting to be more than just a pawn for others to play with and this scene undoes a lot of that.

I would have rather her ride him like a stallion, at least then you could have the feeling she was truly owning this new path she's gone down.

But for the rest of us, the fact that the rape scene was so emotionally distressing means that it was not gratuitous. We already hated Ramsay and we already felt for Sansa, but not this much! The scene succeeded in intensifying our feelings about those characters,
I'm not sure it does make Sansa more sympathetic... maybe just more pathetic. It seemed she was finally starting to be more than just a pawn for others to play with and this scene undoes a lot of that.

I would have rather her ride him like a stallion, at least then you could have the feeling she was truly owning this new path she's gone down.
That's the difference between her experience and Dany's. While Dany started out disliking it she soon came to the realization of the power she had over men.

I'm not sure it does make Sansa more sympathetic... maybe just more pathetic. It seemed she was finally starting to be more than just a pawn for others to play with and this scene undoes a lot of that. I would have rather her ride him like a stallion, at least then you could have the feeling she was truly owning this new path she's gone down.
I agree, and it was like someone said: what was the point of even introducing "black dress" Sansa if nothing was shown Sunday of her even slightly playing the game? I guess she yelled at one of Ramsey's girls, but showed nothing after that- her even trying to manipulate Ramsey, a change to a look of anger, etc.

I think it is just more and more people questioning the writer's ability to veer off from GRRM in a good way. The end scene feel like a culmination of that feeling. This subpar season is eroding a lot of people's faith, let's hope they get back on track.

I hope part of this is just great story telling. It's not like we needed more reason to hate Ramsey but this puts him in rare heal status. It's ridiculous. It's the iron sheik and volkov lighting a U.S. Flag on fire. You know they lose in the end (or so I hope) so it makes the moment more special.

I realize this, genius.

Read the first sentence.

I realize this, genius.
then why did you mention it as part of your wedding consummation points?

shadyridr said:
Brady Marino said:
shadyridr said:

I realize this, genius.
Did I ever say it was Robb Stark's wedding? No, I said it was a "Stark guy", meaning that it wasn't Robb Stark, but some other Stark follower (FWIW, it was Edmure Tully, a Stark follower and younger brother to Catelyn STARK). Otherwise I would have said "Robb Stark" then.

Comprehension: Pass It On!

shadyridr said:
Brady Marino said:
shadyridr said:

I realize this, genius.
Did I ever say it was Robb Stark's wedding? No, I said it was a "Stark guy", meaning that it wasn't Robb Stark, but some other Stark follower (FWIW, it was Edmure Tully, a Stark follower and younger brother to Catelyn STARK). Otherwise I would have said "Robb Stark" then. Comprehension: Pass It On!
so it wasnt a stark ;)

shadyridr said:
Brady Marino said:
shadyridr said:

I realize this, genius.
Did I ever say it was Robb Stark's wedding? No, I said it was a "Stark guy", meaning that it wasn't Robb Stark, but some other Stark follower (FWIW, it was Edmure Tully, a Stark follower and younger brother to Catelyn STARK). Otherwise I would have said "Robb Stark" then. Comprehension: Pass It On!
so it wasnt a stark ;)
You're good.

Christo said:
Northern Voice said:

That's the difference between her experience and Dany's. While Dany started out disliking it she soon came to the realization of the power she had over men.
Yea, eventually. But during the Dany scene she hadn't gotten there yet and was none too happy about it. Just like Sansa now.

KarmaPolice said:
Northern Voice said:
I'm not sure it does make Sansa more sympathetic... maybe just more pathetic. It seemed she was finally starting to be more than just a pawn for others to play with and this scene undoes a lot of that.I would have rather her ride him like a stallion, at least then you could have the feeling she was truly owning this new path she's gone down.
I agree, and it was like someone said: what was the point of even introducing "black dress" Sansa if nothing was shown Sunday of her even slightly playing the game? I guess she yelled at one of Ramsey's girls, but showed nothing after that- her even trying to manipulate Ramsey, a change to a look of anger, etc.

I think it is just more and more people questioning the writer's ability to veer off from GRRM in a good way. The end scene feel like a culmination of that feeling. This subpar season is eroding a lot of people's faith, let's hope they get back on track.
Sure, but she was a virgin, dude. It wasn't like she was some sexually experienced 25 year old who knew how to use sex to manipulate men.

I've never been a 16 year old girl, but I've got to imagine that even if you're pretty badass losing your virginity roughly to someone you hate has to do a number on you.

Am i remembering correctly that they have signed on for a 6th season already?
I thought 7 was the generally accepted run. I hope it's that way. We need to start working toward the endgame here.
Gotcha. Thought i heard they want 7, but have officially signed up for 6. Just hoping the decreasing viewers doesn't effect that and prohibit them from telling the story they want to tell.

I thought 7 was the generally accepted run. I hope it's that way. We need to start working toward the endgame here.
Gotcha. Thought i heard they want 7, but have officially signed up for 6. Just hoping the decreasing viewers doesn't effect that and prohibit them from telling the story they want to tell.
:lmao:
All I am saying is if the ratings and grumbling continue it might have an effect going forward. Cancelled? Hell no, but if it makes them go 7 seasons not 8, go 8 episodes not 10, etc....

So apparently they've guaranteed seven. HBO wants more but the guys running the show don't. Some speculations that a split, super sized season 7 is the endgame.

:lmao:
All I am saying is if the ratings and grumbling continue it might have an effect going forward. Cancelled? Hell no, but if it makes them go 7 seasons not 8, go 8 episodes not 10, etc....
HBO wants as many seasons as possible. The showrunners want 7. GRRM wants 7 plus a movie finale

Ok, that came a little quicker than expected (cercei)
In a show with dragons and many faced gods and etc the most unbelievable thing going is a few score of religious fanatics took over "the new kings landing" and started locking up some elite players with impunity.

Users who are viewing this thread