What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (6 Viewers)

FreeBaGeL said:
B-Deep said:
Here's my thought

I have circles of friends with all manner of experience in this awesome fictional world, some have read the books, some only watch the shows, some are behind on the books, some are behiond on the shows

Real life, chat, facebook, twitter, this is the only place i have seen the readers vs viewers feud.

readers generally don't want to spoil things for viewers, viewers generally tend to appreciate it when a reader gives them info the show may have glossed over

EVERYWHERE but here this show and these books bring people together as something they have in common

how the #### can this place get it so backwards?

I assume now the responses will be finger pointing and feuding and name calling

you should all look inside though, something is horribly wrong with the people in this place that a fictional work that we all love can somehow divide us rather than unite us

It is a shame, I am ashamed and each of you should be as well

I was going to make a Song of Ice and Fire type statement here to illustrate my point, but if i pull information from unapproved sources i'll become part of the problem, so it is safer to just not bring GoT into this post at all, this post in a GoT thread by someone who loves the show and the books

think about how sad that is

My friends across communication methods look forward to hearing from people experiencing this for the first time in any medium, we relish bringing others into our nerdy obsession. I expect dooshbaggery and division in politics and religion threads, I sincerely would have thought this could be a topic that would be immune from that

silly me

I should just shun the lot of you and take the black.
This is pretty funny coming from a guy that's gone out of his way to stir stuff up on the book vs non-book front.
i did, i think the entire feud is ridiculous on both ends

but alas, i have been asked to leave. Better to keep the walls up then try and find a common ground

enjoy your thread TV folks, i hope the segregation makes it better

I'll still read as I genuinely enjoy the perspective of people seeing this for the first time on tv, i just won't interact

I am, after all, an outsider, not to be trusted

I'll just sit here quietly in the back of the bus

I did, i think the entire feud is ridiculous on both ends

but alas, i have been asked to leave. Better to keep the walls up then try and find a common ground

enjoy your thread TV folks, i hope the segregation makes it better

I'll still read as I genuinely enjoy the perspective of people seeing this for the first time on tv, i just won't interact

I am, after all, an outsider, not to be trusted

I'll just sit here quietly in the back of the bus
Don't let them wear you down Rosa.

I have a dream that one day this board will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all posters are created equal.

I have a dream that one day on the FFA, book readers and non-book readers will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the FFA, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

At this point I can only assume Jon bailed to warn the rest of the NW of the impending invasion. It was his chance to GTFO and took it. Maybe he never really liked Ygritte all that much. Also, kind of puts all that #### the worg was saying on it's head. He talked about how people are only loyal when it is convenient and Ygritte knew that , but Jon didn't. Perhaps, it was really the other way around.

biggamer3 said:
At this point I think a proper Vegas style Death odds for remaining characters are in order. I will take a stab at it, the death has to occur before the final season, whenever that will be since i figure everyone will likely be killed by the final season except for the lone Throne holder, just my opinion. Tyrion + 500Joffrey - 1000Jamie +300Cersei -200Tywin -300Kaleeshi- +2000Arya + 3000Sansa +800Jon Snow+ 500Sam +500Yigrette+200Stannis -200Mellisandre +700Bran +10000 Not sure about the rest. Which bets you guys taking if this was offered and you had no knowledge of books? I would obviously bet the house on Joffrey being killed and on Tywin being killed. Those two have to go IMO, too many things going in their favor now, the tide has to turn.
Have to go? Makes it more likely they live. There are 3 quotes from the show that almost seemed to break some meta wall and be directed at viewers:1. When you play the GoT, you win or you die. 2. In case you haven't been paying attention, this doesn't have a happy ending.3. The worst ones always live.

biggamer3 said:
Was listening to the Grantland Pop Culture podcast, and the two dudes (both non-book readers) mentioned something, i will put it in spoiler, though its not really a spoiler.

