What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (4 Viewers)

So is John Snow going beyond the wall to try and kill Mance Radernation? Why wouldn't he take his sword? Maybe he is going to try and convince them he is still a Wild Thing.
That part makes no sense to me, unless he reunites somehow with Bran and both dogs.
So you think Mance's army would let a crow with a sword get near Mance?

Can they even use that anchor again? It seemed like they had to break two seals to drop it. How hard is it going to be to reload that thing before the next night considering half the night's watch died. Or are there more of those anchors ready to go.

Sure seems like they exhausted the majority of their defenses already.
They hoisted it back up after they dropped it.

Can they even use that anchor again? It seemed like they had to break two seals to drop it. How hard is it going to be to reload that thing before the next night considering half the night's watch died. Or are there more of those anchors ready to go.

Don't see why they couldn't bring that anchor up in rather quick order. Rope, pulleys, a little elbow grease and bam ANCHOR SLICEXPLODE!!1!!!!!111
Dolorous Edd ordered them to crank it back up right after it happened.
Book reader. :rolleyes:

Don't see why they couldn't bring that anchor up in rather quick order. Rope, pulleys, a little elbow grease and bam ANCHOR SLICEXPLODE!!1!!!!!111
Dolorous Edd ordered them to crank it back up right after it happened.
Book reader. :rolleyes:
So?

So is John Snow going beyond the wall to try and kill Mance Radernation? Why wouldn't he take his sword? Maybe he is going to try and convince them he is still a Wild Thing.
That part makes no sense to me, unless he reunites somehow with Bran and both dogs.
Does Mance know that Snow betrayed them?

good point

Wait, there's a guy named Dolores?
dol·or·ous/ˈdɒl
thinsp.png
ər
thinsp.png
əs, ˈdoʊ
thinsp.png
lər-/ Show Spelled [dol-er-uh
thinsp.png
thinsp.png
s, doh-ler-] Show IPA
adjective full of, expressing, or causing pain or sorrow; grievous; mournful: a dolorous melody; dolorous news.

Kind of amusing that the Knight's Watch simply watched that giant take his sweet time to punch through that metal wall and open it up. Like, maybe you guys could drop a rock on him? Something?
I thought about that too. My explanation parallels that justifying the flaming arrows - hard to see one dude 700 feet away in the middle of the night in the heat of battle.

Also didn't know why the team sent to secure the gate against said giant didn't have any ranged weapons to shoot through the bars of the inner gate. That might have helped.
They commented that the giant was shot with 20 arrows already and they had no effect.
Like Mongo, it would have just made him angry.

good point
Doesn't matter. Even if he pretents to still be one of them, there's no way his lieutenants would let Snow get anywhere near Mance with a weapon. Snow would have to not only convincingly argue how he was able to get through the Black Tower camp (and through the gate), but also why, when he's the most likely to betray Mance (being a former crow), was he the only one of the whole group which got over the wall to come back to Mance. Difficult to even imagine Snow arguing why butter if better than jam.

Pretty sure the dude spying on the Night Watchmen, via the owl, would have seen Jon Snow ...

Kind of amusing that the Knight's Watch simply watched that giant take his sweet time to punch through that metal wall and open it up. Like, maybe you guys could drop a rock on him? Something?
I thought about that too. My explanation parallels that justifying the flaming arrows - hard to see one dude 700 feet away in the middle of the night in the heat of battle.

Also didn't know why the team sent to secure the gate against said giant didn't have any ranged weapons to shoot through the bars of the inner gate. That might have helped.
They commented that the giant was shot with 20 arrows already and they had no effect.
Like Mongo, it would have just made him angry.
Mongo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GoT giant!

Pretty sure the dude spying on the Night Watchmen, via the owl, would have seen Jon Snow ...
That dude is dead.

In a world where multiple people can see through the eyes of animals they really should kill every bird that just happens to be looking over their battle organization before a big invasion.

That dude is dead.
That dude told Mance it was time to go...

That dude is dead.
Was Mance in last night's show?

I thought that dude was in the raiding party with ginger minge.

Last edited by a moderator:
That dude is dead.
No, he was with the group south of the wall. They're all dead.

Why the #### would there be a gate through the wall? If there's something bad enough that you need to built a wall that big to keep out then don't build a ####ing gate through it.

Why the #### would there be a gate through the wall? If there's something bad enough that you need to built a wall that big to keep out then don't build a ####ing gate through it.
also, so they can ride out and beat up on any wildings attempting to dig under the wall, ect.

That dude is dead.
+1 Pretty sure I saw him running around the field with a flaming arrow up his ####.

yet 5 dudes with swords that amount to toothpicks to the giant were able to take him down.

This. I realize we need to suspend disbelief for a story that has giants and dragons. But if you're going to somehow build an ice wall that's over 700 ft. tall and over 300 miles long, it sort of defeats the entire purpose if you also include a ground level door for it. The tunnel should be higher up the wall and have an elevator, just like they do inside the wall.

It's also makes no sense for the enemy to send any troops up the wall instead of attacking the tunnel with everything they've got.

