What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (6 Viewers)

Got up to the Red Wedding. So 1 more to go in season 3.

Having now watched that scene in context.... I can honestly say that even roughly knowing what was going to happen I was still feeling some anxiety getting ready for it. Found myself thinking mother Stark needs to get herself out of there. Solid buildup to it all around. The lord of that castle needs to be flayed for that at some point in the future.

Arya is still an amazing and tragic character. I really feel badly for her at this point and what she has had to see and suffer. Moreso than Sansa. Who is growing on me a little. Tyrion is still the best character on the show all around. That guys is a phenominal actor. I honestly thought he was faking being drunk at his wedding so that he had an excuse not to bed his wife. I think that would have been a better use of the scene but still it was all very well done. Joffrey can't die soon enough.

Still not liking the Jon Snow and Nightwatch story line at all. It might just be that I enjoy the family politics and treachery more. Yeah, I heard the "you know nothing," line. Good use of it here. And overall the character I am rooting for more and more is Jamie Lannister.

IF the original story was following the War of the Roses loosely, the Lancaster family finally defeated the York family with Henry Tudor, who then married a York descendant uniting the families once and for all. If Lancaster is Lannister and York is Stark (and Tyrell is Tudor) it is shaping up that way slightly. And it would like be Arya who is the Elizabeth character who would rule finally in the golden age of Tudor's. But that is also a way off from the timeline of the story if they stick to it. Or they could have veered off of that completely now given that House Stark is basically in ruin.

Really good show. Moving into the solid A grade from the B+ I gave it early on. Almost no weaknesses at all in this thing that I can really get hung up on.

It's actually fun to read other people's thoughts as they go through the show. You've followed similar thoughts as most non-book readers did as they watched, although I liked Joffrey a lot more throughout.

It's actually fun to read other people's thoughts as they go through the show. You've followed similar thoughts as most non-book readers did as they watched, although I liked Joffrey a lot more throughout.
The kid playing that role is really doing a great job. He is making me hate him with a passion which means they are doing a good job. The way he was giddy and skipping and unable to control himself when the counsel told Tyrion that Robb Stark was dead was perfect acting for that part - he thinks he's important but he's still just a stupid child.

The War of the Roses underlying story to this has been well done. After Robb got married I went back to look at the timeline of that war and sure enough Robb's storyline was directly from history because Edward of March, who was a York, did the same thing roughly betraying the Earl of Warwick - who would be what the Lord Frey character was loosely based on. So Martin did a good job of weaving that historical undercurrent throughout his story. It actually makes me think I should read the books if he manages to pull that off throughout.

Arya Stark is an amazing character and the girl playing that role is brilliant. It keeps going back and forth between here and Tyrion for the best character and best actor.

Jamie and Cersei getting busy next to Joffrey was beyond creepy. Was really hoping he was going to slit her throat.

The 30 minute HBO show Game of Thrones - A Day In The Life is a pretty cool behind the scenes look at where/how they film.

The upcoming season was filmed in 5 countries.

On 151 sets

Has 166 cast members

Over 1000 crew members

Over 5000 extras

Last edited by a moderator:
Yankee23Fan said:
Ok so the most brutal death was crushing a guys head. Ouch.
That was the most shocking moment in the entire show for me. More so then the Red Wedding.
I did not expect him to lose since it seemed like there was more to his story yet to come. That's what makes the show so good.

I guess maybe his brother will become prominent going forward.

I've actually seen the last part of the episode where Tyrion escapes so I knew roughly what was going to happen with that fight or at least the end game of that, so maybe that took the shock value of it away. Still, it was the most brutal death in the show to date, which is saying something for a show full of brutal deaths. The character wasn't given that much time to develop anything that I wanted to see more of though. Guessing the books give him some more time in the story.

Arya continues to be an amazing character. Her laugh at the gates when they told her her Aunt was dead was perfectly priceless. That girl has got some acting chops and that character is pretty much 1A with Tyrion for the tops of the show.

I can now see why everyone told me to hang on with Jon Snow and the Wall storyline. That battle was brilliant. The camera work was amazing. The 360 shot of the ongoing battle inside Castle Black was the best camera work of the show to date. I don't know how it's possible but the show is actually getting better.

I have 2 more episodes for season 4 then I am all caught up and ready to go for season 5. But so far my favorite characters are Arya and Tyrion, by far. They are the Winston and Mariota of this QB class. Right below them has now become Littlefinger and Sansa. Her testimony scene was brilliant. The way he talks is grating (someone mentioned somewhere that it's akin to Bale's Batman which I think is a perfect analogy) but at this point in the show right now everything that has happened has been because of Littlefinger's ambition for power and desire for Cat Stark. Her wearing the black dress and trying to look like her mom for him was brilliant as well. If the books write these scenes as well as HBO is filiming them then I can understand the devotion they have.