They said they thought that the Theon torturer was for sure Bolton's son since something about an X was featured in the Theon scenes and apparently the X is their sign or whatever. Does anyone know anything about the X, i dont recall it from watching the episodes or it having any connection to Bolton.
Has to be. The X is Bolton's sigil. Bolton sent his ******* to get Theon. The ******* has the same horn that was tormenting Theon when Winterfell was surrounded. This means the Bolton's turned on Robb awhile ago. This has been in the works since S2.

Preview is up

Looks like they will touch on virtually all the plotlines. If there was a major character not shown of any consequence I missed it. No white walkers that I saw. They set it up to make it look like one or both of the stark boys has gotten picked up by someone flying blue flags from south of the wall, maybe. Oh, and dragons are back. Though that could easily be the cut out to end the season imo.

So the odds of some white walker/wildling/castleblack showdown is probably off the table for e10 just based on how much ground they have to cover.

Preview is up

Looks like they will touch on virtually all the plotlines. If there was a major character not shown of any consequence I missed it. No white walkers that I saw. They set it up to make it look like one or both of the stark boys has gotten picked up by someone flying blue flags from south of the wall, maybe. Oh, and dragons are back. Though that could easily be the cut out to end the season imo.

So the odds of some white walker/wildling/castleblack showdown is probably off the table for e10 just based on how much ground they have to cover.
?

Preview is up

?Yeah. I actually missed one character watching that again that hasn't been seen this whole season. The Greyjoy sister.

Preview is up

Yeah. I actually missed one character watching that again that hasn't been seen this whole season. The Greyjoy sister.

Yeah I saw that. Do we have our second leech worm death incoming?

One thing i love about this show is how seemingly minor characters become so relevant... Roose bolton, walder frey, etc

I figure by season 5 Locke will be the new king or something

jdoggydogg said:
I made fun of all those fans sobbing and threatening to never watch the show again after that Red Wedding fallout. But I must say, I feel like I am really grieving for the Starks this week :bag:
Agree. We've lost fictional heroes...but it's a first for me to then lose the new hero you thought would revenge your lost hero.

One thing that bugged me about the Red Wedding, and I am sure I missed a scene or some dialogue, but had a question afterwards: Who knew that Talisa was pregnant? I could only remember the scene in the tent when she was naked and writing letters when she told Robb. Then they talked about it at the wedding. Long story short, I thought it was weird that they stabbed her in the belly as if they were going after Robb's heir directly - WTF would they know that?
Heh. Maybe it was playing off of Frey saying, early in the episode, that he can always tell what's going on underneath a woman's clothes. Could also have been paying attention to their body language when Robb and Talisa were talking about naming the babby Eddard, or maybe they read the letter Talisa sent a couple episodes ago, somehow. Frey X-ray vision seems more likely.
I figure Roose Bolton knew (he was around Robb/Talisa enough, and probably had his own operatives circulating when he wasn't there) and informed the Freys and possibly the Lannisters.

One thing that bugged me about the Red Wedding, and I am sure I missed a scene or some dialogue, but had a question afterwards: Who knew that Talisa was pregnant? I could only remember the scene in the tent when she was naked and writing letters when she told Robb. Then they talked about it at the wedding. Long story short, I thought it was weird that they stabbed her in the belly as if they were going after Robb's heir directly - WTF would they know that?
Heh. Maybe it was playing off of Frey saying, early in the episode, that he can always tell what's going on underneath a woman's clothes. Could also have been paying attention to their body language when Robb and Talisa were talking about naming the babby Eddard, or maybe they read the letter Talisa sent a couple episodes ago, somehow. Frey X-ray vision seems more likely.
I figure Roose Bolton knew (he was around Robb/Talisa enough, and probably had his own operatives circulating when he wasn't there) and informed the Freys and possibly the Lannisters.
wasn't roose at harrenhall or on the way there during that timeframe?

wasn't roose at harrenhall or on the way there during that timeframe?
Seemed like he spent time in both places - and like I said, he probably had operatives in Robb's camp keeping an eye on things even when Roose wasn't there in person. Somebody in the Stark camp was getting some intel out to Tywin as well (as they showed Tywin receiving it in prior episodes). Don't forget Talisa's letters either - she could have put the info in there herself and had it fall into the wrong hands.