This. I realize we need to suspend disbelief for a story that has giants and dragons. But if you're going to somehow build an ice wall that's over 700 ft. tall and over 300 miles long, it sort of defeats the entire purpose if you also include a ground level door for it. The tunnel should be higher up the wall and have an elevator, just like they do inside the wall.

It's also makes no sense for the enemy to send any troops up the wall instead of attacking the tunnel with everything they've got.
There are a few problems with attempting to open the gate and attack through there.

First, the Crows could just continue to drop the bombs on anyone who attempted to open the gate. Eventually you may be able to break the gate, but at what cost. 5,000 men. 10,000 men. More? The wildlings aren't some close knit group. They could break at any time. Losing that many men to open a gate would be devastating.

Second, didn't you see 300? If you attack in that tunnel, your numbers mean nothing because the tunnels are narrow. Because the wildlings have no idea how many crows there are guarding the gate, you probably don't want to take that chance.

Third, because Manse was a former Crow, he had to suspect the possibility of them freezing the tunnel (as Jon Snow suggested). So you lose, a ton of men trying to open the outer gate only to find solid ice waiting behind.

In a world where multiple people can see through the eyes of animals they really should kill every bird that just happens to be looking over their battle organization before a big invasion.
I said this exact same thing while watching it. Why arn't they just killing every owl/bird that lands close to the wall?

They said something like "Hoist it back up!" which implied to me they could use it again. It was encased in ice but there seemed to be a trigger mechanism that had to be release once the ice was gone.
Missed that part, thanks.

I thought about that too. My explanation parallels that justifying the flaming arrows - hard to see one dude 700 feet away in the middle of the night in the heat of battle.Also didn't know why the team sent to secure the gate against said giant didn't have any ranged weapons to shoot through the bars of the inner gate. That might have helped.
yet 5 dudes with swords that amount to toothpicks to the giant were able to take him down.
everyone knows you have to be at least level 40 with level 50 two handed to beat a giant.

I said this exact same thing while watching it. Why arn't they just killing every owl/bird that lands close to the wall?
I think most people don't believe wargs exist.

I think most people don't believe wargs exist.
what about banks?

Last night was probably the first time I felt myself thinking "jeez...is this thing almost over?" while watching GoT.

Good episode but an entire hour of LoTR-like fighting is too much.

If only Tyrion had been sent to the wall as planned. He could have just wildfired those #####es.

Last edited by a moderator:

There are a few problems with attempting to open the gate and attack through there.

First, the Crows could just continue to drop the bombs on anyone who attempted to open the gate. Eventually you may be able to break the gate, but at what cost. 5,000 men. 10,000 men. More? The wildlings aren't some close knit group. They could break at any time. Losing that many men to open a gate would be devastating.

Second, didn't you see 300? If you attack in that tunnel, your numbers mean nothing because the tunnels are narrow. Because the wildlings have no idea how many crows there are guarding the gate, you probably don't want to take that chance.

Third, because Manse was a former Crow, he had to suspect the possibility of them freezing the tunnel (as Jon Snow suggested). So you lose, a ton of men trying to open the outer gate only to find solid ice waiting behind.
Maybe Mance is pulling the old rope-a-dope and is actually riding around the Wall in an affort to pull an ol' number 6 on Castle Black?

Anyone else think Jon should've just stayed in that cave with his hot wilding woman?

I'd be all up in there right now, making little ginger babies and living off the land instead of making an unarmed death march towards an army of bad guys.

I enjoyed the cinematics but there are other storylines that are more interesting to me. My wife and her friends all hated the episode.

Yeah, I get there's a tunnel, but there are also dudes guarding it and it's locked. I can't imagine it's the path of least resistance.

Anyone else think Jon should've just stayed in that cave with his hot wilding woman?

I'd be all up in there right now, making little ginger babies and living off the land instead of making an unarmed death march towards an army of bad guys.
After a few long hot nights her tough guy routine would start to get really old. She was really annoying, I was glad to see her go.

Mehpisode. Decent action but a whole hour with nothing but the wall fight?

Yawn.
id actually like more episodes like this, they hardly showed any lannister v stark fighting in the show, same with the sack of winterfell, and the undead army that marched at the end of season 2.

The only scene that left me flat was the candlelight chat with Maester Aemon. I didn't really get the point of that one, kinda similar to beetle chat last week. Usually when he's on screen we get some insight into important stuff, so it was a bit of a letdown when all he did was wax nostalgic about some chick. I guess I didn't really need presaging of the whole love lost thing because I knew what was coming, so maybe it did more for the pure show viewers?

Good action but didnt feel like a game of thrones episode. Good guys won, not much was resolved, nobody we cared about died, and jon snow is heading back out again.
Ygritte killed one of the hapless crows we liked, then the kid killed her, and the crow that held the gate was one of the more likable ones. In typical GoT fashion, sir Janos slynt made it through. None of these dead guys are major players, but they had likable traits.
i don't know what it is, but i think i'm the only person who really liked the head of the Thens. Just seemed like a badass, was a shame he died.

also a little whacky that he slammed jon snow's head against that blacksmith anvil and he was fine like nothing happened, but i'm nit-picking, just pissy the giants and leader of the Thens died

Users who are viewing this thread