Right below them I have come to enjoy Jamie Lanisster more than I should, the rape scene aside. I don't look at that scene like he is scum so much that Cersei needed to be subjected to something like that. And then Daeny. Her scene with the Unsullied was probably the sexiest scene in the show, but her story is starting to annoy me just a little. I get she is building an army but at the same time unless there is something coming down the pike connecting her newly conquered lands with the main empire, then for me, I get it - she freed slaves, grew into power, learned how to execute it, has found that she can't trust anyone very much, and has become a Queen from the tiny little girl whose brother would sell her to anyone that would give him a throne. I don't need to be told that story anymore. Get her across the ocean or start connecting that story somehow.

Sam and his girlfriend...... meh. That part of the story feels more soap-opera-ish then some of the other relationships do. Yeah, we get it, even the weakest amongst us can be strong and find love. Move on. Neither one of them are compelling characters yet for me. And finally the Greyjoy guy that was castrated and the new lords of the north storyline. Whenever that guy dies it's going to be merciful and the rest of that clan I can see being a huge problem down the line. I wonder if the goal there is to get Jon Snow back into the North and fight to retake it with the help of Sansa and or Arya before they ultimately set their sights on King's Landing.

Would be cool if Season 5 set up a story line where Dany starts her invasion at the same time that Snow and the Starks retake the north and start coming south and then Season 6 is figuring out who between them is going to rule the empire. Or, if we are to follow the War of the Roses, the Lannisters aren't done yet. :shrug: Great show. Happy I caught on to it. Debating grabbing the books to enjoy the world more.

Agree with everything you said to the T, especially the Dany part. It's essentially 4 seasons of her walking and doing different versions of the same thing. It's almost as if they couldn't decide on which story to use they're using all of them.

Agree with everything you said to the T, especially the Dany part. It's essentially 4 seasons of her walking and doing different versions of the same thing. It's almost as if they couldn't decide on which story to use they're using all of them.
Yup. Although, to be fair to the story, the dragons need to grow before they are the force that the world makes them out to be, so she needed the time. She also has to learn that slavery in the form of that empire is pretty much necessary to the functioning of an empire of any great size. You can certainly have benevolent masters, but you have to have masters if you are going to rule any large group of people over grand areas of land. So she has to learn all of that if she is going to be a good Queen and not a mad one like her grandfather - unless they are giving us all of this backstory to see how dragon power can drive you mad and she turns out to be just as bad as her family ended up being - which in this world isn't a stretch since there are no real true good guys anyway.

I purchased the audio book that doesn't exist on audible.

I know there are going to be differences but does anybody know how far into the books the show is?

Every time I find myself trying to like Jaime Lannister's character, I then remember he tried to slaughter a little kid by throwing him from a tower.

Which leads to thoughts about forgiveness, what acts if any are unforgivable, etc. Which as Yankee said, is a sign of a good show when it gets you thinking about it when not watching it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased the audio book that doesn't exist on audible.

I know there are going to be differences but does anybody know how far into the books the show is?
The show has caught up to the books in some storylines......but for the most part, this season will be a combination of the 4th and 5th books. (Martin originally wrote 4 and 5 together, found he had so much info he split them into two books with the fourth book explaining what happened to several characters and the fifth explaining what happened to others.)

Every time I find myself trying to like Jaime Lannister's character, I then remember he tried to slaughter a little kid by throwing him from a tower.

Which leads to thoughts about forgiveness, what acts if any are unforgivable, etc. Which as Yankee said, is a sign of a good show when it gets you thinking about it when not watching it.
I think I'm over that because, (1) he lived and (2) it appears that the injury led him to be able to understand his power or find it. So in some ways, what Jamie did to him, while awful, might end up being a total good for the overall story. Which does fit into the whole "everything is a shade of grey here" and there are no real good guys.

I guess the closest good guy at the moment is Jon Snow. I can't think of anything that is a shade of grey for him save betraying the wildling girl who loved him. But that is a minor "sin" in the grand scheme of this story.

I think I'm over that because, (1) he lived and (2) it appears that the injury led him to be able to understand his power or find it. So in some ways, what Jamie did to him, while awful, might end up being a total good for the overall story. Which does fit into the whole "everything is a shade of grey here" and there are no real good guys.I guess the closest good guy at the moment is Jon Snow. I can't think of anything that is a shade of grey for him save betraying the wildling girl who loved him. But that is a minor "sin" in the grand scheme of this story.
Sam is probably the most squeaky clean character. Khaleesi hasn't done much that can't be justified as self protection or righteous justice. However, like pointed out, every action comes with a consequence and there is collateral damage with even the most just action.