1. I don't think we've heard the end of the robbwife storyline. Maybe her family comes back to join the fight. Maybe she was a spy for the lannisters the whole time and got done dirty. Maybe she's related to the people who the kingdom owes all that money to. But there's no way she has all these mysteries around her and she just dies and that's the end of that. Just because she's dead doesn't mean she doesn't have a part to play in this still.

2. anquan bolton, robbs dumb uncle, and the dumb uncles uncle are all under the same roof right now. So curious what happens here.

3. Dragamama is going to bang that dude and the khaleesi guy is going to be super pissed about it. Lots of drama with those three angling to be her favorite. Grey worm is the only one being cool about all this.

4. Arya and the hound are going to become bffs soon just like jamie and brian did. He's going to teach her by accident at first and then on purpose and then she's going to save his bacon somewhere along the way and he's going to develop that weird respect thing for her that the blonde haired blue eyed three handed couple did and she's going to reevaluate.

5. Bran is going to find the three eyed raven and its going to peck his eyes out and then he dies. ####### george.

6. Ricardo riccon is going to be the stark to end all starks and to end all lannisters. He goes back and murders all of them then bangs his redhead sister and its on like donkey kong as they rule the kingdom in weird sibling love like the people before them

Well, he is a eunuch.

3. Dragamama is going to bang that dude and the khaleesi guy is going to be super pissed about it. Lots of drama with those three angling to be her favorite. Grey worm is the only one being cool about all this.

I'm stuck with who to root for now. The Starks seem dimished to the point of never being a formidable opponent to the Lannisters - although we know that will likely change. Stannis is a jerk. Not a big fan of Khaleesi character.

I guess I am rooting for Jamie - presuming he's turned a new leaf.
Winter is coming

GRRM tonight on Conan.
That was awesome! Thanks for the heads up.The best part was when he talked about having a discussion with three actors and was thinking "they don't know it, but they're all dead." And went on to exclaim "they'd know if they'd read the books! lol

GRRM tonight on Conan.
That was awesome! Thanks for the heads up.The best part was when he talked about having a discussion with three actors and was thinking "they don't know it, but they're all dead." And went on to exclaim "they'd know if they'd read the books! lol
Lena Headey (queen Cersei) was on Conan last night. She was asked about if she knows how long her character lives and she said she doesnt, she is just happy she is alive as of now. I call BS on that, of course each actor knows if their character dies along the way and when. How hard would it be for one of them to post on twitter or something asking fans when they go. I heard that the actress who played the Moma Stark signed a 3 year deal since that were her whole storyline.

jdoggydogg said:
I made fun of all those fans sobbing and threatening to never watch the show again after that Red Wedding fallout.

But I must say, I feel like I am really grieving for the Starks this week
Agree. We've lost fictional heroes...but it's a first for me to then lose the new hero you thought would revenge your lost hero.
Exactly. We figured that the Lannisters would pay some day. But we all wanted Rob or Catlin to be there when it happened.

I am sure they are all trained to say they dont know. Maybe she bites it on Sunday. Something bad for the Lannisters to counter something bad for the Starks.

It is like what was pointed out in the accidental spoiler post.

If she says she knows when she dies, that could be a spoiler that her death is already written.

Interviewers need to read FFA. When talking to the actors, the books dont exist!

B-Deep said:
Here's my thought

I have circles of friends with all manner of experience in this awesome fictional world, some have read the books, some only watch the shows, some are behind on the books, some are behiond on the shows

Real life, chat, facebook, twitter, this is the only place i have seen the readers vs viewers feud.

readers generally don't want to spoil things for viewers, viewers generally tend to appreciate it when a reader gives them info the show may have glossed over

EVERYWHERE but here this show and these books bring people together as something they have in common

how the #### can this place get it so backwards?

I assume now the responses will be finger pointing and feuding and name calling

you should all look inside though, something is horribly wrong with the people in this place that a fictional work that we all love can somehow divide us rather than unite us

It is a shame, I am ashamed and each of you should be as well

I was going to make a Song of Ice and Fire type statement here to illustrate my point, but if i pull information from unapproved sources i'll become part of the problem, so it is safer to just not bring GoT into this post at all, this post in a GoT thread by someone who loves the show and the books

think about how sad that is

My friends across communication methods look forward to hearing from people experiencing this for the first time in any medium, we relish bringing others into our nerdy obsession. I expect dooshbaggery and division in politics and religion threads, I sincerely would have thought this could be a topic that would be immune from that

silly me

I should just shun the lot of you and take the black.

So in episide 8, the Red Witch took the leeches filled with King's Blood and burnt it while Stannis spoke three names: the Usurper Robb Stark, the usurper Daddy Greyjoy and the usurper Joffrey Baratheon. One episode later and the first name mentioned is dead. Coincidence? Will Daddy Greyjoy die next? Joffrey too?
I caught this during the episode and one thing to keep in mind is that Joffrey is Not a Baratheon so the curse/spell might not have an effect on him.
Cersei was a baratheon by marriage, so her offspring would also be Baratheons (at least in name).

So in episide 8, the Red Witch took the leeches filled with King's Blood and burnt it while Stannis spoke three names: the Usurper Robb Stark, the usurper Daddy Greyjoy and the usurper Joffrey Baratheon. One episode later and the first name mentioned is dead. Coincidence? Will Daddy Greyjoy die next? Joffrey too?
I caught this during the episode and one thing to keep in mind is that Joffrey is Not a Baratheon so the curse/spell might not have an effect on him.
Cersei was a baratheon by marriage, so her offspring would also be Baratheons (at least in name).
Robb was a Baratheon?

Robb was a Baratheon?
What the heck does Robb being a Baratheon or not have to do with Joffrey's last name?

Robb was a Baratheon?
What the heck does Robb being a Baratheon or not have to do with Joffrey's last name?
The speculation was that Joffrey might be immune to the curse/spell since he is only a Baratheon in name only. Robb had neither the name or the blood. If the curse/spell was limited to Baratheon blood, Robb should have skated. A quick glance at Twitter tells me that isn't the case.

Robb was a Baratheon?
The speculation was that Joffrey might be immune to the curse/spell since he is only a Baratheon in name only. Robb had neither the name or the blood. If the curse/spell was limited to Baratheon blood, Robb should have skated. A quick glance at Twitter tells me that isn't the case.
I don't think he was saying the curse was limited to Baratheon blood (that wouldn't make any sense as obviously the other two listed aren't Baratheons either). I think he was saying she cursed some guy named Joffrey Baratheon when this guy is really Joffrey Lannister, so Lord of Light demons are gonna be all "wtf this little blond #### isn't actually Joffrey Baratheon that you requested so your murder request is now null and void".

Last edited by a moderator:
My speculation arises precisely from the fact that Stannis specifically called out three people by name and one of those names is factually incorrect based on parentage. Having watched way too many movies with curses involved I know that according to formula the wrong name called in a spell can queer the deal. Of course, GoT is nothing close to formulaic so I'm likely barking up a wrong tree.

Perhaps the book people can tell me if I'm right or not.

Robb was a Baratheon?
I don't think he was saying the curse was limited to Baratheon blood (that wouldn't make any sense as obviously the other two listed aren't Baratheons either). I think he was saying she cursed some guy named Joffrey Baratheon when this guy is really Joffrey Lannister, so Lord of Light demons are gonna be all "wtf this little blond #### isn't actually Joffrey Baratheon that you requested so your murder request is now null and void".
C'mon, this is semantics. It's a curse, it doesn't care about nonexistent loopholes The God of Light isn't running a blood test and background check on people before carrying out curses. Joffrey's legal name is Barathian, nobody is walking around calling him Joffrey Lannister. Stop being silly.

Robb was a Baratheon?
C'mon, this is semantics. It's a curse, it doesn't care about nonexistent loopholes The God of Light isn't running a blood test and background check on people before carrying out curses.Joffrey's legal name is Barathian, nobody is walking around calling him Joffrey Lannister. Stop being silly.
The most annoying thing about clarifying a point made by someone else that people were misunderstanding? People start thinking that you were the one making the point...