I think I'm over that because, (1) he lived and (2) it appears that the injury led him to be able to understand his power or find it. So in some ways, what Jamie did to him, while awful, might end up being a total good for the overall story. Which does fit into the whole "everything is a shade of grey here" and there are no real good guys.I guess the closest good guy at the moment is Jon Snow. I can't think of anything that is a shade of grey for him save betraying the wildling girl who loved him. But that is a minor "sin" in the grand scheme of this story.
Sam is probably the most squeaky clean character. Khaleesi hasn't done much that can't be justified as self protection or righteous justice. However, like pointed out, every action comes with a consequence and there is collateral damage with even the most just action.
She isn't going to be able to control those dragons. She is going to have a dark story line before long I think.

Hmmm... How about this. Dany finally invades but can't control her dragons from killing innocent people. Snow with the help of Sansa and her new kingdom, and Arya fresh from being fully trained as an assassin, invade as well. Bran catches up with them and helps them somehow or figures out a way to control the dragons. To bring peace the Starks allign with Dany and Bran marries Dany. They rule together, she is the dragons mother and he can control them.

It could work. OR they could all die in the first episode of season 5. Who the heck knows.

She isn't going to be able to control those dragons. She is going to have a dark story line before long I think. Hmmm... How about this. Dany finally invades but can't control her dragons from killing innocent people. Snow with the help of Sansa and her new kingdom, and Arya fresh from being fully trained as an assassin, invade as well. Bran catches up with them and helps them somehow or figures out a way to control the dragons. To bring peace the Starks allign with Dany and Bran marries Dany. They rule together, she is the dragons mother and he can control them.

It could work. OR they could all die in the first episode of season 5. Who the heck knows.
The obvious story is Bran worgs to control the dragons and kill the zombies. Snow and Khaleesi marry each other.

She isn't going to be able to control those dragons. She is going to have a dark story line before long I think. Hmmm... How about this. Dany finally invades but can't control her dragons from killing innocent people. Snow with the help of Sansa and her new kingdom, and Arya fresh from being fully trained as an assassin, invade as well. Bran catches up with them and helps them somehow or figures out a way to control the dragons. To bring peace the Starks allign with Dany and Bran marries Dany. They rule together, she is the dragons mother and he can control them.

The obvious story is Bran worgs to control the dragons and kill the zombies. Snow and Khaleesi marry each other.
Dany would have to be on that side of the ocean first so she already invaded. I don't remember the map... is it possible for her to invade and take over Braavos first? She would have a superior army, dragons, and control of all the gold in the kingdom, not to mention own the Lannisters at the same time.

I like my idea of Dany taking Braavos more and more. There has to be some reason why Martin kept her in the east for so long to build up such an army beyond just needing the dragons to grow. I checked the map and Braavos is in the northern part of the east. So she could easily attack Braavos and by doing so control the iron bank. With that control she basically controls the entire kingdom, east and west, and can use the dragons as the enforcers of the iron bank and play kingmaker in the west. She would end up controlling not just the Iron Throne through the power of the purse but she would actually be more powerful than her family ever was. It could work.

they are becomng increasingly difficult to control. two are locked up and the big fella has gone rogue. ineffective single parenting.

I thought the end of season 4 was a bit of a letdown. Skeletons popping up out of the ice?? Bran is easily my least favorite storyline.

PASADENA, Calif. (AP) — "Game of Thrones" addicts, begin the countdown: HBO's series is returning in April.The cable channel said Thursday that 10 episodes of "Game of Thrones" will show during its fifth season that begins April 12. Also returning that day are the comedies "Silicon Valley" and "Veep."
Glad to see SV and VP were both extended. SV especially has so much potential.

Right below them I have come to enjoy Jamie Lanisster more than I should, the rape scene aside. I don't look at that scene like he is scum so much that Cersei needed to be subjected to something like that.

<snip>

Great show. Happy I caught on to it. Debating grabbing the books to enjoy the world more.
I agree with almost your entire post, and it's great to see someone enjoying this for the first time. I'd definitely get the books if you are a reader, you won't be disappointed except when you get to the end and you have to wait years for the next one.

As for the scene with Jamie and Cersei - it wasn't rape. I know it came off that way on the show, but Martin and the director later said it was not supposed to be rape, but they can understand why some people thought that is what it was. It's easier in the book, because in a scene like that, they can show you what the characters are thinking (or at least, the PoV character). Anyways, minor point, it was definitely a disturbing scene, but it was intended to be consensual.

Just watching the show now. Up to the middle of Season 2. Really enjoying the banter between Tywin Lannister and Arya. I am almost certain he knows it is her, he is just playing with her, trying to get some information.

When does HBO begin airing season 5? A colleague of mine lent me all four seasons on BD and I've binge watched myself into being all caught up.

Users who are viewing this thread