Don't shoot the messenger.

FreeBaGeL, on 06 Jun 2013 - 10:08, said:I don't think he was saying the curse was limited to Baratheon blood (that wouldn't make any sense as obviously the other two listed aren't Baratheons either). I think he was saying she cursed some guy named Joffrey Baratheon when this guy is really Joffrey Lannister, so Lord of Light demons are gonna be all "wtf this little blond #### isn't actually Joffrey Baratheon that you requested so your murder request is now null and void".
Somewhere offscreen, Robert's uncle's cousin's sister's daughter's nephew dies a horrible, horrible death.

Robb was a Baratheon?
C'mon, this is semantics. It's a curse, it doesn't care about nonexistent loopholes The God of Light isn't running a blood test and background check on people before carrying out curses.Joffrey's legal name is Barathian, nobody is walking around calling him Joffrey Lannister. Stop being silly.
The most annoying thing about clarifying a point made by someone else that people were misunderstanding? People start thinking that you were the one making the point... Don't shoot the messenger.
Yeah, I was a lazy scroller/quoter there. Sorry, I'm on my phone.

4. Arya and the hound are going to become bffs soon just like jamie and brian did. He's going to teach her by accident at first and then on purpose and then she's going to save his bacon somewhere along the way and he's going to develop that weird respect thing for her that the blonde haired blue eyed three handed couple did and she's going to reevaluate.
not a chance in Westeros. Arya is gonna become a cold hard #####.

They do have an issue though. They are committed to airing seasons on an annual basis. If she is going to grow up soon she better get a move on it or they will have to re-cast the part. I mean I guess a 16 y.o. baddass girl is somewhat plausible given what we know, but she seems committed to being more a aggro rather than a magic/range fighter.

They have this problem in reverse with Sansa. They are repping her to be 14 when she's 17 IRL and her looks are getting more mature very quickly.

I could see it. If she's going to grow up to become the Boba Fett of Westeros she'll need further training, who better than the hound. She can learn all she can from him and then go train under the shapeshifter for a while. That's a pretty good, well-balanced trio of mentors when you include her first teacher, Syrio, in there. Each one with a different, valuable skillset that she'll need to become Arya Fett... Or even IG-Arya8 for that matter.

I could see it. If she's going to grow up to become the Boba Fett of Westeros she'll need further training, who better than the hound.She can learn all she can from him and then go train under the shapeshifter for a while. That's a pretty good, well-balanced trio of mentors when you include her first teacher, Syrio, in there. Each one with a different, valuable skillset that she'll need to become Arya Fett... Or even IG-Arya8 for that matter.
There are those out there that think syrio = shapeshifter. They cite the evidence that there is nothing to suggest he actually died and some other evidence that the shapeshifter led on to, but I forget all the details. I wouldn't have dreamed bring that up in the other thread given the reactions it would have brought out from "them"

She sure blew it with her 3 wishes though. She was like giving icon the vig in WW.

Can shape-shifters change size? IIRC Jaqen and Syrio were the same size....Jaqen was a good size to pull off his killings....but if Arya is tiny, does it matter what she can change into? I guess the element of surprise would still be big.

I could see it. If she's going to grow up to become the Boba Fett of Westeros she'll need further training, who better than the hound.She can learn all she can from him and then go train under the shapeshifter for a while. That's a pretty good, well-balanced trio of mentors when you include her first teacher, Syrio, in there. Each one with a different, valuable skillset that she'll need to become Arya Fett... Or even IG-Arya8 for that matter.
There are those out there that think syrio = shapeshifter. They cite the evidence that there is nothing to suggest he actually died and some other evidence that the shapeshifter led on to, but I forget all the details. I wouldn't have dreamed bring that up in the other thread given the reactions it would have brought out from "them" She sure blew it with her 3 wishes though. She was like giving icon the vig in WW.
Well I think her first wish was like calling BS on him. The other Lannister was to save her life as he had that letter and was going to rat her out. The 3rd was a bargain to GTFO out Harrenhall which saved her life as well.

Users who are viewing this thread